Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal -v- Barca, Champions league Q/Final 1st leg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I can't believe we have to wait until tomorrow for this :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

While Cesc did not train today and will have a fitness test tomorrow.

Pique is a doubt and has missed the last few games.

He trained on his own again yesterday.

As for Xavi he played on saturday and should be fine

Arsenal
    Out: Aaron Ramsey (broken leg), Robin van Persie (ankle ligaments), Kieran Gibbs (broken metatarsal), Johan Djourou (knee)
    Doubtful: Cesc Fàbregas (knee)
    Suspended: none
    Misses next match if booked: Gaël Clichy, Cesc Fábregas, Robin van Persie

• Andrei Arshavin, Abou Diaby and William Gallas have trained and could all feature. Cesc Fàbregas will be given another 24 hours to recover from the bruising to his knee suffered in Saturday's match against Birmingham City FC.

Barcelona
    Out: Andrés Iniesta (thigh tear), Eric Abidal (groin tear)
    Doubtful: Gerard Piqué (knee)
    Misses next match if booked: Carles Puyol, Gerard Piqué

• Andrés Iniesta will miss the first leg after suffering a small tear to his right hamstring during Saturday's 1-0 victory at RCD Mallorca. The Spain midfielder was replaced by Lionel Messi after 51 minutes and subsequent tests revealed a muscle tear which will sideline the 25-year-old for up to ten days.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Apparently SSN are reporting now that Xavi is out for tomorrow. I don't have access to the TV at the mo so I can't confirm.

Apparently SSN are reporting now that Xavi is out for tomorrow. I don't have access to the TV at the mo so I can't confirm.

Catalan press dont have this and they are usually on the ball.

I will keep an eye out but makes no sense as I saw him walk off the plane and then into the hotel.

Considering the team are yet to train today how did he get injured ?

Fell down the boarding stairs disembarking? :pac:

redout wrote: »
    Catalan press dont have this and they are usually on the ball.

I will keep an eye out but makes no sense as I saw him walk off the plane and then into the hotel.

Considering the team are yet to train today how did he get injured ?

I heard them say that he had a calf injury, nothing about a current injury though. I might have missed it!

jasonorr wrote: »
    I heard them say that he had a calf injury, nothing about a current injury though. I might have missed it!
    Probably just a case of someone being unable to read so!

Probably just a case of someone being unable to read so!

I may have missed it, we can only hope!
    Fell down the boarding stairs disembarking? :pac:

Messi nearly fell off the bus!

Whats the odds on seeing this tomorrow night ?

24gvak2.gif

• Advertisement

Whats the odds on seeing this tomorrow night ?

24gvak2.gif

Hattrick or wondergoal?

Hattrick or wondergoal?

Haha........both :D

Haha........both :D

A wondergoal from that man is always on the cards, not even going to comment on the other...no jinxing from me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Arse need to play physical. Barca don't like it up 'em. Best way to stop Messi is to kick the crap out of him.

Arse need to play physical. Barca don't like it up 'em. Best way to stop Messi is to kick the crap out of him.

That doesnt work.

2 - 0 at the Camp Nou (Messi x 1)

2 - 6 at the Bernabeu proved it last season (Messi x 2)

Had the living crap kicked out of him and still scored/influenced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Kick him until his leg is hanging off. Pretty sure that'd work.

Pics from tonights training at the Emirates

2010-03-30_ENTRENO_18.JPG

2010-03-30_ENTRENO_01.JPG

2010-03-30_ENTRENO_06.JPG

Pique trained with the team this evening and is no longer a doubt for tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Pique trained with the team this evening and is no longer a doubt for tomorrow night.

What a massive boost, Pique--Puyol or Pique--Milito is a muchhhhhhhhhhh better proposition than Puyol--Milito. Delighted.

Also, those pics of the Barca players in their team suits are absolute class. Guardiola is such a dapper looking man, and he now he has the entire team looking sharp too. Grey suits and navy waistcoats ftw! :p

Btw - I would take a 2-1 defeat away tomorrow night. 1-1 would be ideal though, that's our lucky away score so far under Pep. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Hearing reports now that Fabregas may not even make the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Ush1 wrote: »
    Hearing reports now that Fabregas may not even make the bench.

source?

OPENROAD wrote: »
    source?

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1716/champions-league/2010/03/30/1856223/arsene-wenger-cesc-fabregas-a-major-doubt-for-barcelona
    "He did not train this morning (Tuesday) and at moment he is not fit to play," Wenger told reporters.
    "We will give him 24 hours more, but I don't know if he will be available.
    "If the game were Tuesday, he would not play."
    Several commentators have suggested Fabregas may still play a part, even if he is not fit enough to be named in the starting XI.
    However, Wenger has categorically ruled out naming the midfielder on the bench if he fails a late fitness test.
    "If he is not capable to play, I would not take a gamble and put him on the bench," he added. - Wenger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Nowhere there does it say he might not make the bench.
    All Wenger says is that if he's not fit he won't make the bench.

Also those quotes are from yesterday.

Frisbee wrote: »

Does it not imply that he's not fit???? Ipso facto...

Fabregas not being fit yesterday and Wenger saying if he's not fit he wont make the bench doesn't equal; Fabregas might not even make the bench.

It's just like token tabloid story manufacturing.

• Advertisement

Goal.com is as credible as Guti saying he's straight. :p

Wenger says he doesnt know if he'll be fit. If he's not fit he won't be on the bench, so fair to say he may not be even on the bench?

eZe^ wrote: »
    Goal.com is as credible as Guti saying he's straight. :p
    True but quotes are quotes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

We just all have to pray that Gary Lewin and Tony Colbert work their magic!!!

Cortisone for the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

The eve lads, i've an awful feeling i'm going to be let down.

I love the barca lads too in the suit, proper team thing that is. Very classy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Not fit now, might be fit tomorrow. If he's fit, he'll play. If he's not fit to play a part, he won't even be on the bench. It's not really about implications.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/fabregas-has-40-per-cent-chance-for-barca

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/gallas-named-in-squad-for-barcelona-tie
    William Gallas "has a chance" of playing in Wednesday's Champions League Quarter-Final with Barcelona.

The return of the French centre back is a surprise after missing the last eight games with a calf injury. However the 32-year-old has been back in training for three days and, according to Arsène Wenger, he is in decent physical shape.

"Gallas is in the squad," said the manager at Tuesday's press conference. "I have not picked the team yet but he has a chance.

"He looks physically quite good. He has had three days training and I will now have to have a chat with him and then decide.

"But," he added later, "Sol Campbell has played many games recently and a little breather would be welcome."

Elsewhere, Cesc Fabregas has a "40 per cent" chance of playing after suffering severe bruising to his leg at Birmingham on Saturday. In addition Andrey Arshavin and Samir Nasri have recovered from small knocks and should be involved.

I didn't realise he's been training the past three days. In that case get him in the team!

Yup, saw Gallas in the training pics they posted up on the official site earlier and wondered. I think if we'd won at Birmingham, he might be kept back but with the draw there... maybe.

On another note, Wenger really does give a class press conference:
    He has done an exceptional job - he has started his career with the dessert!

Now he needs in the next 20 seasons to win every year the Spanish League, the Champions League, and the Spanish Cup. That will of course be difficult.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Yup, saw Gallas in the training pics they posted up on the official site earlier and wondered. I think if we'd won at Birmingham, he might be kept back but with the draw there... maybe.

On another note, Wenger really does give a class press conference:

:)

Brilliant.

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola has declared that playing possession football will be key in Wednesday's mouthwatering UEFA Champions League quarter-final first leg against Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium.

Guardiola believes both sides will try to play to their strengths and insists that whichever side can dominate possession of the football will have the upper hand.

"They will play to their strengths and so will we, and we'll judge the result after as the return leg will decide the game. Scoring away is important to progress to the next round and we go with the intention of attacking in a controlled manner and to defend every ball in a very intense and aggressive way. They want the ball, we do too, it will be a key. The idea is to score goals, that's the objective," he told a press conference.

"It's an honour to come to this stadium to play against a mythical club, a very good opponent for many years who are an example of how to play good football. We will try to put on a good show for the people.

"They will be more careful and closer together, be supportive when they do not have the ball, they'll be vigilant and will go for the game."

The Catalan coach also stated that his counterpart Arsene Wenger is one of the world's greatest coaches, crediting the Frenchman with imposing a style on the Gunners that the whole world enjoys to watch.

"I think he [Wenger] will make every attempt to convince the players to put together a good performance and beat us. He's is one of the best coaches in the world, has won many titles and trophies and has changed the mentality of this club. Before he arrived here Arsenal was different. Now the whole world admires the style of Arsenal, and we are honoured to play against them and try to beat them," he noted.

Guardiola also warned that Arsenal have more in their armoury than Barcelona born Cesc Fabregas, pointing to their result against Porto in the previous round as proof of their potency.

"He [Fabregas] is just is very, very good, and I'd guess that the team is better with him but without him here they beat Porto 5-0, because they have very dynamic players in his position. Tomorrow I will know whether he plays or not, but if they say he won't, I won't take that because I do not believe it," he added.

"Since he was very young he's been brilliant at arriving into the area, he has a great character and it's normal that he has scored so many goals. He has many levels, he was half formed at our place and his formation finished here. He is very important to them, but they beat Porto without him too," he concluded.

Pep Guardiola is such a classy motherf*cker.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭moikey

Arsenal
    Out: Aaron Ramsey (broken leg), Robin van Persie (ankle ligaments), Kieran Gibbs (broken metatarsal), Johan Djourou (knee)
    Doubtful: Cesc Fàbregas (knee)
    Misses next match if booked: Gaël Clichy, Cesc Fábregas, Robin van Persie

• Andrei Arshavin, Abou Diaby and William Gallas have trained and could all feature. Cesc Fàbregas will be given another 24 hours to recover from the bruising to his knee suffered in Saturday's match against Birmingham City FC.

Barcelona
    Out: Andrés Iniesta (thigh tear), Eric Abidal (groin tear)
    Doubtful: Gerard Piqué (knee)
    Misses next match if booked: Carles Puyol, Gerard Piqué

• Andrés Iniesta will miss the first leg after suffering a small tear to his right hamstring during Saturday's 1-0 victory at RCD Mallorca. The Spain midfielder was replaced by Lionel Messi after 51 minutes and subsequent tests revealed a muscle tear which will sideline the 25-year-old for up to ten days.

whoa crap Fab on yellow and Clichy!:eek:

It's wierd how i look at this tie. I see wenger aspiring to play the system and style barca play. Yet i see pep aspiring to be the coach and manager wenger is.

Very odd but sexy balance.

- also wengers comment about the dessert is class. Right up there " with the they have been eating caviar, so it's quite hard to serve them sausages " comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

moikey wrote: »
    whoa crap Fab on yellow and Clichy!:eek:

Yep can see clichy getting another unfortunately....armand traoré v messi in camp nou wouldn't bode well for arsenal.

Im absolutely buzzing for this match. No matter if its a cagey tactical battle or a 4-3 humdinger should be very entertaining to watch.

Great to see two coaches with serious amount of respect for another do battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭moikey

Kirnsy wrote: »
    Yep can see clichy getting another unfortunately....armand traoré v messi in camp nou wouldn't bode well for arsenal.

Im absolutely buzzing for this match. No matter if its a cagey tactical battle or a 4-3 humdinger should be very entertaining to watch.

Great to see two coaches with serious amount of respect for another do battle.

Traore against Messi scares the hell outta me..but I dont think wenger would play him..I'd say he'd use Sagna someone with a bit of pace and strength.

Yes this is one set of matches that I don't think I or anyone else will ever forget, would've loved to get a ticket..but I'm settling for Arsenal vs. Wolves this weekend.

moikey wrote: »
    Traore against Messi scares the hell outta me..but I dont think wenger would play him..I'd say he'd use Sagna someone with a bit of pace and strength.

Yes this is one set of matches that I don't think I or anyone else will ever forget, would've loved to get a ticket..but I'm settling for Arsenal vs. Wolves this weekend.

:confused:

These are basically the only attributes Traore has in spades...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I can see arsenal getting something from this, 1-0 arshavin with the goal

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    I can see arsenal getting something from this, 1-0 arshavin with the goal

Dream result to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

peabutler wrote: »
    We just all have to pray that Gary Lewin and Tony Colbert work their magic!!!

Cortisone for the win.

Completely petty but is it not Gary's cousin Colin and Brian O'Driscolls's brother/cousin..? that have taken over with Gary gone to the English National team?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

A clamor rises from the pitch We’re the blue and claret people Makes no difference where we hail from Whether it’s from the south or the north Now we all agree we all agree One flag unites us in brotherhood Blue and claret flowing in the wind One valiant cry We’ve got a name that everyone knows Barça! Barça! Baaarça!

Players, Supporters United we are strong So much glory through the years Oh, the many goals we’ve cheered And it has been proven, it has been proven That no one can break us Blue and claret flowing in the wind, One valiant cry We’ve got a name that everyone knows Barça! Barça! Baaarça

Thank crunchie it's...erm...Wednesday!

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    A clamor rises from the pitch We’re the blue and claret people Makes no difference where we hail from Whether it’s from the south or the north Now we all agree we all agree One flag unites us in brotherhood Blue and claret flowing in the wind One valiant cry We’ve got a name that everyone knows Barça! Barça! Baaarça!

Players, Supporters United we are strong So much glory through the years Oh, the many goals we’ve cheered And it has been proven, it has been proven That no one can break us Blue and claret flowing in the wind, One valiant cry We’ve got a name that everyone knows Barça! Barça! Baaarça

So it's pride songs is it...

We've got silvestre...ohh, We've got silvestre...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Don't Blame it on Gallas, Don't Blame it on Sagna, Don't Blame it on Clichy, Blame it on Silvestre!!!

Dream result to be honest!
    It's actually the exact dream I had last night :eek:

And I just kept saying "See, he's always likely to do it in the big matches!" over and over.

• Advertisement

How in the name of God am I supposed to focus on writing an essay today?! :(

Advertisement