Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bayern Munich vs. Manchester United

1131415161719»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Look, if your happy with the possiblity of a 4th place finish, a chance at the Champions League for the first time ever, and the warmth & happiness that the off-loading of an £18 million "donkey" makes in your heart, then who am I to argue?

We're both happy out, so can we leave it at that, or shall I leave you to win the one legged man arse kicking contest?

you would do well to get off this roundabout quickly as possible alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Look, if your happy with the possiblity of a 4th place finish, a chance at the Champions League for the first time ever, and the warmth & happiness that the off-loading of an £18 million "donkey" makes in your heart, then who am I to argue?

We're both happy out, so can we leave it at that, or shall I leave you to win the one legged man arse kicking contest?

Nothing to do with me wanting or believing anything, I'm not even Spurs fan so I don't know where you're getting that from. I'm not even debating Carrick as a player just that saying a player won trophies within a squad, doesn't justify diddly squat.

Rest of what you said is largely irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ush1 wrote: »
    I'm not even debating Carrick as a player just that saying a player won trophies within a squad, doesn't justify diddly squat.

What are you debating him as?

A Dolphin?

Grand Carrick is not a very good dolphin!

Boggles wrote: »
    What are you debating him as?

A Dolphin?

Grand Carrick is not a very good dolphin!

Not debating him at all really. Logic you see, saying someone won trophies don't make them worth 18 mill. Simple. You understand now?

Not debating him at all really

Well you are. :confused:

Logic you see,

No I don't see
    saying someone won trophies don't make them worth 18 mill. Simple. You understand now?

He cost 16 million, rising to 18.6 on success.

Is it the money United paid for Carrick you have a problem with?

• Advertisement

Well you are. :confused:

No I don't see

He cost 16 million, rising to 18.6 on success.

Is it the money United paid for Carrick you have a problem with?

No I'm not.
    I don't have a problem with anything. See earlier posts, maybe have a cup of coffee, then read again and you might understand. Mediocre players have won trophies before.

Mediocre players have won trophies before.

Yes they have, doesn't mean they were mediocre achieving a trophy though.

United are going for 4 league titles in a row, 3rd champions league final in a row and a sprinkling of domestic cup success.

Mediocrity does not exist in the United team.

At the highest constant level, there is no room for it.

To suggest anything different shows a distinct lack of knowledge of any sport when played at the levels United have consistently achieved.

Yes they have, doesn't mean they were mediocre achieving a trophy though.

United are going for 4 league titles in a row, 3rd champions league final in a row and a sprinkling of domestic cup success.

Mediocrity does not exist in the United team.

At the highest constant level, there is no room for it.

To suggest anything different shows a distinct lack of knowledge of any sport when played at the levels United have consistently achieved.

And the trophies may have been won in spite of them rather than because of them. Oleguer has a CL and 2 Liga medals when he was with Barca, played quite alot of games and was mediocre by the standards of the club.

Depends what you're satisfied with, if you think Man. United can't get any better then change nothing? Funnily enough it's at the "highest level" when Carrick has been questioned. Maybe you could have won another CL?

Funnily enough it's at the "highest level" when Carrick has been questioned.

United play at the highest level regardless of who is being put in question
    Maybe you could have won another CL?

Or they might have won nothing.

United play at the highest level regardless of who is being put in question

Or they might have won nothing.

So you see the point then now?

• Advertisement

So you see the point then now?

So your point was United have had success despite Carrick, but might not have had the succes if he wasn't there.

Aprils Fools?

So your point was United have had success despite Carrick, but might not have had the succes if he wasn't there.

Aprils Fools?

No, that wasn't my point.

No, that wasn't my point.

Okay. When you make up your mind what exactly is your point you might....forget it.

Okay. When you make up your mind what exactly is your point you might....forget it.

It's fairly clear what my point is and it hasn't changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

you guys are taking arguing tips from the Liverpool thread I see ;)

Carrick's made a scapegoat a lot, when sometimes it's not actually his fault, but i do think he's sub-standard for Utd, regardless of the trophies he's won with them.

trophies equal great individual player.

that doesn't mean he's been carried, or any sh*t like that, it just means there is room for improvement in that area.

SlickRic wrote: »
    it just means there is room for improvement in that area.

That doesn't mean that Carrick needs to replaced.

You can bring the best out of a player by bringing in a certain type of player to play with him.

2 suggest Carrick is mediocre is moronic in the extreme.

To suggest United have mainted constant success with a player in the team and its only despite him, is moronic in the extreme, especially a central midfielder.

To brandish him muck and try use him as a scapegoat for the other night is just plain retarded.

Carrick deserves his success and has been a large part of it.

To mount a defence of a player by simply listing he has been part of a squad that has won things, is moronic in the extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

If Manchester United step up, like I expect they will, they are very capable of winning this tie by 3 or 4 goals. Barca hockeyd Bayern 4-0 at the Camp Nou last season at the same stage.

eZe^ wrote: »
    If Manchester United step up, like I expect they will, they are very capable of winning this tie by 3 or 4 goals. Barca hockeyd Bayern 4-0 at the Camp Nou last season at the same stage.

Yep, I think they will do that even without Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I wouldn't rely on the Barca game as a good indicator as to how Bayern will perform next week. It was an entirely different team, with a terrible manager and turmoil all over the club. This year they're far more stable, with a better manager and better players in the roster (Gomez and Robben, namely). It won't be that easy for United.

• Advertisement

To mount a defence of a player by simply listing he has been part of a squad that has won things, is moronic in the extreme.

He has played the majority of first team games, including most of the "big ones".

Your acting like he is a fringe squad player.

I'm not solely basing his worth to united on the clubs success, discounting it though is stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Can we go back to talking about how Bayern is going to make all this a mute point come Wednesday again? :D

If my Grandma had balls etc....

Did it ever occur to you that it may not have been the case that Manchester just had a bit of a cold or just didn't feel like playing, that just maybe their opponent didn't allow them to play well?

What if Bayern actually kicked them out of the competition come Wednesday? Will you keep going on about how really Manchester is well capable of 'hockeying' them 3 or 4 or 5 nil, but how just this thing or the other went against them that night and it was all a bit of a fluke? And how really they're not even in the same league at all?

Fkn hell?!? Manchester may well beat them by 3, actually I think they are still favourites. But have a bit of respect man ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Boskowski wrote: »
    Can we go back to talking about how Bayern is going to make all this a mute point come Wednesday again? :D

It's "moot"...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

keane2097 wrote: »
    It's "moot"...

Stop being so over confident. Bayern have one or two good players. Championship standard, one could say.

:pac:

keane2097 wrote: »
    It's "moot"...

Damned, according to dict.cc it is. Well English is not my first language obviously. Thanks :rolleyes:

If my Grandma had balls etc....

Did it ever occur to you that it may not have been the case that Manchester just had a bit of a cold or just didn't feel like playing, that just maybe their opponent didn't allow them to play well?

What if Bayern actually kicked them out of the competition come Wednesday? Will you keep going on about how really Manchester is well capable of 'hockeying' them 3 or 4 or 5 nil, but how just this thing or the other went against them that night and it was all a bit of a fluke? And how really they're not even in the same league at all?

Fkn hell?!? Manchester may well beat them by 3, actually I think they are still favourites. But have a bit of respect man ffs.

I wouldn't take it so personally but looking at the game as a neutral, you would favour Man. United. An away goal and back at Old Trafford. They may knocked United out but for most people watching they would heavily favour a home win and they are just being honest, nothing to do with lack of respect.

I wouldn't take it so personally but looking at the game as a neutral, you would favour Man. United. An away goal and back at Old Trafford. They may knocked United out but for most people watching they would heavily favour a home win and they are just being honest, nothing to do with lack of respect.

Actually, I agree. 2:1 away is a good result after all.

However, I think scoring 1 won't be good enough for Utd though since Bayern is going to score with Schweinsteiger and Robben back (bar further injury woes vs Schalke on Saturday). Perfect setup for a bit of treat for us in the TV audience.

Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Damned, according to dict.cc it is. Well English is not my first language obviously. Thanks :rolleyes:

You're welcome :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Actually, I agree. 2:1 away is a good result after all.

However, I think scoring 1 won't be good enough for Utd though since Bayern is going to score with Schweinsteiger and Robben back (bar further injury woes vs Schalke on Saturday). Perfect setup for a bit of treat for us in the TV audience.

Looking forward to it.

I agree with this - I think United have to either score 3, or win it on peno's. I don't see it being a 1-0 win for United at OT. With Robben and Schwiensteiger back it will be a more potent Munich attack, and United's will be somewhat blunted without Rooney. Personally, I think Munich are the favourites for it at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

No i think youll find its exactly the point. Original post, a spurs fan happy with the money they got for him.

Laugin all the way to the bank ush1 on that carrick deal , and come to think of it on the berb deal as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

BERBA wrote: »
    Laugin all the way to the bank ush1 on that carrick deal , and come to think of it on the berb deal as well :D

We'll settle for laughing all the way to the trophy cabinet. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

We'll settle for laughing all the way to the trophy cabinet. :cool:

Yeah and up to yere necks in debt ! , it'll eventually catch up to ye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

BERBA wrote: »
    Yeah and up to yere necks in debt ! , it'll eventually catch up to ye

which has very little to do with player purchases - so not at all relevant to the players bought (and the championships they have won)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement