Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm cinemas!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Wow, thats crazy money! :eek:

Our local cinema(Omniplex) isnt as bad as that, but prices are still high, especially when you bring a couple of kids with you.
    We used to go to the cinema at least once a month, but now its more like once every 3 or 4 mths, and only if its a movie that really needs the cinema experience or if its a special occasion, like a birthday party.

Adult tickets are 8.50, kids 5.50, large combo meal is 7 quid i think. Ive seen more and more people bringing in their own popcorn and food, even though its not meant to be allowed, and im sure they're sales are down as a result.
    I bring a huge handbag and make popcorn at home(which is never stale or over-salted!) pop it into food bags, couple of bottles of water/coke etc, and we're good to go. ;)

I can never understand why they cant see it would be better to lower the prices and have more people spending, surely it makes more sense?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Wow, thats crazy money! :eek:

Our local cinema(Omniplex) isnt as bad as that, but prices are still high, especially when you bring a couple of kids with you.
    We used to go to the cinema at least once a month, but now its more like once every 3 or 4 mths, and only if its a movie that really needs the cinema experience or if its a special occasion, like a birthday party.

Adult tickets are 8.50, kids 5.50, large combo meal is 7 quid i think. Ive seen more and more people bringing in their own popcorn and food, even though its not meant to be allowed, and im sure they're sales are down as a result.
    I bring a huge handbag and make popcorn at home(which is never stale or over-salted!) pop it into food bags, couple of bottles of water/coke etc, and we're good to go. ;)

I can never understand why they cant see it would be better to lower the prices and have more people spending, surely it makes more sense?!

Exactly!
    Wouldn't it make much more sense to make a small profit from a LOT of customers, than make extortianate profit from the minority of folk who actually pay these prices and then go on to complain via rip off alerts!

Ireland needs to wake up and smell the coffee!

4euro is what I feel would be a fair price for large popcorn and coke! And I'm guessing that would STILL generate a 150% profit margin!
    I believe industrial sized bin bag of already popped popcorn can be bought for a euro bybthe cinemas, and coke from the machines costs a few cents a cup full!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Giggsy_

In case you all didn't know, the cinemas only make a profit on food. All the money that is paid for tickets goes straight back to the film companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Giggsy_ wrote: »
    In case you all didn't know, the cinemas only make a profit on food. All the money that is paid for tickets goes straight back to the film companies.
    Have you any source of this info? (other than the bloke down the pub)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Is there also any truth that the box the popcorn is in costs more than the popcorn itself?

The cost to the cinema for a large popcorn is 2c and the cost of the box is 3c?

€12.50 is crazy money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

rubadub wrote: »
    Have you any source of this info? (other than the bloke down the pub)

Saw something along those lines when Heston Blumenthal did his food revolution programme on cinemas. Also plenty of articles abound on google and even books on the subject.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2010/news/1001/gallery.americas_biggest_ripoffs/2.html

Book = "Why Popcorn costs so much at the movies and other pricing puzzles"
    Review = With exhaustive research and a wry sense of humor, University of California, Irvine professor Richard McKenzie probes the pricing questions that consumers so often fail to ask in Why Popcorn Costs So Much at the Movies. By distilling the effectiveness of commonly-held strategies, McKenzie illuminates the logic in the seemingly illogical and shakes the foundations of prevalent pricing myths. Are we really fooled by prices that end in 9? If holiday clearance sales are about excess inventory, wouldn't retailers hire better buyers the next year? And why do coffee shops offer free WiFi? Fans of Freakonomics will enjoy McKenzie's entertaining analysis, as you may never look at sales, coupons, rebates - or movie theater popcorn - the same way again.

Sounds like a good read - I think I'll order it and have a bag of popciorn whilst I read it :)

Advertisement