Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm cinemas!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

And numbers going to the cinema will continue to drop if its going to cost over 20 euro for your ticket, popcorn and a drink and not counting where some places charges for car parking.

I dont buy food at the cinema as I think they charge way too much.

I know cinemas are stopping people from bringing outside food in now also.

And if they raise the ticket prices people will jsut wait for the dvd as they are comgin out quicker and quicker now to stop illegal downloads

More comfort watching it at home now anyhow, no annoying phone rings or people talking during movie

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

On a side note, I've travelled through quite a few countries in south america, and the cinemas in all of them have a 'half price' wednesday or tuesday or whatever day, where the ticket in is half price. I've also heard of the same thing happening in Canada. Are Irish cinemas in a position to do the this i wonder? Dropping your prices can also increase profits, bit I wonder do the cinemas here know that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I had a rip-off cinema experience this evening when I went to see the Clash of the Titans in 3D, firstly I booked by Credit Card as it was opening night and was afraid it might be sold out as it is Good Friday and I figured people will be at the cinema as it is a quite day. I paid €11 each for the tickets prices at the counter are €10.50 so for booking on the phone or online there is a 50 cent surcharge.

However I think the real sucker punch came when I was asked €1 for the 3D glasses, which is a thundering disgrace as most cinemas absorb the cost of the glasses and give them out free. Another women in the counter was giving out about it also, and neither of us had ever encountered this before. Total gouging charging €1 for the glasses.

The Last film I saw was the Avatar and I paid €9.50 €9 + 50c Credit Card surcharge and the glasses were free for an afternoon screening, €11.50 for the evening. I had them with me tonight but bought the €1 set as it was a different cinema and I was afraid the projector might be incompatible with my Avatar glasses, I tested inside afterwards and there was no difference.

That represents a difference of €2.50 between ticket prices and I was in my local cinema this evening which was upgraded to 3D in February but I saw the Avatar in the next town. A small popcorn and coke (although a good size) costs €5.50 as "Take Three". I just got a popcorn as I had smuggled in my own Coke!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 LadyJedi

Gucky wrote: »
    That doesn't matter one iota to me!
    12.50 for one popcorn and drink equals a rip off!

Complete rip off, I love going to the cinema, it used to be a cheap night out, not any more!! I am sure all the advertising that is done in cinemas now helps them financially aswell, anyone else find it exceedingly annoying tho to see ads in cinemas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

baztard wrote: »
    On a side note, I've travelled through quite a few countries in south america, and the cinemas in all of them have a 'half price' wednesday or tuesday or whatever day, where the ticket in is half price. I've also heard of the same thing happening in Canada. Are Irish cinemas in a position to do the this i wonder? Dropping your prices can also increase profits, bit I wonder do the cinemas here know that.

It's not quite the same but the cinema in Dun Laoighre does student tuesdays where tickets to a standard flick are 4.50 (5.50 for 3D). I'm not often out that direction but any time I've been in there it's been PACKED. Popcorn is pretty reasonable too, don't think I paid more than a tenner between the movie and the food. It's also 4.50 Mon-Fri before 6pm if you have one of those Live4Less unemployment cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

Stinicker wrote: »
    I had a rip-off cinema experience this evening when I went to see the Clash of the Titans in 3D, firstly I booked by Credit Card as it was opening night and was afraid it might be sold out as it is Good Friday and I figured people will be at the cinema as it is a quite day. I paid €11 each for the tickets prices at the counter are €10.50 so for booking on the phone or online there is a 50 cent surcharge.

However I think the real sucker punch came when I was asked €1 for the 3D glasses, which is a thundering disgrace as most cinemas absorb the cost of the glasses and give them out free. Another women in the counter was giving out about it also, and neither of us had ever encountered this before. Total gouging charging €1 for the glasses.

The Last film I saw was the Avatar and I paid €9.50 €9 + 50c Credit Card surcharge and the glasses were free for an afternoon screening, €11.50 for the evening. I had them with me tonight but bought the €1 set as it was a different cinema and I was afraid the projector might be incompatible with my Avatar glasses, I tested inside afterwards and there was no difference.

That represents a difference of €2.50 between ticket prices and I was in my local cinema this evening which was upgraded to 3D in February but I saw the Avatar in the next town. A small popcorn and coke (although a good size) costs €5.50 as "Take Three". I just got a popcorn as I had smuggled in my own Coke!

count your blessings. in Italy lately they are asking for 2euro only for the glasses. AND YOU HAVE TO GIVE THEM BACK AFTER THE MOVIE!
    THAT is literally a ripoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

nmesisca wrote: »
    count your blessings. in Italy lately they are asking for 2euro only for the glasses. AND YOU HAVE TO GIVE THEM BACK AFTER THE MOVIE!
    THAT is literally a ripoff.

Did they literally rip them off your face?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

Did they literally rip them off your face?

they ripped them off my parents and all the other people present.. its apparently the norm.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

the_syco wrote: »
    This is correct. 90% of the price of the ticket goes to the company whom the cinema gets their reels from.

From the profits of the food sales they pay:
    maintenance of the cinema
    electricity
    staff wages
    etc, etc.

Don't like it? Don't buy it.
    Hmm Its true but I see why he see this as a rip.
    If you have ever been to lifflys vue, you may have encountered the fact that they dont care about you.

the frozen fanta machine never works, there toilets are broken half the time and they didn't even cleaned the place the last time I went, the seat were covered in popcorn, cola and so on, other time's the moves have been starting lates, if your paying that much, you should get a far better service.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Simple, just smuggle in your own snacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Simple, just smuggle in your own snacks.

Ssssssh

(that's against the rules)

Sssssssh

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pfy2k

Theres always someone in this Freestate, to standup for the Ripoff Ireland mentality! Just leave this depressing hole of a so called country, and dont look back!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

or better yet, invest in a home cinema. watching movies in the jocks! is there any greater joy

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pfy2k

How true! lol:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

12 quid :eek: I am actually gob smacked like no joke that is extortionate!! Down in my local cinema, it's €9 for the ticket and then you'd pay €6 for a popcorn and drink, which I still thought is pretty bad, since I've worked at that very cinema and I know how little cost and effort goes into actually making the popcorn! What's even worse is seeing people on here actually defending this sort of rape! Ridiculous!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dorgasm wrote: »
    What's even worse is seeing people on here actually defending this sort of rape! Ridiculous!!!
    What's ridiculous is calling it "rape", it is entirely consensual, just like so many of these "rip-offs".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

rubadub wrote: »
    What's ridiculous is calling it "rape", it is entirely consensual, just like so many of these "rip-offs".

Well I, personally, find it to be rape anyway! Like with so little to do (without resorting to drink), some people just have no choice but to go to the cinema and pay these prices! When I was 15 or 16, me and my friends used to hate having to pay so much just for a night in the cinema, and if we wanted popcorn and a drink we had to pay it! What's worse is that there used to be a ban on food bought outside the cinema !

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

just out of curiousity anyone have comparision prices between cinemsa?

12.50 a little rich to me
    It's about 9.40 for large popcorn and drink in Cineworld in Dublin, for the sake of comparison...

UCI's are €9.25 for a large combo

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dermotsull13

Was in Sarajevo last week while on holidays. Got a large popcorn,large coke and a ticket to see Robin Hood all for the equivalent of €5...

We are getting completely screwed in Ireland but there doesnt seem to be any value coming in the cinema. They know that with less people going out drinking etc that the cinema will always be busy and can charge crazy prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

You two guys above who are claiming I'm mistaken.
    You can guarantee I didn't pay 12.50 can you?

I can personally guarantee you both that I feckin well did pay 12.50 for large popcorn and coke!

Before you come back with answer that goes along the lines of, you where in said cinema last night etc........

I originally posted this in March..... Is now June
    if you were the manager of this cinema, and seen that your cinema was being named and shamed in a rip off forum, would you leave your prices unchecked?

I can assure both of you that in March of 2010 I and my wife were charged twelve euros and fifty cents for one large coke and one large popcorn!

My mistake.
    It's the same person, felt the urge to post twice about the same thing???
    You don't happen to work in/have something to do with storm cinema?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

You two guys above who are claiming I'm mistaken.
    You can guarantee I didn't pay 12.50 can you?

I can personally guarantee you both that I feckin well did pay 12.50 for large popcorn and coke!

Before you come back with answer that goes along the lines of, you where in said cinema last night etc........

I originally posted this in March..... Is now June
    if you were the manager of this cinema, and seen that your cinema was being named and shamed in a rip off forum, would you leave your prices unchecked?

I can assure both of you that in March of 2010 I and my wife were charged twelve euros and fifty cents for one large coke and one large popcorn!

They can't guarantee that you did or didn't pay the 12.50 but you can as you said in your OP that you didn't pay it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Just got back from the cinema a few mins ago.
    Storm cinema charging €12.50 for 1 x popcorn and drink???
    Before the trolls get ripped into me, I didn't pay for it, but this form is for rip offs and to make other members aware of potential rip offs!

Here we go.... its the original post where claims to have not paid for it

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »
    They can't guarantee that you did or didn't pay the 12.50 but you can as you said in your OP that you didn't pay it

Lol.

Yeah, sorry for confusion. I didn't personally pay for it, my better half did.
    Still though, what's mine is hers etc etc!

Advertisement