Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

liosban lights

Options
  • 28-03-2010 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

the two sets of traffic lights are out of order at liosban . well they were at 3 30 today. great stuff we just sailed through them no bother. why are there two sets of lights so close together. when you get to the first set going into city ,when they go red there is hardly anything waiting to go on the right. is it just me but there is no need for the those set of lights to be there. please do correct me if wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Because there are two T junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Give it time, there'll be roundabouts there shortly. Only messing, I guess it's needed so people can exit from Riverside and Liosban. Otherwise you'd sit a long time waiting for a gap, it's a very busy road.

Traffic wouldn't be able to get out of Riverside or Liosbaun easily without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I think the lights at Riverside are there as a pedestrian crossing more than for allowing traffic to get out....if I recall correctly there have been a few cases of pedestrians getting hit by cars near there, in fairness it's a busy road and I think that is the only crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sconsey wrote: »
    I think the lights at Riverside are there as a pedestrian crossing more than for allowing traffic to get out....if I recall correctly there have been a few cases of pedestrians getting hit by cars near there, in fairness it's a busy road and I think that is the only crossing.

Correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Sconsey wrote: »

But couldn't the pedestrians use the lights at the Liosban estate? It's only a 100 yards away or so.

I suppose the lights at riverside only stay red for a very short period of time so its not that much of a inconvenience.

s_carnage wrote: »
    But couldn't the pedestrians use the lights at the Liosban estate? It's only a 100 yards away or so.

I suppose the lights at riverside only stay red for a very short period of time so its not that much of a inconvenience.
    Those lights are dangerous - the flashing amber light for coming right out of liosban means people pull out if there is no car coming from the right - they don't necessarily look for pedestrians.

It has happened a couple of times in the last year that I have been crossing with the green man in my favour when someone pulls out of liosban and then has to break when they see me.
    One of them beeped at me and then looked sheepish when I pointed out the green man.

Edit: The lights at riverside are for people coming out of the estate and going to the bus stop.
    If I had my way I would move the pedestrian bit at Liosban to the AIB corner from the Ulster bank corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Has anyone else noticed that whenever traffic lights are out of order the traffic flows better ! ?.

I heard about a study in, I think, Scandinavia where they removed all road markings & lights etc & the result was lower accidents & better flow !

How do you suggest pedestrians cross the road when there are approximately 16 cars per minute at peak times?

http://www.nra.ie/NetworkManagement/TrafficCounts/TrafficCounterData/html/N17-16.htm
    Once the outer bypass is build I hope there are more traffic lights to replace the roundabouts in town.

The major roundabouts like Tesco's need underpasses like they have in civilised towns. I have watched students trying to cross & it can be virtually impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I hope you all made these suggestions to the City Council when they were seeking the input of the public last year

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Discodog wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed that whenever traffic lights are out of order the traffic flows better ! ?.

I heard about a study in, I think, Scandinavia where they removed all road markings & lights etc & the result was lower accidents & better flow !

Reference?

It may be better for all concerned at peak times. But in heavy-but-still-flowing traffic, it would be hell for pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

Discodog wrote: »

yes i do agree with you any time the lights are out at liosban its a dream to go into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

snubbleste wrote: »
    I hope you all made these suggestions to the City Council when they were seeking the input of the public last year
    when were they seeking input?but would they listen to us who do get stuck in traffic going to and from work?

JustMary wrote: »
    Reference?

It may be better for all concerned at peak times. But in heavy-but-still-flowing traffic, it would be hell for pedestrians.

If I remember correctly they were seriously considering it as an option. I think that the premise was that if motorists do not have lines on the road, traffic lights etc that it forces them to think & notice what is around them.

I also remember a bit about removing all lane markings on rural roads. I once drove home at night after the surface had been redone & the lines had not been painted. It was a nightmare but I did drive slower because I had too.

Unfortunately too many drivers are unaware of the correct priorities at especially staggered & box junctions as well as roundabouts. So often you see people looking at each other trying to work out who has priority.

Advertisement