Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amateur MMA Show- May 23rd

• 28-03-2010 3:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Informed Performance MMA will be holding an amateur class MMA event on May 23rd at Informed Performance Gym in Glasnevin.

The rules will be explained at a later date however this show is intended for novices and those with limited experience and it will be essentially semi pro rules. It will be held in our competition boxing ring in the gym.

Fighters on this card will wear shinguards, MMA "sparring gloves" and headguards. We're currently talking to a few places about the headguard situation as this is what's been holding up this event. I'm satisfied we have a couple of solutions now which I'll be trialing over the next few weeks.

We have a broad base of gyms in the country now and I hope newer gyms see this as an extra opportunity, along with the MMA League, to get in and compete. Hopefully more experienced gyms might see this as a useful opportunity to blood newer fighters. All going well, we'll repeat this event and we will encourage other gyms to work with us to host additional events throughout the year.

All coaches interested should contact me on 085-8320174 or barry@informedperformance.com for more details. Also note my phone went kaput last week so I have no one's number, so if you're texting me let me know who it is :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Best of luck with this barry, i'll try get a few lads on the card for ya..

the more of these the better i say

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

That sounds good. Any teenage fights? I'll talk to Owen anyway and I'm sure he'll get in contact. Best of Luck Barry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭baz123

Great idea :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

That sounds good. Any teenage fights? I'll talk to Owen anyway and I'm sure he'll get in contact. Best of Luck Barry!
    Hopefully Karl. It would be ideal for teenagers with a bit of league or more striking experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Sounds good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

MMA with head guards would be very tricky. The feckers would be coming off all the time when u grapple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

If i had a euro for everytime i got a smack in the head, readjusted the head guard only to get a bigger smack i'd be a slightly richer man.

but this amateur mma thing looks like a very beneficial endeavour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Great stuff. Barry's intraclub had very few problems with the headguards - a little more work for the ref, but a tight fitting one stays fairly well in place.

Headguards actually don't interfere that much. We used some older full face ones we had lying about the gym for our comp and it was less hassle than you'd think. The ref just has to be on the lookout and calls headguard stop, fixes the equipment and then restarts. It was very simple.

At every amateur competition in combat sports there's some impedement from safety equipment. Boxers would prefer no headguards but they have to adapt, muay thai guys would prefer no bodyshields but they have to adapt, likewise if people want to have this intermediate level of competition for their novices instead of blooding them on major shows, then they too, will have to adapt. They already run similar rules to this in Poland and I've yet to see a headguard being a real difficulty in the matches I've been shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

If the head guards work thats great. We use them for striking sparring but I have found when we do MMA sparring they can be awkward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭weemate

I mentioned to Barry before,when we used to compete in england in jiu jitsu kumite [ later grapple and strike ] we used rugby head guards as they dont tend to shift and yet provide a degree of protection,they are smaller than the foam kick boxing guards and boxing guards.They seemed to work ok for what we used them for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Should have a few guys for you at this Barry. Though I like you less because its on a Sunday.

If the head guards work thats great. We use them for striking sparring but I have found when we do MMA sparring they can be awkward.
    Awkward, but far from prohibitive. As I said above, something's got to give when you put on equipment. After some trials we've gone with a good rubber headguard which offers maximum protection to the head and face without limiting vision and it's also the one that offers the least impediment to grappling.

Peter I tried the scrum caps too however after the concussion study done on rugby which concluded that they did absolutely nothing to reduce concussion risks, I chucked that! They would have been a placebo!

Mark I only put things on Sundays to anger God, who made my hair fall out after I angered him.

Already a good few clubs on board for this. Mail me if you have anyone. Should be an interesting event.

Hi all,

we're about 6 weeks out so starting to match people up for this. I'd appreciate it if any clubs who want to put fighters on this card got on to me asap as I expect this card to fill very quickly.

Cheers,

Barry

Is this running in your gym Barry? Will there be spectators other than coaches, other fighters and other associates there?

Yes to all of the above. There'll be a small spectator charge at the door.

Also I'm going to call the event Rape and Pillage 1- Hell Hole.

Would this be suitable for someone that has never done the MMA league or would it be more suited for someone that has done it as a stepping stone to C class on shows?

Would this be suitable for someone that has never done the MMA league or would it be more suited for someone that has done it as a stepping stone to C class on shows?
    I'll match by experience, so both.

This isn't a replacement for the league and it's not a level above the league. It's just something else with a different vibe to the league but I'd say both events have the same goal- to allow novice fighters to accrue experience before stepping up the ladder, or to allow those with no interest in appearing on a large show an opportunity to compete at some level.

• Advertisement

Also I'm going to call the event Rape and Pillage 1- Hell Hole.
    Please no :)

I'll match by experience, so both.

This isn't a replacement for the league and it's not a level above the league. It's just something else with a different vibe to the league but I'd say both events have the same goal- to allow novice fighters to accrue experience before stepping up the ladder, or to allow those with no interest in appearing on a large show an opportunity to compete at some level.

thanks, I think I get the idea now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

thanks, I think I get the idea now.
    You gonna compete kev?

Please no :)
    Nah I'm not it's actually called Manly Pursuit- The Quest for Valour.

You gonna compete kev?

have to see what my coaches think

Some matches made. Still looking for guys. Some of these fighters have one or two C class fights behind them but are being well matched up.

Kieran O'Donnell (Tuatha De Dannan, Portlaoise) vs. Przemek Mucha (IP MMA) 77kg
    Declan Phelan (Tuatha De Dannan, Portlaoise) vs.Glen Mulcahy (IP MMA) 70kg
    Conor Flynn (Tuatha De Dannan, Portlaoise) vs. Sean Conroy (Point Blank, Galway) 75kg.
    Ger Gleeson (IPMMA) vs. Gary Mannion (Point Blank, Galway) 80kg

Still looking for match ups for:
    Chachi Rizzo (16yrs) 60kg
    Stephen Moran (16yrs) 60kg
    Conor Hughes (16yrs) 70kg
    Amanda English 60kg
    Anesh Bugwandeen 70kg

Plus a load of guys from other gyms at all weights and levels of experience. I'll probably have the guts of the card sorted by next week so if you want in, get on to your coach..... NOW!

Barry, as Ollie is still "away" is it okay if his no relation Gary Mannion takes the fight instead?
    As in, you got my fighter's name wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

Barry, as Ollie is still "away" is it okay if his no relation Gary Mannion takes the fight instead?
    As in, you got my fighter's name wrong!

I was thinking Ollie Mannion wouldn't be back in training yet. I should make it up to watch this.

Oh. Eh, fixed now. That was awkward.

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Just a few quick notes. I'm getting a few mails from people so I thought I'd answer a few general queries.

1) All equipment will be provided. We provide the headguards, sparring gloves and shinpads. We would ask that people bring their own shinpads to use as they'll be the most difficult to change over.

2) This is not a tournament! It is a pre-matched fight card. As such, you must have your coach contact me for any application to get a match. I will not accept applications without a coach's recomendation.

3) Please ask your coach any questions and then have him/her forward them on to me. Unfortunately, I'm a bit too busy to answer emails from every fighter/interested fighter and these things are always best dealt with through your coach who will recieve a detailed rules and details pack by email this week.

Thanks,

Barry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

I think this is a great module for a fight event, much better than the d class rule set.. hope this becomes a regular barry, looking forward to seeing the fights:)

Advertisement