Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Pc Build Need Some advice(Have done some research)

Options
  • 28-03-2010 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hey

Im hoping to order parts for a PC Build this week.The closest i have ever come to building a PC is upgrading the RAM on my old PC :)

Im hoping to spend around €400 maybe €500,I will be using the PC for Photo Editing and possibly Video editing in the future as well as gaming.

Il probably play the newer games that are out BFBC2 COD MW2 etc but i dont need to play them at the highest settings as i also have a Xbox.

I think i can save money on the Case if i get a plain one and the Hard Drive if i go around 200,300 GB i have a 1.5 TB External HD and a laptop so memory isnt a major issue.
    Also i may just ad a DVD/CD RW drive and upgrade to Blueray some time this year.
    THe case and Hard Drive can also be upgraded at some time in the year.

So this is what i was thinking of building

Intel 5300 Over Clocked to 3.47GHz
    Asus P5P43TD
    4GB DDR3 1333MHz http://cgi.ebay.ie/E5300-OVERCLOCKED-CPU-MOTHERBOARD-BUNDLE-4GB-DDR3_W0QQitemZ350230628697QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motherboards_CPUs?hash=item518b5f4959
    Im still undecided on a Graphics Card,im willing to spend about €100 on this
    For the HD i was thinking Western Digital 320 Gb RPM 7200 Its 2nh hand on ebay costing about €38 delivered
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/NEW-Western-Digital-Caviar-WD800BB-80-GB-Hard-DRIVE_W0QQitemZ200444563641QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_HardDrives_RL?hash=item2eab6d50b9

SO my questions are
    (1)Should i use this Dual Core or change to Quad Core?
    (2)I need some recommendations in a Graphics Card
    (3)How would you rate a HD with a RPM of 7200?SSD HDs seem to be coming down in price so i would like to hold out and check the price in a year or 2
    (4)I need some recommendations on a case and PSU,I think i should use a 650 watt PSU?
    (5)THis is my 1st build so im not too sure about which components to buy.From what i understand this system seems to be give me good value for my money.However im not experienced.If you have any suggestions on what to chage/add feel free to let me know.

Thank You In Advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ShamrockAir

I should also add that all these prices or from Ebay,If you know of a site where i might get them cheaper please let me know thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If Your intending doing video editing it might be better to get a quad. Although it would be fast @ 3.47Ghz, the 5300 suffers because of it only having 2MB L2 cache

Actually i wont be video editing,As i have never done it before it will more than likely not be doing much so il use my Bros PC for that

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Hornd

The link to the hard drive is only to an 80g one?

Probably go with something along the lines of this.

i3build.png

You can add another 2g of RAM at a later date when they come down a little in price.

The samsung f3s are the best hard drives on the market atm.

No need for a massive PSU. A good quality 400W-500W PSU should be fine for this type of build.

A HD 5670 will play COD MW2 etc. not at a blistering pace but it'll run them nicely enough.

• Advertisement

Hi Hornd

Thank You for the advice.That was the wrong link to the HD.

WHat website was that Screen Grab you posted from?

As i said its my 1st build and was willing to take advice or completely change the system.

(How would you rate the system i had chosen?)

List is from http://www.komplett.ie - Irish firm based out in Blanchardstown.

I personally wouldn't be mad about buying overclocked processors off ebay but thats just me. The i3 is a newer model than the 5300.

At that price range you could look at some of the AMD processors but tbh i haven't ever had one so I don't know that much about them. You could go with something like this - http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=500139 and http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=477897. They were recommend in a recent sub 500 quid build.

The i5-750s are great processors but they might just be out of your price range unfortunately. That and a decent motherboard would probably come in at 280-300.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Hornd wrote: »
    List is from http://www.komplett.ie - Irish firm based out in Blanchardstown.

Komplett are not Irish, they're Norwegan
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komplett

Their depot in Blanch covers the UK though. They've got a forum on here so if You have any probs You've a place to go to sort it, much safer than Ebay.

Thanks again for your help.

The AMD processor has only 1.5 MB cache Memory where as the Intel has 4MB.
    I would imagine that the Intel would be much better for this reason although i a open to correction.

However it does not matter if its Intel or AMD i use,I plan on upgrading the Processor again around Xmas so for the moment i dont want to blow my budget on the i5-750 but thank you for the advice.

For the same price as the intel bundle i can get

AMD Athlon II X4 630Quad Core, 2.8Ghz
    MSI GF615M-P33 Mobo
    4Gb DDR3 Crucial 1066 MHZ
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=586930

SO now im getting double the Ram and a quad core instead of a dual core for the same price.

I can see now why building PCs is so addictive :) so many things to consider and yet much better than buying from a shop.

• Advertisement

My bad! I meant they had an outlet here!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komplett

Their depot in Blanch covers the UK though. They've got a forum on here so if You have any probs You've a place to go to sort it, much safer than Ebay.

You are still supporting Irish jobs by buying from them however; the two lads from Komplett on boards are extremely helpful and good to deal with (from what I have seen). Too many (e/re)tailers are in a race to the bottom to cut costs and offer diabolical customer service as a result. I would always pay that little bit more to support good service and Irish jobs.

I think elara.ie might be Irish owned but I'm not 100%, but I generally find their selection sub-par and have had no dealings with their customer service. I do like that their pick up point is this side of the M50 toll bridge though :D.

Looks like i will be dealing with Kompleet, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I was thinking Athlon IIX4.

You have yet to tell us the resolution of your monitor which is important enough when considering which gpu to get.

I wouldn't recommend getting only 2g's of ram as for your photo editing you'll really benefit from having more, We also need to know if you need a copy of windows with this too. They are around 80 euro so can effect the hardware budget significantly.

Other than that another few websites you could check out are ebuyer.com(for very cheap prices) + hardwareversand.de which will actually build your pc for you for only €20 I also think they are offering free shipping this week. (i got a mail in german from them, so really not sure lol)

Anywho that's my 2cents so far

Il hook it up to my TV which is a 32" LCD Full HD 1080P Resolution 1920x1080
    However i can lower the resolution if it means staying in budget.
    Thank you for the advice

ATM im using my laptop to edit photos,I use CS3 its a compaq presario CQ61 it has 2Gb DDR2 Ram,Intel Celeron 900 2.2 GHz and it works away fine.

For the OS i was thinking Ubuntu or maybe XP,Win 7 im not too sure yet but they are separate from the price.

I was hoping to build this for under €500 and have something halfway decent.Then during the year i could upgrade the CPU and GPU add more RAM etc.

Im really leaning torward the Athlon IIX4 at the moment for the 4GB Ram and quad core,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

attachment.php?attachmentid=109102&stc=1&d=1269887048

Right well this is what i've just put together.

It hits €500 built without delivery, the cpu cooler is only the stock so overclocking will not be that much of an option. The case is cheap, but looks good and i'd go looking for reviews of cases before you buy.

The ram is pretty old at this point it's not exactly slow, but just a bit slower than what else is available, so if you could muster a few extra euro then put it into that.

The thing is about a pc which games will be played on is that the best place to put the most money is always into the gpu. So I've gone with a 5770, I'm not a fan of these, you're essentially paying for dx11(although at your res you prob won't be able to play any dx11 game well with this gpu) it's just about as powerful as a 4870 which was readily available for around €100 only a few months ago. If I were you I'd almost go in search of a second hand 4890, cause those are great cards.

There is a 4850 for only €80 with a really nice cooler that would bring it all under budget, but it would struggle with full hd resolution :(

Thanks for the help.I went to that German site.Its quiet cheap there.

I started messing around and cam up with this.What do you think?

Article-No. Article Availability Delivery price HV20X463DE AMD Athlon II X4 630 Box AM3
    incl. VAT and excl. shipping costs
    immediately available 89,48 € HV20WL06DE Akasa AK-455-5G High Performance Wärmeleitpaste
    immediately available 5,13 € HV1127RVDE ASRock M3AN78D, Sockel AM3, ATX
    immediately available 47,23 € HV20AD13DE 4GB-Kit A-DATA Value DDR3 U-DIMM 1333
    immediately available 79,86 € HV203H01DE HKC Case 3011GS, ATX, 420Watt
    immediately available 23,02 € HV20CUIBDE Ultron Cardreader 75-in-1, intern, schwarz
    immediately available 9,33 € HV1026SPDE Sapphire HD5570 HM PCI-E VGA / DVI / DP W/ 1G DDR3 VRAM
    immediately available 73,55 € HV1332FSDE Samsung HD322HJ, 320GB, 16MB
    immediately available 43,14 € HV207H2ADE LG GH22NS40/NS30 bare schwarz SATA II
    immediately available 19,21 € Sum: 389,95 €
    2) 389,95 €

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Effluo wrote: »
    If I were you I'd almost go in search of a second hand 4890, cause those are great cards.

There is a 4850 for only €80 with a really nice cooler that would bring it all under budget, but it would struggle with full hd resolution :(

Bear in mind that adding those cards to the 95W CPU would force you to blow another €20-30 on a good 550W PSU, as the CX400 would struggle just a little with a 110-150W graphics card as well as the CPU. By comparison the HD5770 uses a lot less juice.

After much consideration i have decided to hold off building for another 2/3 months.
    It seems to be a waste of money buying the parts now and then upgrading when i all ready have 2 laptops.

I think i will save a bit more and P I7 instead of AMD.

A big thank you to everyone who helped.

Advertisement