Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New GPS - where to go!

Options
  • 28-03-2010 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I wanna invest in a decent GPS system. I read here that the Navi 250 is a good piece of kit. Although that thread was 3 years old!

I have about €100 - €150 to spend. Just Irish roads would suffice. I'm no Sales Rep - just for the odd bit of use.

Any suggestions and the best places to buy would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Garmin & TomTom are both good. Garmin use Navteq maps & TomTom use (and own) Teleatlas. Navteq maps are generally more up to date, but with TomTom mapshare you have the ability to correct some map errors. You can also choose to share this correction with others & choose to use corrections others make.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

koolkid wrote: »
    Garmin & TomTom are both good. Garmin use Navteq maps & TomTom use (and own) Teleatlas. Navteq maps are generally more up to date, but with TomTom mapshare you have the ability to correct some map errors. You can also choose to share this correction with others & choose to use corrections others make.

Cheers koolkid - I appreciate the help.

Might this be a good choice?
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_498027_langId_-1_categoryId_212513

As I'm a complete novice, how do the onboard maps work? I assume anything bought today is totally up to date (within reason obviosuly!)

Do you get free updates for the life of the unit or do you have to pay for map updates annually?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

sticker wrote: »
    Cheers koolkid - I appreciate the help.

Might this be a good choice?
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_498027_langId_-1_categoryId_212513

As I'm a complete novice, how do the onboard maps work? I assume anything bought today is totally up to date (within reason obviosuly!)

Do you get free updates for the life of the unit or do you have to pay for map updates annually?

Thats a good device .
    The preloaded maps are generally out of date but you will get one update when you register your device.
    Maps are released every quarter.

Garmin nüMaps Lifetime is a 1-time purchase that lets you download the most up-to-date map information for the life of your Garmin device.
    nüMaps Lifetime subscription lets you download the newest map data up to 4 times per year without any further fees for the lifetime of your Garmin device.

TomTom use a latest map guarantee..
    The first time you connect your device to TomTom HOME, HOME will automatically check if a newer version of your map is available to download straight away.
    At the moment if you purchase a years map upde subscription from TomTom you will get 2 further updates (6 months) free after your subscription expires.

Thats a good device .
    The preloaded maps are generally out of date but you will get one update when you register your device.
    Maps are released every quarter.

Garmin nüMaps Lifetime is a 1-time purchase that lets you download the most up-to-date map information for the life of your Garmin device.
    nüMaps Lifetime subscription lets you download the newest map data up to 4 times per year without any further fees for the lifetime of your Garmin device.

TomTom use a latest map guarantee..
    The first time you connect your device to TomTom HOME, HOME will automatically check if a newer version of your map is available to download straight away.
    At the moment if you purchase a years map upde subscription from TomTom you will get 2 further updates (6 months) free after your subscription expires.

Thanks - very helpful advise indeed. much appreciated...

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

sticker wrote: »
    Hi all,

I wanna invest in a decent GPS system. I read here that the Navi 250 is a good piece of kit. Although that thread was 3 years old!

I have about €100 - €150 to spend. Just Irish roads would suffice. I'm no Sales Rep - just for the odd bit of use.

Any suggestions and the best places to buy would be appreciated!

Thanks.
    Have a look at memoryc, their prices are usually very good

http://www.memoryc.com/gpsnavigation/systems.html?Brands=Garmin

• Advertisement

jspuds wrote: »
    Have a look at memoryc, their prices are usually very good

http://www.memoryc.com/gpsnavigation/systems.html?Brands=Garmin

Interesting... they have a reconditioned unit here:
    http://www.memoryc.com/products/description/Garmin_Nuvi_205_3_5-GPS_with_full_UK_Ireland_maps-REFURBISHED_/index.html

Is there much in setting it up? - I was drawn to Halfords as they fit & setup free (the lazy pox that I am!)

There is no fitting & setting up. Sticks to your windscreen & plugs into cigarette lighter socket.

There is no fitting & setting up. Sticks to your windscreen & plugs into cigarette lighter socket.

Thanks koolkid... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭hohojojo

easysatnav.co.uk sell all different sat nav i have bought 2 garmin 660 for 130 euro each delievered there great they have bluetooth and ireland and uk maps and they are delievered in 3 days great website and far cheaper than anywere in ireland when i was looking

hohojojo wrote: »
    easysatnav.co.uk sell all different sat nav i have bought 2 garmin 660 for 130 euro each delievered there great they have bluetooth and ireland and uk maps and they are delievered in 3 days great website and far cheaper than anywere in ireland when i was looking

Thanks hohojojo

• Advertisement
Advertisement