Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bayern Munich vs. Manchester United

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

SlickRic wrote: »
    there is surely no actual upside to no Rooney, no matter how you paint it.

none at all, the best thing we could have at OT is Rooney and Berba up front to actually test the defence, it is a disgrace the way the midfield was so incohesive tonight, and it will not happen again wednesday one way or another

Having Berba up front with ???? Macheda?? Diouff?? come on, there is no upside to no Rooney here at all, not even Mickey Owen to call upon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Your defence is terrible and if united get a goal it will force you out of your shell and we will then be able to expose the obviously fragile defence.

Like tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    :) Everyone knows Fergie is blameless! :)

Lol, not this time, he got it completely wrong.
    United cant seem to deal with teams getting in their faces and it's been like that for the last few years now.
    Must try harder.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

kryogen wrote: »
    none at all, the best thing we could have at OT is Rooney and Berba up front to actually test the defence, it is a disgrace the way the midfield was so incohesive tonight, and it will not happen again wednesday one way or another

Having Berba up front with ???? Macheda?? Diouff?? come on, there is no upside to no Rooney here at all, not even Mickey Owen to call upon

Five man midfield? It was more like an invisible man midfield.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=255785.0;attach=185442;image

In fairness that is an awful looking injury, possibly ligament damage who knows...lucky he didn't break it altogether...

Thats looks dam nasty , I hope it is not to bad ,

The Lad has been having a amazing season and it would be a shame to see it ended in injury .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Football, bloody hell.

:D

Boskowski wrote: »
    Like tonight?

Congrats on the win

Easily the better team, dont expect it to be such a walk in the park next week though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Football, bloody hell.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

nullzero wrote: »
    Quite possibly the worst game I've ever seen United play.
    Possession was non existent, no composure. The tactics were all wrong on a scale I haven't seen since the CL final last year.
    The one possible upside of Rooney not playing next week might be Fergie going 4-4-2 and actually putting pressure on Bayern as oppossed to letting their back four go completely untested like they did tonight.
    Bayern to their credit deserved a draw, but a fairer refelction of the poor performances from both sides and the terrible play in the final third by Bayern would have been a 0-0.
    Uniteds second leg against Milan was a dire game, and tonights game was a continuation. As a United fan I'm ashamed of how my team perfomed tonight, but as a football fan I'd have to say tonights game was a terrible advertisement for the game.
    United were awful, Bayern should have hammered them, but they only barely managed it in the end through luck.
    Had Bayern torn United apart at least you would have been able to point to a good performance from them, instead we were subjected to another dull and boring Champions League match, thats the real pity.

woah woah woah delilah!
    Was just a poor performance thats all - and if vidic header went in we would probly still have won.

• Advertisement

Thats looks dam nasty , I hope it is not to bad ,

The Lad has been having a amazing season and it would be a shame to see it ended in injury .

tbh that still picture looks worse then it was, it looks like a twisted ankle, we just have to wait and see

hopefully its nothing too serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

peabutler wrote: »
    Van Bommel shocked me, The guy never ceases to amaze me, I kind of think of him and Jav Zanetti in the same brackett, I see them play and they look like Patrick Vieira on a bad day and then on the big occasion they just look so fresh and eager. Seeing him burst by Carrick was a joy to behold.

It's so true, he's some dirty player, but Van Bommel is the player that changes Bayern's fortunes in the big matches whenever I see him play. Legend.

van-bommel_dw_sport_162645g.jpg

Hahah, he'll always have Barca at heart. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

adm wrote: »
    woah woah woah delilah!
    Was just a poor performance thats all - and if vidic header went in we would probly still have won.

Was shocking to be fair, Not one player looked up to form and the only reason Bayern didn't go Gung Ho and try punish that misely effort was becasue they knew Rooney and Nani (however poor) Could split them with one moment of genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

peabutler wrote: »
    Was shocking to be fair, Not one player looked up to form and the only reason Bayern didn't go Gung Ho and try punish that misely effort was becasue they knew Rooney and Nani (however poor) Could split them with one moment of genius.

Hold on what sort of point is that?

The only reason Bayern didn't go for the throat was because they could be taken apart by United players?

That's a pretty big reason not to go gung ho. Indeed a reason to define their tactics for the overall game, not the only reason they didn't....

Maybe I'm Reading your post wrong but it looks a nonsensical point???

Bayern are in a tricky position next week, they could decide that trying to get a 0-0 is the way to go, unliley tbh, but we have to be extra careful cause a goal from the next wednesday really puts us under pressure

Boggles you cursed us earlier btw, i specifically remember you saying we would be beat 2-1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

tbh that still picture looks worse then it was, it looks like a twisted ankle, we just have to wait and see

hopefully its nothing too serious

Despite being a chelsea fan , I hope he is not badly injured , missed the match tonight, but jut seen on SSN that he left the stadium on crutches with a brace on his foot /ankle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Was disappointed watching it. I felt Bayern were there for the taking after the early goal but as so often happens with United away from home in Europe we were content to try and do just enough - and it came back to bite us in the arse in the end.

Carrick's displays are really worrying and he's looking a major liability but the team were quite careless in midfield. As for Rooney, really hoping he's not badly injured or the season could become derailed altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

What I am trying to say is United were terrible and it could have been worse if Rooney and Nani weren't on the pitch IMO. Not because they played particularly well but they always posed a threat if given good quality ball.

Congrats on the win

Easily the better team, dont expect it to be such a walk in the park next week though

Never did and was actually delighted with tonight. When I switched telly on first thing I see was Robben in the stands. ****. 3 minutes later 0:1 and I thought this could go very bad.

But compliments to the team. They picked themselves up from there and dominated Utd everywhere on the pitch for the remainder of the game. With only 'half a midfield' it was always going to be a very laborious attempt at a side of Manchester's class rather than sparkling football. But perseverance did it tonight.

So delighted for Olic. So many times he looked like a donkey making these tireless runs, but eventually he got rewarded for his efforts. Altintop deserves a mention and so does van Bommel.

Like I said before. With Schweini & Robben back it's all to play for in Manchester.

Edit: Thank You

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Credit to Bayern tonight they played well and got the result that they deserved.

From a United perspective that tactics all wrong tonight imo.

United sat back with two banks of 4 with either Carrick in between them and Rooney up top on his own, (4-1-4-1). There was no pressure put on the Bayern defense or midfield when they had the ball, no closing down players first touch. Fletcher and Park just let players stroll past them in midfield.

I don't know whether or not that would have been the tactics had we not scored so early but they were clearly wrong, absolutely no tempo, no desire to win the ball back, and too many sloopy passes. We just looked happy to stand off whoever had the ball and allow them to pick out passes all night.

Rooney was isolated all game, he was relying on a perfect through ball from midfield or for him to produce a moment magic. He had 3 good chances to finish the game at 1-0. He looked to get more and more frustrated as the game progressed, he is now only 1 yellow away from a suspension.

Taking Carrick and Park off was a mistake imo. When your 1-0 up and under pressure away from home in Europe you take what you have. Park off for Valencia was fair enough I suppose as it was pretty much a straight swap (with Nani changing wings) and Park wasn't doing great. But Carrick off for Berbatov was a mistake imo, we weren't chasing the game and had no reason to look for another goal imo, although Bayern were on to top, we where limiting them to a lot of long shots from outside the box and despite a few scares I can't recall them with too many clear cut chances (Olic before half time being one I can remember) we where doing alright containing them,.

Removing Carrick from the midfield, who despite not having a good game did close the ball carrier down well in the pocket, meant that Bayern had more time and space to pass the ball around in front of the back 4. And both Bayern goals where created by allowing free man between the midfield and defense.

With the 2nd leg at home and needing to win, I'm sure it will be a different preformance, I can see us playing at a much higher tempo and we should press much higher up the pitch.

2-1 away from home is not a disaster by any means...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

adm wrote: »
    woah woah woah delilah!

Lol and IF Bayern took their chances they probably would have won 6-1.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Johner wrote: »

6-5 if Rooney managed to finish all those chances.

°°°°°

Lol is right. Lets see how Chelsea get on in their quarter final tie. Oh hang on:pac:

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

United were punished for not forcing the issue when they went a goal up. In teh first half, Bayern gave them so much space and time, if they'd played with some more conviction and positivity they could have gotten at least one more.
    Then in the second half they committed the cardinal sin of sitting back and allowing Bayern get back into the game. Small bit of justice for the Germans I suppose with the last minute goal.

Still reasonably happy going into the second leg. I think they're soft at centre back especially Dimichelis in the first half was awful. Would be wary of them on the break especially Robben's pace if fit.

Will be one of those gut wrenching nights at OT I think.

6-5 if Rooney managed to finish all those chances.

Couldn't believe the one in the first half, would have put my house on him scoring!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

so glad to see utd lose by a poxy goal (or 2) tonight :D

nullzero wrote: »
    Lol is right. Lets see how Chelsea get on in their quarter final tie. Oh hang on:pac:

Haha good one, what have Chelsea got to do with it? I was replying to the person who said United would have won if Vidic's header went in. It didn't happen nor did Bayern taking most of their chances.

Some people just can't take a defeat tbh.

Rooney seemed frustrated tonight, his own performance and the scraps he had to work on from the midfield i guess, stupid booking he picked up, if we do progress it could become a big factor

Rooney seemed frustrated tonight, his own performance and the scraps he had to work on from the midfield i guess, stupid booking he picked up, if we do progress it could become a big factor

He didn't seem himself tonight. How come Valencia didn't start? was he carrying a knock? He changed the game in Milan was surprised not seeing him start.

He didn't seem himself tonight. How come Valencia didn't start? was he carrying a knock? He changed the game in Milan was surprised not seeing him start.

dunno, we were discussing it before the game, lack of experience in Europe was about the best I could come up with, i honestly dont know though, Nani did alright in fairness to him, the midfield couldnt string a pass together so its hard to be too critical of the wingers and frontman i guess, if we dont have the ball they are pretty redundant

dunno, we were discussing it before the game, lack of experience in Europe was about the best I could come up with, i honestly dont know though, Nani did alright in fairness to him, the midfield couldnt string a pass together so its hard to be too critical of the wingers and frontman i guess, if we dont have the ball they are pretty redundant

Yeah Nani actually played well enough. Park,Carrick and Scholes were pretty poor I thought, Fletcher had a great first half but was quiet second half.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

That was a miserable display tonight from Man Utd - the defence were terrible & our midfield created nothing. The fact that Van der Sar had a great game kind of summed it up.

About halfway through the first half, I was thinking, "this is like watching Ireland play - get an early goal, then sit back & wait for the pressure to build back on us". I also thought, that seeing as this was Man Utd, we'd at least push ahead in the 2nd half, not sit back & not do what Ireland do best - concede a last minute goal to lose the game.

How wrong I was. Miserable display.. the only good thing that we can take from the game is an away goal. The rest is better left in Munich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

BBC saying Rooney left the stadium in crutches :(

IvySlayer wrote: »

wouldnt read too much into it, most likely a precaution

The whole team would've left the stadium on crutches if I had got my hands on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

If he has sprained his ankle, the worst thing you can do is put pressure on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

m@cc@ wrote: »
    If he has sprained his ankle, the worst thing you can go is put pressure on it.

Do they not advocate these days that you actually do need to get up walking on a sprain insteading of resting it......
    I'd imagine in Rooney's case tho' that they will probably be well cautious until medical confirmation of the problem tomorrow:)

My bad, I'm wrong!!!!!
    Should be rested for a few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

About halfway through the first half, I was thinking, "this is like watching Ireland play - get an early goal, then sit back & wait for the pressure to build back on us". I also thought, that seeing as this was Man Utd, we'd at least push ahead in the 2nd half, not sit back & not do what Ireland do best - concede a last minute goal to lose the game.

Ha ha,I was thinking the exact same thing :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

That was a miserable display tonight from Man Utd - the defence were terrible & our midfield created nothing. The fact that Van der Sar had a great game kind of summed it up.

How wrong I was. Miserable display.. the only good thing that we can take from the game is an away goal. The rest is better left in Munich.

Yep, I thought that as well - when the goal went in I was hoping that Utd would drive on and get a second one, especially since Bayern were playing poorly at that stage. What was worrying was that when Bayern stepped it up a gear ir two, United couldn't respond to the change in pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Why were the big game tactics changed is what I want to know, in the last few big games it's been Val and Nani on the wings and Park in the centre. We really lacked the energy in midfield tonight, Fletch can't do everything in there...

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    Why were the big game tactics changed is what I want to know, in the last few big games it's been Val and Nani on the wings and Park in the centre. We really lacked the energy in midfield tonight, Fletch can't do everything in there...

That's a good point. And then, just as Fergie decided to play a more attacking game, hoping to liven the game up with the 4-4-1-1, Neville, the dope, sticks out his hand & Rooney cancels out his own goal.

Very frustrating stuff.

Liam O wrote: »

Presumably the logic was that in an away game Scholesie's pasing ability would be useful.

Was disappointed not to see Park in the centre myself however, like yourself and surprised to see Valencia on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

flahavaj wrote: »
    Presumably the logic was that in an away game Scholesie's pasing ability would be useful.

Was disappointed not to see Park in the centre myself however, like yourself and surprised to see Valencia on the bench.

We could have played Scholes, Park and Fletch in the centre and Carrick be the one dropped. Carrick was getting forward a fair bit tonight so it's not like he was even there specifacally for his covering the back four (which is the only thing he can do half way well).

Pro. F wrote: »
    We could have played Scholes, Park and Fletch in the centre and Carrick be the one dropped. Carrick was getting forward a fair bit tonight so it's not like he was even there specifacally for his covering the back four (which is the only thing he can do half way well).

I've been saying for a couple of years now that Carrick isn't up to it, so I don't disagree one bit with your starting midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

The funniest thing about this thread is that some Utd fans would rather win the Champions League then the League.:D

I don't know one Utd fan that would like it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Fromvert wrote: »
    The funniest thing about this thread is that some Utd fans would rather win the Champions League then the League.:D

I think the majority of us would like to win both....please and thank you!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I'd prefer the Permier league myself.

Most united fans i know have the league as the main priority each season

i know i do, would be nice to win both of course

well the champions league is the biggest and most valuable trophy on club football in the world. Whatever some peoples perception may be that's a fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Boskowski wrote: »
    well the champions league is the biggest and most valuable trophy on club football in the world. Whatever some peoples perception may be that's a fact

That's an hilarious statement. It's not a fact because you think it is. What about the World Cup? What about the World Club Championship? Ultimately, some people think, myself included, that the Champions League is in fact not a league, but a cup. As such, it isn't as true a test of skill as a league. The Premiership for me will be the most important as its endemic of a performance over the season. The CL is just a harder FA Cup, and nobody will claim the FA Cup is more important than the league. As such, its a matter of opinion.

If the Champions League was in fact, a league, then I think I'd value it more, but its not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,832 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm nervous without Rooney for the second leg tbh even if we are at home

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement