Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Todays Rabbit 216m 6 kmph wind speed, not a record but then what is??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Ah, that'd take all the fun out of it. Anything that sends lead downrange, no differentiation or anything. It's all going to be shooter skill anyway to hit crows and bunnies out at 500+ yards.

I think all calibers should be included
    And then a true comparison could be made between calibers and scope combo's

But special awards for .223 over 500 yards as it is the baby of the group.
    Try and get moderated rifles though because if a few lads arrive in a field and start making a lot of noise it can attract the wrong kind of attention, and discourage bunnies from popping out of their burrows

It will be interesting to compare different twist rate rifles and see who's can go further accurately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

we play a game .

3 of us put out balloons at un known ranges in random places . just blow them up the tie them to grass,heather etc.

a bit of baby powder ,or red builders chalk in the balloons gives good effect.

we all lie down ,i call the shot for the man next to me .like blue beside the big stone at about 500 yds .he has a shot to hit it,if he missed i shoot if i miss the other lad shoots etc.

we shoot .22 out to 300yds its as good a crack ,but its hard to see thes strike at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Anybody can shoot paper as it stays still and is where you want it.

I've shot a 75/75 on paper at 1200yds, iron sights with a 20" bull (from memory) but as you say, that's easy as paper stands still :rolleyes:

demonloop wrote: »
    I've shot a 75/75 on paper at 1200yds, iron sights with a 20" bull (from memory) but as you say, that's easy as paper stands still :rolleyes:

I'm not dissing iron sights
    To the contary, fair play. I know a few guys who are great at it. I'm short sighted in one eye and half blind in the other so I can't use iron sights.
    I use a green thruglo bed on my shotgun for same reason.

Hence when I discovered that Nightforce made a scope high mag I said that was the scope for me.
    now I have two of them.
    I know guys who use iron sights and are world class shots.
    I have fired two different machine guns with Iron sights and my old swedish mauser.
    I can hit a plate size target @ 100m. Thats the best i can do.
    What I meant was using 32max scope on paper @400 and a rabbit is much different! Magpies and grey crows even harder due to the fact they never stay still.

But if you want you can shoot with us hooligans. Iron sight Rabbit @1200 Now that would be a Guinness book of records!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

hi lads. has anyone got any idea how we could bring this together.
    there seams to be a lot off people on here with the same idea .

will it be possible for a bunch of us to get together and work something out;)

• Advertisement

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    hi lads. has anyone got any idea how we could bring this together.
    there seams to be a lot off people on here with the same idea .

will it be possible for a bunch of us to get together and work something out;)

Could some one ring Met Eireann and ask them whats the story with the weather?

Feckin Snowing here in offaly at the mo!!
    And windy as FCUK so not ideal for org'ing a shoot.
    Although for the hard chaw's by all means :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

In a standing position with a .22lr my longest shot has been 145 yards approximately (Range finder). I was pretty proud that I took a shot like that off the shoulder :P

Longest shot in a prone position is about 210 yards. My brother took the best shot I have seen with the .22lr. He poped this rabbit at about 240 yards that was grazing behind a log. All you I could see was two ears. The rabbit barely put his head over the log when my brother took the shot. I thought he missed until we went and checked the area. Low and behold there's the rabbit with a hole in its head. "You jammy git" was my response... :P

In a standing position with a .22lr my longest shot has been 145 yards approximately (Range finder). I was pretty proud that I took a shot like that off the shoulder :P

Longest shot in a prone position is about 210 yards. My brother took the best shot I have seen with the .22lr. He poped this rabbit at about 240 yards that was grazing behind a log. All you I could see was two ears. The rabbit barely put his head over the log when my brother took the shot. I thought he missed until we went and checked the area. Low and behold there's the rabbit with a hole in its head. "You jammy git" was my response... :P

A guy I know from the Ireland f-class team MNSCI son shot balloons in front of my eyes @400 yards with an Anschutz .22lr in 2001.
    He had to aim 12 feet above the backstop to hit them. (some hold over)
    But there was a few of them at it and the spotter is the key. 3 feet let 1 foot high etc.
    These instructions are vital when one can not see the target.
    But a 240 yard bunny is something special with a 22lr, on a par with scoring a 25year old when you were 12.:D

333 stepped yards with a .22 using HV .on a mixi raddit 5th shot

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

jwshooter wrote: »
    333 stepped yards with a .22 using HV .on a mixi raddit 5th shot

:eek::eek::eek:

Jayzus I thought my 208 yards on a rabbit with the Hmr was good .

Great thread lads and some fantastic shooting by all aswell. Need to get out myself its being to long at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭murphy125

I know some (most) of you wont believe me but my dad shot a rabbit about 400 yards not joking with a cz 22lr

We need to get 6.5's Video man to confirm some of those Hits:D

I picked up 200rnds in j McB in Athlone this evening.
    All I need now is the 1.5inches of snow outside the door to disappear.
    On my way home from McB's I saw a major RTA on the M6 due to said same snow.

J Mcb has 400 40 grain Moly Coated in stock if any of you guys finding it hard to get some.
    I got 200 55grn so that will keep me going for the while.;)
    He even gave me a lovely Boars tusk key ring for having to wait a month and a half for Ammo ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

I have great idea,
    you probably won't agree with it,
    why don't you discuss this somewhere other than a public forum.

Dvs.

Dvs wrote: »
    I have great idea,

Dvs.
    Why not?
    Is a forum not the place for discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

I have great idea,

Dvs.

i think its a good idea that these lads have, its interesting to me at least anyway seeing what lads can do, i cant see anything illegal being talked about, care to explain why it shouldnt be on a public forum:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

320 yd bunny with me old cz 223 and a 215 yd maggy wit me 17hmr is about all I can brag about....
    But watch this space...things are going to get interesting this summer....

I have great idea,

Dvs.
    WHY?

dwighet wrote: »
    320 yd bunny with me old cz 223 and a 215 yd maggy wit me 17hmr is about all I can brag about....
    But watch this space...things are going to get interesting this summer....

215 yard maggie is impressive as they only sit still for seconds. rabbits give minutes.

What kind of CZ?
    was it a varmint or sporter?
    I never fired these -22 cal's
    Although if you youtube .17 vs coke can very funny

Actually, Coke can's make SAVAGE Reactive targets :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I reckon DVS is advising ye that the DOJ and others look in here and organising this type of thing might be regarded as organised "target" shooting in an unauthorised place which is now outlawed by the new legislation.

In the same way a Super used a video/s on U Tube to hassle some shooters elsewhere in the country :(

I reckon DVS is advising ye that the DOJ and others look in here and organising this type of thing might be regarded as organised "target" shooting in an unauthorised place which is now outlawed by the new legislation.

In the same way a Super used a video/s on U Tube to hassle some shooters elsewhere in the country :(

Well why did he not say that!
    we are talking about hunting, But we will not use any vids.
    That is a good learning outcome from yourself.

It is not illegal (yet) to go hunting on lands where one owns or has the permission to control vermin on.
    The reason we all have handles is because we are not named, nor are our locations
    Also we could all be lieing :D
    I once caught a Fish this big :D:D:D

But thanks for the heads up!
    So guidelines laid out, No shooting targets unless on an authorised range, We may revert to rabbits :D

• Advertisement

215 yard maggie is impressive as they only sit still for seconds. rabbits give minutes.

What kind of CZ?
    was it a varmint or sporter?
    I never fired these -22 cal's
    Although if you youtube .17 vs coke can very funny

Actually, Coke can's make SAVAGE Reactive targets :D

Cz 527 varmint 223 and the 17 was a cz 453 american.........
    Dont have em any more..:(

Well why did he not say that!

That's the way he is on here :rolleyes:
    we are talking about hunting, But we will not use any vids.

TBH maybe we're being paranoid BUT "Big Brother" trolls here all the time and what they don't know won't trouble them ;)
    That is a good learning outcome from yourself.

:confused: explain please?
    It is not illegal (yet) to go hunting on lands where one owns or has the permission to control vermin on.

As you say "yet" BUT it is illegal to shoot "targets" ?
    The reason we all have handles is because we are not named, nor are our locations

You'd be surprised how easy it is here to gather info. on us from our comments here and figure out who we are/might be :eek:
    Also we could all be lieing :D

We do, all the time :p
    I once caught a Fish this big :D:D:D

Mine was bigger :p
    But thanks for the heads up!

No hassle ;)
    So guidelines laid out, No shooting targets unless on an authorised range, We may revert to rabbits :D

Shame it is like this but we are almost outcasts in society and according to the minister criminals or possible criminals :rolleyes:

if this is to progress . no talk of shoot any thing bigger than a fox .

no talk of long range deer etc.

possible even leave it at rabbits , grey crows ,magpies .

DVds has a point.

jwshooter wrote: »
    if this is to progress . no talk of shoot any thing bigger than a fox .

no talk of long range deer etc.

possible even leave it at rabbits , grey crows ,magpies .

DVds has a point.

Too right m8

dwighet wrote: »
    Too right m8

This is for Varminting
    Varmint rifle is an American English term for a small-caliber firearm or high-powered air gun primarily used for varmint hunting—killing animals such as rats, birds, squirrels, gophers and other animals considered to be farm pests

Grey crows and maggers eat the old man animal feed.
    Foxes eat the neighbors sheep.
    Grey squirrels are open season

In my previous post, I meant I had learned from what was said.
    The gardai know i am a good clean living guy and i shoot vermin for anybody who wants it done.
    I have never had hassle for that reason.
    I am incredibly safe and take safety very seriously.
    all the land I shoot on I have permission to enter at will as the guys know as a non Pale'er I obey the law of the land.

I even rescued sheep from a drain for one and he say me do it!
    Another calf got out under an electric fence. I put him into a shed and called the farmer to let him know.

If we mind our Farmer friends they will mind us :)

And my deer shooting permissions get a few bottles of wine every christmas and a box of bikkies

This is for Varminting
    Varmint rifle is an American English term for a small-caliber firearm or high-powered air gun primarily used for varmint hunting—killing animals such as rats, birds, squirrels, gophers and other animals considered to be farm pests

Grey crows and maggers eat the old man animal feed.
    Foxes eat the neighbors sheep.
    Grey squirrels are open season

In my previous post, I meant I had learned from what was said.
    The gardai know i am a good clean living guy and i shoot vermin for anybody who wants it done.
    I have never had hassle for that reason.
    I am incredibly safe and take safety very seriously.
    all the land I shoot on I have permission to enter at will as the guys know as a non Pale'er I obey the law of the land.

I even rescued sheep from a drain for one and he say me do it!
    Another calf got out under an electric fence. I put him into a shed and called the farmer to let him know.

If we mind our Farmer friends they will mind us :)

And my deer shooting permissions get a few bottles of wine every christmas and a box of bikkies

Anybody shoot any rabbits over the past few days?
    Weather has been conducive to bunnies.
    did anybody on here ever recrown their barrel to improve accuracy?
    I had my crown under a magnifying glass the other night and noticed that it was slightly off From the factory! So I might give Figgy @ http://www.irelandcustomrifle.com/ the barrel to improve it.

I have my cheek piece done now, re-crown and Timney trigger next. The Jury is still out on paint job. I don't want the paint to peel off like an onion so I am still researching that!

Too early for shooting bunnies

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Anybody shoot any rabbits over the past few days?
    Weather has been conducive to bunnies.
    did anybody on here ever recrown their barrel to improve accuracy?
    I had my crown under a magnifying glass the other night and noticed that it was slightly off From the factory! So I might give Figgy @ http://www.irelandcustomrifle.com/ the barrel to improve it.

I have my cheek piece done now, re-crown and Timney trigger next. The Jury is still out on paint job. I don't want the paint to peel off like an onion so I am still researching that!

I hope he does a better job on your barrel than he did on the Website. :o

clivej wrote: »
    I hope he does a better job on your barrel than he did on the Website. :o

In regards to bunnies, I shoot on a 600acre area close to my home, and I am the only shooter so I rotate which fields I shoot. Also there is a large population and the farmer encourages me to keep them under control.

in regards to Figgy's site.
    He is a Tool maker by profession not a web designer.
    And since he was in the work shop with me the other night until midnight he has not time to learn!

He has an amazing set up, he's an RFD so he can get you parts as well.
    I saw some of his creations and i was in awe and i come from an Engineering background so I appreciate his talents.

I could never turn out thread or chambers on a lathe like he can.
    he opened my eyes to how a bog standard remmy can be upgraded to a serious piece of kit that would put a lot of factory stuff to shame.

He is a craftsman on a Lathe and a Mill and he has the use of an EDM which he can machine out seriously slick designs and include engraving on rifles.

eg Clives baby or Clives .223!

• Advertisement
Advertisement