Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modding original xbox - have UnleashX. What next?

• 28-03-2010 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've modded my xbox with the UnleashX dash using Splinter Cell game exploit. I know of XBMC etc. But just looking for opinions on the stages of modding so to speak.

For instance
    1. Install UnleashX via Ndure's SID installer.
    That's as far as I am

So what would be the next thing? Replace the HDD? The main aim would be to have an N64 emulator running the old n64 games I still have in the house. As much as having the xbox on a house network sounds great that wouldn't be possible, so I don't know of how much use installing XBMC would be.

I might look at ftping to the xbox (via a crossover cable link)instead. Again, this would probably only be worthwhile with a larger hdd.

What do you all think?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

There are a huge amount of emulators available for the Xbox1 once yea have it modded. Ranging from Spectrum 48k to Arcade machines (via MAME).

With the standard HDD in the Xbox1 yea still have a few gigabytes of space to play with. No need to upgrade yet, well not until yea fill up the standard machine :)
    I found it a lot easier once I softmodded a machine (after a long time just hardmodding) to then flash the onboard BIOS chip or the TSOP as it is called. Removes the worry should the main HDD bork or should yea mess up the softmod dashboard hack.

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I'd still go xbmc at this stage, basically there is nothing that unleash can do that xbmc cant, and there is plenty that xbmc can that unleash cant, it has a nicer UI too.

Before you put xbmc on, backup your eeprom, i think there is something in unleashx to do this for you...

According to my former self these are the instructions to do it I've long stopped using that method to upgrading the hard drive so im not really sure anymore.

here is an almost complete guide to installing a new hard drive. Search for xboxhdm1.9 on google

The consoledoc revoery cd (only v1 unfortunately) can be found here, I might be able to upload v1.1 remotely (it on my computer at home, only difference is 1.1 contains the splinter cell files for the softmod already)

The rest should be ok, if there is anything missing give me a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭juanjo

I use Unleashx since it is easy to modify and I have my xbox inside of an arcade cab.

I personally like the option of putting a password in an element of the menu.

But if you aren't interested in editing menus and so, XBMC is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Great stuff. Thanks for the info.

So I've got everything I need to do the hdd swap using the app Chimp which you can launch from the xbox, only need to open the xbox, no pc opening required.

I've heard and read about the LBA48 issue with drives >137gb. What's the craic with a xbox softmodded using Ndure's SID installer? My xbox is a 1.4v. Any ideas if this has lba48 support? I reckon I'll just put the new hdd and see what I get...

• Advertisement

Nevermind the above post, all solved.

I'd still go xbmc at this stage, basically there is nothing that unleash can do that xbmc cant, and there is plenty that xbmc can that unleash cant, it has a nicer UI too.

There is one thing I can think of that UnleashX does that, as far as I am aware, XBMC can't and that is
    something I can't put into words

I put in the new hdd and then installed xbmc as an app. Didn't take long to decide to make it boot first via the shortcut install using the method in the xbmc manual. Now have XBMC booting first and UnleashX as an app when needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

fobster wrote: »
    There is one thing I can think of that UnleashX does that, as far as I am aware, XBMC can't and that is
    something I can't put into words

I put in the new hdd and then installed xbmc as an app. Didn't take long to decide to make it boot first via the shortcut install using the method in the xbmc manual. Now have XBMC booting first and UnleashX as an app when needed.

I am pretty sure that the xbmc can do it ;)

Ah my awareness doesn't appear to go far enough...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭Hangover

fobster wrote: »
    Ah my awareness doesn't appear to go far enough...

XBMC can do a lot more than you probably realise, i 'm still finding new tricks after 15 months of my first install.:cool:

• Advertisement

xbmc can't show video previews for games afaik.

juanjo wrote: »
    xbmc can't show video previews for games afaik.

By previews do you mean the video intro at the start of a game ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

docentore wrote: »
    I am pretty sure that the xbmc can do it ;)

Text editor. UnleashX has it. Plus some things for changing NTSC/PAL video mode when running certain things. It's got a more techy slant.

I have an X3 setup to boot XBMC by default, with UnleashX as a fall-back for when I need to do fiddling, or cleanly upgrade XBMC (T3CH scripts running inside XBMC don't work nicely for me) backing up the library etc.

Avalaunch had some nice things, but it died years ago.

Hangover wrote: »
    By previews do you mean the video intro at the start of a game ?

Nope, a short video for each game when navigating through your game library.

Nope, a short video for each game when navigating through your game library.

Its possible, i have over 1000 arcade games on my xbox and at least 80% of them have a short looping video while browsing. You would need to take a kind of video snapshot for each game and either have it in the file or in a cache somewhere.

Hi hangover, you're saying you can watch preview videos of your arcade games from XBMC? afaik what people do they create a little xml file called cutfile with info pointing to a wide icon, rom and a command line to launch it with the required emulator.

If you're talking about unleashx, well, that's another 5 cent.

Hi hangover, you're saying you can watch preview videos of your arcade games from XBMC? afaik what people do they create a little xml file called cutfile with info pointing to a wide icon, rom and a command line to launch it with the required emulator.

If you're talking about unleashx, well, that's another 5 cent.

Well not quite, i use Coinops Reignite (based on mame ) that i launch from XBMC. Once in coinops in game list there are short vids of the game that loop as you browse thru the games. Since this is working thru XBMC it must be possible to do the same with xbox games that are on the hdd, you either need a small video in each game folder or a folder that holds all the videos with a path that links to the game.

Hangover wrote: »
    Once in coinops...

Yeah, but that is not XBMC, is coinops, that actually supports video previews. In fact I was reading about this emu the other day, latest versions support console games as well (certain consoles, psx and n64 are not yet supported), and allows you to launch .xbe files (including xbox games) from coinops GUI.

The good thing with this GUI is the built-in database that allows you to organize the games in many ways, allowing you to update your favorites and so. Well that, the video previews, skinning and so.

Yeah, but that is not XBMC, is coinops, that actually supports video previews. In fact I was reading about this emu the other day, latest versions support console games as well (certain consoles, psx and n64 are not yet supported), and allows you to launch .xbe files (including xbox games) from coinops GUI.

The good thing with this GUI is the built-in database that allows you to organize the games in many ways, allowing you to update your favorites and so. Well that, the video previews, skinning and so.

Yes but if its doeable in one program the same can be done in another since its built on the same structure.

What you're saying is that with the xbox platform and a devkit you should be able to create an app that does it. That is obvious.

I never said it couldn't be doable, I said at the moment you can't do it. I'm not a XBMC developer, and the xbmc build updates are less and less common. If you want to code + compile a version of xbmc is up to you, I'm not stopping anyone from doing it. :)

But ATM, you can't.

• Advertisement

What you're saying is that with the xbox platform and a devkit you should be able to create an app that does it. That is obvious.

I never said it couldn't be doable, I said at the moment you can't do it. I'm not a XBMC developer, and the xbmc build updates are less and less common. If you want to code + compile a version of xbmc is up to you, I'm not stopping anyone from doing it. :)

But ATM, you can't.

Yep, just saying that if it was wanted by enough people it would be possible, but then xbmc is not a gaming platform so it will probably never happen, its just doable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Just reading through your posts here..
    I would be interested to find out if you can make the xbox into a Emu for N64.
    Man i love Goldeneye :)
    Is this actually possible for the xbox?

Also As far as I've done with my own xbox is just use it as a media server.. does the job indeed...

Nemeses wrote: »
    Just reading through your posts here..
    I would be interested to find out if you can make the xbox into a Emu for N64.
    Man i love Goldeneye :)
    Is this actually possible for the xbox?

Also As far as I've done with my own xbox is just use it as a media server.. does the job indeed...

Cant remember if there is an N64 emu or not, have a look over at

1emulation.com .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

cheers Hangover - I'll have a nose at that site.
    In return for your kindness...I'll give you a paracetamol!;)

Advertisement