Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal -v- Barca, Champions league Q/Final 1st leg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

be a joke if the card was over turned after fletchers wasnt last year

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

OPENROAD wrote: »
    sky + it, are they talking about the Arsenal match? thought they would be talking about the utd match from last night :p:p

Nah they talked about it in their pre-match warm up. Ah they just go around in circles and circles and circles. Bill is immense at seeming so innocent and winding the rest up. Met his once, looks about 20 years older in real life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Deserves all the stick for his dresss sense alone imo :)
    Or the Dublin Liverpool Accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Pep should tear strips out of them tbh

Should have been out of sight by half-time

Puyol didnt deserve a red, hope thats appealed

Arsenal came into it more and more

If they can play like they did second half then they have a chance

Marquez and Milito doesnt instill confidence

I want Yaya in the return leg please - better at breaking up the play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

SantryRed wrote: »
    He could have still taken him off :rolleyes:

Roll your eyes all ya want.The interviewer asked a dumb question and you gave a similar response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

being too harsh on ronnie?! the expression 'even a stopped clock is right twice a day' springs to mind. the man is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Sútalún wrote: »
    Nah they talked about it in their pre-match warm up. Ah they just go around in circles and circles and circles. Bill is immense at seeming so innocent and winding the rest up. Met his once, looks about 20 years older in real life!

I love Bill :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

so do people still think barca have a good defence and goal keeper ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Headshot wrote: »
    so do people still think barca have a good defence and goal keeper ?

Yes.

Valdes made a mistake for the first one. Every goalkeeper makes mistakes.

For the second one we scored from a moment of brilliance from Bendtner taking Pique out of it and then we were awarded a peno that shouldn't have been

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Mr Alan wrote: »
    being too harsh on ronnie?! the expression 'even a stopped clock is right twice a day' springs to mind. the man is a joke.

But that's a legendary quote!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I must be the only one with the Ref on the penalty,

Fabregas was opening up to try and voley the ball, thats what had him in a position to go down, in the replay you can clearly see Puyol caught him, in fact Fabregas' leg was between Puyol's, Fabregas goes down.

How is that not a penalty?

and with the laws of the game a red card must be show.

Whether Fabregas was going to get the ball, or whether Puyol meant it, does not matter in the slightest.

Just imagine if it was Whelan and Cunningham on same show. Terrific chemistry going on between the two :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Fantastic match. I loved every minute of it.

Am I the only person in the world who thinks that it probably was a penalty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

It was a stonewall peno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

yerayeah wrote: »
    I'd be surprised tbh, considering Fletcher's wasn't last year for the final...

yeah you're not allowed appeal cards in the champions league.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Yes.

Valdes made a mistake for the first one. Every goalkeeper makes mistakes.

For the second one we scored from a moment of brilliance from Bendtner taking Pique out of it and then we were awarded a peno that shouldn't have been

jebus frisbee you have a serious crush on barca, defending ibra and now this, for shame man :p

I think their defence is well dodgy and the crap about best defence in league and europe is because they keep the ball, once you actually drive at their defence its a different story altogether

Valdes seems to always have a **** up once in a while.

I hate the crap about pique being a WC defender too, good defender but not WC at all

Fantastic match. I loved every minute of it.

Am I the only person in the world who thinks that it probably was a penalty?
    As giles commented what exactly was puyol supposed to do there. Penalty was very harsh

Archimedes wrote: »
    It was a stonewall peno.

That's what I thought. I can see the argument that it wasn't if Puyol was standing there and Fabregas backed into him. But the fact is that Puyol ran into Fabregas.

Peno for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Roll your eyes all ya want.The interviewer asked a dumb question and you gave a similar response.

How is it a dumb question? He didn't say sub him off. He said take him off. He clearly could have still taken him off. So.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

As giles commented what exactly was puyol supposed to do there. Penalty was very harsh

But Puyol ran into Fabregas. It may have been as Fabregas's was shooting and his leg was extended in anticipation for the shot but the fact remains that he ran into him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

defending Ibra? Didn't he get a brace tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Just imagine if it was Whelan and Cunningham on same show. Terrific chemistry going on between the two :D

dont forget matty holland as well , what a threesome !

jebus frisbee you have a serious crush on barca, defending ibra and now this, for shame man :p

I think their defence is well dodgy and the crap about best defence in league and europe is because they keep the ball, once you actually drive at their defence its a different story altogether

Valdes seems to always have a **** up once in a while.

I hate the crap about pique being a WC defender too, good defender but not WC at all

Pique is, or at least will be a WC defender imo. He's not referred to as Piquenbaeur for nothing... :pac:

Also no man crush on Ibra really (Vela is my man) but people who often don't even see him play (not talking about you hear headshot, just in general) bash him because he's a 'big game bottler' and doesn't score enough. He's about so much more than that imo.

defending Ibra? Didn't he get a brace tonight?

bound to score after all the misses

give me eto'o any day of the week
    Pique is, or at least will be a WC defender imo. He's not referred to as Piquenbaeur for nothing... :pac:

Also no man crush on Ibra really (Vela is my man) but people who often don't even see him play (not talking about you hear headshot, just in general) bash him because he's a 'big game bottler' and doesn't score enough. He's about so much more than that imo.
    I watch ibra but im sorry he just doesnt do it for me, like flah said you either hate or love the guy

I dont understand the love but I dont understand alot of things :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Walcott sounds like Peter Crouch..Ya know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It appears Walcott took some time off from filming the new season of Skins to to his Usain bolt impression. Barca seemed shook by that, maybe because of how it lifted the Arsenal support.
    Quote from BBC website live text updates at half time along the lines of "Can't we just save the rest of the teams in the Champs league the games and give Barca the trophy now?"
    Hehehe.

But Puyol ran into Fabregas. It may have been as Fabregas's was shooting and his leg was extended in anticipation for the shot but the fact remains that he ran into him.

Puyol seemed fairly stationary to me. Dont see the intent there. Very hard to prove he meant to obstruct Cesc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hmmmm, so what do you say about that match..

Barca are a different class when in possession but the best defense, irrespective on their goal conceeded stats, in Europe they most certainly are not.

Arsenal still lacking that extra bit of guile that you need when facing opposition that actually know how to play football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

SantryRed wrote: »
    How is it a dumb question? He didn't say sub him off. He said take him off. He clearly could have still taken him off. So.... :rolleyes:

You are correct, and your foresight in rolling your eyes is exquisite.At least 40% of the time you'll see things the way everyone else does.

Puyol seemed fairly stationary to me. Dont see the intent there. Very hard to prove he meant to obstruct Cesc.

Stationary?

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/5222123/

He runs about 4-5 steps to get to Fab and fouls him. It was a penalty, a very obvious and very definite penalty.

• Advertisement

But he wasn't stationary at all! When Bendtner heads the ball Puyol is a yard away from Fabregas and as the ball is in the air and Fab is starting to shoot he runs straight into him. He put's his hands up as if he is doing nothing wrong but he still barges into Fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Really really enjoyable game. Loads of skill on display and ultimately a suprising result.

I have to agree with what Giles was saying about Arsenal's lack of character/belief. It suprises me tbh - previously I've always argued against this theory and been of the belief that it's only their dodgy keeper and troubled defence that holds them back. But Johnie's observation that they only had the courage to start expressing themselves when the tie looked to be over, and the pressure was off, is very insightful imo.

Still, at 2-2 you can't rule anything out for the second leg. I just hope the next match is as enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Great game. Interesting stats here, I wonder how much of Cesc's metres were from him hobbling around the pitch :D

25k6b80.jpg

I watch ibra but im sorry he just doesnt do it for me, like flah said you either hate or love the guy

I dont understand the love but I dont understand alot of things :pac:

I neither love nor hate him, but I respect his abilities.

Yes Barca score less goals with him, but his role and ability in build up play is better than Eto'o ever was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

His play in general wasn't great tonight. He stuck away the two chances well, but they were straightforward enough for a top class striker. He also missed a few others.

He just doesn't seem the right fit for Barca to me, Eto's mobility suited their style of play far better

A team ad club of this calibre deserves a Torres or Villa up front IMO. With either of those up front they'd be disgustingly good.

Stationary me bollix.

20svwc0.png

flahavaj wrote: »

A team ad club of this calibre deserves a Torres or Villa up front IMO. With either of those up front they'd be disgustingly good.

I Pool can't pick things up next season imo Barca will have Torres for the season after. And they'll be unstoppable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Torress is a class act but he is constantly crocked.

Just Emailed into Talksport and Spoony read it out exactly as I read it myself. FU Collymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Stationary me bollix.

20svwc0.png

Yup. He goes towards Fabregas, doesn't actually challenge for the ball but does get his body in the way of a shot 3 yards out. Penalty and red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

That game was so good, I said I'd watch two girls and a cup.

I regret nothing.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    Yup. He goes towards Fabregas, doesn't actually challenge for the ball but does get his body in the way of a shot 3 yards out. Penalty and red.

Exactly. That stationary comment is utter bollix. He's the least stationary player in the box ffs. He's travelled around 7-8 yard from the time Bendtner heads it to the time Fabregas is fouled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

deadtiger wrote: »
    Turning the TV off. I have had enough!

Well that teaches me for throwing all my toys out of the pram!!

Can't believe Barca didn't bury us!

efb wrote: »

I regret nothing.

Google and choose I'm Feeling Lucky 'thats not sexy', then you'll have problems

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

efb wrote: »

I regret nothing.

I needed to hold my cheeks for the whole second half. Was not leaving my seat/TV! Even watched Bill and Co after for a while before I finally ventured to the toilet. The toilet will never be the same again.. I regret nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

I neither love nor hate him, but I respect his abilities.

Yes Barca score less goals with him, but his role and ability in build up play is better than Eto'o ever was.
    Ibra is a rich man's version of Bendtner in my opinion. Absolutely crazy decision, £40 million plus a far superior striker in Eto'o? FFS what a deal for Inter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

another beauty getting away with it , good ol Rico commentating on the inter game , rte giving out jobs for fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I must be the only one with the Ref on the penalty,

Not surprising considering that a lot of people on here were saying Vermaelen gave away a legitimate penalty a few weeks ago. I wonder how many of those are saying Puyol was dismissed unfairly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Jigga wrote: »
    Ibra is a rich man's version of Bendtner in my opinion. Absolutely crazy decision, £40 million plus a far superior striker in Eto'o? FFS what a deal for Inter!

Barca have been mugs in the transfer market for years.

Imagine what Rafa will get for Torres if he goes, given his good record in getting big money for players and Barca's record of paying over the odds.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Jigga wrote: »

slap yourself in the face

really hard

• Advertisement

Exactly. That stationary comment is utter bollix. He's the least stationary player in the box ffs. He's travelled around 7-8 yard from the time Bendtner heads it to the time Fabregas is fouled.

Yeah exactly. I completely agree. I just can't see how the ref couldn't give a penalty.

Do most people agree or is there something I'm missing?

Advertisement