Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I likely to get 24 MB on this line?

• 28-03-2010 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

DSL Mode: ADSL2+ Speed: 12287 kbps /670 kbps Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 35 dB /19 dB DSL Noise Margin: 5 dB /18 dB

I've seen several threads here that discuss line speeds, I"m currently getting aprox 10 MB on this line. Am I able to get the whole thing on this kind of line?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

DSL Mode: ADSL2+ Speed: 12287 kbps /670 kbps Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 35 dB /19 dB DSL Noise Margin: 5 dB /18 dB

I've seen several threads here that discuss line speeds, I"m currently getting aprox 10 MB on this line. Am I able to get the whole thing on this kind of line?

No. Attenuation is too high and SNR margin is already uncomfortably low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Spear wrote: »
    No. Attenuation is too high and SNR margin is already uncomfortably low.

agreed the attenuation is way to high and SNR is very low im suprised your line is even taking 10mb speed

just a quick question does anyone know if 24mb will work on my router ?dsl stats are ::

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 128 SN Margin (dB) 19.50 25.00 Line Attenuation (dB) 11.50 6.00 CRC Errors 0 1:D:D seems like i can but im not completely sure ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The line should manage up to 20 mbps, but the quality of each individual line has more of an influence at the highest speeds so local quirks and sources of noise could keep you down as low as 16 mbps in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭witless_steve

Is there anything I can do to improve the quality of my line? I do get a low level hum on the line when making phone calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Is there anything I can do to improve the quality of my line? I do get a low level hum on the line when making phone calls.

report the hum (DO NOT MENTION broadband) and say it interferes with your calls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭BaldiePablo

Steve, the hum would probably impact what speeds you can get but with 35dB you'll never see 24Mb!!

I had the same problem where I could only get 2Mb sync on the line until I changed the wiring myself (wouldnt try that again btw!!!!) and now I'm getting 7Mb sync on 42dB. Better than nothing I suppose ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭witless_steve

Eircom did a little tweaking and removed the hum. The box in the hall isn't the main connection though, they think it might be in the attic somewhere. If I popped up there and removed all phone extensions from this master connection would it improve my line quality much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭swoofer

defenitely, i did and speed went from 3.5mb to over 6mb and i am 4.5km from exchange. I bet if you look in loft you will find all wires lumped together, lazy way. Trace the socket where your router is join those 2 to the 2, co8our to colour, incoming from the NTU. Switch on router check speeds and you should see a big improvement, attenutaion should drop and s/n rise for downstreanm. Speed wont increase until you ring your ISP and then they will ramp up line.

BUT take a reading BEFORE you join wires.

And take off any phones faxes for the first test. You want BB test at its limit.

gb--

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

ive to ring eircom up myself as when i signed up i was told my line could take around 15MB its one the reasons i upgraded, well that was with my old line attenuation of 28dB downstream, funny how it changed to 32dB once i was upgraded to adsl2+

anyway heres my stats im getting roughly the same speeds as you too, and the never drop any lower then 9.5mb

DSL Mode: ADSL2+
    Speed: 12287 kbps /670 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 32 dB /16 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 10 dB /18 dB

782207908.png
    14761577.png

the recommended server in speedtest keeps changing on me too from dublin to galway, wonder why thats happening

anyone recon ill have any luck getting moved up to the next profile? if it makes my connection unstable i can always get it moved back down as i wouldnt mind a little bit of extra upload speed

you should ring them and when they increase speed the attenuation goes up but pings may go down. At least they can try it out. S/n is good too. Have you a good router?

gb--

• Advertisement

nope i havnt am using the crappy black zyxel one that eircom sent out

just changed over to the old silver netopia one there to see if anything improved and got these stats

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 12282 668
    SN Margin (dB) 13.50 19.10
    Line Attenuation (dB) 32.00 14.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

What about these stats?

Connection Speed: 10365 kbps up & 576 kbps down.
    Line Attenuation: 32db down & 6 db up
    Noise Margin: 23 db down & 24db up.

32dB down will give you roughly what i can get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'm on Smart Telecom (LLU) at the moment. Might ask a few questions on their boards and see what this line is actually capable of.

solair with that s/n for down your line could be ramped up.

gb--

with a good router you can still keep connected with a low s/n. I have a netgear dg934n and it hangs on for dear life, I can go as low as 5.8db. And in tests apparently it still hung on at 0db s/n.

gb--

It can hang on once SNR remains above 3dB for ADSL2 and ADSL2+ or 6dB for ADSL. The signal margin however takes that bit into account so the signal margin must simply be greater than 0 for a line to remain connected. A 6dB means there's literally a margin of 6dB signal before the noise becomes too great and disconnects the line.

6dB can fluctuate a lot in a matter of seconds, depending on the line and environment which is why some lines will suffer disconnects while others (like one of my own) manages just fine with 19868/1021 and a signal margin of 5.8dB. No disconnects.

dazdrog, your line can handle 14 mbps I'd say. Ring eircom and ask for the profile to be changed to 14 or maybe 13 if you don't want to risk it too much. Your line is currently set to 12288/672. Solair, your line can handle more again, upwards of 16 mbps is a safe guess. That profile is probably tied to a target SNR like BT connections are in the UK.

that was less hassle then i thought it would be rang them up and got thru to a lad called dominic, said about the speeds thats their sales team told me my line could take and so on asked to be moved upto the next profile up and he did it with out asking many questions just said what i already knew. told me if the connection isnt stable to ring up and get moved down one more profile

so far so good anyway, line seams be nice and stable and im already getting 2mb more on my speedtests, but im sure time will tell anyway once the copper starts get a little more busy as kids come home from school

anyway heres my new line stats and a few tests

DSL Mode: ADSL2+
    Speed: 15068 kbps /765 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 32 dB /16 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 5 dB /15 dB

783126054.png
    783127651.png
    783128406.png

14820887.png
    14820930.png
    14820971.png

connection has been iffy today, max speed im gettin on downloads is around 500-600kbps with a few pauses in the downloads, while yesterday i was getting around a average of 1400-1500kbps, rang support up today and could barley hear the guy on the other side, strange this as all other calls where fine. anyway i asked to be lowerd from the 15357/765 profile to say a mb less but that i wanted try keep the upload speed so asked if 14357/765 was possible, and was told that he could only lower me back to the 12mb profile or move me up to 17mb. is this in anyway true? i want to get the most out of my line as its what im paying for

ive also gone back to the netopia modem as it seams be able to hold the sync speed better

heres my stats and a few tests :(

Line State Up
    Modulation ADSL2+
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 15357 765
    SN Margin (dB) 6.00 15.90
    Line Attenuation (dB) 32.00 14.50
    CRC Errors 24 0

EDIT:- it seems to of gone back to near normal now but heres 2 speedtests from today

788474797.png
    788616300.png

and heres one from now

788766913.png

If the download speed is fluctuating, it could be due to eircom's own network being under pressure or contention issues etc.

Unless the modem actually loses sync then I wouldn't be concerned with the line speed. It seems to be hanging on to the full 15 mbps so leave it at that unless the DSL connection is experiencing dropouts.

For the record, the 15 mbps profile max sync speed is 15360/768.

• Advertisement

speeds do be up and down like a yoyo at peak times, whats the connection ratio on the upto 24mb service? 48-1? if it is its a bit harsh

sync speed does change a good bit tho, think the lowest i seen it sync at in the last few days was around the 14800 mark but it mainly syncs above the 15000 mark

i know when my profile has changed as my recomended server in speedtest.net changes from dublin to galway, strange that.

Advertisement