Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bayern Munich vs. Manchester United

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

People who think Ferdinand is the most over-rated in the world need to watch Demichelis, or as I like to call him, Hannibal Demichelis, in a regular game. Even tonight it's a shock Rooney didn't get around him more often.

It's a slim advantage when Bayern came back with 2 goals, and have the momentum going into the next game. I'll say it here, and I'll likely say it again, but Bayern tonight were a second-rate team on the pitch. This was not a first-team selection, but we took United to the cleaners and capitalised on the team as it unravelled on the pitch after a strong start.

Game 2 features Robben back with Schweinsteiger. That's a force to be reckoned with alone. Couple that with a now on-form Ribery (he wasn't playing like that beforehand) and some super-subs (Altintop has seen no gametime this year but he played like Robben or Ribery tonight) and United have a tough game ahead of them. But of course, Bayern are crap etc. etc. etc.

United were supposed to win 3-0 tonight. Let's not get above our station. Bayern played with far more possession and passion tonight, and I don't expect that to change next time 'round. Bayern have a point to prove, and they looked like they really wanted this one. For the first time this season Ribery said something positive before the game. He said they really want to win, want to progress and he felt they could do it. He has never been so positive... With his buddy Robben on the other wing he'll have a real partner to play with, and hopefully over the next few days he gets some training in with Badstuber (who had no chemistry or flow with Ribery tonight).

Agree'd. Even though I want to progress in the CL, Bundesliga is more important (and EPL for United). Pep from Barca said it best when he said the domestic league is more important & that good performance there will flow into the CL and cup games.

Some good points here and I think my choice of word in 'spanking' was an error.

Who were saying United were going to win 3-0 tonight?
    Id have taken a 1-1 tbh.

Bayern were the better team tonight but you will face a different animal at O.T. Your defence is terrible and if united get a goal it will force you out of your shell and we will then be able to expose the obviously fragile defence.

United could not retian posession tonight which led to bayern getting a foothold. I expect this to change at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

some were and are - the amount is being blown out of proportion though.
    Good thing i didn't mention an amount ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Liam O wrote: »
    Rooney gave the ball away on countless occasions, he was as poor as anyone on that pitch.

I thought Rooney was poor, he was isolated and too many long balls and poor passes most of the time and park was very poor who normally pushes forward in support of himself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Bayern were the better team tonight but you will face a different animal at O.T. Your defence is terrible and if united get a goal it will force you out of your shell and we will then be able to expose the obviously fragile defence.
    United did get a goal tonight, and it didnt seem to stop Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

United will win the second leg 4-0. Bayern are shockingly poor at the back and at Old Trafford, they'll get crucified, especially as they'll try to sit back and defend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Good thing i didn't mention an amount ;)

good thing i didn't say you said an amount.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Pro. F wrote: »
    I'm raging at how we surrendered possession in midfield and let them run through us time and again.

To be fair Utd have been surrendering possession away from home to nearly every team they have played over the last few seasons.
    They have been extremely lucky and riding their luck big time.
    That luck ran out tonight .
    Instead of pressing on after scoring the early goal like Barca would,they sat back and retreated deeper and deeper as the match went on.
    Whether it is the players themselves doing this or its instructions from Ferguson to be cautious I am unsure but the brand of football played away from home in Europe by Utd is pretty negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Mr Alan wrote: »
    That was posted before the game by people trying to claim it wasn't arrogant to think united would hammer bayern in germany, that they were just better than them. . . How'd that work out?! :rolleyes:

I seen it at our last league games including the Liverpool one, all in all I think its worked out pretty well for us this season :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Kiith wrote: »
    United did get a goal tonight, and it didnt seem to stop Bayern.

OK thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Vanbis wrote: »
    Not sure he will be fit to play. I honestly believe Manutd can easly get 2 or 3 goals tomorrow. Bayern form has dipped in the last few weeks and at home have conceded few goals.

I'm going for a 3-0, Rooney hat-trick
    Fizman wrote: »
    I admire the level of optimism here. I'll admit to finding it a bit humorous too mind. I think there'll be a couple of surprised heads once the game gets underway.

In saying that I'll be gutted if Ribery and Robben can't take part.
    See you back here on tuesday evening or wednesday morning so ;)

Hi. ;)

• Advertisement

United will win the second leg 4-0. Bayern are shockingly poor at the back and at Old Trafford, they'll get crucified, especially as they'll try to sit back and defend.
    Ha :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

arrogance_1221.gif

with Ribery and Robben, they will be perfectly suited to hitting United on the counter, and United might be without Rooney which will give the Bayern defence an easier time. Berbatov won't run and be as physical a presence as Rooney, obviously.

Need a vastly improved performance from United next week.

I also don't think Bayern will be aiming for a 0-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

To be fair Utd have been surrendering possession away from home to nearly every team they have played over the last few seasons.
    Instead of pressing on after scoring the early goal like Barca would,they sat back and retreated deeper and deeper as the match went on.
    Whether it is the players themselves doing this or its instructions from Ferguson to be cautious I am unsure but the brand of football played away from home in Europe by Utd is pretty negative.

Utter shíte.

You dont go nearly three years in Europe without losing away from home by riding your luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

You clearly didn't see Bayern away to Fiorentina!!

Some good points here and I think my choice of word in 'spanking' was an error.

Who were saying United were going to win 3-0 tonight?
    Id have taken a 1-1 tbh.

I was one who predicted a 3-0 Manu win. I never expected Manu to be so crap, everyone gave the ball away with poor passes. Bayern two center halfs are piss poor. Everytime Van Bommel got the ball he was looking for Ribery and he was very good tonight considering he has hardly game time.

As a Manu fan i am seriously worried for next Wednesday with Robben returning and Gomes will start up front.

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    You clearly didn't see Bayern away to Munich!!

what?

what?

Typo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I'm not surprised at all. Despite on the face of things having a very good season United have never been that impressive. This season for the most part has been United papering over the cracks in a poorer than ever Premier League.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Quandary

There's no doubt it will be a different game next Wed but why the hell do we make it so hard for ourselves sometimes :(.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

United's game seriously needs to be upped next week. The whole team need a boot up the arse except for VDS and to a lesser extent, Rooney. Nani wasn't as bad as the rest of them, though, in fairness to him. The two Bayern CBs could easily be found out with Rooney and Berbatov together if the midfield can hold onto the ball for more than two passes and show some support to them. Better passing is all that was needed tonight, imo, just too many stray balls and players waiting for the ball to come to them and being beaten to the ball by Bayern players. Laziness was the key to the performance tonight, even Fletcher, Park and Evra didn't seem arsed to tackle and work as much as usual.

Fizman wrote: »
    Hi. ;)

*cough* *cough* ........evening sir :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

If Rooney is out for Chelsea and the Bayern game, United are screwed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

What injury did Rooney pick up ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Doc Cascarino said 'it was ligaments' , so he wouldn't be surprised if Rooney will play against Chelsea. !?!

Barr wrote: »

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=255785.0;attach=185442;image

In fairness that is an awful looking injury, possibly ligament damage who knows...lucky he didn't break it altogether...

Suspected broken leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    I'm not surprised at all. Despite on the face of things having a very good season United have never been that impressive. This season for the most part has been United papering over the cracks in a poorer than ever Premier League.

You know, much as I don't want to, I agree with most, if not all that you have posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

IMO, it's just a twisted ankle. I didn't see anyone standing on his foot, all that happened was he rolled over on his ankle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

No, no. SAF clearly said he was kicked by one of those evil German's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Broke his vagina in 9 places apartently, out until 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

looked like a sprained ankle maybe in relation to Rooney

On the game? we were destroyed in midfield, couldnt pass the ball

it was actually the worst performance i have seen in a long long time, deserved to lose by more probably

Evra was even sloppy tonight, Carrick did his usual till he was replaced, Scholes couldnt get to grips with the pace, Fletch, he had an off night too in fairness

Rooney was poor imo, but he had no support so its excusable, Park, did he play no? could have sworn i saw the name, but not the player

Nani, had a frustrating night, some good moments, but overall poor

Neville was solid but for a player of his experience giving away the free kick so softly is inexcusable

If Rooney is out for any length of time that could well be the season tbh

I am embarassed tonight, it was painful to watch. we made Bayern look like Barcelona of last year at times

rubbish

it better improve next week and thankfully we have the away goal, but if we keep defending the way we have been, with Sweinsteiger and Robben back we will be murdered

the midfield didnt work, for next week i would like a 442, with Berba and Rooney hopefully, that defence is very easy to get at imo and if we went and attacked and kept the fcuking ball for more then 1 pass at a time we will win at OT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

In fairness that is an awful looking injury, possibly ligament damage who knows...lucky he didn't break it altogether...

Looks like a nasty enough sprain there and he was certainly not putting any weight on it at all!!!
    Feck, why can't City be playing ye this weekend????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No, no. SAF clearly said he was kicked by one of those evil German's.

To be fair he was caught before his foot was grounded, accidentally of course. Saying he was kicked is taking it a bit far alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Boggles wrote: »
    Broke his vagina in 9 places apartently, out until 2015.

I always suspected something was just not quite right with him but just couldn't figure it out!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

If anything we made Bayern look better then they are. In saying that Ribery and Van Bommel where fantastic for you tonight.

Bayern played well. United fans are consistently ignoring the fact that Bayern were playing an untested team of subs. Altintop played like a tip-top attacker... but he's barely touched a ball this year. He was the real shock of the game for me.

Seeing Gomez playing well in the short space he had to play was great, as before his injury he was really down-trodden.
    Pro. F wrote: »
    ultimately they lack quality at both ends of the pitch - they threw away a fair few chances iirc and Rooney had the beating of their CBs if he'd just been given better support and possession.

We definitely lack it at the back. We're a disgrace there, but up front and in the middle we're pretty good. Today wasn't a great reflection on us but the first team wasn't there. Next season we'll be even stronger when we get Kroos back in the team with Breno for the back.
    baz2009 wrote: »
    That doesn't look too bad, tbf. Often had it happen to myself and there was A LOT more weight on it.:p
    I was walking sheepishly for a week the last time it happened and I couldn't walk until the next day.

Yeah but United don't have a week to be without Rooney. They've two big games in the next 7 or so days. They need him up front. Berbatov isn't going to provide the power up front that team needs, especially if they play like they did tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I think the Utd players were believing their own hype and just thought it was a matter of turning up ,put in their usual negative away display and they would pick up a draw or a win.
    In both of their last away matches (Milan and Bayern ) that Utd team conceded at least 10 clear goalscoring opportunities .
    But for a combination of poor finishing ,good goalkeeping and a large slice of luck they would have been routed in both matches.
    Their attitude away from home in Europe is too negative and while it has brought results it is a highly risky strategy.
    They now have an uphill task at Old Trafford and can turn it around but the tie could be over now if they had the right attitude tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Liam O wrote: »
    Rooney gave the ball away on countless occasions, he was as poor as anyone on that pitch.
    He was living off scraps pretty much all night. I can never get over how people don't understand that if the midfield can't establish good possession then the strikers (and to a lesser extent the wingers) will struggle to use the ball when it's fired forward to them and they're isolated. We lost this game because the midfield were shìte, both with and without the ball.

You don't need to tell me that United have played negative football in Europe the last few seasons (it hasn't only been away from home either btw) - I've been giving out about it for ages. The thing is though, I honestly think the tactics are changing this season for the big games, both domestic and European. I suspect it's because of the loss of Ronaldo's pace. We have been far more balanced in a fair few big games this season, especially in 2010.

United weren't sitting back tonight, except maybe for a while in the second half just before the subs came on. When we're sitting deep you never see 2 of the CMs getting level with, or ahead of, the play. But they did that any time we strung a few passes together tonight. The problem tonight was more a total lack of energy, concentration and skill tbh.

adox wrote: »
    To be fair he was caught before his foot was grounded, accidentally of course. Saying he was kicked is taking it a bit far alright!

to be even more fair, Fergie was asked about it directly after the game and may not have seen a replay

having seen it in real time myself, there is a coming together of the two players so Fergie cant be blamed for thinking it was because of the contact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If that's what it is then he'll be back for next week at 100%. Seriously. It looks awkward, and it certainly would be painful, but it's the type of thing amateur footballers would bounce back from quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

kryogen wrote: »
    to be even more fair, Fergie was asked about it directly after the game and may not have seen a replay

having seen it in real time myself, there is a coming together of the two players so Fergie cant be blamed for thinking it was because of the contact

So to be even more fair, he could have said 2 players came together, not that he was kicked.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If that's what it is then he'll be back for next week at 100%. Seriously. It looks awkward, and it certainly would be painful, but it's the type of thing amateur footballers would bounce back from quickly.

I thought that on first viewing, but Rooney has been carrying a couple of knocks and it might aggrivate them, (his foot and his knee)

id prefer to see him rested for the Chelsea game if he is a doubt tbh, I know the game is massive, but if he does any further damage and we lose him for the rest of the season we really are fcuked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Quite possibly the worst game I've ever seen United play.
    Possession was non existent, no composure. The tactics were all wrong on a scale I haven't seen since the CL final last year.
    The one possible upside of Rooney not playing next week might be Fergie going 4-4-2 and actually putting pressure on Bayern as oppossed to letting their back four go completely untested like they did tonight.
    Bayern to their credit deserved a draw, but a fairer refelction of the poor performances from both sides and the terrible play in the final third by Bayern would have been a 0-0.
    Uniteds second leg against Milan was a dire game, and tonights game was a continuation. As a United fan I'm ashamed of how my team perfomed tonight, but as a football fan I'd have to say tonights game was a terrible advertisement for the game.
    United were awful, Bayern should have hammered them, but they only barely managed it in the end through luck.
    Had Bayern torn United apart at least you would have been able to point to a good performance from them, instead we were subjected to another dull and boring Champions League match, thats the real pity.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

in terms of keeping the tie as interesting as possible, 2-1 bayern was the best score possible.

roll on the 2nd leg so.

it's stating the bloody obvious i know, but that away goal is huge. so i'd still have Utd as favourites.

it's also stating the bloody obvious that if Rooney's injury is worse than a small sprain and he's out, next week would probably swing it marginally into Bayern's favour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

:) Everyone knows Fergie is blameless! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Lads, can any highlights of this still be seen on TV tonight? Missed the 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

nullzero wrote: »
    The one possible upside of Rooney not playing next week might be Fergie going 4-4-2 and actually putting pressure on Bayern as oppossed to letting their back four go completely untested like they did tonight.

there is surely no actual upside to no Rooney, no matter how you paint it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Van Bommel shocked me, The guy never ceases to amaze me, I kind of think of him and Jav Zanetti in the same brackett, I see them play and they look like Patrick Vieira on a bad day and then on the big occasion they just look so fresh and eager. Seeing him burst by Carrick was a joy to behold.

°°°°°

kryogen wrote: »
    I thought that on first viewing, but Rooney has been carrying a couple of knocks and it might aggrivate them, (his foot and his knee)

id prefer to see him rested for the Chelsea game if he is a doubt tbh, I know the game is massive, but if he does any further damage and we lose him for the rest of the season we really are fcuked

I've had loads of ankel injuries over the years and they're always painful at first, but compared to the knee unjuries I've suffered they're a walk in the park. That said a team mate of mine did his really badly a couple of years ago and he took a while to come back. I really depends on case to case.
    Rooney will either be playing on Saturday or out for two or so weeks.
    Hopefully they'll stop the swelling and be able to tell exactly whats wrong by tomorrow evening.
    It was sickening to see him limping off after conceeding a soft soft goal like that, it really rounded off a terrible eveing.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

SlickRic wrote: »
    there is surely no actual upside to no Rooney, no matter how you paint it.

You're right, I wasnt trying to polish the turd, just roll it in glitter.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement