Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I buy a new house in Forest Hill, Carrigaline, Cork

Options
  • 28-03-2010 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Thinking of buying a new house in Carragline, Forest Hill. Three bed Detached... Guide Price €240... I wonder what whould i do ? Anyone know anyone who bought a house lately, i wonder what should a offer for it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

240k sounds quite expensive for a three bedroom house in the countryside.

Do you know how much houses in this area were selling for around 2000 - 2002?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

have a look at the apartments as you come into carrigaline - seems to be a surplus of property in the area.

I'd bid accordingly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

shill?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

It's pretty steep, not many of the houses are taken up there either I can still see the prices dropping...
    Having said that they are lovely houses and it's a quiet area!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Prices in Carraigaline have completely collapsed due to a glut in supply. I wouldn't touch anything there unless you have children in a school nearby, which judging by most of my work colleagues who live out there, might not be the case as schools are totally swamped due to overbuilding a few years back.

There are far nicer places, consider moving a little closer to the city where services are a bit better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bullet13

Just wondering foresthill if you went ahead with a purchase in Carraigaline? myself & partner are looking to buy at the moment (not necessarily in Carraigaline) so as we're shopping around - we heard there is good value to be got in Carraigaline - Forest Hill been mentioned. but judging by the previous post from shoegirl - Carraigaline isn't all it's cracked up to be to live in...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

hmmm how many times do you need to mention forresthill and carraigaline in one sentence!!

i call shill on this thread

AARRRGH wrote: »
    240k sounds quite expensive for a three bedroom house in the countryside.

Do you know how much houses in this area were selling for around 2000 - 2002?

From what I recall as numerous of my ex colleagues lived in the area, it was one of the worst areas for property place collapses in the last few years, and it apparently is a bit short on schooling from what I hear? (Taking this from a fact that a colleague had to send his son to Ballygarvan NS?) I used to cat sit for a friend there and it is a bleak and horrible place.

Another thing I noticed was a lot of the newer estates were built well outside of the main village area on dangerous roads. Horrible place, wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. There was also an article in a paper a week or two ago and apparently its one of the "high growth" job loss black spots.

Now that said the houses in Heron Wood are very nice, have been to a few parties there. And there are some lovely places outside it on the Carrigbiste road which takes you out beyond the estuary. I'd be more inclined to look at Rochestown, the Grange or even go northside to Glanmire though, they are more attactive and either closer to developed areas or had better starting infrastructures.

(Not just a bias against Carrigaline by the way, places like Ballinhassig, Rathcormac and Castlemartyr are equally poor places IMHO - same key problem though - remote villages with huge housing estates just plonked into them without any thoughts for infrastructure to support such populations and a long way from anywhere).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I don't know about Carrigaline having a property crash. From what I can see, prices seem a lot stickier there than in other parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭kmb

Hey Shoegirl,

Carrigaline is not a "bleak and horrible place."!!!

While it is true property has dropped in value but then again where has not?There is a new school as you know(or may not).

Foresthill is just outside carrigaline and easily accessed with the new road.
    I wont pretend to know much about foresthill as i live on the other side of the town but it is a fairly recent estate.

We have Dunnes stores,lidl, supervalue and nice cycle paths and walks between carrigaline and crosshaven.

Yes we have a lot of new estates but these are not "on Dangerous roads".

The other areas you have mentioned i would not touch with a barge pole as they certainly dont have the infrastructure which carrigaline has.

I would love to know what utopia area you live in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Not great value tbh considering location , is it a new estate ?

kmb wrote: »
    There is a new school as you know(or may not).
    We have Dunnes stores,lidl, supervalue and nice cycle paths and walks between carrigaline and crosshaven.
    ....I would love to know what utopia area you live in.

Oh, I know all about the school ... a former colleague was involved in that. Lidl = how amazing, I am really impressed.

Cycle paths to where by the way? C is at least 10 miles out of the city!

I live somewhere really quite nice actually, none of your business where.

There was a similar house in Ballincollig in the Examiner property section on Saturday for 220k - also some gorgeous ones in Glanmire from about 260k.
    Would recommend Midleton well before Carrigaline as it has an infrastructure (train, much nicer shopping, plenty of schools, good road to city and buses are actually not bad for commuting) - similar distance and the houses built around there are better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭kmb

shoegirl wrote: »
    From what I recall as numerous of my ex colleagues lived in the area, it was one of the worst areas for property place collapses in the last few years, and it apparently is a bit short on schooling from what I hear? (Taking this from a fact that a colleague had to send his son to Ballygarvan NS?) I used to cat sit for a friend there and it is a bleak and horrible place.

Hope none of your ex colleagues read this seeing as they live in "a bleak and horrible place"

To the OP,obviously when buying in any area a day and night trip will soon tell you all you need to know wheather its right for you, your needs and any future plans.
    This applies obviously to any place be it montenotte,glanmire or Carrigaline.

Regards,

Kmb

• Registered Users Posts: 24 foresthill

Hi,
    Yea i bought a House there. A 3 bed Semi for 240,000 Euro. It was Finished to a high Standard and all snags completed quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

foresthill wrote: »
    Hi,
    Yea i bought a House there. A 3 bed Semi for 240,000 Euro. It was Finished to a high Standard and all snags completed quickly.

Convenient..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 confusiuos

just wondering forresthill, did you get a bargin on the house? I am looking there too, just wondering who you dealt with, and if they were willing to move on the price
    Thanks

Hi, i did try to bargin for a while, started at €200 for a semi 3 bed....But no go, i paid €240 k for the House. I move in last few Months.. houses finished very Good. i had no major probs with them. I dealt with Eileen who works for astra.. Let me know how you get on.. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

im finding it hard to swallow that u paid exactly the asking price?

not even 5 grand off the asking, its not as if these houses are flying off the shelves so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Hi, i did try to bargin for a while, started at €200 for a semi 3 bed....But no go, i paid €240 k for the House. I move in last few Months.. houses finished very Good. i had no major probs with them. I dealt with Eileen who works for astra.. Let me know how you get on.. Thanks

sounds like you should have got a staff discount off the asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Rang Eileen.
    She hung up on me when I mentioned you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭See Ye

mikom wrote: »
    Rang Eileen.
    She hung up on me when I mentioned you.

lol

I have a couple of friends who bought a place in Forest Hill about 3 years ago. Nice quality place, no complaints of bad workmanship but the fact that on their block of about 20 houses only 2 others are actually occupied while the other houses still have that blue plastic on the windows means that it'll be a long, long time before the place ever has a sense of community about the place.

Hi just wondering if you purchased that house in Forest Hill ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

foresthill, you have been clearly outed as some kind of shill

who clearly has vested interests in the forest hill development

whats wrong, having difficulty shifting them for 240k?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement