Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

JaneDoe111 wrote: »
    Out on Saturday night...colleagues tried to get into the Reg at 11 ish....€5 to get in. Why oh why? Does days are gone. I want to support new pubs but this is takin the pi**.

It's only a fiver????? 10 is too much but a fiver isn't that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Out on Saturday night...colleagues tried to get into the Reg at 11 ish....€5 to get in. Why oh why? Does days are gone. I want to support new pubs but this is takin the pi**.

From what I hear about the size etc. of the place a fiver on a Saturday night in a city seems pretty reasonable to me.

Try paying €8 into a small nightclub in Laois on a Saturday. That's taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Still €10 to get into clubs in Wexford, Dungarvan, Carlow etc.

Some of the acts in the reg cost over €1000...it's not unreasonable for them to charge to get in to see them. You'd pay €10 to get into most clubs in Ireland and all you get is a DJ.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Still €10 to get into clubs in Wexford, Dungarvan, Carlow etc.

Some of the acts in the reg cost over €1000...it's not unreasonable for them to charge to get in to see them. You'd pay €10 to get into most clubs in Ireland and all you get is a DJ.

Ah now come off it. It should be free entry with a free drink once you are in.

This place will never last, I tell ya. Even if the place is packed with people playing the entrance fee, its all just a con. Disgraceful. Shocking. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Heard this was a disaster of an opening night. Empty in there.

I suppose that's what you get when you just announce it the day of the reopening.

Hopefully it'll pick up this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

That comment right there is why late venues struggle in the city,
    It's a fiver for Christ sake...the price of one drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

It was €5 into the club part too, not the whole place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

You should take a stand, and not go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I think it costs a fiver to just put away a coat in the cloakroom in Coppers. Count yourself lucky. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

iseegirls wrote: »
    I think it costs a fiver to just put away a coat in the cloakroom in Coppers. Count yourself lucky. :rolleyes:

And that cloakroom made over 200,000euro in 2010 :D

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/retail-and-services/copper-face-jacks-records-6-81m-in-pretax-profits-1.1627576

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

iseegirls wrote: »

it's 2e... and even Coppers is free in before 12 most nights of the week! :rolleyes:

Doubt they'll get away with charging much longer with Harveys now back on the scene.

[QUOTE=blue-army;88049287]it's 2e... and even Coppers is free in before 12 most nights of the week! :rolleyes:

Doubt they'll get away with charging much longer with Harveys now back on the scene.[/QUOTE]

and they made 217000???? thats a lot of coats after midnight then?

Dignity gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I went into the Reg at 1.00 am this morning no cover charge, F**kers left me in, why didn't they tell me to go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Dignity gone.

Although I never frequented the establishment Its sad to see any jobs go particularly at Christmas.

I don't think any gay bar that closed down in this town has ever reopened as anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Dignity gone.

I was in there for the first time a week ago for a punk gig (which was great) but it was pretty obvious it was on the way out. Shame really. A venue with some potential for music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Are there any empty premises big enough for them?

Ive been into dozens all over the U.K. and they range from large to massive to aircraft hangars.

They nearly always make sure they have the biggest square footage in the towns.

Shocking food though, cheap microwaved meals.

We really don't want that rubbish in waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I do. They run a very good ship. Beer cheap, good food at decent prices. Premises well decorated and well maintained.

Last time I was in one, in Oxford, I had a lovely Sunday lunch, with all the extras, certainly was not microwaved. It was 7 quid incl a pint.

No music in the pubs, gives for a very nice convivial atmosphere.

What's not to like?

• Advertisement

It's the Walmart of pubs. If you hate the irish pub as it is, and would like to see more closed down then you should welcome this with open arms.

We really don't want that rubbish in waterford.

Let the customer decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I don't know a lot about Jd Weatherspoon but can't say I'd object to them buying say the Stand and spending a half million euro on it and bringing life back into the centre of the town.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I see Harvey's have painted the place blue & white! Not sure if those colours were picked with a specific plan in mind! Good to see another venue open, best of luck to them! Waterford is a tough place to run a club, fair dues!

Sully wrote: »
    I see Harvey's have painted the place blue & white! Not sure if those colours were picked with a specific plan in mind! Good to see another venue open, best of luck to them! Waterford is a tough place to run a club, fair dues!

And all the paint has run down the side of the building and it looks horrendous.

And all the paint has run down the side of the building and it looks horrendous.

Just the one side, kinda not the weather nor season to be painting outdoors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Are there any empty premises big enough for them?

The old cinema on Patrick St?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    The old cinema on Patrick St?

The rats own that premises now, not even the Tweedy's could save that...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Just out of plain noseyness, say I or Wetherspoons wanted to open a pub in the City Centre and utilise an existing building such as the old cinema, how easy is it to be granted a drinks licence?

Is there a certain amount of licences allowed for a city centre?

What about over saturation of pubs, is it controlled or is it a free for all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Just out of plain noseyness, say I or Wetherspoons wanted to open a pub in the City Centre and utilise an existing building such as the old cinema, how easy is it to be granted a drinks licence?

Is there a certain amount of licences allowed for a city centre?

What about over saturation of pubs, is it controlled or is it a free for all?

Your at the mercy of the cops/fire officer/judge and to some degree any local residents as its those folks that pretty much decide on whether to grant you a licence or not. Its obviously not as cut and dry as that but its the gist of obtaining a licence.

Advertisement