Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

deadybai wrote: »
    Any more reviews about Eden? I hope it does well as Harveys was a class bar yet people go to that cattle market called the Foundary.

People still go to The Foundry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭deadybai

People still go to The Foundry?

Im assuming unless something has drastically changed since Ive been out of college. I know crystal was becoming more popular but Foundry was still the most packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

we were in the reg last friday a nice decent crowd in there no teeny boppers to be seen anywhere which was nice

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

Are there any late bars or alternative clubs open tonight?

I'm heading to RSAG in Central Arts Hall and have to wait until 2.30am for bus home, looking for somewhere open late that's not a chart music nightmare? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Shortts Bar in John Street and Kazbar just opposite it will both have bands. In the outside/smoking area parts of Shortts they'll have a DJ playing dance from the 80s & 90s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Shortts Bar in John Street and Kazbar just opposite it will both have bands. In the outside/smoking area parts of Shortts they'll have a DJ playing dance from the 80s & 90s

That was quick, thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Foundry closed atm, few updates on their facebook page about a new area, seems a strange time of year to do work.
    Anyone know more ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Nypd wrote: »
    Foundry closed atm, few updates on their facebook page about a new area, seems a strange time of year to do work.
    Anyone know more ??

Not really considering the main market for the foundry is students and there all on exams at the moment in WIT but they will just open sinnints on the 2 student nights they will be missing as there night club.

Nypd wrote: »
    Anyone know more ??

Ya I was thinking this too especially with so many staff Christmas parties, students finishing up and all but they'll miss out on all of that.

I have a suspicion (ahem), that it was urgent that they needed to modify the smoking area, hence the immediate closure.

If they had a say in it, changes would've been done on a down period in about February or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Well the screen says something about the 19th of December which is when the exams finish so they won't really lose the students. I also doubt very much that they get many staff parties in there.

• Advertisement

Adyx wrote: »
    Well the screen says something about the 19th of December which is when the exams finish so they won't really lose the students. I also doubt very much that they get many staff parties in there.

Ya that's correct, but the majority of students finish before the 'last' day of exams. I finish on the 18th for example.

Ya I know that's right about the staff parties but there 100% would have been >0 of them. It's still a pity that it's this time of the year they've closed really. Obv they have Sinnotts but they'd rather have two places open in the run up to Christmas I'm sure and it's very hard to see younger people choosing to go to Sinnotts with them being over 23s on Saturdays.

Being open for Stephen's Day and New Years is essential and it looks like they'll definitely be ready for then anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Spadzy

They are just extending the smoking area in the foundry.
    It has gone very quite over there..............
    I was over there a few Saturdays ago and there was only around 250-300 people, even @€;2.95 drinks!
    I didn't even finish my drink......the music was brutal (in my eyes) all that new edm ****e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Spadzy wrote: »
    They are just extending the smoking area in the foundry.
    It has gone very quite over there..............
    I was over there a few Saturdays ago and there was only around 250-300 people, even @€;2.95 drinks!
    I didn't even finish my drink......the music was brutal (in my eyes) all that new edm ****e!

Thats nothing new even in its previous life of Ruby's the music was sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭ec18

would 250-300 people not be near the places capacity? It's not that large of a space.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Spadzy

It's bigger than it seems in there.... I could be wrong with my numbers that were there... But the place looked empty.
    I don't know what adding smoking area is going to help. Just more space to look empty 😄
    I would say the foundry we're sorry they even looked at the place!!
    Bring back rubys😄.... Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭deadybai

Any good places that would be playing Irish music at the weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Christmas Irish music?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

The Hub have 3 for the road playing monday night and Xmas eve.i know it's not the weekend but might help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Mooley22 wrote: »
    The Hub have 3 for the road playing monday night and Xmas eve.i know it's not the weekend but might help :)

I'm really starting to love that place tbh. Aside from Shortts and The Reg, they're probably the only bar that are making an effort lately. Always have live music and they're constantly active on Facebook.

In other news, did anyone hear any rumours about a new bar opening on the Quay?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

I'm really starting to love that place tbh. Aside from Shortts and The Reg, they're probably the only bar that are making an effort lately. Always have live music and they're constantly active on Facebook.

In other news, did anyone hear any rumours about a new bar opening on the Quay?
    yeah saw the quayside tavern has a skip outside that is full

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Remember being shown around and offered that place a few years back by an auctioneer, needed plenty of work! Good luck to whoever taking it on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Someone new running Murphys/Hogshead also. Seems to more confidence in pub sector suddenly

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

I might be showing my age here but the QT was a regular of mine back in the day. It was my favourite size and style of pub. Would make a lovely craft beer bar actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Any derelict building getting cleaned up on the Quay is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

thomasm wrote: »
    Any derelict building getting cleaned up on the Quay is good

The Quay really is starting to burst into life again. A lot of people saying that the works are having a detrimental effect on business on the Quay but there isn't many derelict buildings on the quay anymore. Must be helping at least.

Bit of a bump here but i see a sign is up outside Harveys and the owners/liquidators or whatever are looking to rent it out. Would be great to see it back up and running in the future. It was my favourite place to go out down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JourneyMan8

Bit of a bump here but i see a sign is up outside Harveys and the owners/liquidators or whatever are looking to rent it out. Would be great to see it back up and running in the future. It was my favourite place to go out down there.

you'd be crazy to try and get that open again as a bar, no market for another bar/club IMO, whoever takes it should think outside the box with what they're going to do with it..

you'd be crazy to try and get that open again as a bar, no market for another bar/club IMO, whoever takes it should think outside the box with what they're going to do with it..

It used be fairly packed though and was a fair setup iirc? I realise times have changed but the reason the bar failed is probably due to the fact that whoever bought it overpaid for it.

Would it really fail? I think if it was a restaurant by day and bar by night then there might be hope for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭iseegirls

It used be fairly packed though and was a fair setup iirc? I realise times have changed but the reason the bar failed is probably due to the fact that whoever bought it overpaid for it.

It was such a great place 7/8 years ago. Place would be packed at the weekends, and during the student nights.

Recession happened, and then odd decisions made - like charging people in on the door (something like 3 or 5 euro). Found that it went completely downhill after that.

Now, the place is too big - and unsure if it would ever reach full capacity to make it profitable and not just rely on a Saturday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Used to work there when it was called Eden. There was good plans for the place but it was all false promises from the owner. Did have quite a few very busy nights, WITMAS 2014 most noticeably but always got the impression people just aren't too bothered walking down that way from John Street, especially in bad weather.

Shame tho, genuinely thought and still think the place has a lot of potential, the garden/smoking area especially was a lovely place to have a drink.

Advertisement