Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭narfsnonsense

Read a few page but none the wiser so would appreciate some advice.

Waterford bound for a hen at Easter. There'll probably be 20 of us, all early 30's. The bride told me the other day she over the nightclub scene. We were initially thinking of the Reg for dinner and nightclub, but does the Reg nightclub play chart ****e? Would we be better going to Shortts after dinner?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Shortts will likely give you more musical options. There are a few rooms so you find a live band or House or Techno or something else. Vibe is pretty good unless it's rammed which doesn't happen too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Waterford bound for a hen at Easter. There'll probably be 20 of us, all early 30's. The bride told me the other day she over the nightclub scene. We were initially thinking of the Reg for dinner and nightclub, but does the Reg nightclub play chart ****e? Would we be better going to Shortts after dinner?

Thanks!
    The majority of commercial clubs will be playing chart even Crystal which is part of Shortts. Im sure its the same in the Reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

sinnotts seems to be popular with the hen nights, what age group as it tends to be 21 upwards in sinnotts and the music accomadates this age group

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

sinnotts seems to be popular with the hen nights, what age group as it tends to be 21 upwards in sinnotts and the music accomadates this age group

I would personally pick Shortts over Sinnotts. A funeral home would have more atmosphere than Sinnotts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

Heres my opinion :)
    Foundry - Creche
    Sinnotts - Funeral Home
    Shortts/Crystal - Nice place and good staff but depends on what kind of music your into (bands and dance djs)
    Geoffs - good for next day recovery
    The Hub - 70s 80s and 90s - defo your best option from what youve told us- nice range of drinks good atmosphere and general all round craic in there.
    Kazbar - Avoid like the plague!! Facebook page explains it all ( the bad comments are genuine complaints while the good ones are from friends of management to cover the bad ones. If you look at the profile pics of the good comments you will see the manager in them ;) )
    Revoloution - Great bunch of lads but im not sure what is happening in there any night as its literally been years since i was in there.

The Hub sounds like the way to go as we'll be in 70's fancy dress. Or Shortts.

Thanks for all the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Be careful if you're in shorts, it might be a little chilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

The majority of commercial clubs will be playing chart even Crystal which is part of Shortts. Im sure its the same in the Reg.

Crystal doesnt play chart music anymore.

Its usually dance music weekly Saturdays and Bank Hol Sundays with Guest International DJs and acts, all kinds of styles, House/Techno/EDM or whatever its called

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Thanks!
    Going on what you said, it's either The Reg or Sinnotts for you.

Surprised people seriously recommended you The Hub!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

I dont understand when you say

''play chart ****e'' but still want to go Reg (The Reg is known as a older age group)

so if youre looking for dance music..... Crystal
    If youre looking for a disco/soul/funk.... Shortts Terrace
    If youre looking for LIVE Music ... Shorrts bar/The Reg bar has Live I think too/3rd level Kazbar

Kazbar is a mixture of stuff, 3 levels inc bands and charty ****e!

Geoffs have good food early in the evening and is a nice bar very popular with locals, dont expect modern decor though its an old pub, but it works..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

AdMMM wrote: »
    Going on what you said, it's either The Reg or Sinnotts for you.

Surprised people seriously recommended you The Hub!

How many times have you been in there since the change of ownership?

savic04 wrote: »
    I dont understand when you say

''play chart ****e'' but still want to go Reg (The Reg is known as a older age group)

so if youre looking for dance music..... Crystal
    If youre looking for a disco/soul/funk.... Shortts Terrace
    If youre looking for LIVE Music ... Shorrts bar/The Reg bar has Live I think too/3rd level Kazbar

Kazbar is a mixture of stuff, 3 levels inc bands and charty ****e!

Geoffs have good food early in the evening and is a nice bar very popular with locals, dont expect modern decor though its an old pub, but it works..

Thats why I was asking for advice!! Thanks for yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Heading to Waterford with oh tomorrow - we're late 30's and in the market for nice reasonably priced grub - interesting i.e. not a steak - and a few chilled beers afterwards with some nice moosac:) any recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Revolution on John street is probably your best bet for all that under one roof.

Revolution on John street is probably your best bet for all that under one roof.

Thanks :) would that also be a decent spot to watch the rugby?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Heading to Waterford with oh tomorrow - we're late 30's and in the market for nice reasonably priced grub - interesting i.e. not a steak - and a few chilled beers afterwards with some nice moosac:) any recommendations?

Hey. What kind of food would you be looking for? Lots of nice restaurants here so if you had a style of food in mind, we could narrow it down to a few places for you.

And with beers, are you looking for good beer, as in craft beers etc or just your run of the mill beers with some music around. Also, is it live music or just a DJ you'd be after? Are you out for the night or just an evening type thing? With a bit more detail, I reckon we can give you a decent night out!

I personally wouldn't watch a match in Revolution although they would show it. The only real rugby pub in Waterford would be The Three Shippes so there'd probably be a rugby crowd in there. Wouldn't think you'd be guaranteed that anywhere else but I could be wrong. This isn't far from the centre of town and would be very handy if you were staying in The Tower hotel.

Thanks :) would that also be a decent spot to watch the rugby?

As nkay says the three Shippes would be your best bet for the rugby. They also serve some top notch food

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

nkay1985 wrote: »

The only real rugby pub in Waterford would be The Three Shippes
    would'nt say that now kathy barry's is a big munster rugby pub and uluru also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

would'nt say that now kathy barry's is a big munster rugby pub and uluru also

Good shout, forgot about Katty Barry's and wasn't thinking out of town as the OP will be in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

The Reg will also have it on I'm sure, do very nice food and have live music tomorrow night.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Ended up watching the match in the 3 shippes, nice middle class rugby boozer as per comments. We headed off for a wander after that and found ourselves in Geoffs for a pre-dinner pint. Very nice dark pub if a teeny bit on the monstrously-large size for my taste!! Place seemed to go on forever!

Ate in Bodega! which was grand and ok value. Was tempted to head back into Geoffs but had an early evening and did the touristy stuff in the morning, followed by a quick beer in the Ginger Man before hopping on the train back to Dublin.

All in all a very nice weekend and thanks to everyone who made suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

For sale sign on Masons,going cheap I would imagine.

Tragically unsupported by locals as usual but Metal Feast in the Forum on Fri night with Vader (PL) and Yata (Be) and a whole bunch of the cream of Irish Metal was really cool. Brilliant organisation and vibe from the young folks who made it all happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

old gregg wrote: »
    Tragically unsupported

shock horror

In fairness that's not going to be many people's scene.

In fairness that's not going to be many people's scene.

Very true indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

What's 'halo' next to shorts does anyone know also what's the former bookies place next door to that as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

jayboi wrote: »
    What's 'halo' next to shorts does anyone know also what's the former bookies place next door to that as well?

Halo is a smaller room in crystal EG you have to go up stairs for it and opens on Saturday nights and Sunday nights of bank holidays. Its a small nightclub with Steven power as the DJ.

From what i can see the bookies is up to rent from the last night i passed in front of there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Halo is a smaller room in crystal EG you have to go up stairs for it and opens on Saturday nights and Sunday nights of bank holidays. Its a small nightclub with Steven power as the DJ.

From what i can see the bookies is up to rent from the last night i passed in front of there.
    was it called the loft for a while? Or a few other names.

Whats the bookies set out as now?

Advertisement