Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal -v- Barca, Champions league Q/Final 1st leg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

2 - 0 is a dangerous lead :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I have to take back earlier remarks, Arsenal showed great fight and a lot of bottle just to keep going after the early battering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Walcott made all the difference.
    Had to be a penalty, and unfortunately under the rules, a red card.

Little annoying at the end, Fabregas should've come off, there were a coupla times that the ball was given to him that if someone else had got it there would've been a chance.

Still, not the worst results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

gimmick wrote: »
    Arsenal can thank the ref for giving them a lifeline. That is all.

Bull**** imo. We're now missing our best player in the second leg because of a tackle where the ball was won. Both were harsh but the technically correct decisions.

The ref was really petty tonight, giving the slightest of fouls but it went both ways (arguably actually played to Barca's favour in a way because they were the ones on the ball more often). Harsh, not necessarily in the spirit of the game but technically correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Game Over. Arsenal taught many a lesson tonight. Without Fabregas in the Nou Camp they will be destryoed. 2 away goals and arsenal fans are thinking this is a good result? tut tut..

This is a good result against the best team in Europe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

efb wrote: »

Considering we were absolutely battered... 2-2 is a fantastic result. But, going to be really really tough at the Nou Camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Soby wrote: »
    Borderline a peno.Fabs dive and no one can say it wasnt one helped..Overall an amazing game..And do Alves ever stop fecking running..mans a machine

Wasn't a pen for me but, never a dive!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Good match, Good result at least it gives Arsenal something to play for in the
    2nd Leg.
    No Puyol - No Fabregas makes for an interesting match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Billo - "Arshavin gives me a pain"

Legend:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Walcotts got a neck like Mike Tyson.Wee man is all growed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

okidoki987 wrote: »
    No Puyol - No Fabregas makes for an interesting match.

No Pique either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Busquets ran out of gas and should've been taken off around the 60 minute mark. He gave the ball away for the first goal and was a passenger for the rest of the game. How Guardiola left him on for the full 90 is absolutely mind-boggling and cost Barça the game imo.

Henry should've been brought on for Pedro, not Ibra and he was muck anyway when he came on. Maxwell was destroyed by Walcott aswell but had absolutely no help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

how is ronnie whelan getting away with it?, hasnt a bulb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Good fight back from Arsenal.

Although still think Barca will destroy them at the Nou Camp even without Pique and Puyol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

lol at people saying that should have been a peno or was technically a peno?! Wat the **** are ya smoking!! Never a peno in a million years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

excuse my ignorance now but when is the 2nd tie and am I right in thinking Arsenal need 2 away goals at the nou camp ?

BERBA wrote: »
    how is ronnie whelan getting away with it?, hasnt a bulb

RTE recieve a government grant for employing him.

Frisbee wrote: »
    No Pique either

I'm hopeful now...even though we had 3 injuries tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Headshot wrote: »
    excuse my ignorance now but when is the 2nd tie and am I right in thinking Arsenal need 2 away goals at the nou camp ?

Tuesday and no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

If they win one nil they're through?:confused:

Next Tuesday.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    lol at people saying that should have been a peno or was technically a peno?! Wat the **** are ya smoking!! Never a peno in a million years.

Starfish = Penalty.....you know that Alan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

1 - 0

and they qualify

No Arsenal need to win the match by at least 1 clear goal to win, unless the draw is 3-3 or greater in the second leg.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    RTE recieve a government grant for employing him.

George hanilton was annoying also, will be avoiding him for the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Second leg is on Tuesday.

Nope, if we win we're through.

1-0 will do. Not gonna happen though.

No. One nil will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Really entertaining game. Fair play to Arsenal for showing some back bone and getting themselves back into it. No way was the a penalty, I haven't looked back through the thread but I assume all Arsenal fans are calling it a peno and all non Arsenal fans aren't. Puyol will appeal that red card and be starting in the second leg and rightfully so. Hope Fabregas is okay, he seems to have been struggling for the last few games. I think the season is taking its toll on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Was never a peno. The red card will be overturned. No doubt. I'd wager Puyol will be back for the 2nd leg.

Barca should have been 3-0 at half time. Valdes should have saved Walcotts shot aswell, it was very tame.

Fair played to Arsenal for the comeback, but they got very lucky.

A 1-0 wil do them ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

bloody hell ye're all thanks whores :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Next tuesday I think. Arsenal win or draw 3-3 they go through

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

patrickc wrote: »
    in fairness he wasn't 100% tonight, so they can play without him
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    Yes considering we were 2-0 down, it gives us hope, can't you not see that???????
    Frisbee wrote: »
    If you had offered me 2-2 at HT I would have snapped at it as it was only a matter of time before Barca grabbed a few
    efb wrote: »

Good comeback, if liucky for the most part. But was more of an indictment on Wenger's squad over the last few years. He couldn't get a grip with what was going on. There's always next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Yeah headshot they need 2 goals! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Ah you have to love Bill. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

jasonorr wrote: »
    Wasn't a pen for me but, never a dive!?!

Ah now come on :P..He jumped a mile in the air before he went down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

The Messi one in the first half was a stonewaller. Ref was shocking.

Sútalún wrote: »
    Ah you have to love Bill. :D

sky + it, are they talking about the Arsenal match? thought they would be talking about the utd match from last night :p:p

magma69 wrote: »
    Really entertaining game. Fair play to Arsenal for showing some back bone and getting themselves back into it. No way was the a penalty, I haven't looked back through the thread but I assume all Arsenal fans are calling it a peno and all non Arsenal fans aren't. Puyol will appeal that red card and be starting in the second leg and rightfully so. Hope Fabregas is okay, he seems to have been struggling for the last few games. I think the season is taking its toll on him.

You assume wrong! Not a red or a pen but, the ref gave a lot of soft frees against us so it all evens out :p:D

I don't think Puyol will play in the second leg though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Are we being too hard on Ronnie. Some of what he says makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

magma69 wrote: »
    Kirby wrote: »
    Was never a peno. The red card will be overturned. No doubt. I'd wager Puyol will be back for the 2nd leg.

Barca should have been 3-0 at half time. Valdes should have saved Walcotts shot aswell, it was very tame.

He'll appeal it but it wont be overturned. See Fletcher v UEFA [2009]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Kirby wrote: »

I'd be surprised tbh, considering Fletcher's wasn't last year for the final...

Who is interviewing Wenger on ITV?Dozy cock asked him if he was gonna take Fab off before the penalty.Needed Wenger to tell him he couldn't take him off because he had no more subs........Bell End.

Unless he said "My name's Ronnie Whelan" when I wasn't looking, I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

It was a Red Card, every single Barca and La Liga fan knows Puyol is incredibly sneaky he planted his leg and knew what he was doing, on ITV Edgar Davids said Puyol knew what he was doing aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Who is interviewing Wenger on ITV?Dozy cock asked him if he was gonna take Fab off before the penalty.Needed Wenger to tell him he couldn't take him off because he had no more subs........Bell End.

He could have still taken him off :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

An Citeog wrote: »
    He'll appeal it but it wont be overturned. See Fletcher v UEFA [2009]

You can't appeal Uefa decision's anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I think hes a dope to be honest, he always strikes me as wanting to say what Eamon or John will agree with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger: "We looked nervous to begin with. We gave the ball away too quickly, but in fairness they kept going and they missed chances and we did. The regret I have - and I don't deny we played against a great side - but we gave two cheap goals away. It is beyond understanding."

Deserves all the stick for his dresss sense alone imo :)

peabutler wrote: »
    Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger: "We looked nervous to begin with. We gave the ball away too quickly, but in fairness they kept going and they missed chances and we did. The regret I have - and I don't deny we played against a great side - but we gave two cheap goals away. It is beyond understanding."

Very true

• Advertisement
Advertisement