Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bayern Munich vs. Manchester United

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭wardie101

Bayern were awful in 1st half but much better in 2nd half..with no rooneyI cant see utd turning them over next week...

And how happy might chelsea be if he is out Saturday too !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Bayern were very impressive! Thoroughly deserved their win :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Valmont wrote: »
    The beginning of the end? I blame everything on Michael Carrick.

Well he is definitely at fault for the worldwide economic slump and I'm pretty sure he was behind the swine flu epidemic. It's always the quiet ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Injury won't be serious imo.

Lovely moment between Olic and the ref there when he came over to book him for taking his shirt off! Olic reckons it was well worth it. :)

Ribery is a top top player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

enviro wrote: »
    Same could be said for Bayern, game of two halves.

Evra made a terrible error and the free kick was luck, Utd will put it right in Manchester.

Still Bayern fully deserved the win, you wouldn't grudge them another goal or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Predictable.

3-0 next week

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Rooney was holding up his foot at the end there, I'm no doctor but hopefully it looks like a broken bone.

EDIT: Ignore that, comment looks like I'm trolling. Arsenal fan, good news for us etc etc is what I probarbly meant to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

redout wrote: »
    We played poor and deserved the resuly we got but that said I am confident United will go through. Away goal is a big plus out of that abismal performance.

Pi** poor performance, Nani and Park quite bad tonight but Bayern played very well and probably deserved the result over all. Ribery and Van Bommel were super for Bayern i thought in particular.

On Rooney, looks like he broke his foot to me and if he has thats Manutd ****ed for the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Ribery is a top top player.

'Arry? Is that you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Quandary

Pacifico wrote: »
    Bayern were very impressive! Thoroughly deserved their win :D

Bayern were very impressive? thats gotta be sarcasm. Thats one of the worst Utd performances in recent memory. If Bayern had Robben and played well we would have been tonked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

FearDark wrote: »
    Rooney was holding up his foot at the end there, I'm no doctor but hopefully it looks like a broken bone.

Shhhhhhut up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

the bbc are saying the following:

2139: More on Wayne Rooney as and when we know, but we've got two massive stories from the evening in Germany - the first one is that Man United have been beaten in their Champions League quarter-final first leg by Bayern Munich. The second is that Mario Gomez appeared to tread on Wayne Rooney's foot and the English striker had to be helped off at the end.

But to be honest it wasn't that incident, he came down on it himself while trying not to obstruct a Bayern player. He came down on his right ankle which twisted under him. Would be very unlucky to break a bone in his foot that way as much as some on here would love it. I'd say he'll be ok for sunday, just a twist and with it being that late anyways he walked off.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Highlight of the game for me was Nevilles hand ball leading to Bayerns first :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Vanbis wrote: »
    On Rooney, looks like he broke his foot to me QUOTE]

€10 its a grade 2 sprain ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Wow, just wow. We fell dead. It was like Barcelona last year. Except, one problem, Bayern aren't a very good team. Tactics of 4-5-1 didn't work. Carrick was poor again. Defence were a shambles for the Olic goal. Really concerned about OT next week. A lot of poor performances tonight. Hope we take a lot out of this game and push on for Chelsea on Saturday. All across the pitch we were disgraceful.

If Rooney is out for Saturday we will have a massive problem.

I hope to god we go to a 4-4-2 next week.

Pick the heads up and come out next Sunday with 3 wins in all competitions on the bounce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

aghhhhhh! How can a player holding up one foot instantly indicate a broken bone? Some people need to play a sport before commenting like that...

Paparazzo wrote: »
    'Arry? Is that you?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

quarryman wrote: »
    Based on him hopping on one foot? Brilliant instant (wrong) diagnosis....

Already explained why I thought that, and acknowledged I was wrong. Lose the attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Truly fùcking awful performance from United tonight. From the first goal 2 minutes in the team just gradually dropped the performance levels and eventually we completely lost the midfield battle. We can't blame defensive tactics (they seemed to me to be under instructions to push up and press on), we can't blame Carrick (because everybody other than VDS and Rooney were shìte). We made this Bayern team look miles better than they are.

We need a massive improvement or we'll get hammered by Chelsea.

I hope Rooney is ok :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

very disappointing performance. Hopefully we don't play as badly on Saturday, Saturday is a must not lose game at least.

Of bigger concern is the injury to Rooney. Hopefully it is not too serious, but surely any injury picked up tonight would have him as a doubt at least vs Chelsea.

Can't believe how poor we were in midfield tonight - even Fletcher wasn't putting himself about as usual.

All in all, a very disappointing performance, especially after our start to the game. I would imagine Fergie is fuming with the players. On the plus side, we have an away goal, the tie isn't over and hopefully the team will be more focused and perform better on saturday having got the hairdryer treatment right around now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Valmont wrote: »
    The beginning of the end? I blame everything on Michael Carrick.

Me too, Carrick is Muck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

That last goal sums Pat up tonight. Woefully sloppy.

Looks worrying for Rooney. He put his hands up straight away. Didn't Fergie say he had a bruised foot at the weekend? He would be fine for tonight providing he didn't get a knock on it on Saturday and they just didn't want to take a chance? Hopefully its that just bruising and not a metatarsal (or anything serious).

Should still be good enough to do it at Old Trafford.

Edit: Looks like a twist, should be alright

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What the hell was Evra doing?
    Why did he walk backwards after Olic nicked the ball off him instead of busting a gut to get back on the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

The damage to rooney is almost certainly ligamentous from that replay. Severity could be anywhere from 2 to 5/6 weeks out. He didnt look to good, id have my cash on 3/4 weeks out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

lol at Olic shaking the ref's hand after getting the YC.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That looked nasty for Rooney. I'd say he's probably only got about 2 weeks to live...

Bayern definitely deserved that. Much better team over the 90 minutes. Utd will probably pull it back in Old Trafford, but it should be an interesting game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Rooney limping off is the icing on the cake!

Uncalled for.

I fear Rooney may have ligament damage looking at the replay

Carrick isn't cut out for the big important games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Certainly an interseting game, If Rooney is missing for the return (and Chelsea) and Robben starts at OT.... Ribery and Robben both causing problems for 90 mins.. it could easily be another interesting game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

aghhhhhh! How can a player holding up one foot instantly indicate a broken bone? Some people need to play a sport before commenting like that...

Breaking news: A man-u doctor was just on Sky Sports news, he said Rooneys whole foot has to be amputated :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Poor performance from way too many players. :(

2:1 isn't the worst result though,still have to beat them at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

hes not cut out of any ****ing games at utd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Without Schweini & Robben was always going to be difficult. Then that horrible opener.

Have to say some positives from that. Didn't crumble after early goal. Never stopped trying and deserved to win in the end.

With the top midfielders back next week we're in this. Absolutely.

Don't want wish anyone an injury but Rooney may be in trouble too for next week.

Right now, he's not cut out for a fúcking kick about with 12 year olds.

• Advertisement

What was fergie thinking taking Carrick off, they just lost it in the midfield from then on! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

lol wtf were united doing tonight?

That Bayern team are absolutely terrible. They were let play even though they were outnumber in midfield. I lurk the united forum regularly and laugh at those hammering Carrick every week but he was a disgrace tonight. I have thought for a few weeks that Fletch and Evra needed a rest amd so it has proven. They had no legs.

Only united players that can come out of that game with some dignity are the two cb's, vds and roo!

Even without Rooney Id fancy us to tear that backline to shreds at old trafford.

Embarrassing performance though. Fergie is going to destroy that team in the changing room now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Thats a very bitter comment, have some respect :rolleyes:

I do play.

And when I twist my ankle I try and walk on it to walk it out not hold it up like that, broke my big toe playing last Thursday night and I was holding it up like that, also broke metatarsel too a few years ago and I remember holding it up like Rooney was at the end too.

If i was to bet on it Id say a broken bone in the foot. Comment wasnt made to troll, from my standpoint [arsenal fan] its good news for us. That is all.

Headshot wrote: »

In fact, a cut out of Carrick might have been more usefull tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

1-0 or 2-0 next week.

Bayern are a poor side... Terrible.

Can't see us playing this bad again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Ferdinand is the most over rated defender in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Carrick isn't cut out for games.

FYP

Get off your high horse ffs. I've played plenty of sports, and I've seen Wayne Rooney hop about with his boot off before when he's broken a bone. It was an instant reaction, it wasn't ridiculous to think he may have done so again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Headshot wrote: »

Im not a Manc fan but imo Carrick is not good enough for the Manc midfield.

So Rooney has a broken metatarsal, a twisted ankle and ligament damage!!

Hernia anyone ???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

evil_seed wrote: »
    only for a lapse in man-marking in the 1st half bayern woulda walked it. fully deserved win for them. good exciting game too

That goal wasn't good for United's performance, with the lead they started sitting back and leaving Bayern come at them, first half they got away with it, but the second half Bayern were much better, but United couldn't get going. Deserved win for Bayern, its a bad state when we say that VDS was United's best player on the night.

Hope the Rooney injury isn't too serious!

Osu wrote: »
    Bayern are a poor side... Terrible.

Yeah, theyre fair shit allright.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Injury won't be serious imo.

It could be a few weeks to recover if it's a metatarsil or bone injury. Doesn't look bad but Robben's didn't look bad and took him out for a week.

A lot of united fans here and elsewhere laughed at my pre-match anaylsis. Even the commentators are saying Bayern didn't deserve the win.

This is how Bayern perform when up against it like this. This was also a second-tier team from Bayern with this performance. Next week United will struggle to hold off Ribery & Robben, with Gomez back and (presumably) Olic out there too.

Bayern won't win easy, but it'll be tight enough to ensure that, if our defense holds out and the midfield returns to full strength (and today was strong) with Schweinsteiger back we'll keep United honest. This time, it's Bayerns game to lose.

syngindub wrote: »
    Ferdinand is the most over rated defender in the world

No he's not. Dont be so thick as to use the mayhem in here as an excuse to post retarded shít like that. He's back from injury, was outstanding against Liverpool, and had an off night tonight. Grow up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement