Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bayern Munich vs. Manchester United

• 28-03-2010 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Very much looking forward to this game.

Robben being out would be a big boost to United, only one top class winger to deal with rather than two. Also their winger is now up against Evra I hope rather than our weaker side.

I think United will line up like this:

VDS
    --Neville--Ferdinand--Vidic--Evra--
    Fletcher---Carrick
    --Valencia
    Park
    Nani---
    Rooney

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

I'll quote my post from the United thread regarding the game.
    Bayern are likely to without Robben, Schweinsteiger (suspended) and Gomez.

Center back Demichelis suffered 3 facial fractures from a Michael Ballack challenge during internation duty and has been out of action for the past 4 weeks, the injury has meant that left back Badstuber (21yo) has had to step into CB, with Alaba (A 17yo Midfielder) being deployed as left back. Demichelis played only 7mins today and may be available for Tues but will have to wear a protective facemask.

Bayern started the season playing a 4-2-3-1 (or 4-3-3 ) type formation but only managed to pick up 3 wins from their first 8 league games. They then switched to the more traditional 4-4-2, and had gone 18 league games unbeaten since then. However, interestingly enough in the past week the have suddenly reverted back to the 4-2-3-1. Since then a 2-1 loss last week, a scrapy 1-0 (aet) win in the Cup on Wed and a 2-1 home defeat today have been their results.

My only conclusion to this is that the changes were only made with a view to the United match, and they plan to play a 3-man midfield so they are not over run by our 3-man midfield of Carrick, Fletcher and Park. So I'm expecting Bayern to line up 4-2-3-1 on Tues.

If that's the case,Likely team:

Butt----
    Lamb --- Van Buyten --- Badstuber---Abala/Contento
    Van Bommel---Tymoschuk----
    Muller/Olic
    Olic/Muller
    Ribery
    Kolse

If Demichelis starts, expect Badstuber go left back with either Abala or Contento making way.

If we can get a good strangle of midfield I think we can win by 2 or 3 goals, Valencia against Abala or Contento would be an interesting match up. I'd rather Nani over Park on the left (I think Park will play AM like against Pool/Milan), as his pace in behind will push Lamb back, therefore nullifying his attacking threat.

If Robben plays he will probably only play the 2nd half. It alos looks like Demichelis will start too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Van Bommel is the key if Bayern want to win imo. Bommel will be kicking Rooney around the pitch, and if he can do a job on him then Bayern will have a good crack at this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

PHB wrote: »

VDS
    --Rafael--Ferdinand--Vidic--Evra--
    Fletcher---Carrick
    --Valencia
    Park
    Nani---
    Rooney

I expect Rafael to play simply because i think he is that bit quicker then Neville but Nev has done really well in the last 3 games. Also expect Carrick to start :o

I really looking forward to this game, more so then the Chelski game on saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

From saturdays team against Bolton, out will go Evans, Scholes, Giggs and Berbatov and in will come Rio, Carrick, Park and Rooney..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I'd love to see:
    VDS
    Nev--Vida--Rio--Evra
    ---Park
    Fletcher---
    Valencia-Scholes-Nani
    Rooney

I think it'll be more like:
    VDS
    Raf--Vida--Rio--Evra
    Carrick
    ---Fletcher--Park---
    Valencia
    Giggs
    Rooney

Really looking forward to it, I love Champions League knock-out games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

This game has the makings of a cracker, UTD playing well and Bayern being underdogs.
    I think it could end up 1-1. Which would be advantage UTD but still leave the possibility of an upset for the return leg, where both Robben and Ribery might get some joy - as they have done in away legs this season.

After seeing a few games from Bayern in the group stages I cant see them toppling United. Time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

is ribery fit

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Probably only for 30 or so mins, hard to tell, I very much doubt he will start.
    He will probably play for longer in the return leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Last season Bayern looked like challengers but when the going got tough they fell apart. Same again this season please ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

So what is the exact deal with Ribery and Robben?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

both are doubts to one degree or another, i expect both to play though, Robben from the bench maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think United can win it. I have a good feeling with Bayern losing at the weekend and with doubts over their players. In the past United have played pretty well away from home but have tended to just do about enough to get the result. If the team performs at its best I can see United winning by two goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0329/manunited_rooneyw_ferdinandr.html
    Manchester United have received a Champions League boost after Wayne Rooney and Rio Ferdinand declared themselves fit for travel ahead of tomorrow's quarter-final with Bayern Munich.
    The England duo missed Saturday's 4-0 win at Bolton with a bruised foot and groin injury respectively.
    However, Alex Ferguson expressed confidence that the big-money pair would be available for the first leg encounter and both were among the United party that checked in at Manchester Airport on Monday morning.

United are looking for a positive result against the four-times winners to take into the Old Trafford decider next Wednesday.
    And for Ryan Giggs at least, the clash will bring back many happy memories of 11 years ago when late goals from Teddy Sheringham and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer saw United defeat the Germans 2-1 in the final in Barcelona.

I can't believe it's 11 years ago,' said the veteran Welshman.
    'It was one of the greatest nights of my life and for many fans too, this will bring back a lot of happy memories. 'We will settle for the same score as in 1999 too, but hopefully not leaving it as late as we did then.' That night remains the only time in seven encounters United have beaten the German giants.

Yet on every occasion, the outcome has been close, including Bayern's quarter-final triumph in 2001, when they won both legs by a single goal.
    It lends weight to Giggs' belief their next clash is too close to call.
    'I am a little bit surprised about our overall record but it has always been tight,' he said. 'It is usually difficult against German sides, and against the top ones even more so. 'We have won the European Cup three times. They have won it on four occasions so you are talking about two clubs with massive history; full of experience and full of great players so hopefully it's going to be a great spectacle.'

Giggs certainly expects it to be different to 1999, not least because Bayern no longer have the same physical characteristics. They are now more reliant on the stealth of Frank Ribery and Arjen Robben, who is rated as an extreme doubt anyway. 'The team we played against in 1999 was really powerful. It had strength all the way through,' said Giggs. 'Now Bayern have a lot of trickery with Ribery and Robben, and some other individual matchwinners.

'But our European record in recent times has been good and if we play to the best of our ability we really fancy ourselves.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

United squad that flew out to Munich:

Van Der Sar
    Foster
    Kuszczak

Neville
    Evra
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evans
    Rafael
    De Laet

Giggs
    Park
    Carrick
    Nani
    Scholes
    Fletcher
    Gibson
    Valencia
    Obertan

Rooney
    Berbatov
    Macheda

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Looks like I won't be able to watch this live :(

Here's hoping for a good result for United anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

I think United will win both legs

dubmick wrote: »
    I think United will win both legs

I'm confident we can get a good result in Munich, can't wait for this game.

Looking forward to this more then i was the L'pool or Chelski this saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Bit of a dead rubber really. United to win both legs. Gonna watch Lyon Bord game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Ya cant really see Munich causing too many problems especially if Robben doesnt make it. Schweinsteiger is a loss too and Utd are just too well organised. Van Gaal can make as many notes as he wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Dead rubber? Get away!

Really looking forward to this. I expect a tough first leg but think we can get at them on the counter. First win leg would again be huge for us.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Dead rubber? Get away!

Really looking forward to this. I expect a tough first leg but think we can get at them on the counter. First win leg would again be huge for us.

Like was expected against AC Milan?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Ush1 wrote: »
    Bit of a dead rubber really. United to win both legs. Gonna watch Lyon Bord game.

Wow

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Wow

Why? What are you expecting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Gonna watch Lyon Bord game.

Was that not a given considering you follow Lyon?

baz2009 wrote: »
    Was that not a given considering you follow Lyon?

I think it's more open than United Bayern although I think Bord will beat us over the two legs. Obviously I HOPE otherwise, but I'm realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'll go for score draw here, and then united to win by a goal or 2 at OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I think this will be a very close game that will probably be a draw or United might sneak a win. I don't think Robben is going to be out for the game. On Munichs website they describe his injury as a minor calf strain and he also finished the game which leads me to think it is just some mind games going on by Munich.

Can see us going through over the two legs but not as easily as some people think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I don't see Bayern winning either leg, maybe getting a score draw at home but United to beat them by 1 or 2 in OT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

The first game can't be a dead rubber by definition.

Agree that the French game is more evenly balanced though. I'll be recording it and watching it after.

s_carnage wrote: »
    I don't think Robben is going to be out for the game. On Munichs website they describe his injury as a minor calf strain and he also finished the game which leads me to think it is just some mind games going on by Munich.

Can see us going through over the two legs but not as easily as some people think.

Robben only finished the game because Bayern had already made their 3 substitutions. If Bayern wern't losing or had a spare sub they would've taken him off, no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Bread and Butter for united - 6-2 over the two legs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Don't know why some people are thinking this will be a walkover. It will be two tough games but I expect us to edge it over all. I'd go for 1-2 to United tomorrow.

One or two selection issue for United. Right back, and where Park will be fitted into the team, I wasn't sure before the weekend, but with Scholes playing in the center against Bolton for so long I expect Park to come back in there. Though there is the possibility of Giggs staying in the team, and either himself or Park on the left or them swapping.

I'll go for

VDS
    Rafeal
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra
    Fletcher
    Carrick
    Valencia
    Park
    Nani
    Rooney

Wouldn't be surprised though to see Neville in the team, but I doubt he will play all of Munich - Chelsea - Munich, so he will drop out somewhere, I'm going for tomorrow. Surprised he wasn't rested at the weekend really.

Giggs also has the chance to play and could come in for either Nani, or Park above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Robben failed to train this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Spud83 wrote: »
    Don't know why some people are thinking this will be a walkover. It will be two tough games but I expect us to edge it over all. I'd go for 1-2 to United tomorrow.

One or two selection issue for United. Right back, and where Park will be fitted into the team, I wasn't sure before the weekend, but with Scholes playing in the center against Bolton for so long I expect Park to come back in there. Though there is the possibility of Giggs staying in the team, and either himself or Park on the left or them swapping.

I'll go for

VDS
    Rafeal
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra
    Fletcher
    Carrick
    Valencia
    Park
    Nani
    Rooney

Wouldn't be surprised though to see Neville in the team, but I doubt he will play all of Munich - Chelsea - Munich, so he will drop out somewhere, I'm going for tomorrow. Surprised he wasn't rested at the weekend really.

Giggs also has the chance to play and could come in for either Nani, or Park above.

I reckon Giggs instead of Nani against Bayern so Nani is fresh to tear Chelsea apart again on Sunday!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I hear Robben hasnt trained today :):)

also could any utd player miss the 2nd leg by picking up a yellow ?

Headshot wrote: »
    I hear Robben hasnt trained today :):)

also could any utd player miss the 2nd leg by picking up a yellow ?

Vidic.

If we are winning late on, it would be good if he got booked. Rather than missing a semi.

Edit:

Full list:

Vidic - 2 - Besiktas (a), Wolfsburg (h)
    Carrick - 1 - Milan (a)
    Berbatov - 1 -CSKA Moscow (a)
    Fletcher - 1 -CSKA Moscow (h)
    Obertan - 1 -CSKA Moscow (h)
    Macheda - 1 -CSKA Moscow (h)
    Rooney - 1 -AC Milan (a)
    Scholes - 1 -AC Milan (h)

Bukman13 wrote: »
    Vidic.

If we are winning late on, it would be good if he got booked. Rather than missing a semi.

Edit:

Full list:

Vidic - 2 - Besiktas (a), Wolfsburg (h)
    Carrick - 1 - Milan (a)
    Berbatov - 1 -CSKA Moscow (a)
    Fletcher - 1 -CSKA Moscow (h)
    Obertan - 1 -CSKA Moscow (h)
    Macheda - 1 -CSKA Moscow (h)
    Rooney - 1 -AC Milan (a)
    Scholes - 1 -AC Milan (h)

Im not entirely sure on a couple of things here:

with Carrick being sent off in the Milan away game does that mean he is still on a yellow? and do bookings from group matches not get wiped out at any stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Is it 3 yellows for a suspension now? I thought it was 2, and group stage cards didn't count?

Im not entirely sure on a couple of things here:

with Carrick being sent off in the Milan away game does that mean he is still on a yellow? and do bookings from group matches not get wiped out at any stage?

Matches in the group stage do not get wiped away.

3yellows = a suspension,

After that, every 2nd yellow = a suspension. So your 5th and 7th yellow.

Only yellow cards in individual matchs count. So Carrick got two yellows against Milan (a). He has served his suspension for the red card, as punishment for getting sent off, but he still has 1 yellow card to his name.

• Advertisement

Bukman13 wrote: »
    Matches in the group stage do not get wiped away.

3yellows = a suspension,

After that, every 2nd yellow = a suspension. So your 5th and 7th yellow.

Only yellow cards in individual matchs count. So Carrick got two yellows against Milan (a). He has served his suspension for the red card, as punishment for getting sent off, but he still has 1 yellow card to his name.

Interesting. I always thought they got wiped going into the knockout rounds.

And the thing about Carrick seems totally stupid.

Interesting. I always thought they got wiped going into the knockout rounds.

And the thing about Carrick seems totally stupid.

Thats what it says on the official site.
    Article 22
    Yellow and red cards
    22.01 As a rule, a player who is sent off the field of play is suspended for the next
    match in a UEFA club competition. The Control and Disciplinary Body is
    entitled to augment this punishment. For serious offences the punishment
    can be extended to all UEFA competition categories.
    22.02 In case of repeated cautions:
    a) before the group stage, a player is suspended for the next competition
    match after two cautions in two different matches, as well as after the
    fourth and sixth caution;
    b) from the first match in the group stage, a player is suspended for the next
    competition match after three cautions in three different matches, as well
    as following any subsequent odd-numbered caution (fifth, seventh, ninth,
    etc.).

Link: http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/UCL/88/61/44/886144_DOWNLOAD.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

UTD to be the only english team to qualify for the semis.

Can see a solid 3 goal win on aggregate over the two legs.

Pro. F wrote: »
    The first game can't be a dead rubber by definition.

Agree that the French game is more evenly balanced though. I'll be recording it and watching it after.

Fair enough but you get what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I'm not that worried about Robben. Evra will keep him quiet IMO. I think we will win this. Get a result in Munich. Maybe 1-1 or 0-1. Go back to OT and trash them on the counter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,832 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Apperantly Robben is injured ? Great news for United if true.

Osu wrote: »
    I'm not that worried about Robben. Evra will keep him quiet IMO.

Not sure he will be fit to play. I honestly believe Manutd can easly get 2 or 3 goals tomorrow. Bayern form has dipped in the last few weeks and at home have conceded few goals.

I'm going for a 3-0, Rooney hat-trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I admire the level of optimism here. I'll admit to finding it a bit humorous too mind. I think there'll be a couple of surprised heads once the game gets underway.

In saying that I'll be gutted if Ribery and Robben can't take part.

Fizman wrote: »
    I admire the level of optimism here. I'll admit to finding it a bit humorous too mind.

See you back here on tuesday evening or wednesday morning so ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement