Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

It's the Walmart of pubs. If you hate the irish pub as it is, and would like to see more closed down then you should welcome this with open arms.

Rubbish. They spend a lot of money doing up their premises, usually with some kind of theme based on the locality.

They run a very good business model, treat their staff and customers well.

Too many existing pubs still charge too much for the likes of mixers and bottled drink; a decent bit of competition would do the punters good.

Besides, I actually doubt we'd see Wetherspoons in Waterford any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Who police's the numbers allowed into venues ?
    Was in a city centre venue last night and had to leave because of the sheer volume of people in there, it was in no way safe, people were literally wedged in door ways trying to shove past each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Nypd wrote: »
    Was in a city centre venue last night and had to leave because of the sheer volume of people in there, it was in no way safe, people were literally wedged in door ways trying to shove past each other.

Fire officer I think

thomasm wrote: »
    Fire officer I think

Thought as much you wouldn't see him on the beat Stephens night.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

I was in a Weatherspoons by the Elephant& Castle London and it was roughly about the same size and layout as Diginity. Anyway we have our own verision here in Waterford i.e. The Exchange where all drinks are e3.00 on monday and e3.30 for the rest of the week and I can tell you they are doing a roaring trade.
    The drinks industry in Ireland has been controlled for way two long by the license vitners and look at the mess they made of things by sheer greed,putting up their prices so as to increase turnover and in turn increase their borrowing power with their bank, to purchase property at unrealistic and over inflated prices,that is the reason so many pubs and pub groups nationwide went under, leaving massive debts and unemployment behind them and given the chance they would do it all again.
    From a customers point of view any breath of fresh air into the drinks industry in Ireland can only be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Care to identify the venue?

I had a similar experience in the Reg recently.

Certainly overcrowded and dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I'll hazard a guess.....begins with S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Throw the fire officer an email about it and I'm sure he will do a spot check on some random night and if he arrives on a night like that the place will be shut down straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Spadzy

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I don't know a lot about Jd Weatherspoon but can't say I'd object to them buying say the Stand and spending a half million euro on it and bringing life back into the centre of the town.

I would nearly bet my house on that you will never see another pub opening up in the Olde Stand premises!!!!

Well I will openly say that Shortts is dangerously packed some of the nights I have been there.

It was Shortts,
    Don't think ill be going there again on a busy night, place was filthy, vomit and broken glass in the hallways, I know these places get hammered on the big nights but Its counter productive to leave so many people into a small space, you couldn't even get to the bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

I have to agree the numbers in shorrts/crystal last night way way too much.

My main issue was a crush that ensued when trying to retrieve my jacket from the cloakroom towards the end of the night. Spent an hour queuing in conditions worse than a cattle mart. For easily 20mins I found it sore to breath as people were so packed together.

To top it all off after all the hassle and what not, when I gave my ticket to collect my jacket, I was told they couldn't find it and would have to go back another day to collect it.

That venue won't be getting any of my money again any time soon :mad::mad:

xFROSTY Gx wrote: »
    I have to agree the numbers in shorrts/crystal last night way way too much.

My main issue was a crush that ensued when trying to retrieve my jacket from the cloakroom towards the end of the night. Spent an hour queuing in conditions worse than a cattle mart. For easily 20mins I found it sore to breath as people were so packed together.

To top it all off after all the hassle and what not, when I gave my ticket to collect my jacket, I was told they couldn't find it and would have to go back another day to collect it.

That venue won't be getting any of my money again any time soon :mad::mad:

Sounds like it was an accident waiting to happen, glad I got out of there when I did, severe lack of management in the place, greed over safety!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The layout of Shortts leaves a lot to be desired and in particular it doesn't lend itself well to having live bands as the only vantage points are ones that place you bang in the middle of circulation space, making the bar area crowded (especially the steps just before the main bar).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

AdMMM wrote: »
    The layout of Shortts leaves a lot to be desired and in particular it doesn't lend itself well to having live bands as the only vantage points are ones that place you bang in the middle of circulation space, making the bar area crowded (especially the steps just before the main bar).
    i used bounce there years ago when it was ulysses and i tell ya something for nothing them stairs are a death trap when trying to throw someone out

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kittymiss

that empty pub with the templar forks stuck to the side is probally right up jd' wed's street....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Packed on Stephan's night in that weather??? Christ I must be getting old:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fantomas21

Just moved to Waterford few weeks ago, have been mostly going to the Reg and Geoffs and have to say very well run and great atmosphere over the x mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JourneyMan8

alot of people complaining about alot of these venues, yet they all seemed to be packed shows that waterford people are just sheep lol its funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

alot of people complaining about alot of these venues, yet they all seemed to be packed shows that waterford people are just sheep lol its funny.

Waterford nightlife= same old heads week after week after week after week. I could set my watch as to whos going to be in the front window of Geoffs, whos going to be bopping away to Divil the Bit in Kazbaar and whos stumbling out of the Front Lounge, sadly they seem to love the mediocrity of our entertainment and most of them are late 20s and early 30s. Strangely unambitious lot....thats why I prefer the nightlife in Dub or Cork. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

The Forum hasn't been as good in the last two years, but it was still the go-to place for Spraoi Sunday, Hallowe'en, Stephen's Day and New Year's. Gonna miss those nights. Not looking forward to finding other venues that will live up to it on those occasions.

I second that, I practically lived in the place every weekend from 2006 when it was shakedown till around the end of 2011. It seemed to get worse/less popular after everyone in Talk Talk got let go, coincidence ?.

I didn't have any intentions of going there for new years, last time I was there was last new years but Ill be going just for the nostalgia. I liked shorts up until recently, but the last time I was in there it was way too packed to move and full of people who were completely legless, they need to cop on. The Reg was awful on its first few nights but was pretty good the last night I was there, and it was free in.

Lets be honest lads, there hasn't been a decent night life in Waterford since the Roxy and Metroland closed down ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,515 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Waterford nightlife= same old heads week after week after week after week. I could set my watch as to whos going to be in the front window of Geoffs, whos going to be bopping away to Divil the Bit in Kazbaar and whos stumbling out of the Front Lounge, sadly they seem to love the mediocrity of our entertainment and most of them are late 20s and early 30s. Strangely unambitious lot....thats why I prefer the nightlife in Dub or Cork. :D

I'd say that wandering round town checking who is where, and when they leave, is a very mediocre form of entertainment!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

looksee wrote: »
    I'd say that wandering round town checking who is where, and when they leave, is a very mediocre form of entertainment!

Not really. I used to go out quite a lot in Waterford and without even looking out for it, I would see the same old faces pop up in Geoffs (extremely over-rated), Kazbaar and Front Lounge etc. You have no choice if you want a halfway decent night out in Waterford but to move around and after a while the same heads, tunes and sh!t talk near the taxis really annoyed me. And some of the lads head there every single friday and saturday night without fail, as if the place was Ibiza or something when really its more like Groundhog Day. When I hit Kilkenny and saw what else was out there it was hard to return to one-trick-pony corner. Cork is also decent. Its all about trying new things.

P.S- I was in The Hub yesterday....hmmmm, same old scum, different name. Its next to impossible to get rid of a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

J0hnick wrote: »
    Lets be honest lads, there hasn't been a decent night life in Waterford since the Roxy and Metroland closed down ;)

Was the Metroland just down from where the Fitzwilton hotel is now? Stayed there a couple of weeks ago with the missus, and have a vague recollection 20 years ago of seeing the Australian Pink Floyd somewhere nearby.

... and is Downes on Thomas St still going, was on our pub crawl list and went to pop in on a Sunday evening about 7 but it was closed.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JaneDoe111

dazberry wrote: »
    Was the Metroland just down from where the Fitzwilton hotel is now? Stayed there a couple of weeks ago with the missus, and have a vague recollection 20 years ago of seeing the Australian Pink Floyd somewhere nearby.

... and is Downes on Thomas St still going, was on our pub crawl list and went to pop in on a Sunday evening about 7 but it was closed.

D.

Downes closed on a Sunday evening....its probably been too busy this Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Weekend_Yet

I am disgusted. Just handed over €50 for a pint in shorrts. Bar woman handed back change looked at it and she gave me €5 plus coin. Looked up and she was gone. Called a barman who said I made a mistake, was drunk and falling around the place. Was my second pint of the night. Disgusted. Spoke to who I claimed to be the manager and said nothing can be done. My favorite place in town but will never return.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

I am disgusted. Just handed over €50 for a pint in shorrts. Bar woman handed back change looked at it and she gave me €5 plus coin. Looked up and she was gone. Called a barman who said I made a mistake, was drunk and falling around the place. Was my second pint of the night. Disgusted. Spoke to who I claimed to be the manager and said nothing can be done. My favorite place in town but will never return.

i would dispute that nothing could be done every place normally checks their cash at the end of the night and check it against the total they took on the night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

tramoreman wrote: »
    i would dispute that nothing could be done every place normally checks their cash at the end of the night and check it against the total they took on the night

Famous urban legend about the Rogue (Wackey Apple) from years ago, biker hand over £20 for a pint and gets change from a fiver, questions the young barman, who says he was sure it was a fiver but will check till at the end of the night. Next day biker walks in and the barman hands him the change from the 20 apologising, the biker knocks him spark out for even suggesting he was lying in the first place ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Did they even check the till? Sometimes what can happen is you think you were given a fiver/tenner, put it in the till, hand over incorrect change and its an honest mistake. However if it was an honest mistake then there would usually be a fifty euro note in the fiver or tenner slot in the till. If this is the case then you know as a bar person you made a mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

barperson prob knows this and has pocketed your money, wonder how many she done it too last night?? prob living the high life on minimum wage through robbing drunk people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭2SWEET

If you know what time it was I at, I would go in and insist the manager check their cctv, most pubs will have a camera on each of their tills. If he won't do this for you tell him you are going straight to the garda station, that should change his tune. It happens all to often in pubs and they get away with it must of the time because people don't notice they've been left short.

Advertisement