Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring Europe to Oriel.

Options
  • 28-03-2010 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭

Dundalk have started an early sale of tickets to the European game in July to aid with the development of Oriel park. Gerry Matthews (Dundalk's CEO) has stated on dundalkfm that if 1000 tickets are sold before the deadline that he will install the extra seats. The stadium needs approximately 3000 additional seats installed to bring it up to European standards. Any Dundalk fan, football fan or anybody that would like to see European football come to Dundalk should buy a ticket and support their local club! :)

http://www.dundalkfc.com/BETOP.asp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Im rushing to buy my ticket now ! For the away end :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Im rushing to buy my ticket now ! For the away end :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cheers southlouth, knew it was only a matter of time til you feckers started defecting! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Smacks of desperation tbh. Still hope ye manage it. It would be a shame to have to play elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

fh041205 wrote: »
    Smacks of desperation tbh. Still hope ye manage it. It would be a shame to have to play elsewhere.

Whys that? its a chance for us to improve the ground and potentially attract new supporters who probably never set foot in Oriel because of their support to English clubs

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Whys that? its a chance for us to improve the ground and potentially attract new supporters who probably never set foot in Oriel because of their support to English clubs

A laudable cause indeed. However selling tickets for a game when it is not yet known when or where it will be played, and when the opposition is undecided seems desperate. The game is ages away (3 months or more?) so people just won't have any interest yet.

I'll be there anyway, but I don't even have any intention of buying a ticket yet. I live 20 minutes away and am a huge LOI fan! How 'enthusiastic' do you think the PL fans are going to be about it at the minute?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Als76

Dundalk should get 1000 tickets sold before the deadline. The shed boys alone will buy that. There has been a big improvement with the upgrading works at Oriel park and the facilities. Lets hope we see European football back in Dundalk

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Als76 wrote: »
    Dundalk should get 1000 tickets sold before the deadline. The shed boys alone will buy that. There has been a big improvement with the upgrading works at Oriel park and the facilities. Lets hope we see European football back in Dundalk

Do you reckon there's a thousand lads in the shed?:confused:

OT, I agree, will be great for Dundalk FC to host some European games!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Well yes I suppose it is desperation. It's simple, if we don't raise enough by selling early tickets we play in Dublin. Makes perfect sense as all our money is tied up in paying off last years debts and in the youth development centre.

I wouldn't expect any fans of other clubs to buy tickets early but it may be the only chance of them getting a ticket as it is likely that the capacity for this game will be around the 3000 mark. The first batch of tickets will go to the early bookers and the second will go to season ticket holders and trust members. Might not be a whole lot left after this.

I don't really think this has the potential to attract new fans to the club as unfortunately they're may not be room for them as we would get an attendance of 3000 against the Dublin clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

doncarlos wrote: »
    Well yes I suppose it is desperation. It's simple, if we don't raise enough by selling early tickets we play in Dublin. Makes perfect sense as all our money is tied up in paying off last years debts and in the youth development centre.

I wouldn't expect any fans of other clubs to buy tickets early but it may be the only chance of them getting a ticket as it is likely that the capacity for this game will be around the 3000 mark. The first batch of tickets will go to the early bookers and the second will go to season ticket holders and trust members. Might not be a whole lot left after this.

I don't really think this has the potential to attract new fans to the club as unfortunately they're may not be room for them as we would get an attendance of 3000 against the Dublin clubs.

And the other Louth club .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

theres another?? :D

• Advertisement

Yes but we've actually been around Europe to see us play. Most Dundalk fans haven't. Would ye like some pointers on the modern European game???:D

3000 for a Louth derby is a bit optimistic. It was about 2500 same as the Pats game more or less (officially that is, I would have said less). Although it was on tv. Any developments on ticket sales for this game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

:)Got my ticket. Hope they reach the target as the current stand isnt the best.

theres another?? :D

Aye the type that play at the HUNKY DORY park - I can't get over that name still laugh out loudly at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I really would go to dundalk matches if those clowns who call themselves ultra's etc would get lost. Gives dundalk a bad name away from home and just look horrible aroudn the town. Go for the football and not for the fights. Utter clowns not another word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭one1

As of Thursday evening total office and on-line bookings sit at 285.This includes a number of people of have made provisional bookings without payments.

Not bad. Did I hear of an April deadline for Uefa with regards to the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Tickets have passed the 500 mark and the Oriel Park office has been busy this morning. Tomorrow is the deadline and the Oriel Park office will be open from 10am til 1pm.

Estimates after Friday and Saturday are up to 850-900 with tickets still to be counted.

From www.dundalkfc.com :
    BE-TOP CAMPAIGN: LAST ORDERS BEFORE DEADLINE!
    Meetings on Monday night are expected to confirm if the club has reached the first target for the BRING EUROPE TO ORIEL CAMPAIGN. You can help by booking your tickets online or by contacting Oriel Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Just bought a couple via paypal there...hopefully its no too late to be counted...

Did we make the target?

So this is just a deadline set by the club to raise a certain amount of money then? I thought UEFA had a date set by which time the ground had to be up to scratch.

Say, Dundalk get the numbers they want by Monday. Is it simply a case of starting the work on the ground then. Even so have they decided exactly what improvements they're going to do yet?

• Advertisement

BE-TOP CAMPAIGN: SUCCESS!
    The upgrading of Oriel Park to UEFA category 2 standard got the go-ahead at a Dundalk FC board meeting as the total advance bookings exceeded the initial 1000 target. Almost 1200 tickets have been booked for the tie so far. Please continue your support if you have not booked already! Many thanks to everybody who has made this campaign a success. A further statement will be released soon.

Thanks to all who booked! DFC!:D

Just two links on the current developements...

LOCAL BUSINESS, TOURISM AND POLITICAL GROUPS SUPPORT BETOP

-

Gerry Matthews

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

So this is just a deadline set by the club to raise a certain amount of money then? I thought UEFA had a date set by which time the ground had to be up to scratch.

They'll probably draw up a tender and allow offers on the work (given that the pre-sales make it viable) before they're in a position to declare a completion date to UEFA

The brother just told me that he has mine got for me! happy days, will be home for that!:pac::pac:

Pity the capacity is so limited, it could sell twice over if the seats were there. Anyone who hasn't got tickets would want to geta move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

bumping this to keep ya all informed.
    afaik there is still a limited ammount off tickets available.last estemation was around 400(available) tickets non-booked for stand and/or ground.as the date for this match approaches interest will grow significantly so if your interested, im giving you the heads up now.get your ticket.oriel park has gone through a transformation of late with new seating being put in place in all areas(sorry, shed included)
    European nights in oriel have a special flavour to them(for those who can remember the celtic,spurs,and hadjuk split games)so this is an oppurtunity not to be missed.
    tickets available @ oriel,on the beezer and online.
    DFC atw

Europa League VIP & Corporate Hospitality

http://www.dundalkfc.com/EuropaHospitality.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

a little trip to Luxembourg then possibly Sofia, Bulgaria

http://www.dundalkfc.com/home.asp

• Advertisement
Advertisement