Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost plus sofa sale delivery charge??

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

The headline is very clear "Get the ultimate room package including a 42" Samsung HDTV". This makes it clear - in the headline part of the advert - not in the small print that the TV is part of the package and is not free.

So let me get this right, a customer purchases the ultimate room package at X cost, and in that cost the price of the TV is included? Or does the TV cost extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Can I remind all posters to engage meaningfully with Cost Plus Sofas

(this is more of a future warning in the event that any flaming starts)

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Cost Plus Sofas

The TV is included in that price. So, as advertised you can get a 3 seater, 2 seater, coffee table, two side tables and TV from 1,299 euro (depending on which sofa and tables you choose). The 42" Samsung HD TV is included within the 1,299. It is a genuine honest good deal!

Sorry for any misunderstandings. Did mention in earlier postings that it's about 260 euro for the 42" HD TV part of the package. This is of the 1,299 total - and so is included, no extra to pay.

In short, you pay from 1,299 for everything INCLUDING the TV. Hope this clarifies better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

The TV is included in that price. So, as advertised you can get a 3 seater, 2 seater, coffee table, two side tables and TV from 1,299 euro (depending on which sofa and tables you choose). The 42" Samsung HD TV is included within the 1,299. It is a genuine honest good deal!

Sorry for any misunderstandings. Did mention in earlier postings that it's about 260 euro for the 42" HD TV part of the package. This is of the 1,299 total - and so is included, no extra to pay.

In short, you pay from 1,299 for everything INCLUDING the TV. Hope this clarifies better :)

It does explain things much better - all items, including the TV, are subsidised into a package deal. I can also understand the reason for stipulating the TV as an enticement in the advertisement.

However, not all customers will have a CPS representative standing beside them spelling out the meaning of the advertising, so might want to be a little clearer with the promotional advertising in future :p

Thanks - all fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Thanks for clarifying. I misunderstood also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shazaofla

I am very unhappy with an experience I received from Cost Plus over self accepted internal issues with an employee.

We bought a house in Feb 09 and while we were waiting for it to be completed- we purchased a couch off <snip> in the mullingar store. We advised at the time of purchase we didnt want to buy at the time as we knew we'd have delays however the very pushy salesman insisted and advised of sales however he confirmed he will hold it until we need it (April 09) at no extra charge.

About 3 wks later- we get a call from the store to advise that their warehouse was flooding and they asked if we could collect our couch as otherwise it would get damaged and they couldnt guarntee an exact replacement! We travelled from Limerick- rented a trailer and hauled our couch outta there under verbal agreement that the warranty wont start until April when they couches will be used.

In Nov, one of the recliners stopped clicking back in- we popped into our local store in March-Limerick who diverted us to the Mullingar store. (personal reasons that we genuinely couldnt get in any sooner however we made sure to be back in before warranty) After 5 wks of constantly calling for the manager- he finally called me back! (shockin service) to advise the warranty kicked in from Feb and they had fired our original sales person <snip> for 'over promising' to customers? I dont see how this was my issue! I advised we can get call records pulled showing he called us regarding the flooding- surely video footage would show us collecting it! I was absolutely livid when we basically got told to bugger off! These were expensive couches with only 2 adults using them about a total of 8 hours a week... We really are not high maintenance! I'm absolutely disgusted with Cost Plus Sofas!!

can you advise where I go to follow up on this? I've been researching and cannot find a regulator of your industry? Small claims court??

Anyone able to help? I've joined Boards.ie for this reason only! To show the truth behind the bull!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭lip

Costplussofa,that does clear it up,and that was my understanding of it at first. Unfortunately the salesman told me a completely different version,ie that the insurance was included in the price but not the tv,that was given at a discounted rate on top of the advertised price.Still by my calculations I was being overcharged,but by E16 rather than E266.Its all irrelevant now anyway as I cancelled my order.
    Maybe managers should be insuring that all their staff know what the offers entail to ensure mix ups like this don't happen.
    Shazaofla,I definately don't think you should be penalised for their former employees misleading behaviour.Surely they should replace your sofa,even as a good will gesture,considering they were the ones who employed this person in the first place.Hope you get it sorted without having to go to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

shazaofla wrote: »
    I am very unhappy with an experience I received from Cost Plus over self accepted internal issues with an employee.

We bought a house in Feb 09 and while we were waiting for it to be completed- we purchased a couch off <snip> in the mullingar store. We advised at the time of purchase we didnt want to buy at the time as we knew we'd have delays however the very pushy salesman insisted and advised of sales however he confirmed he will hold it until we need it (April 09) at no extra charge.

About 3 wks later- we get a call from the store to advise that their warehouse was flooding and they asked if we could collect our couch as otherwise it would get damaged and they couldnt guarntee an exact replacement! We travelled from Limerick- rented a trailer and hauled our couch outta there under verbal agreement that the warranty wont start until April when they couches will be used.

In Nov, one of the recliners stopped clicking back in- we popped into our local store in March-Limerick who diverted us to the Mullingar store. (personal reasons that we genuinely couldnt get in any sooner however we made sure to be back in before warranty) After 5 wks of constantly calling for the manager- he finally called me back! (shockin service) to advise the warranty kicked in from Feb and they had fired our original sales person <snip> for 'over promising' to customers? I dont see how this was my issue! I advised we can get call records pulled showing he called us regarding the flooding- surely video footage would show us collecting it! I was absolutely livid when we basically got told to bugger off! These were expensive couches with only 2 adults using them about a total of 8 hours a week... We really are not high maintenance! I'm absolutely disgusted with Cost Plus Sofas!!

can you advise where I go to follow up on this? I've been researching and cannot find a regulator of your industry? Small claims court??

Anyone able to help? I've joined Boards.ie for this reason only! To show the truth behind the bull!
    Go to the National Consumer Agency, I personally wouldn't have collected the sofa initially. If their warehouse floods thats their problem, when you collected it did you see flooding?

It sounds to me they used it as an excuse to get stock out the door so they could meet their targets that month. You have possibly been had

Ask him to show you paperwork that shows what date the sofa was collected on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shazaofla

Go to the National Consumer Agency, I personally wouldn't have collected the sofa initially. If their warehouse floods thats their problem, when you collected it did you see flooding?

It sounds to me they used it as an excuse to get stock out the door so they could meet their targets that month. You have possibly been had

Ask him to show you paperwork that shows what date the sofa was collected on
    Thanks for the info. When we collected the furniture- we did genuinely see the floods- they only had corriugated roofing and there was loads of furniture ruined.. To be honest- in hind sight, I do believe we've been had though. I'm just so annoyed about it all.. It would cost them 150 euro to fix our furniture.. I've never ever tried to screw anyone in my life and considering we have a genuine issue- you'd like to believe they'd look after you for helping them out! they showed us the paperwork confirming the collection date but I was advised that 'a verbal contract is not legal binding'.. Gotta love it eh! Do cost plus reply to these posts? I'd love to see what they've to say for themselves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

They do reply but this is not a consumer support forum. Posting something here means nothing, there is no expectation that they will return & resolve your issue.

In the meantime I would put your issue in writing, a letter not email and post it off to them. Give them 21 days to respond. Stick to facts in the letter not emotion. Remove 'apalling, pushy etc' from the letter before you print it.

Be polite but straighforward. State the issue, why it is their responsibility to sort the issue and how you would like it resolved.

Your post above is a little emotional , best to write these things with a clear head.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dorky dave

Hi all,
    I would like to add to these posts by advising consumers that the add on TV for an implied ‘free’ 50inch during the June bank holiday TV is really just a scam. We visited the shop today and were looking forward to coming home with the room deal. The sales consultant clearly told us that the TV came completely free with the package we were looking at. Yet when you look at the break down pricing of the couch, coffee table and side tables you soon see why. You would get similar side tables in Ikea for around 40 Euros yet cost plus sofas value their side tables at E229 each! This in addition to the coffee table adds up to a whopping E750 which you have to pay full price for in addition to the couch, for your ‘free’ TV. When I asked the material in the coffee table etc I was told it was MDF, on acting astonished at the price, the consultant quickly changed tune and came back from his manger stating they were ‘hard wood’. I didn’t buy this and asked could I look around and choose a different coffee set table. The consultant said “no problem, by choosing a cheaper set you will reduce the price of the room deal and still get a free TV”. After looking for an hour, we came back with our chosen room deal which should have come to E1425, yet Cost Plus Sofas had the audacity to try and charge us E2099. The consultant now explained that you only get the ‘free’ TV with certain deals, so as the coffee table set was cheaper they were trying to charge us E670 for the TV, and proclaimed this is still a good deal.

So in summary, on all room deals, there is no free TV, in fact you are charged nearly E950 for the TV, the discount you are given is on over-priced coffee table sets - the more over-priced the set - the greater the discount. I just don’t understand why they are wasting their own advertising money and consumer’s time, if you advertise something, and people travel to your shop with expectations, and you greatly disappoint those expectations than the consumer spends zilch and you go out of business. Why not be honest and advertise a deal when there really is a deal – not scam. We had money to spend today and now will simply take that business elsewhere. I also rang to complain and was promised phone calls back from the manager – but they mustn’t care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

What everyone has to realise is Cost Plus Sofas are basically the same people who ran Courts. - Remember when they closed down and left many high & dry.

Most of their product is from china and whilst there is nothing wrong with that, it is cheap and is no better or wrose that other chinese made furniture. - Except they seem to charge way over what would be considered reasonable for a product of the quality provided.

ASftersales service - NON EXISTENT. Just google Cost Plus Sofa problems and see the number of threads. Customers have even had to take the company to samll claims courts to get satisfaction - still the company refused to budge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mnm

I myself went for the deal i saw on the tv for this weekend, when i saw the first set of sofa,s that come on the ad the 3 seater and 2 seater black leather recliner sofas ad says (get it all 3 seater sofa 2 seater sofa, set of coffee tables and a 50inch tv) and while all this is being said the camera is zooming in on these sofa,s, ok fine with me if the tv aint free and part of package my problem is i was told these sofa,s are not in package ?????

I asked why they where advertised like that then and was told it was only the ones advertised after that one' in the same ad because they had the prices on them and that did not.

How misleading is that i mean i see and ad saying get 2 seater sofa and the show that sofa why would i not think they meant that sofa??? i have this ad on my sky plus and have rewound several times and there is no small print saying this is not the sofa what a joke!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Make a complaint about the ad on the complaint section of the advertising standard authority's site here

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

dorky dave wrote: »
    Hi all,
    So in summary, on all room deals, there is no free TV, in fact you are charged nearly E950 for the TV, the discount you are given is on over-priced coffee table sets - the more over-priced the set - the greater the discount. I just don’t understand why they are wasting their own advertising money and consumer’s time, if you advertise something, and people travel to your shop with expectations, and you greatly disappoint those expectations than the consumer spends zilch and you go out of business. Why not be honest and advertise a deal when there really is a deal – not scam. We had money to spend today and now will simply take that business elsewhere. I also rang to complain and was promised phone calls back from the manager – but they mustn’t care.

Was in the store at the weekend after looking at some of the deals in ithe press and on the television. I was disappointed as they deals didn't seem to match up with what we had seen. Wasn't out to read the small print of ads to make sure CPS were in the right. From a customer point of view, I turned on my heel and walked out - end of.

Hi Tony,

To clarify this - it is around €250 extra that you pay for the 50" TV, over the price of the sofas, not €950.

Overall, the deals start at €1,299 for a 3 seater, 2 seater, coffee table, two end tables and including the 50" TV, which is a good deal in our view.

We do work hard to ensure coffee tables are competitive, as they are for all sofas.

We work hard to ensure all the deals in-store are always the same as we advertise and in 99.99% of times they are. In very isolated cases where not, it will usually be corrected on the spot.

Do ask if anything else!

All the best,

Cost Plus Sofas

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭xTanyax

I ordered a suite from there (cost plus sofas) a few days ago. Loong story short the suite was an inch out (length ways) & the delivery guy wouldn't take the packaging off to see if that would give us extra space, he didn't even try standing it vertically etc to get it in, his helper just said we're in a hurry we have more deliveries to do'. He wasn't in my house 5 minutes! Well i had to send it back, i was very upset because i really wanted this particular suite. The girl in store told me to make sure my door was 29inches wide, mine is 31. I ended up getting a credit note & then set about looking at other suites. I choose a package deal, 3, 2 seater, coffee table, 2 side tables & a 50inch tv. Now it turns out this is not in store, but i was told it was arriving next week & i would have it by the 10th of December. I just hope it will arrive on time! Are your deliveries fairly reliable? Once i have it for Christmas ok, otherwise it would be awful. Is there any way i can keep a track on the container etc? The guy said it wasn't in any other store. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You can track a container but you dont need to. Just track the ship and feeder vessel. Having said all that you could track it perfectly and its allowed a week(I think) free days in dublin port. The customer can leave it longer if they dont have the room.

i would not waste my time however. There is too many veriables between the container and your door.

All the shop has to say....Ahhh that was not your colour....We have this colour(peach melba) here if you would rater take this.

For the record i would love peoples opinions on the deal...Any situation where your taking this deal for the tv rather than the sofa cannot say a lot.

Hi Tanyax,

Sorry to hear about the sofa not fitting through the doorway and the problems caused from this.

Our sofa deliveries from all suppliers worldwide are progressing smoothly this year. Touch wood!

We fully know how vital it is for many of our customers to get delivery in time for Christmas. So we have built in quite a bit of contingency into our delivery date estimates this year given to you when you ordered, i.e. we have been quite cautious.

Also, there are no major hiccups this year with Somali pirates, major hurricanes or anything else. And in our back office we continue to track daily all container ETAs (estimated time of arrival). If any problems, we have company procedures to phone you to update you. This year so far all is running smoothly with ensuring customers get sofas requested by Christmas before then.

If you would like any reassurance, please do give you Customer Order ID, from your Cost Plus paperwork, and we'll ask someone from the team here to give you a call.

Kind regards,

Cost Plus Sofas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 col38

I recently visited Cost Plus Sofas in Dublin to look at the TV deal. The furniture on offer with the deal is not good value as its not good quality. In a previous job I traveled to some low cost manufacturers in China and sofa sets (3+2) like this can be purchased landed in Ireland for under $350 (approx €275). Granted they need a margin but if the furniture costs this little to begin with its not going to be up to much. Buyer beware!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭xTanyax

I've just been looking over my receipt and it says Samsung@ 689euros!:confused:

3 seater @499
    2 seater @399
    Coffee Table @149
    2 End tables @198
    Samsung tv @689

Total 1,939.00 Package savings -245 Total=1,689.00 So it looks as if i paid Alot more than 250 for the tv!:mad: So if anyone can work out there exactley what I paid for the TV? Also still waiting for the furniture. Cost plus I'll be fowarding my order id on to you, Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dont accept lessa

hi

Ive been shopping around and looked at this offer, to me it is good but when i went to the store it seemed only so many sets were genuine offers, and everything outside of the advertised specials got a discount. So it looks like you got a couple of hundred quid off.

If the tv as you say on your receipt was 689e and you got 250e off that, makes it 439e. Not bad for a 50 inch tv really i suppose, ive just paid 499e for a 32 inch sony bravia!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

so glad I found this thread before I went down the road of the "deal". we'd been feeling sad that we hadn't got the space to avail of it but now I feel better...have to say, the 2 seater sofa my parents got just before christmas for 300 euro is the most comfortable sofa Ive ever sat on. hopefully it'll last them...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

What's the story with the new "buy the room, get the iPad" deal, is the iPad free?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

hellboy99 wrote: »
    What's the story with the new "buy the room, get the iPad" deal, is the iPad free?

Don't you think if they were offering a free iPad they would say free iPad? That would be a far better sales clincher.
    No the ipad is not free, they'll just sell you one if you buy their sofa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SMF

Hello all, new to boards.ie..... I've been watching "this bank holiday buy the room get a 50" panasonic tv" ads all weekend - I went into CostPlusSofas (guy seemed genuine enough) & they say the sofas would be here in a week - DID will then deliver the TV directly (2-3 weeks) - I looked up the TV on the DID website (it's out of stock until 5th July) so I rang them to verify - They say even when TV is back in stock they've back orders to fill 1st.

Has anyone bought this package and been happy etc...?
    doesn't seem to be alot of love for Cost Plus!!!!

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Glad i found this thread, a cousin of mine was going to buy one of these this weekend now after he read this thread there's no way he will be buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

honestly I would stay well clear.. we got a second sofa as a replacement to the first one due to spills etc on an insurance policy..the second sofa was absolutely rubbish despite retailiing at 1000euro.. if it cost 150 euro to make I would be astonished as it fell apart after a 4 months and is now in the dump...

• Advertisement
Advertisement