Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bayern Munich vs. Manchester United

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I think this will be a lot closer than people expect

Less so without Robben although Ribery can do some damage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm both extremely nervous but very excited about it.

IMO, Manchester United are a better team than Bayern. I think Bayern's defence is weak, and I think Bayern will pack the middle in order to deal with that. That said, with the talent in the squad, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Bayern win the leg and the tie. As such, I'm very very nervous :)

An away goal will do it for me, preferably 2. Score draw or even a 3-2 defeat would be good results I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

PHB wrote: »
    I'm both extremely nervous but very excited about it.

IMO, Manchester United are a better team than Bayern. I think Bayern's defence is weak, and I think Bayern will pack the middle in order to deal with that.

That is why i think Manutd can kill the tie with a couple of goals hopefully. Rooney, Valencia, Nani, Park are all in great form.

Really looking forward to this game, fantasic stadium as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Vanbis wrote: »
    That is why i think Manutd can kill the tie with a couple of goals hopefully. Rooney, Valencia, Nani, Park are all in great form.

Really looking forward to this game, fantasic stadium as well.

Valencia hasn't been great for the past few games, imo, he's not playing half as good as he was in January/February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

baz2009 wrote: »
    Valencia hasn't been great for the past few games, imo, he's not playing half as good as he was in January/February.

really?

excellent vs Milan
    good if not great vs Fulham (certainly not bad by any means)
    Was dangerous vs Liverpool, every time we got the ball to him.
    a bit quiet yesterday but generally had to wait to long for people to actually get in to the box. Didn't have someone to aim at early enough imo.

Games before those weren't bad either (Villa, Milan away etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Ok, it seems the mood in the Bayern squad is not great at the moment.

Two successive defeats. The last one to Stuttgart on Saturday at the cost of a Robben injury. Which was totally unnecessary since Robben was introduced at halftime for someone who just had scored. Bad management error I think. No need to take Olic off, he's unhappy and is kicking up, Robben got a minor injury - and the match was lost anyway.
    Plus the entire squad is getting pissy with the special treatment the 2 foreign superstars are gettin.

All not good.

But yet I'm amazed at the confidence shown by the Manu boardsies. I guess thats what you get with the kind of record that ManU has.

About time someone puts manners on them me thinks :pac:

Anyway...

Robben strained his calf a bit on Saturday and missed todays early morning training. Medical staff says it's minor and him not training is just being extra careful. I'd be amazed if he wasn't on the pitch come tomorrow 19:45. At worst he'll be playing from the bench.
    Schweinsteiger suspended is a bit of a bummer alright especially since Altintop and Timovtschuk weren't Champions League material lately. Pranjic probably playing for Schweinsteiger which is a tactical change.
    Overall Bayern should still have the upper hand in the middle of the park though.
    Gomez will be back on the bench, but he hasn't shown much this season anyway. I'm hoping for Klose & Olic up front. Mueller & Gomez providing options. Overall forwards won't have you in awe but good enough.
    Bit worried about the back. Demichelis actually played v Stuttgart which is good. Van Buyten will be there and of course our best player Philip Lahm. Left back....

But could be worse. I'm looking forward to this. Match of the year so far for me. No doubt Bayern will show up for this, don't fool yourselves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

With Utd's stifling, standard issue away in Europe, counter-attacking 451, I don't see this as a dead game, but the likely 0-0 or 1-1 draw will be more than enough to go through.

I foresee a very similar, almost ultra-defensive approach to that used at Stamford Bridge earlier in the season in particular

really?

excellent vs Milan
    good if not great vs Fulham (certainly not bad by any means)
    Was dangerous vs Liverpool, every time we got the ball to him.
    a bit quiet yesterday but generally had to wait to long for people to actually get in to the box. Didn't have someone to aim at early enough imo.

Games before those weren't bad either (Villa, Milan away etc)

I don't think he's been getting in the same amount of crosses, whilst still getting the ball. I think defenders are beginning to realise that he has no left foot at all, which hinders him severely, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

dfx- wrote: »
    I foresee a very similar, almost ultra-defensive approach to that used at Stamford Bridge earlier in the season in particular

What?

United dominated the majority of that game.

United had 61% possesion in the 2nd half, had 7 corners to Chelsea's 0, and took 12 shots to Chelsea's 8.

How in any way is that an ultra-defensive approach?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

My over-riding memory of that game was of Utd smothering Chelsea's attack by throwing as many people in midfield as possible. I don't remember any forward pressure from Utd. You can dominate games and be very defensive. It is a mirror image of many big Utd away games.

53% territorial advantage to Chelsea, 54% possession to Utd overall, Utd had two shots on target in the whole game to Chelsea's six. Wayward shooting from distance or on the break maybe? [cliché]Stats can show anything[/cliche]

My over-riding memory of that game was of Utd smothering Chelsea's attack by throwing as many people in midfield as possible. I don't remember any forward pressure from Utd. You can dominate games and be very defensive. It is a mirror image of many big Utd away games.

53% territorial advantage to Chelsea, 54% possession to Utd overall, Utd had two shots on target in the whole game to Chelsea's six. Wayward shooting from distance or on the break maybe? [cliché]Stats can show anything[/cliche]

You said United played ultra-defensive, there is a huge difference between flooding midfield and playing ultra-defensive. The only time I remember United ever playing ultra defensive for the majority of a game was against Barcalona in the semi-final.

Chelsea played a diamond in midfield that day, with no wide players (with the expection of the fullbacks pushing on). If anything Chelsea where more to blame for flooding the midfield than United.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Over the 2 legs United will advance comfortably.

Bukman13 wrote: »
    My only conclusion to this is that the changes were only made with a view to the United match, and they plan to play a 3-man midfield so they are not over run by our 3-man midfield of Carrick, Fletcher and Park. So I'm expecting Bayern to line up 4-2-3-1 on Tues.

???

Apart from me not getting this at all who in Europe is ever going to be run over by a '3-man midfield of Carrick, Fletcher and Park'?

Boskowski wrote: »
    ???

Apart from me not getting this at all who in Europe is ever going to be run over by a '3-man midfield of Carrick, Fletcher and Park'?

Milan?

The sheer amount of running Fletcher and Park do, and the pressure they put on the oppo midfield should not be underestimated.

???

A Bayern midfield 2, without Schweinsteiger for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Fizman wrote: »
    I admire the level of optimism here. I'll admit to finding it a bit humorous too mind. I think there'll be a couple of surprised heads once the game gets underway.

People were giving us the same condescending stuff before the Milan tie.

Bayern, like a few of their players I could mention, are good but extremely overrated.

We'll be too good for them and go through comfortably in the end, same as the last round.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Is there anyone who believes Bayern are dangerous and Could knock UTD out? Are people overconfident or realistic. I think utd will go through myself btw but I believe Bayern are better than what some people think. Both legs should be competitive

Bad memory tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

???

Most teams. Barca won't.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Is there anyone who believes Bayern are dangerous and Could knock UTD out?

Yes, me.

Robben and Ribery can cause any team in the world problems, on their day they can rip anyone apart.

I am certainly not taking this tie for granted - anything could happen. A score draw tomorrow and I will be happy.

I do think United should be favourites going in to the tie, but it is by no means a forgone conclusion and United will have to play at their best to ensure they do go through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Daniel Taylor from the Guardian says the German media are running with neither Robben or Ribery starting. Mind games per chance?

Archimedes wrote: »
    Daniel Taylor from the Guardian says the German media are running with neither Robben or Ribery starting.

i knew there was a doubt over Robben (slight injury and they have a massive league game at the weekend vs the league leaders) but hadn't heard there was a doubt over Ribery for tomorrow's game. Would be a massive boost to United if neither play tomorrow. Would need to take advantage of it and bring a win back to Manchester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

wouldnt surprise me considering both are made of glass

As I always say, Im not worried one bit. We have Darren Fletcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Is there anyone who believes Bayern are dangerous and Could knock UTD out?

Of course they could...any team that has Ribery & Robben who are probably two of the top wingers when on form, are going to be tricky opponents....

I think we'll come through in the end though. I'm worried about Neville/Rafael up against Ribery....

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Of course they could...any team that has Ribery & Robben who are probably two of the top wingers when on form, are going to be tricky opponents....

I think we'll come through in the end though. I'm worried about Neville/Rafael up against Ribery....
    To be honest, I am becoming less and less worried about Neville lately. He is not back to his best (he never will be imo) but he is far from the liability he had become previously.

keane2097 wrote: »
    People were giving us the same condescending stuff before the Milan tie.

You should listen to yourself. The only stuff I heard on this thread was people carefully asking whether the current ManU supporters attitude is not a bit overconfident and wont Bayern actually give them a bit of a game.

Calling that condescending is what I call condescending.

mufc-notarrogantjust_363439.jpg

:-D

You should listen to yourself. The only stuff I heard on this thread was people carefully asking whether the current ManU supporters attitude is not a bit overconfident and wont Bayern actually give them a bit of a game.

Calling that condescending is what I call condescending.

look at the post he is actually replying to, in fairness. it is not 'carefully' asking whether United fans are over confident, it is stating as fact that we are and that we will be surprised on Wednesday morning (implication after a defeat)

if Ribery and Robben are out Id be pretty confident now, I dont really fear bayerns CM or strikers, but utd have to show up and if they do we'll get a good result in Munich

• Advertisement

Are you actually for real :confused:
    Fizman wrote: »
    I admire the level of optimism here. I'll admit to finding it a bit humorous too mind. I think there'll be a couple of surprised heads once the game gets underway

Apparently a Bayern Munich spokesman has said that Robben won't be fit by himself, so will be given injections to stand any chance of playing.

Whatever. You are the best. Nobody stands a chance against you. Really you should be awarded the trophies at the start of the season by default.

Nice talking to you

lol

Whatever. You are the best. Nobody stands a chance against you. Really you should be awarded the trophies at the start of the season by default.

Nice talking to you

Archi has an admirer.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

You never underestimate a Champions League team. BUT

Form says United are favorites for a very good reason. Bayern scraped through against Fiorentina. By that I mean they were luck y to win the game in Germany. They got through by virtue of a wonder strike by Robben who by all accounts available to me is not playing and United are full strength.

TBH, a United fan is entitled to be confident about this fixture. Its Uniteds to lose and I for one cannot see that happening.

Some people seem to be getting upset by the utter defiance in confidence displayed here. Fair enough. I don't expect United to hammer Bayern, but I do expect them to win.

And yes I'm prepared to eat my words tomorrow at 10.30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Confident about the game from a United point of view but years of seeing us surprisingly turned over in the past has warned me to take nothing for granted. Leverkusen, Porto and Monaco are three such memories when we looked destined to progress in the knockout stages. You just never know.

However, we are much better laid out in Europe than before. Some argue that we don't play our normal game in away games for the sake of the result. At the end of the day, a result away from home is all that matters.

Can see us sneaking an away goal and a win. 1-0 United for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Nice talking to you

Been saying this for years myself, nice to see its finally being accepted by oppositoin fans (or also rans as we like to call them) ;)

:D

kryogen wrote: »
    Been saying this for years myself, nice to see its finally being accepted by oppositoin fans (or also rans as we like to call them) ;)

:D

haha very good

Ah never mind wasn't directed at anyone in particular anyway. Just a bit pissy about some of the attitude. With roles reversed same guys wouldn't be too happy either. ****ty day at work didn't help.

Now. Forza Bayern. See you all tomorrow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

haha very good

Ah never mind wasn't directed at anyone in particular anyway. Just a bit pissy about some of the attitude. With roles reversed same guys wouldn't be too happy either. ****ty day at work didn't help.

Or not, depending on the result, I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

haha very good

You have your German and Italian mixed up there....

None of which I'm guessing you have.

haha very good

God help us :rolleyes:

haha very good

GGGGGRRRRRRRR ARH BBBBBBOOOOOOOOOO <insert something kinda mean here> HHHHHHHHHHSSSSSSSSSS

Seems to be the way we are going.

What a bunch of nice people. Is it mandatory for Manu supporters to be arrogant pricks ?

What a bunch of nice people. Is it mandatory for Manu supporters to be arrogant pricks ?

it is not mandatory, no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

but its frowned upon by other united fans if your not.

Spud83 wrote: »
    but its frowned upon by other united fans if your not.

damn straight ya freakin jessie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Not Arrogant, Just Better! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Along with other admirable traits.:)

Boggles wrote: »
    Not Arrogant, Just Better! ;)

to late boggles its been used :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement