Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

debok wrote: »
    I thought twas Larry phelan had Katty Barry's?
    You are correct my friend, Larry not Gerry. I only went in there now and again when I visit me mother, Larry and the wife worked in Jack meades years ago if I remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

91wx763 wrote: »
    You are correct my friend, Larry not Gerry. I only went in there now and again when I visit me mother, Larry and the wife worked in Jack meades years ago if I remember correctly.

Yeh that's right. Jesus I thought he had bought Kathy Barry's couple years back. Pity now tis closed seemed to be doing alright. Maybe he's just retiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,305 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Larry and family were running it and paying the owner rent. Think a Wexford man

Sad to see it go great pub. Sad to see the decline of these type of places and now we have hipster/self service places with no atmosphere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

debok wrote: »
    Yeh that's right. Jesus I thought he had bought Kathy Barry's couple years back. Pity now tis closed seemed to be doing alright. Maybe he's just retiring.

I heard the guy who runs Itty Bitties is taking it over,dont know how true that is though so take it with pinch of salt!

I heard the guy who runs Itty Bitties is taking it over,dont know how true that is though so take it with pinch of salt!

Itty bittys plan b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Sad about katty Barry's. They actually had a trad session every Sunday night the last year or two that they never even advertised. Possibly that's on in the Hub every Wednesday instead now? Not sure if it's the same group of musicians

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Sad about katty Barry's. They actually had a trad session every Sunday night the last year or two that they never even advertised. Possibly that's on in the Hub every Wednesday instead now? Not sure if it's the same group of musicians

Yeah its on in the Hub every Wednesday since last week. Its also the same group of musicians :)

Trad is grand for a few mins but gets repetitive after a while but it's a great part of irish culture and the tourists love it

Few places opening for "breakfast' for the rugby. Three Shippes is the only one I've heard open in town so far. Not sure about when they can serve alcohol but I imagine if ur known in a place you might get served

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Sad to see it go great pub. Sad to see the decline of these type of places and now we have hipster/self service places with no atmosphere

What a load of bollocks, we've had a single self service place for about 2 weeks and do you genuinely begrudge them trying something new in a venue that has failed 6 or 7 times at this point? Personally, I don't reckon it will work but I wish them only the best, hope they absolutely thrive.

And then to just flog everything else new as 'hipster' is embarrassing, most old curmudgeons stopped using that term about 10 years ago. Do you have anything else to offer? Craft beer is a fad maybe? Gastropubs are for fairies? IPA is disgusting give me a harp any day? We've too many coffee shops? CBD! bring back CJD.

Trad is grand for a few mins but gets repetitive after a while but it's a great part of irish culture and the tourists love it

Few places opening for "breakfast' for the rugby. Three Shippes is the only one I've heard open in town so far. Not sure about when they can serve alcohol but I imagine if ur known in a place you might get served

Depends if you like trad or not. I love trad music along with many other kinds so could happily listen to it for a few hours

Yeah getting breakfast in waterford is a bit of a joke hahah say for a Saturday morning etc you don't have many options. Fairview, pantry, no. 9

We ended up going into the tower hotel for a buffet breakfast €12.50 each, which we shouldn't really have to do as it's a hotel

• Advertisement

Depends if you like trad or not. I love trad music along with many other kinds so could happily listen to it for a few hours

Yeah getting breakfast in waterford is a bit of a joke hahah say for a Saturday morning etc you don't have many options. Fairview, pantry, no. 9

We ended up going into the tower hotel for a buffet breakfast €12.50 each, which we shouldn't really have to do as it's a hotel

not going for the breakfast food anyways ha.

Very true we dont have much of a choice for a city compared to Cork, Dublin, even Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

Know this is a City thread but think it’s a right shame there’s nowhere to go in Dungarvan for live music of a Sunday night, I know the Anchor does a bit especially during the summer but nothing this eve afaik

Mayors Walk/Ballybricken/Yellow Road Area
    Alfie Hales
    The Bull and Green
    The Exchange
    The Old Stand
    The Tavern
    Caufields
    Tap Room
    Mordants
    Nickys

Barrack Street/Keanes Road/Cleaboy Area
    Bobbys Bar
    Barley Field
    Kitty Keirnans
    Doyles
    Norris 's
    Crannog
    The Cleaboy

City Centre/O Connell Street area
    Donwnes
    Tullys
    JK Walshs
    Gingerman

The Quays/Viking Triangle
    Grattan Bar
    Fitzwilton Hotel
    Timbertoes/Jackts Bar (Traceys Hotel)
    Usiche Beaha
    Sals
    Granvile Hotel
    Jordons
    The Reg (Nightclub and Bar)
    Tower Hotel
    Katy Barry's
    Itty Bittys
    Marina Hotel
    The Three Shippes

John St/Johnstown area
    Mansion House
    Phil Grimes
    Wander Inn
    Gradys Yard
    Jarz (Self Service bar)
    The Woodman
    Sinnotts (Nightclub)
    Factory (Nightclub)
    Masons Sports Bar
    Revoultion (Open til 1.30am)
    The Market Bar (late bar)
    Heerys (late bar)
    Electric Avenue/Project (Open Weekends and Weekdays in ocasion)
    Kazbar (open late Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun)
    Geoffs
    The Hub

Dunmore Road
    The Uluru
    The Cove
    Oskars
    The Brass Cock (Woodlands Hotel)
    Riverside Cottage
    Jack Meades (on route to Passage/Dunmore/Woodstown)
    Faithlegg Hotel
    Waterford Castle

Other Pubs
    Heffernans (Kilcohan Area)
    The Candy (Johns Park)
    Bradys (Johns Park)
    Viking Ramada Hotel
    The Dome (WIT)
    The Greenway Manor Hotel
    The Craftsman
    Paddy Brownes

Whats that list about?,and where's Bobby's Bar :confused:

Also you left out Mullanes, Paddy Browns and The Craftsman....

Whats that list about?,and where's Bobby's Bar :confused:

Also you left out Mullanes, Paddy Browns and The Craftsman....

Just thought id make one up as some people would ask about places who never visited Waterford

Bobbys bar is the name for Mullanes now but its doesnt have a name on the place

will add them now thanks :D:D

Katy Barry's opening up again

Not sure who owners or who's running it now

Apparently guy who owns itty bittys/hibernian tourist shop opening katty Barry's. Wonder is it the older fella or the younger fella.. Both as bad as eachother, older fella gave out to a friend of mine for using more than one slice of ham on the Americans blaas

The other had her hacking meat off frozen pizzas with a scissors to serve to a vegetarian and trying to cook a stew in a rice cooker, and the whole menu is from a freezer :V LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Actually there was a notice in the paper a couple of weeks ago, applying for a change of use of the ground floor of the Hibernian back into a Gastro pub

Adyx wrote: »
    Actually there was a notice in the paper a couple of weeks ago, applying for a change of use of the ground floor of the Hibernian back into a Gastro pub

Is the area even busy enough for the amount of new pubs going in there ??

Is the area even busy enough for the amount of new pubs going in there ??

I've never been in Itty Bitty's and while I would have been in in Katty Barry's fairly regularly, it's been a about 6 months now. Honestly, I would say no, it's not busy enough. It's too seasonal that end of town and not much in the way of local passing trade for food and midweek drinks.

• Advertisement

I've never been in Itty Bitty's and while I would have been in in Katty Barry's fairly regularly, it's been a about 6 months now. Honestly, I would say no, it's not busy enough. It's too seasonal that end of town and not much in the way of local passing trade for food and midweek drinks.

The upcoming winterval might bring a few down that way as will that 12 pubs bollocks (a few places wont take them)

The upcoming winterval might bring a few down that way as will that 12 pubs bollocks (a few places wont take them)

Still a lot of tourists around too, and they're around later each year so the slow times between Summer and Christmas is less and less but you can't survuve on tourism alone.

Still a lot of tourists around too, and they're around later each year so the slow times between Summer and Christmas is less and less but you can't survuve on tourism alone.

True and some tourists dont buy much in pubs either

Massive groups of elderly American tourists could come in when they hear theres a trad session on and maybe less half of them will buy a drink

True and some tourists dont buy much in pubs either

Massive groups of elderly American tourists could come in when they hear theres a trad session on and maybe less half of them will buy a drink

I've had 5 tourists sit around a pint of Guinness. I've also had a lovely couple who spent about €300 on whiskey plus a nice tip for me, so I don't complain too much haha

Long shot but is there anywhere with a bit of music in Waterford of a Sunday 2/3pm about? Not fussy bout styles

Long shot but is there anywhere with a bit of music in Waterford of a Sunday 2/3pm about? Not fussy bout styles
    No, ridiculously not

Kilkenny on the other hand

No, ridiculously not

Kilkenny on the other hand

Really? Wouldn’t’ve thought so. Then again I don’t be in Kilkenny often

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Treacys hotel on the quay have live music on Sunday morning.

Katy Barry's opening up again

Not sure who owners or who's running it now

Opening back up on the 15th this month,with a full pizza menu from Brooklyn..
    PIZZA x BROOKLYN 🍕

Following our announcement earlier today that we are opening on our doors on Tuesday 15th October. We are excited to also confirm that we will be providing the entire Brooklyn Restaurant pizza menu as part of our bar in Katty Barry's in conjunction with Uber Eats.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3FIXUnCjYS/

• Advertisement

Opening back up on the 15th this month,with a full pizza menu from Brooklyn..

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3FIXUnCjYS/

Same owners or new?

Advertisement