Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tinahely walking trails

Options
  • 28-03-2010 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭

Came across sign posts for new trails near Tinahely which have various options depending on whether you want a short, medium or longer walk. The latter one is the Kyle loop. Jogged around it this afternoon and it was fab. Nearly 12k long with stunning views across Wicklow, e.g.

4470335788_f5bef788fe_b.jpg

More pics here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickhanney/sets/72157622045997055/ with photos tagged with Kyle loop

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

I have done these trails, very nice walks, and the scenery is beautiful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭HeavyRunner

Did the Kyle Loop as part of the Tinahely walking festival at the week-end. Very nice walk. Here is Google map of our walk. Some great options for walking around the Tinahely area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I'd also recommend the railway walk nearby on an old disused line - it's all flat and a bit short, but its a very pretty walk alongside a couple of rivers and terminates in some old woods near Coolatin estate. Espcially nice in the Autumn with the fall colours and the chance to see lots of pheasent/grouse in the woods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭HeavyRunner

dogmatix wrote: »
    I'd also recommend the railway walk nearby on an old disused line - it's all flat and a bit short, but its a very pretty walk alongside a couple of rivers and terminates in some old woods near Coolatin estate. Espcially nice in the Autumn with the fall colours and the chance to see lots of pheasent/grouse in the woods.

The railway walk is a fabulous walk for families. There are a number of short loops that cut in though the forest as well. Since I was last up they have added a new 2km extension that starts from the Tinahely end. It's not as nice as the existing walks but will improve over time. Think the plan is to extend it up to the Kyle/Mangan/Ballycumber walks. Not sure which route that would take.

The whole route is great for jogging and I use it quite a bit when I visit.

• Advertisement

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I was walking the railway walk over the weekend and I discovered that they have now extended the walk a good bit beyond togher bridge towards Aughrim. It currently terminates at the point where the old line would have crossed the derry river. I hope they plan to extend it all the way to Aughrim and maybe even Woodenbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

No problem resurrecting old threads here as long it's still relevant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

dogmatix wrote: »
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I was walking the railway walk over the weekend and I discovered that they have now extended the walk a good bit beyond togher bridge towards Aughrim. It currently terminates at the point where the old line would have crossed the derry river. I hope they plan to extend it all the way to Aughrim and maybe even Woodenbridge.

how long is the walk now roughly

From the car park at the old railway station in Tinahely it is about 2.66 miles out - a total of 5.32 miles out and back (according to my GPS at any rate). Would make a nice 5 mile run and I did notice a few joggers on the day. The trail literally stops at the Derry river - there is a narrow wooden footbridge over the river but it is blocked off.

About two-thirds of the way out there is a trail marked with a red arrow that heads north-west from the railway walk, apparently in the direction of ballycumber hill. I wondered if this is a connection with the looped walks there, but I did not have the time to explore this section.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

The new section of the Railway walk in the direction of Aughrim is a fine addition. I live a few k on from there so I am ever hopeful the extension makes its way past my village in due course.

There is a trail spur off the new extension which heads west through a Coillte plantation and it meets a backroad between Tinahely and Ballinglen. If you turn right onto this road, travel about 500 metres, you can take a left up a laneway which will bring you onto the Wicklow way / Kyle loop.

In addition, I discovered yesterday there is another trail extension in Tinahely. There is a trail which goes over Muskeagh hill, from east to west or west to east depending on where you are coming from! I did it yesterday as part of a looped run from Mangans lane. Garmin link here
    The gradient is quite severe in parts but its a short enough climb and the views are fantastic. Weather conditions yesterday were challenging too :D I travelled from the west side having come along the Wicklow way from Crossbridge. Fair play to the locals for putting the effort in on this. A pity that the torrential rain and a local herd of sheep have already put some serious damage into the just new trail on the east side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement