Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal -v- Barca, Champions league Q/Final 1st leg

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

We have a winner!

This thread isn't far off being a fifth of the size of the Arsenal team thread. Must be some kind of Arsenal-related record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Frisbee wrote: »
    1000 replies

BOOM

lol :p:p

your 1001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Headshot wrote: »
    lol I win (for once)
    1000 replies

BOOM

Error! Error!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

lol :p:p

your 1001

Exactly.

Original post + 1000 = 1000 replies.

Never said I was the 1000th post

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Just watching the rte analysis now, ronnie whelan :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Exactly.

Original post + 1000 = 1000 replies.

Never said I was the 1000th post

ill have to remember that excuse :p

We have a winner!

This thread isn't far off being a fifth of the size of the Arsenal team thread. Must be some kind of Arsenal-related record.

And the match itself wasn't even that controversial, dodgy peno and red card with the odd broken leg and calf here and there.

T'was no World Cup denying handball :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Some awful decisions, but at the same time, luck goes against you sometimes, and a 2-2 draw away from home is an awesome result, especially considering how we dominated for 60 minutes.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

cson wrote: »
    And the match itself wasn't even that controversial, dodgy peno and red card with the odd broken leg and calf here and there.

T'was no World Cup denying handball :pac:
    Dunno cson, we had a stonewall penalty that stonewall wasn't... er...

Tonight was just one of those games where I was glad I had a selection of tasty beers so that I could just sit back, relax and enjoy the spectacle. Once the euphoria of the comeback dies down people will realise that our season is probably over now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

But he only ended up in front of Fab when the ball was gone and to get there he ran through Fabregas. That is the problem and why it was a penalty.

No problem if you are in a straight race with a player and you get your body in front of him but you can't go through a player and impede his shot to get yourself there.

I seriously don't know what you're talking about when you say he ran through Fab. I don't mean to be pedantic but it's physically impossible to run through a person. Maybe if Puyol ran through the exact spot on the pitch where Fab was standing and thus sent him spawling... but he didn't do that.

Also, it's not only when you are in a foot race that you can use your body to shield the ball.

I'm thinking about it like this - when you're a defender and there's a ball bouncing up off the ground in the box (usually just after a corner has been half cleared), you get yourself on top of the ball (ie you get the ball to be somewhere just in front of your legs), and then you clear it as quickly as you can. This happens all the time in football and when it does, it's never important that an attacker was having a swing at it - the defender just gets in the way and clears if he can. No probs, no penalty.

• Advertisement

Tonight was just one of those games where I was glad I had a selection of tasty beers so that I could just sit back, relax and enjoy the spectacle. Once the euphoria of the comeback dies down people will realise that our season is probably over now.

Even with that comeback we'll be dumped out next week. Especially without Cesc and Billy G.

Looks like we'll be doing without both of them for the remainder of the league campaign also. Never thought we would win the league but definitely not with those two out.

Our season ended where it usually ends; in that ****ing pixie hole that is St Andrews :P :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Another one of those times when you wonder what Wenger is thinking. Has he come to a realisation tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

cson wrote: »
    Our season ended where it usually ends; in that ****ing pixie hole that is St Andrews :P :(

where i predicted it would!

and got slated on here for it too!

(sorry, i know its petty, but i really did get slated for saying it)

id agree with pep, the season looks lost now for ye, so many injuries in terms of the league, and then Barca have a big advantage for the second leg in europe

not looking great

Arsenal still have an excellent chance in the premiership, to ay we don't is madness imo and I have a feeling we will get a result in Barcelona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

you still think you've a great chance without Cesc or Gallas? gotta disagree to be honest, be some achievement if ya went won all your games until the end of the season without em, which is wat i think you'd have to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Even with that comeback we'll be dumped out next week. Especially without Cesc and Billy G.

Looks like we'll be doing without both of them for the remainder of the league campaign also. Never thought we would win the league but definitely not with those two out.

I thought that going to Anfield in 89 without Marwood.....that night turned out alright......odds stacked against us....unbeatable opposition.......impossible result......yep....I'm looking forward to next week.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    you still think you've a great chance without Cesc or Gallas? gotta disagree to be honest, be some achievement if ya went won all your games until the end of the season without em, which is wat i think you'd have to do.

We may not have to win all our games to do it, it will be a huge ask in Barcelona especially without Cesc and William but the tie is still very much alive

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Arsenal still have an excellent chance in the premiership, to ay we don't is madness imo and I have a feeling we will get a result in Barcelona

Imo to win the league we'll need to win all the rest of our games.

We most certainly shall not be doing that.

And now without Cesc and Gallas I reckon we'll lose at least one more, maybe even two.

• Advertisement

And now without Cesc and Gallas I reckon we'll lose at least one more, maybe even two.

Not that we'll lose but draws. The game at the weekend for instance has a smell of draw off it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Arsenal were crap cant wait to see them get the stuffing knocked out of em and break their little hearts for good. They'll never win any league.

Arsenal were crap cant wait to see them get the stuffing knocked out of em and break their little hearts for good. They'll never win any league.

Insightful.

P.S. Tell the Bridies that :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

You should really get a life. It might be good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

OPENROAD wrote: »
    We may not have to win all our games to do it, it will be a huge ask in Barcelona especially without Cesc and William but the tie is still very much alive

I reckon so too. Tonight we were very nervy, but the comeback was fantastic and as Wenger said if he could have replaced Fab there might have been a third in us. Nasri can slot into cesc's place and hopefully arshavin and wallcott can start on the wings next week. This tie definitely isn't over and we'll get a very good idea of which way the league is going to go by Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

tried to read the whole thread but got as far as page 54. HOW are people saying that wasn't a penalty? I know there was no intent for the foul but fab was completely upended while trying to shoot.

Anyone who thinks that isn't a penalty is quite stupid IMO. I'd say more but dont wanna be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Sky News saying Fab has a broken leg - World cup over

Feel for the chap - A player of his quality should be there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Gangsta wrote: »
    Nasri can slot into cesc's place and hopefully arshavin and wallcott can start on the wings next week. This tie definitely isn't over and we'll get a very good idea of which way the league is going to go by Sunday evening.
    Yeah, Nasri is a quality little player and he has the ability to step up and do the type of job Fabregas normally does for ye. Things are looking bad for the league for ye but not totally hopeless. As for the CL, well it would require this young Arsenal team to ALL put in the performance of their lives next week to get through imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

redout wrote: »

Yep, sickner for the guy. Arsenal have an uphill task to get a trophy this year.

redout wrote: »

I'm still absolutely baffled as to how he's managed to break his leg if this proves to be true.

Couldn't be from the Puyol challenge as he took the peno grand.

So did he break it jogging back to his own half?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Pro. F wrote: »
    I seriously don't know what you're talking about when you say he ran through Fab. I don't mean to be pedantic but it's physically impossible to run through a person. Maybe if Puyol ran through the exact spot on the pitch where Fab was standing and thus sent him spawling... but he didn't do that.

Also, it's not only when you are in a foot race that you can use your body to shield the ball.

I'm thinking about it like this - when you're a defender and there's a ball bouncing up off the ground in the box (usually just after a corner has been half cleared), you get yourself on top of the ball (ie you get the ball to be somewhere just in front of your legs), and then you clear it as quickly as you can. This happens all the time in football and when it does, it's never important that an attacker was having a swing at it - the defender just gets in the way and clears if he can. No probs, no penalty.

Haha I didn't mean he literally ran through him like he was a ghost or something!:D

Here is how I look at it. The ball was in the air and Fabregas started to swing at it as Puyol was closing down on him attempting to get the ball. But Puyol got nowhere near the ball but instead impeded Fabregas by stopping him complete look the forward motion of his shot. Fabregas's foot was off the ground and in a swinging motion when Puyol bundled into him and stopped that swinging motion and got nowhere near the ball. Therefore it is a penalty.

Imagine if it was from the side and Fabregas had his leg off the floor and was finishing a swinging motion and inches away from taking a shot and a defender came from nowhere but got nowhere near the ball and only succeded in impeding the player finishing the movement towards the ball. Nobody would argue with that being a penalty.

Well this is the same thing accept it happened behind Fabregas and his swing towards the ball was only beginning.

That is how I see it anyway.

Real shame about Fabregas if he is injured. Spain will not be happpy with him playing on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Spain will not be happpy with him playing on.

It looked like his decision to stay on. Spain don't pay his wages and don't start him so, I'm sure that's the last thing on his mind right now. Missing a return to the Nou Camp is probably far more heartbreaking!

I'm still absolutely baffled as to how he's managed to break his leg if this proves to be true.

It had to be the Puyol challenge, surely? Maybe the adrenaline pulled him through taking the penalty and only afterwards when he tried to run did he feel the full pain?

jasonorr wrote: »
    It looked like his decision to stay on. Spain don't pay his wages and don't start him so, I'm sure that's the last thing on his mind right now. Missing a return to the Nou Camp is probably more heartbreaking!

Yeah for sure. But I wasn't talking about what is on his mind. I'm talking about how pissed off the Spanish fans and FA would be at the stupidity of staying on with a broken leg.

Yeah for sure. But I wasn't talking about what is on his mind. I'm talking about how pissed off the Spanish fans and FA would be at the stupidity of staying on with a broken leg.

About how pissed off most club fans are when one of there players picks up an injury in a meaningless international friendly.

Plus he doesn't even start for them.

Like I said, they don't pay his wages or start him all that often. We've had it the other way where van Persie has been injured playing for Holland. I think we have a right to feel far more aggrieved!

Like I said, they don't pay his wages or start him all that often. We've had it the other way where van Persie has been injured playing for Holland. I think we have a right to feel far more aggrieved!

+1

We have had it many many times

About how pissed off most club fans are when one of there players picks up an injury in a meaningless international friendly.

Plus he doesn't even start for them.

Which is usually quite pissed off! He made a huge contribution in the last European championships.

It is a squad game after all in major tournaments. Could you imagine how ballistic Arsenal would go if he broke his leg on international duty and continued playing? I know they pay his wages but Spain still have a right to be mightily pissed off.

Rofl, you've been consistently talking absolute sh*t for the past few months Headshot.
    so do people still think barca have a good defence and goal keeper ?
    jebus frisbee you have a serious crush on barca, defending ibra and now this, for shame man :p

I think their defence is well dodgy and the crap about best defence in league and europe is because they keep the ball, once you actually drive at their defence its a different story altogether

Valdes seems to always have a **** up once in a while.

I hate the crap about pique being a WC defender too, good defender but not WC at all

You sound like a hater. You wait for mistakes to be made and then pounce by pointing them out. Barcelona have the best defense in La Liga and the Champions League. The way they achieve this stat is completely irrelevant. If a team has 70% possession a game, it would be utterly retarded to not incorporate that into their defensive strategy.

They minimise their chances of conceding a goal by holding onto the ball, and pressing from the front. That means they can afford to push their fullbacks up, or course sometimes they'll get caught out once in a while by an attack. Arsenal have an attack capable of beating any team in world football.

Valdes is also one of the best keepers in the world, he seems to have this reputation because of his earlier career, but he has made no more mistakes than VDS, Reina, or Casillas in the past 3 seasons.

They have lost one game domestically and one game in the CL, that stat wouldn't exist if Barca didn't possess a good goalkeeper or defence - and thats a FHACT.

bound to score after all the misses

give me eto'o any day of the week

I watch ibra but im sorry he just doesnt do it for me, like flah said you either hate or love the guy

I dont understand the love but I dont understand alot of things :pac:

ROFL! Bound to score after all the misses? He fcuking lobbed the keeper, and his 2nd was one of the most emphatic finishes I've seen all year. He has 20 goals and 8 assists in 34 appearances this year (the amount of absolutely vital goals he's scored is crazy too). Yet people constantly berate and belittle him. Zlatan isn't a finisher, he never was, he also isn't used to front man, in his career he played behind a frontman, and started his moves in midfield. He has completely changed his game at Barca. I wonder will people who love to point out his flaws ever give him credit. Instead of coming out with absolute horsh*t like 'bound to score after all those misses'. It's actually pathetic.

Eto'o has been much worse at Inter than Zlatan at Barca. Ask an Inter fan. Eto'o is prone to missing sitters too, watch the Chelsea games for proof. Also, Eto'o was leaving Barca on a free if they didn't offload him last year, and everyone needs to blaming Ibrahimovic for his transfer fee, he didn't decide to be sold for 40 million. He's was disappointing for the first 2 or 3 months of 2010, but you'd swear he was clubbing baby seals the way some haters on here go on about him. He's won 6 league titles in a row, at Ajax, Juventus, and Inter. He was also the key player in I'd say 5 of those titles, he's a winner.

Slowly he's shutting up all his doubters, last year people said he was a big game bottler, he's scored more big game goals for Barca this season than any other player, and was our best player for the first half of the season. If you're expecting him to be as good as Villa/ Torres at finishing then you'll be disappointed, but he's proving himself every game, he constantly occupies 3 defenders which leaves space for his team mates.

Anyway, that's enough off topic discussion. On the game, I thought the first 20 minutes of the game was some of the most breathtaking football I've ever seen, there was a telepathic understanding between players, and a tenacity that the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea have prided themselves on in the past. Great stuff, I think overall we were the far far far superior side, but Walcott really exposed Maxwell when he came on. It was almost as if Maxwell was on cruise control, and didn't expect Theo to run at him.

The team was punished for it's lack of urgency in the last thirty minutes. It seems the team was happy to play for a 2-0, a 2-1, and even the 2-2 draw. Was discouraging to see, because if they played with the desire of the first half, they could easily have scored a third or fourth.

Messi was particularly lethargic in the 2nd half, he didn't even bother to try taking on defenders, it seemed like he was saving himself for the league/ 2nd leg. It was discouraging to see such complacency tbh. Abidal being back for the 2nd leg will be excellent news, he was fantastic before his injury, and if he can get some match sharpness over the weekend then his presence will give the backline a big boost without Puyol/ Pique. I expect Chygrynsky and Milito to play as the two CBs for the return leg. I hope Iniesta can make a recovery for the game, because him and Xavi in midfield will really put Arsenal to the sword at the Camp Nou.

Zlatan should not have been substituted, Henry was very bad when he came on, and Pedro faded in the last 30 minutes.

Btw, just wanted to say, Xavi was absolutely f*cking sublime the entire game, his intelligence is 2nd to none, it's like he knows how moves are going to pan out 3 or 4 passes before they happen. I think the gulf in class between him and Fabregas was there for all to see (I know Cesc was injured).

Still though, in the end, Arsenal were taught a lesson tonight imo. 2-2 seems to be a good result for both teams though, Barca would have bitten your hand off for that result before the game, and Arsenal would have bitten your hand off for it at 1/2 time. This way everybody wins, but it just means I don't get to relax for the 2nd leg, because Arsenal are well capable of beating Barca at the Camp Nou. Hopefully Barca play more like the first 60 minutes though. I'm very proud of F.C Barcelona tonight, at times they put on a masterclass for all to see, excellent game of football between two teams that respected each other. (It was great to see how friendly Pep and Arsene were at the start, and how all of Cesc's youth team teammates embraced him during the handshakes)

I think Barca will go through, but it won't be easy. Still all to play for.

I think we have a right to feel far more aggrieved!

I didn't say you don't but surely Spain also have a right to be less than happy?

I didn't say you don't but surely Spain also have a right to be less than happy?

• Advertisement

Spain were happy enough to play Torres when he was injured and then just send him back to Liverpool so they can go stuff themselves tbh.

Why is it that when a country plays a player when he is injured that it is their fault and everyone gets outraged by it but when a club like Arsenal do it, it is the player's choice to play and the country have no right to be angry.

Perhaps it was Torres' choice to play for Spain injured?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

wow i have never seen a better performance in my life by and team:eek: 2-2 what the hell 5-0 it should of been:confused:

fair play to arsenal getting themselves back into the tie but even then i think at the nou camp it will be even more of a 90min raping of arsenal:eek:..at times barca taunted arsenal like playing with them...im in awe!!

(my post is excluding the last 20 minutes:pac:)

Why is it that when a country plays a player when he is injured that it is their fault and everyone gets outraged by it but when a club like Arsenal do it, it is the player's choice to play and the country have no right to be angry.

Because their country doesn't pay them 80k a week regardless of whether they play or sit on the bench, the club do.

Btw, I had a bit of a brain fart there, Chygrynsky can't play in the CL because he's cup tied after the supercup. My bad.. Looks like it'll be Milito-Marquez afterall. Fcuking disaster.

Money.

/end of

Fair enough. But he is an essential part of the Spanish squad who have a chance to make history and win the world cup. If he was an Irish player and we were somehow in a similar position and he was allowed carry on with a broken leg, everyone would go mental.

Not to mention how insanely ballistic the English would go if Ferguson allowed Rooney to play with a broken leg or Benitez did the same with Gerard. I think the Spanairds have a right to be pissed off at the lack of care that was shown to one of their players.

Fabregas is caught up in the emotion so of course he wants to play but Wenger and the management team have to look after his overall welfare.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Theo changed the game completely, hope he starts in the Camp Nou and tears whoever's playing apart. He's getting confident now and we'll reap the rewards eventually, starting Tuesday i hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Fair enough. But he is an essential part of the Spanish squad who have a chance to make history and win the world cup. If he was an Irish player and we were somehow in a similar position and he was allowed carry on with a broken leg, everyone would go mental.

Not to mention how insanely ballistic the English would go if Ferguson allowed Rooney to play with a broken leg or Benitez did the same with Gerard. I think the Spanairds have a right to be pissed off at the lack of care that was shown to one of their players.

Fabregas is caught up in the emotion so of course he wants to play but Wenger and the management team have to look after his overall welfare.

How would Arsenal know his leg was broken? If Fabregas says he's ok to play on they're hardly going to haul him off in a Champions League quarter final, just in case he gets injured and misses the world cup.

His injury is a bigger blow to Arsenal than Spain anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

It's possible he fractured his leg and then as he took the peno and played on the fracture got bigger and bigger untill it was a break.

Advertisement