Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artist / Craftspeople of Sligo

Options
  • 28-03-2010 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

I have heard it said that there are more artisans in the Northwest than anywhere else in the country. However you would not know it if you were new to the area. The local council and papers don't exactly shout about the massive amount of creative industry's here in Sligo. So I was thinking maybe we should start talking about it and raise awareness.

If you know of an artist or crafts-person in Sligo, post it on here and share it with others in the hope that we can help to pull a bit of the rescission gloom away from Sligo.

I'll start it off with Linda http://www.lyndagaultceramics.ie/ her pottery is very beautiful and much better than the mass-produced stuff you get in places like Dunnes, and you are putting money back into your community by buying from her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

theres a guy on wine street who does wood sculptures, if you go in he will apartently for a small fee/donation do an ingraving of a small picture for you on an off cut of wood as well, usally based on the conversation you have with him, ie, hobbies/interests/likes

no idea of his name, keep meaning to go in my self and look at some of his work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Michael Quirke is his name.

He is a gentleman. I have bought several pieces off him as wedding presents and gifts for friends and relations.

I am hoping people will soon start buying them for me. The smell of them is fantastic and they are beautiful to look at and a great conversation starter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 forgingfool

Yes Michael is great and really illustrates a point. His work is beautiful and he has so much local knowledge, Sligo would be so much the poorer if we did not have him there. That's two very good resins to support him by buying his work. My wife buys small pieces off him for extra birthday presents, kids love them, Michael puts their names on if you ask.

I have another one for you. Matt Jones in Riverstown. He is a wood turner (great bowls) and makes furniture as well. Really wonderful work and again he is just nice to chat to.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LadyDotty

Hi foragingfool

there are a couple of ways of getting in contact or getting to know local artists-

SLAM (Sligo Local Artists Movement) was setup last year in the run up to Culture Night, it's an ongoing movement and they use a number of empty spaces around town

Northwest Artists Group are another network

The Sligo Arts Service has a ton of resourceful information on everything from artists profiles to arts venues.

Hope this helps,

Ladydot

Thank LadyDotty,

I had a look at S.L.A.M. very interesting stuff thank you for letting me know about it.

The real idea for me starting this thread was to make people more aware of the people in our community actually creating things. In this way perhaps those creative people will have more interest in their work. Why don't you post details of someone up on here that you feel everyone should know about in Sligo?

• Advertisement

http://www.tiffanybudd.com the best jeweller in the Northwest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭FlameoftheWest

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Check this guy out - he makes amazing ceramic lamps and can personalise them for you too!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Sligo-Stoneware/195997372627?ref=ts

There is Kate Wilson out near Geevagh, she is one of the most talented painters in Ireland, but very few people know she is in County Sligo.

Advertisement