Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often do you / did you skip lectures at UL? :)

Options
  • 28-03-2010 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

I found this in another thread and felt compelled to post it here.

So everyone, how often do you, or did you skip lectures here at the University of Limerick?

I myself am in second year and totally useless at making a lot of lectures for reasons being drunk, general tiredness or lack of interest.

Tutorials are more important but attendance at them haven't reflected the importance I have accorded to them. :D

So everyone tell us your experiences with attendance at lectures, tutorials or whatever!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

Have to say I am awful at lecture attendance! I'm a first year english and history student so I can kinda get away with it more than others ;) Many weeks I take the whole week off! I try make tutorials most of the time even though they are on wednesday mornings so it's a struggle if I'm sober :p But way I look at it is, it's easy enough to catch up on, even though the lectures aren't online, and I'll never be a first yr again, well hopefully not :p So if I can get away with it I'm gonna have the most fun I have, that involves no lecture attendance ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I try and show up for most of them, bar Academic Litracies.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

I'm pretty good for attendence, 90%+ for 1st year and 1st semester of 2nd year.
    I've missed more this year, especially HCI :cool:, probably attended around 75-80% this semester.

Academic Literacies is a definite miss, it's just soul crushing, didn't realise I could not get away with not going to that and looks like I've failed it already and its only week 9, :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

I tend to get to 90-95% of them this year but that is only after 2 years where I had 20-25% attendance and failed. I now try to make it to everything including those annoying 6pm support tutorials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I make sure to go to all my lectures, but there are some tutorials that are just pointless in attending.

It's either a bad tutor, or bad/irrelevant notes/material.

60% myself

i know a person who missed 100% in semester 1 of second year.
    got on grand in the exams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

neo2010 wrote: »
    I myself am in second year and totally useless at making a lot of lectures for reasons being drunk, general tiredness or lack of interest.

Bloody hell.

Maybe your time would be better spent reconsidering your course of study or your lifestyle choices in general rather than coming on a Internet bulletin board looking for bigger dossers than yourself.

Next time your 'being drunk', raise a glass for the tax payers who are paying for the lectures that you don't go to.

Bloody students....I suppose you'll be skipping lectures when you are all out protesting about reintroduction of fees

Don't get me started on the bloody students....

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

Flyer28 wrote: »
    Bloody hell.

Maybe your time would be better spent reconsidering your course of study or your lifestyle choices in general rather than coming on a Internet bulletin board looking for bigger dossers than yourself.

Next time your 'being drunk', raise a glass for the tax payers who are paying for the lectures that you don't go to.

Bloody students....I suppose you'll be skipping lectures when you are all out protesting about reintroduction of fees

And what percentage of lectures did you attend when you were at college?

I would say, that over my four years, I went to over 90% of my lectures and tutorials. I tried to go to everything because no matter how boring it was I was ended up retaining some of the info

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

Bloody hell.

No need to be bitter now....life's too short...particularly for you at this stage I suspect..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Take your asshat generalisations elsewhere.

Some people should get off their high horses and live a little before they enter into the reeeeeeal world ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

Bloody hell.

Jesus lighten up a little. This thread is only a bit of fun.

I only wanted to hear peoples experiences - not glorify absenteeism!

And in my own case, I try and make as much classes as possible but stupid things get in the way sometimes - yanno such as sickness or not liking a particular module.

Sometimes theres better things to do in life like roaming free among nature and hugging trees. Maybe even save the rainforests. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭dohda

made a grand total of 6 hours in the first semester of second year studying marketing. That's lectures and tutorials. Still not sure how I passed that semester.

No need to be bitter now....life's too short...particularly for you at this stage I suspect..

Bah! Typical bloody students. Monday afternoon and your all fecking around on the internet. Have you no homework to be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

Bah! Typical bloody students. Monday afternoon and your all fecking around on the internet. Have you no homework to be doing?

Bah! Typical nay-sayers, do you not have a job or anything to keep you busy, instead of feckin around on the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

College students and homework? What course did you do?
    And besides it our mid-term break, we are allowed to doss around online if we see fit!

Back OT, and not to feed the beast any more, I made 95%+ of lectures and tutorials in my undergrad, and since becoming a post grad and having to pay my money [not the tax payers as some here believe :rolleyes:] I make 99% of lectures. Why not 100%, well sometime you cannot account for unexpected events.

I've gone in to lectures with Green hair following Paddy's day, hungover following 21sts, and late cos I've slept in, but I still go.

Feck it like, its only ~15-21 hours a week that I've had in the past 5 years in UL, its not that difficult to attend!

I've only missed 2 tutorials so far as a first year due to ****-facedness. I feel like Im doing pretty well :).

Bah! Typical nay-sayers, do you not have a job or anything to keep you busy, instead of feckin around on the internet?

Oh I've a job alright. Just as well.....I've to support three of ye feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Flyer28, in case you hadn't noticed, this thread was started by a forum member wondering if people miss many lectures. Not a serious discussion on taxpayer investment. All you're doing is goading. This forum doesn't facilitate goading.

If you want to take part in a serious discussion on your views about wastage in the education system by its beneficiaries, I suggest the Politics or Humanities forum. Not here as I'll just regard it as trolling and take action on that basis.

As for the rest of you, replying in kind to goading is not an appealing solution. There's an old adage about not feeding a troll. Please keep that in mind.

/mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

In first semester I made most of my lectures and tutorials, except Academic Literacies wich used to make me cry inside. Ask fudge man from the Tuesday market - I would always go buy some choccie just before my AL tutorial and rant a bit, lol! ^^-

This semester I'm not doing so great, I've been rather sick and have missed a lot due to that. I've prioritised things that are more important to me, like getting involved in stuff. The past three weeks have just been zero attendance - but I have been doing constructive things with my time! And being a good year or so ahead in one of my modules frees up a lot of my time.

Basically its just made me realise being involved is far more important to me than getting amazing grades - which considering the hassle I gave myself over the Leaving Cert. is a good thing indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

I know for my course you could easily do well [very well in fact, I've a couple of mates on 1.1s that have been doing it] by just carefully picking and choosing the modules and tutorials you go to. you can further improve on this by basing all your study around exam papers and exam questions. Therefore it's easy to do maybe 7-8 hrs a week [and possibly zero hours for the first 3 weeks] and still come out with a 1.1 - I've seen it done. Of course this only works where your exams lie heavily towards 100% end of semester exams which in my course it does. cson has been happily adhering to the rule that there is no college on Mondays or Fridays and the odd time on Wednesday. :pac:

What I've said above there is the reason for the 'dumbing down' fiddle being played; imo students are getting smarter at what to study at the expense of overall learning of the course and grasping the fundamentals. But imo that's the systems fault not the students.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

2nd year Games student here. I attend most of the lectures/tutorials/labs available to me, with the exception of Networking. I cannot for the life of me take anything in and what good is it that the lecturer also teaches at the tutorials?? This year in particular features some modules where one TA has never seen the material before and therefore cannot teach it and another TA is so difficult to understand that it is more of a challenge to decipher what he is saying than the information he is giving out...

Overall, I'd say it's been about 90-70% attedance on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Nockz wrote: »
    exception of Networking. I cannot for the life of me take anything in and what good is it that the lecturer also teaches at the tutorials??

be careful, i know there's a new lecturer but that module had a 80% failure rate when i did it

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭bobo the clown

i have a friend that has gone to a total of of 65 hours in 3 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 tweety_bird

i try not to miss too many hours as I only have roughly 13-15 hrs a week.

A 9am lecture of 300 people on a wednesday morning is often hard to attend especially if its the only class of the day and it'll take me 2 hrs to get there in the first place!!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭johnnycnandy

I only attended about 15 lectures/tutorials in my 4 years there. There was no point in me going because I can't pay attention in a class. I'm better at just doing the work on my own terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

i try not to miss too many hours as I only have roughly 13-15 hrs a week.

A 9am lecture of 300 people on a wednesday morning is often hard to attend especially if its the only class of the day and it'll take me 2 hrs to get there in the first place!!

Where the feck are you living? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TroyKeenan

I've been to only 2 classes this semester. Im probably ****ed for the exams

• Advertisement

I went to the guest lecture for Academic Literacy the other day. There were only about 15 people in KBG12 lol.

Advertisement