Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lesotho (C&C)

• 28-03-2010 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

4420093449_2d1eb41a07_o.jpg

Out hiking through a mountain village, this kid ran up to me and stood cheekily but proudly
    until I took his photo. I showed it to him and he ran off delighted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Great picture, the kid is a little too central for my liking though. I'd crop it so he's to the left or right, and closer up, more portrait style. 'Tis a very cool shot though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Besides the centralness as cageyone said he is just not natural enough, too rigid in his pose.
    and he is lost in the vastness of the picture, I also feel like he is being exploited, harsh I know but...rich white tourist etc

Actually reading your story again and reading my reply seemed pretty harsh, I am just saying what I see in the picture.
    I would've put this in the random thread perhaps and not for c&c which can be a cruel place as a picture gets dissected,
    Again sorry if I seemed overly critical.

With shots like this you really need to have the story behind it along with. If we didn't know the kid ran up to be photographed of his own accord, and pulled that pose without being prompted, then you might think similar to the above. For that reason I'd make sure to give a brief description underneath wherever you use it.

I like his pose though, the dirty grin, clenched fists, acting all big for the camera. he doesn't look troubled or sad or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I like the image and the story behind it. But just to point out a few technical flaws which you requested.

What strikes me most is the high contrast of the scene. Its an environmental portrait of him and the young boy should be recognizable at the very least. His face is shrouded in darkness here. This is a complete no no for a shot like this.

If it wasn't a portrait, i'd say it's fine. But he seemed willing to get his photo taken so you the photographer should take good advantage of this and take a moment or two to set up the shot.

A few things I would have tried. Move out of the direct sunlight. Surely there must have been a tree he could have stood under. This would have the effect of evening up the light. The boy has very dark skin so you should try and expose for that. Probably by setting the camera to spot meter mode and take a reading from his face. You'd probably have to underexposing it a little maybe by as much as full stop to get it right in camera. If it's not possible to get out of the direct sun then you should use a little bit of fill flash to lower the contrast on his face. His pose could be a bit more dignified. Maybe stand him side on a little facing into the scene and off center a bit.

By taking these simple steps the image would look less like a snap shot which I presume is was goal.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

The face is a bit dark alright, but he did say the kid just ran up, posed, then ran off again. not much time to go fetch a reflector :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

The face is a bit dark alright, but he did say the kid just ran up, posed, then ran off again. not much time to go fetch a reflector :D

Em.... He didn't say exactly that. :)
    sarkozy wrote: »
    Out hiking through a mountain village, this kid ran up to me and stood cheekily but proudly until I took his photo. I showed it to him and he ran off delighted.

I think he'd have had time. Besides, I didn't mention anything about a reflector. Though it would have been handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

a lower viewpoint would have worked better

oshead wrote: »
    Em.... He didn't say exactly that. :)

I think he'd have had time. Besides, I didn't mention anything about a reflector. Though it would have been handy.

I didn't say you mentioned a reflector, joke ... y'know :rolleyes: :P And the kid pretty much ran up, posed, looked at the image then ran away again. I doubt he had time to go looking for a tree with the kid in tow.

He could've adopted the kid no?

• Advertisement

He could've adopted the kid no?

Or sell the picture to Madonna, who can then adopt him to join her clan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

technical flaws? Because portraits must adhere to strict guides?

Why not C&C the actual image, not what it could of been.

Tall, straight stance, shoulders back and open, fists clenched says pride but his grin still makes him a kid.

gerk86 wrote: »

Tall, straight stance, shoulders back and open, fists clenched says pride but his grin still makes him a kid.

I pretty much did C&C ...
    Great picture, the kid is a little too central for my liking though. I'd crop it so he's to the left or right, and closer up, more portrait style. 'Tis a very cool shot though.
    With shots like this you really need to have the story behind it along with. If we didn't know the kid ran up to be photographed of his own accord, and pulled that pose without being prompted, then you might think similar to the above. For that reason I'd make sure to give a brief description underneath wherever you use it.

I like his pose though, the dirty grin, clenched fists, acting all big for the camera. he doesn't look troubled or sad or anything.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

gerk86 wrote: »

yeah i dont quite get this comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Thanks for the comments, guys. It's a good discussion. Lots of important points and issues raised.

The compositional thing: to me, if anything, he's not central enough. I honestly had a split second to take this and had to make a quick decision. I decided to centre the kid because I wanted to introduce some kind of edginess to the photo, a sort of uncertainty about where the kid is in the world. Sounds airy-fairy but the thing about Lesotho is people's lives are fairly precarious, and as a kid, he has so many possibilities, so I felt it reflected the nature of childhood, too. I do agree, the angle's slightly too high but I was on the side of a steep hill (Lesotho is 80% mountains).

Exposure: unfortunately I didn't have my flash as I was hiking (Usually, I would use it). Lighting in Africa is so harsh and direct, and little option for cover. I did also feel that the kid deserves some anonymity.

I do also think the phot is different to your typical 'smiling black baby' shot (and boy I've taken some of those).

As for the comment about exploitation, well, yeah. Part of my comments above probably also have to do with my discomfort about the whole thing. I'm not a tourist here, I'm an aid worker (slightly different). (And wouldn't ordering the kid [who didn't speak English] about for me to take a nice photo not be more exploitative? I was happy that he consented so enthusiastically.)

Though I'm not 100% about the photo aesthetically or about the politics surrounding it, I like it and I felt I wanted some feedback.

Well, there's a little more about my intentions and thoughts behind the photo.

Lovely reply but one thing is bugging me, why are you taking time off from running the Republic of onion people? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Lovely reply but one thing is bugging me, why are you taking time off from running the Republic of onion people? :)
    Yewha?

Advertisement