Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Todays Rabbit 216m 6 kmph wind speed, not a record but then what is??

Options
  • 28-03-2010 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭

I was out shooting today and I thought, what is the longest recorded kill of a rabbit or fox in Ireland. My personal best is 350m. That is not amazing just hard to get rabbits at the ranges I want. Either they are at 1000 or between 150 and 350 as a norm on the land I shoot.

Anybody can shoot paper as it stays still and is where you want it.
    Rabbits tend to move, so too foxes grey crows and magpies.

My longest kill Magpie was 217 metres. He only stayed still for half a second to get a shot off.

I have read a lot of you guys like long range varminting.
    I would just be interested in perhaps starting a league table.
    I know of a few folks who have shot rabbits out to 500 metres or yards with a riflecraft .243.

I'd just be interested to see the differences with Factory ammo and standard rifle Vs Custom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I was out shooting today and I thought, what is the longest recorded kill of a rabbit or fox in Ireland. My personal best is 350m. That is not amazing just hard to get rabbits at the ranges I want. Either they are at 1000 or between 150 and 350 as a norm on the land I shoot.

Anybody can shoot paper as it stays still and is where you want it.
    Rabbits tend to move, so too foxes grey crows and magpies.

My longest kill Magpie was 217 metres. He only stayed still for half a second to get a shot off.

I have read a lot of you guys like long range varminting.
    I would just be interested in perhaps starting a league table.
    I know of a few folks who have shot rabbits out to 500 metres or yards with a riflecraft .243.

I'd just be interested to see the differences with Factory ammo and standard rifle Vs Custom

I know the Tikka Boy's will deffo have a major input ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I know jwshooter shot a rabbit at 705 yards with a Tikka Lite .243. That's the longest I know of. Hoping to find a few places for long shots on rabbits over the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

mines is 610 yards on a black backed gull
    542 yards on a wild goat
    311 yards on a fox
    525 on a greycrow-all with 243 and 85 grain sierras except the fox and that was with a 223 and 40 grain v max.

and for an inanimate object 1230 yards on a clay pigeon , but I used three shots to get in on it with my savage 12 f.tr and a 155 grain sierra palma.

I know jwshooter shot a rabbit at 705 yards with a Tikka Lite .243. That's the longest I know of. Hoping to find a few places for long shots on rabbits over the summer.

I have a few nice places in South westmeath and North and west offaly.

If this thread goes well we might even set up a Varminting group :D
    Especially due to the fact it is currently 19:13 and there is plenty enough light to shoot bunnies. Sooner my supplier gets me my ammo the better.
    I am down to 8 rounds Moly .223 with the promise of more on the way.

And of course some vids would be excellent, however I have no video camera so i will rely on others to post.

I'd love to see a mag or a grey Crow being popped, .223 when hit central body mass puts feathers to the clouds lol

I have a few nice places in South westmeath and North and west offaly.

If this thread goes well we might even set up a Varminting group :D
    Especially due to the fact it is currently 19:13 and there is plenty enough light to shoot bunnies. Sooner my supplier gets me my ammo the better.
    I am down to 8 rounds Moly .223 with the promise of more on the way.

And of course some vids would be excellent, however I have no video camera so i will rely on others to post.

I'd love to see a mag or a grey Crow being popped, .223 when hit central body mass puts feathers to the clouds lol

I'm waiting on a similar delivery. Hopefully will be in when I get back from the Isle of Man, then a varminting meet up sounds good. The .25-06 is well capable out to a fairly substantial range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ghostmantra

280 yards on a fox.243 sako
    160 yards on rabbit (today).243 sako
    106 yards on gray crow.22lr cz
    but if target presented it self further away i would hope to do the business:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

ITM ,how did u work out with the mounts ? .

iv a fox at 400 and a grey crow at the same distance. with a 110gr v max in the 270.
    iv feathers on a grey crow at 930 ,but thats all it was :mad:.

my long range shooting buddys have shots on rabbits over 500yds.

we shoot a lot of long range balloons ,its great crack and you will learn a lot.

best not talk about shooting large game at long range .

jwshooter wrote: »
    ITM ,how did u work out with the mounts ? .

iv a fox at 400 and a grey crow at the same distance. with a 110gr v max in the 270.
    iv feathers on a grey crow at 930 ,but thats all it was :mad:.

my long range shooting buddys have shots on rabbits over 500yds.

we shoot a lot of long range balloons ,its great crack and you will learn a lot.

best not talk about shooting large game at long range .

College work has me stuck around here and I'm off to the Isle of Man this week, so only been able to hopefully fix things so far. Was onto JL, he suggested I try re-mount the scope first with Loctite, so I've done that. Am currently waiting for ammo to come in to zero it and burst some clays out to long ranges, hopefully it holds solid now. If I need to buy new mounts, I'll know after that. Want lower ones, so may be buying over the summer anyway.

my 50mm bell in about 2mm off the barrel .

my 50mm bell in about 2mm off the barrel .

More what I'm looking for. Mine's about 11mm at the moment.

• Advertisement

College work has me stuck around here and I'm off to the Isle of Man this week, so only been able to hopefully fix things so far. Was onto JL, he suggested I try re-mount the scope first with Loctite, so I've done that. Am currently waiting for ammo to come in to zero it and burst some clays out to long ranges, hopefully it holds solid now. If I need to buy new mounts, I'll know after that. Want lower ones, so may be buying over the summer anyway.

I had a problem with mounts opening allen heads loosening on mounts with windage. I changed the mounts to Burris mounts tactical. they have a heavy duty nut to bolt onto mounting rail and six screws per ring.

They have not stirred since.
    Burris scopes may not be brilliant but they make great mounts.

I'm waiting on a similar delivery. Hopefully will be in when I get back from the Isle of Man, then a varminting meet up sounds good. The .25-06 is well capable out to a fairly substantial range.

I agree a varmint meet up sounds good.
    I always wanted a .25/06 but I have 4 firearms at the mo so If I want one more I have to spend a lot on security etc.

I might swap my varmint scope from my .223 to my .308 to see if the heavy round can push the envelope.

I'm trying to get 110gr Hornady Tap .308 for varminting but waiting on same .223 Hornady shipment.
    The only problem is the .308 is not silenced remington VTR and one shot and bunnies disappear.
    Where as the .223 gives a follow up shot.

Well you're welcome to a look at mine sometime. It's a good round, very, very flat-shooting.

Well you're welcome to a look at mine sometime. It's a good round, very, very flat-shooting.

I almost bought one once. I'm doing college part time at the mo so free time is limited, but exams are over in a few weeks and that leaves me with 3 days on adverage off a week.

I wonder it the back of nowhere listed on my GPS? lol

If only it was like Texas and I could have as many rifles as I want!
    All the land I shoot on is owned by relatives or friends so I can bring a mate no probs
    Once I don't get my permissions poached, I brought a Rossie out once and a few weeks later I saw him and HIS mates shooting on my uncles land !
    But as I said he was from Roscommon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shanmoll308

Hey Guys,

Long range varminting got me into long range target shooting. As putting a target out every 100 yards to check my bullet drop and group size to make my drop chart, got as interesting as shooting varmints themselves. My personal best to date..

845 yard rabbit (Savage F/TR 308, Leupold VXIII long range 8.5-25 x 50)
    Bullet drop: 21.5 MOA.
    525 yard fox (Remington 220 Swift, Nightforce NXS 8-32 X 50)
    Bullet drop: 7.25 MOA.
    460 yard Grey crow (220 Swift)
    Bullet drop: 5.5 MOA

Shanmoll308

More what I'm looking for. Mine's about 11mm at the moment.

i would not put loctite on it BTW

i would not put loctite on it BTW

I'm hoping it'll solve my problems until I can afford new mounts, which I'll be getting someone else to install, to eliminate possible errors on my part. I'll know in a couple of weeks when I get more ammo.

if the mounts are tight glueing them will not help.

Hey Guys,

Long range varminting got me into long range target shooting. As putting a target out every 100 yards to check my bullet drop and group size to make my drop chart, got as interesting as shooting varmints themselves. My personal best to date..

Shanmoll308

So do you think we should start a varmnt group?
    I love varminting as I like reactive targets. And all farmers like to see rabbits controlled as they destroy fields with warrens if let.

That's an amazing rabbit shot, although your grey crow is better as I know they do twitch and move and never stay still

I'm new to MOA
    My scope derivations are in 1/4 inch @100 yards
    yet the cross hairs have .2 MOA @100

I suppose I may figure it out if I want to match your confirmed hits.

Hey Guys,

Shanmoll308

thats good shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shanmoll308

Hey Tackleberrywho

If you like reactive targets I have got one for you. Get two clay pigeons, mix a small amount of cement and put into one of the clays and mark it with a marker. Fill the other with lime dust and stick the two together. Place out at long distance keeping the clay with the marker facing you. The concrete causes the bullet to fragment on impact and you get a nice puff of white smoke from the lime dust. :D

And yes I think that a varmint group would be a great idea and if anyone else has any other ideas for reactive targets or would like to share what they do for some long range fun I would be glad to hear.

Shanmoll308.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Hey Guys,

Shanmoll308
    Amazing shootin, 845 yd rabbit:D (cool) Quit the day job and join the US navy snipers. ;)

Hey Tackleberrywho

If you like reactive targets I have got one for you. Get two clay pigeons, mix a small amount of cement and put into one of the clays and mark it with a marker. Fill the other with lime dust and stick the two together. Place out at long distance keeping the clay with the marker facing you. The concrete causes the bullet to fragment on impact and you get a nice puff of white smoke from the lime dust. :D

And yes I think that a varmint group would be a great idea and if anyone else has any other ideas for reactive targets or would like to share what they do for some long range fun I would be glad to hear.

Shanmoll308.
    We used to use Golf balls
    Hit ball on right it goes left and vise versa
    Dead on it fragments

like your idea, may try it, I once shot a Heineken mini keg, very dramatic lol

Looks like The varmint Express group has been formed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

We used to use Golf balls
    Hit ball on right it goes left and vise versa
    Dead on it fragments

like your idea, may try it, I once shot a Heineken mini keg, very dramatic lol

Looks like The varmint Express group has been formed ;)
    Cans of expanding foam are some craic lol:D Expensive shootin tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Hey Guys,

Shanmoll308

thats great shooting, some shot on a rabbit

kay 9 wrote: »
    Cans of expanding foam are some craic lol:D Expensive shootin tho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIAqq3-vJuU

A bit American, but funny lol

Clay bricks are also quite good as when they bust the leave only dust behind them.
    The youtube clip a bit harder to clean up lol;)

What should we call this group?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Count me in.......Sounds like a bit of fun for ya lunch time;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

that sounds like some good clean fun, can i play:D

would it be a case of bring what you got or would it be broken up into .223, .243. 308. etc. with out getting to complicated.

where would it be held and when

• Advertisement

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    that sounds like some good clean fun, can i play:D

would it be a case of bring what you got or would it be broken up into .223, .243. 308. etc. with out getting to complicated.

where would it be held and when

Ah, that'd take all the fun out of it. Anything that sends lead downrange, no differentiation or anything. It's all going to be shooter skill anyway to hit crows and bunnies out at 500+ yards.

Advertisement