Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essential Android Apps

Options
  • 28-03-2010 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭

Just picked up my first android phone - an Acer Liquid running 1.6. Great phone and loving it so far. The whole apps area can be a bit daunting to a new android user so I thought I would start this thread to see what apps people would recommend, I didn't want to hijack the other thread about JAertel.

Anyway so far I have installed the following apps.

Advanced Task Killer - Self explanatory
    BatteryTime - HUD for your battery
    Aidiko - Bookreader
    Cabbage
    Google Goggles - Visual Search Engine
    Google Sky Map - Really cool app
    Irish News - From Irish Times
    WaveSecure - Essential, helps to locate your phone using GPS if stolen/lost
    Ultrasound - Funny little app, turns your phone into one of those mosquito devices that annoy teenagers :pac:

Anyway what apps have you installed for fun or that you find essential?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

Using the Nexus, I've got:

Solo Lite - fun little guitar app
    Google sky map - not a whole lot to it but I still like it
    barcode scanner - works really well with QR codes, and I'm easily entertained so I love it:o
    qik - simple little app for streaming live video to the internet
    fart droid - makes fart noises, nuff' said
    speedtest - speedtest.net app
    color flashlight - primarily turns screen bright white (very handy), but there's a load more settings to it i.e. colours, flashing on and off, text display etc.
    realcalc - scientific calculator, just makes things a little easier than using the basic one that's pre installed
    notepad - does exactly what is says on the label
    convertpad - unit converter
    compass - simple little app with a few different types of compass and functionality
    Sudoku - easy way to kill some time if your that way inclined

PhoneMyPC - great app, gives complete access to your pc/laptop. Can be a bit jumpy after sustained use
    but all you have to do is go back to the main screen in the app and select the relevant computer again.
    It's $9.99 so you'll need access to the paid section of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

I have loads of crap that never gets used but here's a list of the ones that do come in handy:D

1) 3Banana notes: Excellent notepad that can be synced with gmail and snaptic accounts.

2) 3G Watchdog: Monitors data usage and alerts when close to your limit.

3) Convertos: Unit converter

4) IRL Cinema Guide: Cinema listings for every cinema in the country.

5) Linda file manager: File manager with backup capabilities.

6) Soccer Livescores: List of worldwide soccer matches and results.

7) WaveSecure: Wipes your phone remotely, locates it's position and blocks it's use if you loose it.

8) Zedge: Loads of free ringtones and wallpapers if your into that type of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Just grabbed that cinema guide and it works nicely!

Also I'd highly recommend Locale which allows you to pre-set your phone settings based on location.

So for example you want your phone to be silent at the cinema you can pre-set it to do just that automatically and it kicks in using your GPS when you are at that location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Cabbage-send texts from web account. Really handy when using my UK sim.

Pkt auctions-great ebay app

XE currency-does what it says on the tin

Last FM-needs WiFi

Layar

Cardio trainer-great for tracking runs and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I downloaded layar but haven't a bog as to how it works.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

You can basically add filters to it to show things around you locality. Great if you're somewhere new. The daft filter is great - I used it when moving somewhere else a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Advertisement