Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get an A or near it for the lc...

Options
  • 28-03-2010 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

....in any subject.

So.....
    I got a B1 in art and well, could i get an A1 or A2 this summer? It's pretty much the only one i have a shot of getting this mark.

Also do many people get an A in ol french?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

whelpy wrote: »
    So.....
    I got a B1 in art and well, could i get an A1 or A2 this summer? It's pretty much the only one i have a shot of getting this mark.
    I hate to brust your bubble but art is one of the toughest subjects to get an A1 in; only about 1% of students manage it.
    I mean, I don't know anything about your ability, and you might be very capable of getting an A1, but I wouldn't be betting on it. Frankly in art, a B1 is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭whelpy

I got 85/100 in the craftwork (poster) and in the imaginative comp.
    35/50 for sitting model and 18/50 for sitting pose
    109/150 for art history, mostly stupid mistakes

Im happy with the mark, it's just i couldn't get it in my other subjects

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

whelpy wrote: »

Also do many people get an A in ol french?

0.2% of those who sat OL LC French in 2009 got an A.
    1.4% got an A2.

Statistics. (.pdf file)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

spurious wrote: »
    0.2% of those who sat OL LC French in 2009 got an A.
    1.4% got an A2.

Statistics. (.pdf file)

compared to 31% getting an A1 in OL Russian.

More than half got either A1 or A2 in OL Russian

(i know only 19 did OL Russian ...but still)

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

pathway33 wrote: »
    compared to 31% getting an A1 in OL Russian.

More than half got either A1 or A2 in OL Russian

(i know only 19 did OL Russian ...but still)

71% sitting HL Russian got A1s'.......lets hope I can one of that statistic this year :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Wow 0.2% got an A1 for French, that is really dis-encouraging. Especially when I haven't done much so far. I'll focus more on my science subjects then (like them better anyway)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

H2student wrote: »
    Wow 0.2% got an A1 for French, that is really dis-encouraging. Especially when I haven't done much so far. I'll focus more on my science subjects then (like them better anyway)

The thing is, most of the people who could get an A1 in OL French would instead be trying the HL paper, so that skews figures somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭whelpy

:facepalm:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 JESCANDYMAN

any tips for da french oral? honours? wat are they askin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭UnionOfV

any tips for da french oral? honours? wat are they askin?

Higher or ordinary? Higher it ranges from what buildings are in this school to what are your opinions on terrorism :p Ordinary it stays pretty basic, not yes/no but you can learn it all off. If your teacher hasn't given you notes yet.....

[EDIT] Wait 0.2% got A1's? Looks like I'll be in the top 0.2% then :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

Well I think the entire system is headed straight for an overhaul in relation to A grades being granted. But with Mary Coughlan holding the reigns? You've nothing to worry about.
    Before A1s were almost impossible to get. Only those students going to endless grind schools extra sessions who were already A students to start with, and those repeating the year were in with a shot. You really had to almost spill everything you knew onto the page.
    Recently its been more attainable. Simply study and work hard and familiarize with the exam question style and same with the marking schemes and type of answers looked for.

Subjects like languages and Art are difficult ones to get that formidable A1 because it depends on so much more than just hard work and memorizing.

Just do the ebst you can and dont put too much pressure on yourself. A B1 is a fantastic result in any subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

felic wrote: »
    Well I think the entire system is headed straight for an overhaul in relation to A grades being granted. But with Mary Coughlan holding the reigns? You've nothing to worry about.
    Before A1s were almost impossible to get. Only those students going to endless grind schools extra sessions who were already A students to start with, and those repeating the year were in with a shot. You really had to almost spill everything you knew onto the page.
    Recently its been more attainable. Simply study and work hard and familiarize with the exam question style and same with the marking schemes and type of answers looked for.

Subjects like languages and Art are difficult ones to get that formidable A1 because it depends on so much more than just hard work and memorizing.

Just do the ebst you can and dont put too much pressure on yourself. A B1 is a fantastic result in any subject.

In all fairness,only 2% of the country got 580 or over last year.Its not like As are being handed out lol

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

gant0 wrote: »
    71% sitting HL Russian got A1s'.......lets hope I can one of that statistic this year :(

Shouldn't be too difficult. I got grinds for it when I was in third year and it's really the easiest subject if you're fluent. All you need are the past papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 cork 111

much people get a's in german in the leaving ye know?! got a in my jc taugt i woud have gotten a B.,...

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

felic wrote: »

So what?Sure,more people are getting As now and they are easier to get but who cares?It balances out if it was that hard to get them before and that easy to get them now,then it doesnt matter.Competition has been and always will be fierce for top courses like med,dentistry,veterinary etc

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

I think its easy enough to get an A in the sciences if youre good at it.
    Same with pass maths:). (I really should be doing honours, though:o)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

stainluss wrote: »
    I think its easy enough to get an A in the sciences if youre good at it.
    Same with pass maths:). (I really should be doing honours, though:o)
    Science and Maths is different. It's marked 100% objectively. You're either wrong or right. In languages and art you're somewhat at the mercy of the examiner's impression.

Advertisement