Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bicycle Help Needed Very Badly

• 28-03-2010 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, this is my first post in the Cycling section.

Basically, bought a bike second hand (from a bike shop) and today, something went horribly wrong.

I dont even know what the name of the part thats broken, but Ill attach some pics and you can have a look for yourself!

Basically, the part got all mangled and now its horribly bent.

This is the first bike Ive had since I was about 13, so I havent even got a clue where to even start on this...

The fella in the shop said it had been checked over and all necesary work had been carried out... I think not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I was supposed to be cycling to work tomorrow...:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

It's a Rear Derailleur.
    Rear derailleurs "derail" the chain from one sprocket and move it to another.

It could be that the limit screws aren't adjusted properly, or the cable has slipped..

see here... http://www.bikewebsite.com/rearder.htm
    or here.. http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Bring it back to the shop.

Judging from your photos, the condition of the bike, the chain, cassette. even the worn cables, I find it hard to believe this:
    The fella in the shop said it had been checked over and all necesary work had been carried out... I think not.

It looks like the bike was bought by the shop and just turned around again quickly. If I bought a car second hand from a dealer I would expect at least a valet of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Bring it back to the shop. It is definitely their problem...unless you were jumping on the bike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

That's your rear derailleur. It's not worth trying to fix as something like this would replace it:- http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31288, you'd pick something up in any bike shop, you'd need a new gear cable too, the frayed one you have is shocking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭stephenshields2

Thanks for the links man!

But the screw that holds that rear Derailleur in place has lost all its grip, most likely when it got all mangled up. So now i cant even tighten it back to the frame, its just flopping about...

The stress... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

back to the shop so, like others have said.
    You did go there to buy a working bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Adjusting the screws won't help you fix that problem, the derailleur is bent and distorted, limit screw adjustment is something I would do when you replace that one.

Bring it back to the shop and get your money back or have it repaired and FULLY serviced. The gunk on that drivetrain looks older than me.

Of course, and he had the cheek to tell me that the brake and gear cables had been changed!!

The only problem is, his shop is in Kildare, and I live near Dundalk.

He brought the bike up on his way to Belfast, so I was never actually in his shop.

Chances are Ill never hear from him again. :mad:

How much would a (respectable) bike shop charge for a new back derailleur, brake and gear cables?

How much would a (respectable) bike shop charge for a new back derailleur, brake and gear cables?

Please everybody, need a quick answer to this!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 beara biker

hi there your rear mech is no more good. As regards the lug where it is attached if threads are sheared it can be attached with a special fitting. Most likely causes of your trouble is 1. the bike fell over and bent the lug therefore your adjustment screws did not do what they were supposed to. 2. The low adjustment screw was not set correctly. To fix it yourself you will need a new rear mech a new inner rear cable a 5mm allen key a 9mm spanner a philips screwdriver and a good snips. Its not as complicated as you may think . I will have know bother in talking you through it.

Right, how do I know which rear derailluer is for me??

And whats inner rear cable?

(Sorry to all you serious bike enthusiasts, im such a n00b... :()

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

From memory:
    Derailleur: 35 for a basic shimano
    Brake cables ~5
    Gear cables ~5

Do you plan on fitting it yourself though? If not labour would be a good bit on that.

That said, you got scammed, even if its inconvenient don't let him away with it.

From memory:
    Derailleur: 35 for a basic shimano
    Brake cables ~5
    Gear cables ~5

Do you plan on fitting it yourself though? If not labour would be a good bit on that.

That said, you got scammed, even if its inconvenient don't let him away with it.

Thanks man. Do you frequent the Airsoft forum by any chance?? :)

Yeah, Ill have to get it fitted, cos Im a spa, and I have not got a notion about bikes!!

I did, I got well and truly screwed!! :(

Thanks man. Do you frequent the Airsoft forum by any chance?? :)

Yeah, Ill have to get it fitted, cos Im a spa, and I have not got a notion about bikes!!

I did, I got well and truly screwed!! :(

Yep, I'm a long time 'softer:)

There is a Haynes manual on bikes, its a very good resource. Probably cost you a good few bob but learning to fix your own bike can save you a large sum in the long run. That is if you have some kind of work area. A bike multi-tool is a good investment too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

Rothar.ie - I've said it before and I'll say it again: Best place to go for second hand bike related anythingness, friendly, cheap and will teach you how to fix your bike - they run courses, €30 for a 4 hour course, teaches you everything you'll need to know generally..

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭GampDub

After having similar trouble with my bike in the last couple of weeks I contacted rothar.ie, they are running a bike maintenance workshop this Sat from 2pm (€30)! Unfortunately I can't make it this weekend but I do plan doing this workshop in the near future.

Its seems your knowledge of bikes and fixing them is about as good as mine (useless), I would suggest you get if you don't attend a course similar to the above that you go to a bike shop to get it fixed. Better to get a pro to fix it than doing a botch job yourself that will probably cost you more in the long run!!!

Dundalk is a bit of a trek though lads.

Advertisement