Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bayern Munich vs. Manchester United

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Boggles wrote: »
    I'm going for 3-0 at old trafford.

No arrogance what so ever.
    Yea but we all know you're beyond saving!;) you probably think tonight was another stellar performance from carrick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

Vanbis wrote: »

who have booked flights for Real Madrid ;)

?? is there an airport in the bernabeau now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Mr Alan wrote: »
    **** me, ya would have thought the pre match arrogance from some would have thought some united fans to at least try and have a bit of humility, united were second best in every department tonight, bayern will have a couple of their best players back and united may be without theirs. At least try to have some humility, united are slight favourites for the tie, but talk of spanking anyone after getting a schooling tonight is just plain arrogant.

mufc-notarrogantjust_363439.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Yea but we all know you're beyond saving!;) you probably think tonight was another stellar performance from carrick.

No thought he was shíté.

It was 1-0 when he went off though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The United defence will need to play a lot better, and the midfield will need to be a crap load better for the return leg. Robben will be back, and he will give Evra a lot more to think about. Schweinsteiger will be back in the midfield and he will be a great addition to their side too. Bayern have a lot of quality to come back into the side. United were basically at full strength.

It is going to be a very tough game next week, and I can see it going to penalties - I don't see United holding out for the 90minutes so 3 goals will be needed imo - if Rooney isn't playing, i'm not sure we'll get them.

I would have Bayern favourites at this stage - they don't need to win at OT.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I wouldnt be surprised if Manc did beat Bayern 3-0 next week but equally so i wouldnt be surprised to see Bayern score a couple.
    Looking forward to the game tbh, should be a cracker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I'm going for 3-0 at old trafford.

No arrogance what so ever.

Without Rooney?

Melion wrote: »
    Without Rooney?

Has he been ruled out? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

League way more important that the CL.

Nonsense.The CL is far more important,its Europes biggest tournament not the EPL.
    I'd swap 3 leagues for one Champions league.
    Utd had a favourable route to the final and a great chance of getting there but yet again their woeful lack of ambition away from home and negative attitude has come back to roost.
    They were fortunate not to be 3-0 down against Milan after 30 minutes and didnt learn their lesson.
    I dont recall the Bayern keeper having to make one save in the second half such was the lack of ambition from Utd.
    Play like that against any half decent side and you are asking for trouble.
    Bayern are their bogey team in Europe and they will be a huge threat on the break next week and an unfit Ferdinand and a paceless Neville could be ruthlessly exposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

conno16 wrote: »
    ?? is there an airport in the bernabeau now

Yeah didn't you hear? It's on the same parallel universe Boggles is on, where Carrick is a top class player..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Has he been ruled out? :eek:

Sorry, i meant to say if he isnt playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I'd nearly give Bayern a 3-1 lead and have Rooney injury free rather than 2-1 and have him crocked for a few weeks. The kind of performance that the Fergie Hairdryer was made for.....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

baz2009 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for people who think that the capital of Spain is called Real Madrid.

now your the one being stupid, he never said that the captail of spain was real madrid , but the champions league final is being played at real madrids stadium, id imagine that wahts he was implying...although it wouldn't be like somone on boards to twist someone words now would it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Arrogance and English football seem to go hand in hand. I won't even start in how many ways this' weird on an Irish soccer forum...

Anyway

Looking forward to that spanking we're going to get in OT. ManU were found out tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Anyone who thinks that this tie is still easy needs a good smack in the head. Bayern dominated United tonight. Yes they didn't create that much, but VDS played a stormer, and easily could have seen a goal or two go to Bayern. That said, Rooney had 2 chances that he'd normally put away.

I am very disappointed in one sense, stupid deflection for the first goal and awful defending for the second paints the picture of us being able to deal with their attack. But sustained pressure often results in these sorts of victories. Nonetheless, in abstract, a 2-1 score in a CL game is a good result away from home to be honest. Away goal is key.

Why did it happen? One reason imo above all else. Fletcher played poorly. Carrick and Scholes played their usual level, Carrick was bleh, Scholes wasn't much better, but Fletcher normally drags us through. Tonight, his ball winning was good but not great, and his passing was poor. We'll need him to step it up majorly against Chelsea and in the second leg.

Rooney was bleh too, nothing amazing. Nani was ok, nothing amazing. The rest were quite poor going forward.

Rooney out is a potential season changer for United. Will wait for further news before judging. If he's out, the one man team theory will be put to the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

**** me, ya would have thought the pre match arrogance from some would have thought some united fans to at least try and have a bit of humility, united were second best in every department tonight, bayern will have a couple of their best players back and united may be without theirs. At least try to have some humility, united are slight favourites for the tie, but talk of spanking anyone after getting a schooling tonight is just plain arrogant.

My comment may have been taken up wrong by yourself but its ok, that can happen.

Not going to contest they were better than us cause they clearly were and please point out where I said they were???

I dont think me stating that at Old Trafford where United are so strong and against that shambles of a Bayern defence I think we will beat them comfortably is showing a lack of humility or arrogance.

United are a better team and I like many others would be quite suprised if they did not turn this around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Nonsense.The CL is far more important,its Europes biggest tournament not the EPL.
    Utd had a favourable route to the final and a great chance of getting there but yet again their woeful lack of ambition away from home and negative attitude has come back to roost.
    They were fortunate not to be 3-0 down against Milan after 30 minutes and didnt learn their lesson.
    I dont recall the Bayern keeper having to make one save in the second half such was the lack of ambition from Utd.
    Play like that against any half decent side and you are asking for trouble.
    Bayern are their bogey team in Europe and they will be a huge threat on the break next week and an unfit Ferdinand and a paceless Neville could be ruthlessly exposed.

Plus AFAIK the CL is worth far more financially. Could just be Taggart ad libbing.:rolleyes:

Nonsense. The league is far more important than any cup competition. The league is the bread and butter, any cup competition is just a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Woohoo Headshot, finally someone who agrees with me. I never knew you felt the same and now we just need to SAF to wake the **** up and dump him or leave him in Munich.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

As a pool fan can i have those 3 titles for our CL win in 05?;)
    Oh wait, that would mean we wouldnt have the trophy that Manc won in 99 sitting in Anfield right now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Normally I'd agree with you, but not this season. 19th league is more important than the CL this year.

curry-muff wrote: »
    mufc-notarrogantjust_363439.jpg
    That was posted before the game by people trying to claim it wasn't arrogant to think united would hammer bayern in germany, that they were just better than them. . . How'd that work out?! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

denial is sucha powerful tool. how can so many utd fans be saying hw "poor" and "terrible" bayern are after they gave you a good spanking. the scoreline does bayern no justice whatsoever

Boskowski wrote: »
    Arrogance and English football seem to go hand in hand. I won't even start in how many ways this' weird on an Irish soccer forum...

Anyway

Looking forward to that spanking we're going to get in OT. ManU were found out tonight.

Get out the hole. Found out? What nonsense. Bad performance. That's it. Utter tosh.

I'd still make united favs even without Rooney.

A 2-1 defeat isn't a bad result away from home tbf.

• Advertisement

Osu wrote: »
    Yeah didn't you hear? It's on the same parallel universe Boggles is on, where Carrick is a top class player..

Having a go at Carrick and me is a bit childish now isn't it.

It was Evra, Neville and Rooney that fúckéd up for the goals, wasn't it.

Crying Wah Wah Carrick is muck, worst player world, etc.

Thats juvenille and moronic.

He was shíte tonight, but the whole team apart from VDS was terrible.

Now have a shake of your rattle and calm down, good lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

p.s. If you gave me the choice of the league or the CL, I'd pick the league every time. Interestingly, polls have been done on this very forum and it tends to be 50-50, across club lines too. Some people just value things differently.

That United Arrogant jpeg is getting fairly old at this stage...

United were not found out tonight. We just played poorly. Credit to Bayern, deserved win, but United did play poorly. We were not found out for being a poor side, cause we are not, it was just a bad game.

Suppose Fiorentina found bayern out last round did they? No, it was a poor performance from Bayern.

Suppose Stuttgart found Barcelona out.

Suppose Inter found Chelsea out.

Suppose Lyon found Real out.

Teams do play poorly, it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Archimedes wrote: »
    He was shíte tonight, but the most over rated defender in the world? Dont make me LOL.

People who think Ferdinand is the most over-rated in the world need to watch Demichelis, or as I like to call him, Hannibal Demichelis, in a regular game. Even tonight it's a shock Rooney didn't get around him more often.
    Disagree strongly.

Its hard to take now but the away goal gives us the advantage.

It's a slim advantage when Bayern came back with 2 goals, and have the momentum going into the next game. I'll say it here, and I'll likely say it again, but Bayern tonight were a second-rate team on the pitch. This was not a first-team selection, but we took United to the cleaners and capitalised on the team as it unravelled on the pitch after a strong start.

Game 2 features Robben back with Schweinsteiger. That's a force to be reckoned with alone. Couple that with a now on-form Ribery (he wasn't playing like that beforehand) and some super-subs (Altintop has seen no gametime this year but he played like Robben or Ribery tonight) and United have a tough game ahead of them. But of course, Bayern are crap etc. etc. etc.

[QUOTE=All_in_Flynn;65168940
    Fair play to Bayern though for not giving up and they do have a chance now but id be shocked if United did not give this team a good spanking at Old Trafford![/QUOTE]

United were supposed to win 3-0 tonight. Let's not get above our station. Bayern played with far more possession and passion tonight, and I don't expect that to change next time 'round. Bayern have a point to prove, and they looked like they really wanted this one. For the first time this season Ribery said something positive before the game. He said they really want to win, want to progress and he felt they could do it. He has never been so positive... With his buddy Robben on the other wing he'll have a real partner to play with, and hopefully over the next few days he gets some training in with Badstuber (who had no chemistry or flow with Ribery tonight).
    League way more important that the CL.

Agree'd. Even though I want to progress in the CL, Bundesliga is more important (and EPL for United). Pep from Barca said it best when he said the domestic league is more important & that good performance there will flow into the CL and cup games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Nonsense. The league is far more important than any cup competition. The league is the bread and butter, any cup competition is just a bonus.

Agree with that!

evil_seed wrote: »
    denial is sucha powerful tool. how can so many utd fans be saying hw "poor" and "terrible" bayern are after they gave you a good spanking. the scoreline does bayern no justice whatsoever

quote these SO MANY fans please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

These Man U threads are always great for a laugh. :D:D

While I'd love Arsenal to have the same sustained success as Man Utd have had, I can see the obvious downside with the special needs section of football supporters jumping on the bandwagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

now your the one being stupid, he never said that the captail of spain was real madrid , but the champions league final is being played at real madrids stadium, id imagine that wahts he was implying...although it wouldn't be like somone on boards to twist someone words now would it

First of all, I neveer said he was stupid.
    Second, who says they booked flights for Real Madrid when you're going to the Bernabeu, in all fairness?
    Stop trying to start an argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

ManU were found out tonight.

I agree Bayern fully deserved to win but as a Manutd fan i get sick of this kind of statement. Absoulte rubbish which they prove over and over again and hopefully on Wednesday they will again.

If anything we made Bayern look better then they are. In saying that Ribery and Van Bommel where fantastic for you tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Think Bayern deserve some credit also imo

oh yes they do deserve credit. But thinking about it as a United fan, I'm not that interested in how well Bayern played if you know what I mean. They did play well but ultimately they lack quality at both ends of the pitch - they threw away a fair few chances iirc and Rooney had the beating of their CBs if he'd just been given better support and possession. I'm raging at how we surrendered possession in midfield and let them run through us time and again. I'm raging at how far below what we are capable of we played. Totally shìt performance from United :mad:

Suppose Lyon found Real out.

Nothin to be found there, they always get beaten at this stage of the comp., specially against Lyon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

gosplan wrote: »

While I'd love Arsenal to have the same sustained success as Man Utd have had, I can see the obvious downside with the special needs section of football supporters jumping on the bandwagon.

funny guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

That doesn't look too bad, tbf. Often had it happen to myself and there was A LOT more weight on it.:p
    I was walking sheepishly for a week the last time it happened and I couldn't walk until the next day.

• Advertisement

with the special needs section of football supporters jumping on the bandwagon.

jaysus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Pro. F wrote: »
    oh yes they do deserve credit. But thinking about it as a United fan, I'm not that interested in how well Bayern played if you know what I mean. They did play well but ultimately they lack quality at both ends of the pitch - they threw away a fair few chances iirc and Rooney had the beating of their CBs if he'd just been given better support and possession. I'm raging at how we surrendered possession in midfield and let them run through us time and again. I'm raging at how far below what we are capable of we played. Totally shìt performance from United :mad:

Rooney gave the ball away on countless occasions, he was as poor as anyone on that pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

That was posted before the game by people trying to claim it wasn't arrogant to think united would hammer bayern in germany, that they were just better than them. . . How'd that work out?! :rolleyes:

Well Jaysus Al, if beating a team once means you're better than them, your team are in even more trouble than the table shows. Wise up lad.

Having a go at Carrick and me is a bit childish now isn't it.

It was Evra, Neville and Rooney that fúckéd up for the goals, wasn't it.

Crying Wah Wah Carrick is muck, worst player world, etc.

Thats juvenille and moronic.

He was shíte tonight, but the whole team apart from VDS was terrible.

Now have a shake of your rattle and calm down, good lad.

First of all, learn to take a joke.

Nobody is crying about Carrick. He is shite.

But since your trying to have a pop at me.

Moronic. You seem to have the only moronic judgement of Carrick. He has been crap the past two years. But yes, Boggles, he's a good player.
    :rolleyes:

Shake of my rattle? I'll do that. Maybe I'll shake your head with it too.
    Might put some of them neurons in your brain back into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

+1

Just off to put the kettle on :D

archi are you genuinely tryin to say to me that some united fans are being very arrogant in this thread? Both before the match and now about the second leg?

Osu wrote: »
    First of all, learn to take a joke.

Nobody is crying about Carrick. He is shite.

But since your trying to have a pop at me.

Moronic. You seem to have the only moronic judgement of Carrick. He has been crap the past two years. But yes, Boggles, he's a good player.
    :rolleyes:

Shake of my rattle? I'll do that. Maybe I'll shake your head with it too.
    Might put some of them neurons in your brain back into place.

lolz

:D

archi are you genuinely tryin to say to me that some united fans are being very arrogant in this thread? Both before the match and now about the second leg?

some were and are - the amount is being blown out of proportion though.

lolz

:D

See that's the spirit.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Anyone who is saying anything about the second leg might be, but it was pretty damn feasible for United fans to be confident for tonight considering recent form, and how awful Bayern's back 2 looked. Nobody expected that United performance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement