Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal -v- Barca, Champions league Q/Final 1st leg

• 28-03-2010 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

UEFA Champions League
    th_602-16.png34tai46.pngth_1708-15.png
    Emirates stadium
    Wednesday, 31 March 2010
    7:45pm

Comments

Should be a cracker. First leg is a must win for Arsenal if they want to stand a chance going to the Nou camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Iniesta's out for the 1st leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Whoop whoop. Putting 10 quid on Zlatan to score. He has come up with a goal in almost every important game this season, especially the difficult grinding 1-0 kinda games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

We have to win the first leg, will be rightly fooked it we dont

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Delighted this match isn't on the Tuesday, would be raging if I had to miss it. Tie of the round.

1-1 at the Emirates and 2-0 to Barca at the Nou Camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I would be quite amused if this was a dull 0-0. :D:D

JPA wrote: »
    I would be quite amused if this was a dull 0-0. :D:D

Wouldn't be surprised if it was 0-0 at all really. Barca Inter at the San Siro was that kind of a game.
    baz2009 wrote: »
    Delighted this match isn't on the Tuesday, would be raging if I had to miss it. Tie of the round.

1-1 at the Emirates and 2-0 to Barca at the Nou Camp.

1-1 is Barca's lucky away result these days, Stuttgart, Lyon, Chelsea, and Bayern away K.O legs have all ended 1-1 (that's every K.O game Barca have played under Pep in the CL). I'd be delighted with a 1-1 draw at the emirates.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if it was 0-0 at all really. Barca Inter at the San Siro was that kind of a game.

Lets pray we dont have a replay of that because that game was a major disappointment.

Made a round trip to Getafe to get the beer in for that and got pulled over for speeding in a rush back to make kick-off :(

redout wrote: »
    Lets pray we dont have a replay of that because that game was a major disappointment.

Made a round trip to Getafe to get the beer in for that and got pulled over for speeding in a rush back to make kick-off :(

You over in Madrid still man? I'd say Real are relishing the chances of smashing Atleti again tonight.

Anyway, what's Arsenal's likely team for Wednesday?

• Advertisement

You over in Madrid still man?

No, back home since December though suppose to be heading back over in April :)

Looking for a Forlan hat-trick tonight followed by a Kun brace :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I would imagine the Arsenal team will be something like:

Almunia
    Sagna - Sol - Vermaelen - Clichy
    Song - Diaby

Cesc
    Nasri --- Bendtner --- Arshavin

Athough Song could perhaps stay at CB instead of Sol, in which case Denilson would come into midfield. If Fabregas is injured than I'd like to see Nasri drop back to CM and Rosicky come into the front 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Gonna be a classic , lookin forward to it , think arsenal a great price to lift the trophy.

Barca team

Valdes

Alves
    Puyol
    Pique
    Maxwell

Toure

Keita
    Xavi

Messi
    Pedro

Ibra

Thats what I am hoping for :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

playa3 wrote: »
    I would imagine the Arsenal team will be something like:

Almunia
    Sagna - Sol - Vermaelen - Clichy
    Song - Diaby

Cesc
    Nasri --- Bendtner --- Arshavin

Athough Song could perhaps stay at CB instead of Sol, in which case Denilson would come into midfield. If Fabregas is injured than I'd like to see Nasri drop back to CM and Rosicky come into the front 3.

I'd say Wenger would be anxious to have Song's destructive abilities in centre field for this of all matches.

Campbell will be fine against Ibrahimovich.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Thierry to play and score an OG imo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

OPENROAD wrote: »

That would be savage

Barca dominate possession against everyone they play, almost no exceptions.
    What will happen against a team who play a similar game? Should be very interesting.

Barca dominate possession against everyone they play, almost no exceptions.
    What will happen against a team who play a similar game? Should be very interesting.

I'd be willing to bet they'll have over 60% of the possession even at the Emirates. I don't recall any team in the past 6 years out possession us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I'd be willing to bet they'll have over 60% of the possession even at the Emirates. I don't recall any team in the past 6 years out possession us.

I dunno, we'll see. In Paris ye had 64% possession playing against 10 men for 72mins! Different teams now so, it's hard to say but, I think it'll be closer than that!

• Advertisement

I would be surprised if Barca dont have the majority of possession.

I read somewhere today that Barca avg I think 46mins a game whereas the Gunners avg 35mins.

I would be surprised if Barca dont have the majority of possession.

I read somewhere today that Barca avg I think 46mins a game whereas the Gunners avg 35mins.

I don't know how that's calculated but, we couldn't be anywhere near that low! Even in games we've lost against United and Chelsea this season, we've had more possession in three of those games and the other was 51%-49% away to United.

There's only one stat that matters over the two legs anyway

jasonorr wrote: »
    I don't know how that's calculated but, we couldn't be anywhere near that low! Even in games we've lost against United and Chelsea this season, we've had more possession in three of those games and the other was 51%-49% away to United.

The reason that Arsenal tend to create so much is, of course, that they tend to monopolise the ball – Barcelona, however, are the one team in the competition who circulate the ball better than Arsenal, averaging an astonishing 48 minutes of possession per game, far more than Arsenal, who are next best with 35 minutes. It is easy to see why the Catalans have the best defensive record in the tournament: opponents rarely get a touch.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/27/arsene-wenger-barcelona-lionel-messi

I'm just saying, have a look and tell me how it can be that low!

EDIT: Crap, mins not % possession. That's fair enough!

You do realise teams don't hold onto possession for 90 minutes? The ball is in play far far less then the actual alotted game length. 35 minutes translates to loads more than 39% possession.

EDIT - you know this. my bad.
    I dunno, we'll see. In Paris ye had 64% possession playing against 10 men for 72mins! Different teams now so, it's hard to say but, I think it'll be closer than that!

We'll see, but I'll gladly bet you a ten spot that Barca will have better possession both away and at home.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

I'm not looking forward to this at all, this could be brutal. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I was thinking earlier, (dangerous I know) and I reckoned we should play Eboue at the expense of either Nasri or Arshavin.

If clichy has a great game he could possibly handle Messi, but the you have to deal with Alves bombing on.

So playing Eboue at LW means there is a defender there to track Alves, plus Eboue likes getting forward too. If Arshavin is in front of Clichy then Messi+Alves will rip us apart.

OPENROAD wrote: »

With his hand! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Frisbee wrote: »
    I was thinking earlier, (dangerous I know) and I reckoned we should play Eboue at the expense of either Nasri or Arshavin.

If clichy has a great game he could possibly handle Messi, but the you have to deal with Alves bombing on.

So playing Eboue at LW means there is a defender there to track Alves, plus Eboue likes getting forward too. If Arshavin is in front of Clichy then Messi+Alves will rip us apart.

Reckon we can't really contain them so just should go at them instead and give everyone the match of the year.

TBH I'd rather see Walcott start than Eboue. Alves will leave loads of space and IMO, trying to exploit that is the right way to go instead of trying to stifle Barca.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

gosplan wrote: »
    Reckon we can't really contain them so just should go at them instead and give everyone the match of the year.

TBH I'd rather see Walcott start than Eboue. Alves will leave loads of space and IMO, trying to exploit that is the right way to go instead of trying to stifle Barca.

I really hope Walcott doesn't start. Nasri and Arshavin for the wings would be my guess. Maybe even trade them over so Nasri go LW and Arshavin go RW as Nasri is more willing to do the dirty work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Frisbee wrote: »
    I really hope Walcott doesn't start. Nasri and Arshavin for the wings would be my guess. Maybe even trade them over so Nasri go LW and Arshavin go RW as Nasri is more willing to do the dirty work.

No doubt there. Just saying that i rather see Walcott than Eboue introduced instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

gosplan wrote: »
    No doubt there. Just saying that i rather see Walcott than Eboue introduced instead.

I'd like to see Eboue in goal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Looking forward to some serious games during the week. If I could only watch one it would be Ars V Barca , it has the makings of a classic. Two teams that on their day play some sublime football. The players on view have alot to live up to, as we all eagerly await a cracker, I hope it does not dissappoint. I hope Ars score early and keep the pressure on, this might force Barca not to think 'we'll wait to get ye at home'. A 2-1 home victory would set up another potential cracker on the Camp Nou.
    I hope Ars actually believe they can do it, because if anyone can I think they can.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I seriously hope we get a good game of football in this game, thats all

Cause i know i more then likely wont be able to relax and enjoy the Man United game! so i want some enjoyment during the week, without stress

• Advertisement

Messi can't be stopped with the ball. Of course he's not going to score or assist every time but the more he gets the ball the bigger the danger of him doing damage. Therefore Arsenal need to stop him getting the ball or at least minimize the amount he gets it.
    If Song can stick to Xavi and actually do a a good marking job on him Arsenal have a chance to contain Messi.
    Of course it's easier said then done and it also ignores Barcas other excellent players.

Compared to Almunia even this lad below would do

worzel.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

We really need a big game from Arshavin, he needs to step up to the mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Messi can't be stopped with the ball. Of course he's not going to score or assist every time but the more he gets the ball the bigger the danger of him doing damage. Therefore Arsenal need to stop him getting the ball or at least minimize the amount he gets it.
    If Song can stick to Xavi and actually do a a good marking job on him Arsenal have a chance to contain Messi.
    Of course it's easier said then done and it also ignores Barcas other excellent players.

the thing to do ideally is to try use Messi and Alves strengths against them i guess

they are so good at going forward so i would focus plenty of attacks down that side to at least try keep Alves occupied because he really does help Messi hugely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Compared to Almunia even this lad below would do

worzel.jpg

I agree.So best tactic is:Start Silvestre and Eboue.Silvestre put Messi into row 22 at about 8 minutes and get sent off.Sub Almunia for Song,Eboue in goal.8 nil Arsenal....I suspect none of that will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

That possession stat seems rather odd to me; the ball only tends to be in play for 50-55 minutes in every football match.

That possession stat seems rather odd to me; the ball only tends to be in play for 50-55 minutes in every football match.

I thought it was closer to 70mins myself!

Pretty sure them stats are only based on this seasons Champions league games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Just bought a HD satellite kit, this should be on ITV HD so will be my first HD match! Can't wait!!!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,832 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A win at home is a must for the Gunners imo it should be a cracking game

Ush1 wrote: »
    Just bought a HD satellite kit, this should be on ITV HD so will be my first HD match! Can't wait!!!:pac:

You will be blown away.

The difference between HD/SD for football is huge.

Just make sure you setup your tv correctly as many have failed to do this and though they were watching HD and were disappointend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

The amount of euphoria i've been up and down with over potentially going to this match then to not going to then maybe going.

I'm now locking my sitting room, the family is going to the hall and i'm going to enjoy it for what it will be. A Footballing master class

I'll just look forward till the 24th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

You will be blown away.

The difference between HD/SD for football is huge.

Just make sure you setup your tv correctly as many have failed to do this and though they were watching HD and were disappointend.

Yeah it's an FTA box so I think I have to manually tune ITV HD.
    Messi in HD, nice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I don't know if Busquets will be suspended/injured..but I seriously hope Toure plays instead of him. Much happier with him there than Busquets

Fabregas who has severe bruising to his knee will be given tomorrows final training session to prove his fitness for wednesday nights game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement