Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Would you mind if I asked what night that was?

Just out of curiosity as we have different dj's on different nights so feedback on each one is always appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

kryogen wrote: »
    I should point out that its not soley 80's music played, its retro so there is are plenty of songs from the 60's and 70's also.

The having a look at other cocktail bars/lounge bars in the country is something to take on board alright

What happened the original advertising, Hendrix, the doors and the Roxy was mentioned !
    Sorry now but the music is dire in there, gave it a couple of tries but my mind is now made up, total crap

Nypd wrote: »
    What happened the original advertising, Hendrix, the doors and the Roxy was mentioned !
    Sorry now but the music is dire in there, gave it a couple of tries but my mind is now made up, total crap

tbf you seemed to have your mind made up from the very outset

Plenty of Hendrix/Doors etc... does get played :confused:

tbf you seemed to have your mind made up from the very outset

Yep your right I did say from the start it was a poor attempt to revive a bad spot

Yep your right I did say from the start it was a poor attempt to revive a bad spot

So you'll forgive me for thinking your opinion is biased and has been from the word go.

• Advertisement

So you'll forgive me for thinking your opinion is biased and has been from the word go.

You have already made that point !

If you would like me to elaborate,
    I thought it was a poor way of reviving a bad spot,
    I ventured in there on 3 occasions since it became mojo, and my opinion is now deemed biased because I have been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Lads where is this mojo place? Sorry I'm too lazy to read too far back, the effort of it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

michellie wrote: »
    Lads where is this mojo place? Sorry I'm too lazy to read too far back, the effort of it all.

Where Escape was, its part of the Revolution 'complex', if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Thanks, haven't been in there in a long time I'm not a massive fan of Revolution,although the food is nice!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

dayshah wrote: »
    When I heard the name 'mojo lounge' I had a vision of a place where you can seduce women (a bit like the bar in Crazy, Stupid, Love). The bar is laid out well for that, with comfy seats, and candles on tables. For me that's the meaning of Mojo.

But if I were to bring a woman there I wouldn't be able to talk to her, let alone dazzle her with my wit and charm. I think Mr. Flash should take a look at some of the other cocktail bars in the country, and imitate them.

Mojo is trying to be two things at once, an 80s bar and a cocktail bar, but I think the two cancel each other out. The 80s were probably the least sexy decade of the 20th century.

What are other good cocktail/lounge bars in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

sasta le wrote: »

Capitol in Dublin is good, and could work in Waterford. Café en Seine in Dublin is nice too, but a bit too posh and not as relaxed. I like Bodéga in Cork.

And of course Waterford venues needn't just restrict themselves to comparisons within Ireland, they can look to cool cocktail bars in places like France, Italy and Spain. The places locals go to rather than tourist traps. The cocktail prices charged in Mojo were more or less fair, so I think it could work here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Anyone know what drinks from 2.50 in the foundry means?

Is it a select few or most drinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

mdwexford wrote: »
    Anyone know what drinks from 2.50 in the foundry means?

Is it a select few or most drinks?

Yes select few

dayshah wrote: »
    sasta le wrote: »

Capitol in Dublin is good, and could work in Waterford. Café en Seine in Dublin is nice too, but a bit too posh and not as relaxed. I like Bodéga in Cork.

And of course Waterford venues needn't just restrict themselves to comparisons within Ireland, they can look to cool cocktail bars in places like France, Italy and Spain. The places locals go to rather than tourist traps. The cocktail prices charged in Mojo were more or less fair, so I think it could work here.

I was in Bodega a while back, it was more of a club than a cocktail bar, am I thinking of the right place, it's round the corner from mc Donald's on Patricks street ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

So what did everyone make of New Year's?

I went out for the first time in ages in Waterford.
    We went to Harvey's first. They were charging 2 euro in, 3 euro cloakroom and 4.90 for pints of Coors light, bottles of Coors light and bottles of Miller.

I'm told drinks there are usually cheaper and they jacked them up for the night that was in it. If so, very bad form and terrible PR for the place.

We went to the foundry instead, 5 euro in, 1 euro cloakroom, some drinks 2.50, others 3.50.

Seems like Harveys are shooting themselves in the foot with this practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Dan133269 wrote: »
    So what did everyone make of New Year's?

I went out for the first time in ages in Waterford.
    We went to Harvey's first. They were charging 2 euro in, 3 euro cloakroom and 4.90 for pints of Coors light, bottles of Coors light and bottles of Miller.

I'm told drinks there are usually cheaper and they jacked them up for the night that was in it. If so, very bad form and terrible PR for the place.

We went to the foundry instead, 5 euro in, 1 euro cloakroom, some drinks 2.50, others 3.50.

Seems like Harveys are shooting themselves in the foot with this practice.

Very bad PR? but you were paying the same price into the Foundry and they were charging a lot more Stephen night

Dan133269 wrote: »
    I'm told drinks there are usually cheaper and they jacked them up for the night that was in it.

Sign of the times in the Deise, a venue charges normal price and gets slatted.

I was out last night and went home, the town was full of little ****es, it was a really really young crowd.

Saved me few bob for tonight instead, it's the loft for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Went to a session for New Year's instead of town this year.

Once 12 had passed, we went up to the woodlands for pints. Barely anyone around.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 MinisterJD

Auttobebanned
    The Three Shippes is now being run by the bank

U seem to know a bit about dis place.
    Any idea what the owners paid (roughly)for it in '98?
    Considering it was bought back then,repayments should not be massive,iyo what went wrong there apart from the normal external factors?
    How much do u think it will sell for?public auction?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Could be worse, you could have been paying $9.00 a pint like I was in Perth on New Years Eve....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

I was akso in foundry on NYE and was disgusted at the amount of 15-16 year olds in there (before anyone gets upset, i KNEW some of them were that age) Felt like a teenage disco! Made me uncomfortable to be honest.
    Ridiculous that the bouncers were leaving them in! If I had a son/daughter getting into a nightclub at that age id ask serious questions about the place! ID or not, surely common sense should prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,295 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This bar is in rite trouble for 2012 imo. Saturday nites seems to be the only time its Busy.

Was in there for new years eve the place was only half full (if even) before 12 midnight and it started to pick up after that .

Its a good pub and would be shame for it to be shut down

STIG83 wrote: »
    Could be worse, you could have been paying $9.00 a pint like I was in Perth on New Years Eve....

Aha, 9 Aus dollars though! Nowhere near the same as 9 euro :)

PTH2009 wrote: »
    This bar is in rite trouble for 2012 imo. Saturday nites seems to be the only time its Busy.

Was in there for new years eve the place was only half full (if even) before 12 midnight and it started to pick up after that .

Its a good pub and would be shame for it to be shut down

Rumours abound about the place alright, wouldnt be right to go into all the speculation here since they dont have a rep to defend themselves though I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 38,295 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Rumours abound about the place alright, wouldnt be right to go into all the speculation here since they dont have a rep to defend themselves though I guess

Its a place where you can have a chat the music is never too loud and theres always a good atmosphere.

I can see Shorrts or Escape being the gay bar of Waterford if Dignity Does go

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Aha, 9 Aus dollars though! Nowhere near the same as 9 euro :)

€7.10 according the latest exchange rate on XE currency!:eek:

Jesus are you serious?

I havent checked the exchange rate in a while but it used to be much cheaper than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Jesus are you serious?

I havent checked the exchange rate in a while but it used to be much cheaper than that![/Quote
    Pretty pricey still when converting it to euro, I will never complain about Irish drink prices again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Kadent

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Its a place where you can have a chat the music is never too loud and theres always a good atmosphere.

I can see Shorrts or Escape being the gay bar of Waterford if Dignity Does go
    AFAIK Flash is well prepared to take the custom, Mr Gay Waterford comp and The white ball was held in escape this year and he's already familiar with running a gay bar/club in town so it would be no bother to him. Dignity is a load of crap anyway but it will just be the same crew in a different venue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Very bad PR? but you were paying the same price into the Foundry and they were charging a lot more Stephen night

Were they? How much did they raise prices by? I saw a poster in there, can't remember it exactly but I thought it said regular prices on Stephen's night.
    Sign of the times in the Deise, a venue charges normal price and gets slatted.

That's what I'm saying, if they're charging 3.50 euro or whatever price all year, then that becomes the normal price. It doesn't matter if prices in Dublin are more expensive. Jacking up the price to 4.90 or whatever becomes the temporary inflated price, not the normal price. Makes economic sense maybe, people will be out for the night, but it would also put people off going back to the place.

Advertisement