Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal -v- Barca, Champions league Q/Final 1st leg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

mayordenis wrote: »
    That's stupid Kryo, every appeal has to be looked at on it's own, that shouldn't of been a red card, and if it's appealed it should and will be overturned.

Now I can't fully remember the Fletcher one, was it a straight red?

If I remember correctly, the reason Fletcher's couldn't be overturned was because it can only be appealed in the case of mistaken identity, which doesn't apply here. Plus it was a correct decision anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Jigga wrote: »
    No it wasn't but at least it gave ye an excuse when Barca raped United in the final

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1177749/Graham-Poll-Forget-final-emotion-ref-Rosetti-spot-red.html

how was it not an injustice?

Darren Fletcher made a legitimate tackle, won the ball and got a straight red card given against him

then after being vindicated by video evidence and a petition to UEFA to do the right thing, the ban gets upheld

how do you define justice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Jigga wrote: »
    No it wasn't but at least it gave ye an excuse when Barca raped United in the final

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1177749/Graham-Poll-Forget-final-emotion-ref-Rosetti-spot-red.html

Firstly, I'm an Arsenal fan hence no need to use 'ye'.

Secondly; quoting the Daily Mail and worse again Graham Poll as a definitive answer as to whether it was justified? FAIL. ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

If I remember correctly, the reason Fletcher's couldn't be overturned was because it can only be appealed in the case of mistaken identity, which doesn't apply here. Plus it was a correct decision anyway.

If the rule is that then I of course wouldn't expect it to be rescinded, I thought the rule was the same that any straight red could be appealed, whereas a yellow could not.

So what are we calling this foul, getting too close to the other player?

Say a prayer for the game that is football everyone, you're no longer allowed in other players personal space. Some sort of new Hoola Hoop apparel will be showcased next season, touch the Hoola Hoop and it's a foul.

id be inclined to agree with you that it was a harsh peno, but i understand why the ref gave it also

dunno what else Puyol was supposed to do, in the words of Johnny Giles, its not like Puyol is supposed to sprint off in the opposite direction of the ball

he tried to get back, there was a coming together, seen them go both ways tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Oliver Kay:

"Word coming back from dressing-room that Fabregas is in a bad way. Unclear what the injury is, but sounds like it could be weeks not days"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Oliver Kay:

"Word coming back from dressing-room that Fabregas is in a bad way. Unclear what the injury is, but sounds like it could be weeks not days"

Bollox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

So what are we calling this foul, getting too close to the other player?

No we're calling it not being anywhere near the player and sprinting into that position in a succesful effort to impede the player. You're talking like Puyol was right beside Fabregas and standing perfectly still only for Fabregas to somehow trap his own leg between Puyol's stationery legs.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Oliver Kay:

further underlining why it was foolish to stay on the pitch for the last few minutes

if he is out for a few games because he played on when he was obviously injured he has dealt Arsenal a major blow to all competitions

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    id be inclined to agree with you that it was a harsh peno, but i understand why the ref gave it also

dunno what else Puyol was supposed to do, in the words of Johnny Giles, its not like Puyol is supposed to sprint off in the opposite direction of the ball

he tried to get back, there was a coming together, seen them go both ways tbh

I 100% agree on that Kryo, I can completely see why it was given, I just don't agree with the decision. Also from the ref's Point of view it probably looked worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Yes.:rolleyes:
    Good work simplifying my post into a sentence you can understand.

If they win next week they have a better chance of winning the CL than the premiership, him staying on helped that. He must have known he could play through the pain without making it worse. It's a question of weighing up the rewards of him potentially being in a position to score a winning goal, over the risk of missing the game at the weekend, which mighn't even matter anymore.

You don't know this for sure though and its certainly not a good enough reason to laud his maturity, when immaturity and a rash decision, based on adrenalin in the heat of the moment is just as plausible an explanation for his playing on. He was so f*cked I seriously doubt his ability to score or affect play in a meaningful way, he was in very bad shape. He could barely walk. The right decision for Arsenal's season was to come off and not jeopardise him missing even more matches or wrose the entire season.

Edit: He;s out for weeks, possible a break. He was anything but mature to stay on in that case. /argument.

No we're calling it not being anywhere near the player and sprinting into that position in a succesful effort to impede the player. You're talking like Puyol was right beside Fabregas and standing perfectly still only for Fabregas to somehow trap his own leg between Puyol's stationery legs.

Defenders are supposed to make an effort to get back and make challenges, there is no problem with busting a gut to get back to stop a goal.

If he made a desperate lunge or even a push after getting back then fair enough go with a penalty, but just for getting back and into Fabregas' personal space? No, not for me anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

fab is worried that he has broken something

source ssn

I hope he's going to be ok.

Would the penalty incident have been a free kick if it occured in the middle of the park? I think it would. Puyol is unlucky in that he was deemed the last man so technically the ref was correct if he deemed it a foul. There's no point saying it was a penalty but the red was harsh [not directed at anyone btw] one is a consequence of the other and very often you see refs bottle that decision. A harsh but correct outcome even if that may sound a tad contradicting [harsh in the sense that it was a basic foul that would have been a simple free kick anywhere else in the park]

Headshot wrote: »

source ssn

Shouldn't of kicked Puyol so hard.

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    Would the penalty incident have been a free kick if it occured in the middle of the park? I think it would. Puyol is unlucky in that he was deemed the last man so technically the ref was correct if he deemed it a foul. There's no point saying it was a penalty but the red was harsh [not directed at anyone btw] one is a consequence of the other and very often you see refs bottle that decision. A harsh but correct outcome even if that may sound a tad contradicting [harsh in the sense that it was a basic foul that would have been a simple free kick anywhere else in the park]

I just going on my opinion not trying to be argumentative but my point is that it wasn't a foul, if it's given as a foul there I completely agree it must be a red, I still just don't believe a foul was commited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

It was a straight red card tho for puyol wasn't it I can see them looking for it to be rescinded and I can see it being rescinded after all at no point was Fabergas "in Control of the ball" or at least I can see this being argued.

Defenders are supposed to make an effort to get back and make challenges, there is no problem with busting a gut to get back to stop a goal.

If he made a desperate lunge or even a push after getting back then fair enough go with a penalty, but just for getting back and into Fabregas' personal space? No, not for me anyways.

But Fabregas' leg is already up in the air and behind him and Puyol runs into him. So it is not like he ran directly behind Fab and the player then moved his leg back. If a player has his foot of the ground ready to take a shot he should be able to take that shot without someone running into that foot and stopping him moving his leg forward to take the shot.

I could see what you mean if Fabregas had both feet on the ground and Puyol ran behind him and then Fab went to take the shot as that would be fabregas moving his body into Puyol but it was the other way around.

The thing I look at is did Puyol get anything of the ball and I don't think he did; he stopped Fabregas getting a strike on the ball which is a foul - if it wasn't then defenders could in theory just attack the opposing player irregardless of whether they got the ball.

its all well and good to say Fab had his foot up ready to attempt a shot, but it isnt like he had control of the ball even, looked to me, and ill have to check it again to confirm, that he is actually going to miss the ball

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    Would the penalty incident have been a free kick if it occured in the middle of the park?

Also if the player came from the side and Fabregas had his foot in front of his body, very few ppl would argue that it was a penalty. And it is the same rule except Fabregas' foot happens to be behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I see it so often, a player is going to kick the ball and the other player positions himself so that the player kicks him rather than the ball. It's usually a free kick to the player getting kicked.

What is this standing still bullshít? Why should any defender be standing still?

its all well and good to say Fab had his foot up ready to attempt a shot, but it isnt like he had control of the ball even, looked to me, and ill have to check it again to confirm, that he is actually going to miss the ball

It is a goal scoring opportunity though. The key word being opportunity. And because Puyol impeded the forward movement of the leg it means the ref can have no idea whether Fabregas would have made the shot. All he can be sure of was that it was a goal scoring opportunity and Puyol impeded it.

I've seen it lots of times now. The ball is not only beyond him, it's beyond Puyol. I guess what Puyol should've, and could've done, is knocked the ball wide, but i guess he felt he had done enough simply by positioning himself there.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    What is this standing still bullshít? Why should any defender be standing still?

That was in reference to another posters comment.

Headshot wrote: »

source ssn

I wonder what he could have broken though?

He seemed to be favouring his knee...

he was holing around his shin if im not mistaken

according to fab he thinks its the FIBULA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I dont mean to be rude, but Arsenal weer lucky. They created the odd 1 or 2 chances, but the game should of been dead and buried at 2-0. Referee gave them a life line with that penalty. It was harsh. Puyol couldn't just run away from the ball, it was just a accidently collision.

With Pique missing the replay due to the yellow. Puyol missing the replay due to the red. Barca already have a weak defence, so this could be trouble.

Iniesta hopefully back.

Any word on Arshavin if he be able to play? Fabregas out. Another play out for Arsenal can't remember who though, possibly Eboué. So alot of main players out.

No doubt it's going to be a interesting 2nd leg.

Can't see Arsenal scoring at the Nou Camp though

Frisbee wrote: »
    I wonder what he could have broken though?

He seemed to be favouring his knee...

Watching ITV highlights, Wenger said he was kicked in his knee. The interviewer said, "before he took the penalty", Wenger said, "no, while taking the penalty". Makes no sense.

• Advertisement

Watching ITV highlights, Wenger said he was kicked in his knee. The interviewer said, "before he took the penalty", Wenger said, "no, while taking the penalty". Makes no sense.

+1 Wenger for being a tool

Wenger can be like that though

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

I dont mean to be rude, but Arsenal weer lucky. They created the odd 1 or 2 chances, but the game should of been dead and buried at 2-0. Referee gave them a life line with that penalty. It was harsh. Puyol couldn't just run away from the ball, it was just a accidently collision.

With Pique missing the replay due to the yellow. Puyol missing the replay due to the red. Barca already have a weak defence, so this could be trouble.

Iniesta hopefully back.

Any word on Arshavin if he be able to play? Fabregas out. Another play out for Arsenal can't remember who though, possibly Eboué. So alot of main players out.

No doubt it's going to be a interesting 2nd leg.

Can't see Arsenal scoring at the Nou Camp though

Gallas..!? Did you watch the game??
    And bias aside, Arsenal always have the ability to score where ever they play, be it home or away.

Wenger can be like that though

Most managers are like that. AW is more pronounced for it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

ha ha did the barca bullies try and rough up wengers pretty footballers?! even from wenger that'd be funny. strange comment from Wenger re:fab being kicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Mr Alan wrote: »
    ha ha did the barca bullies try and rough up wengers pretty footballers?! even from wenger that'd be funny. strange comment from Wenger re:fab being kicked.

Actually just watched the press conference, Wenger full of praise for Barcelona, where are you getting the bully bit from :confused:

Also said it was a red card.

Sútalún wrote: »
    Gallas..!? Did you watch the game??
    And bias aside, Arsenal always have the ability to score where ever they play, be it home or away.

I did watch the game. But unfortunetly I don't memorize every detail. I made a mistake...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

it was a joke. cool your jets.

think maybe the picth was at fault, but tbh, Barcelona dont play football anyway, they just park the bus, it is frustrating for a team who just want to play football like Arsenal ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Mr Alan wrote: »
    it was a joke. cool your jets.

I never know with you :p:)

think maybe the picth was at fault, but tbh, Barcelona dont play football anyway, they just park the bus, it is frustrating for a team who just want to play football like Arsenal ;)

That and their ****ing poxy route 1 goals :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Barca masterclass for an hour.

then between Barca deciding they didn't feel like pressing the ball, and Arsenal saying to themselves 'f*ck it, let's give it to Theo and see what happens', a draw somehow materialises.

i hope Cesc is ok.

and Gallas for that matter.

it's starting to look like utter desperation on Wenger's part playing them tonight. bad decision, and i hope it doesn't take either of their World Cups away from them.

SlickRic wrote: »
    it's starting to look like utter desperation on Wenger's part playing them tonight. bad decision, and i hope it doesn't take either of their World Cups away from them.

With the age he's at I imagine it could be Gallas' WC gone.

And if reports of a broken leg for Cesc are true then that's him gone too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

and just saw Pep there; utter class from the man.

asked how he thought his team managed to lose, he responds with 'we're happy'. plus something along the lines of he's honoured to come to a country like England and play their football.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ohhh noeee! Imagine, a foreigner not using quite the exact lingo! Listen to Wenger regularly and it's apparent that words like 'kick' and 'knock' get interchanged.

I think the real issue here is; when will this thread reach 1000 posts?

• Advertisement

Any time soon now....

very soon

Diaby was very poor, his first touch left him

lol I win (for once)

1000 replies

BOOM