Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I think the majority will still call it Rubys TBH. Bit like Tracey's instead of Centra on the Quay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

dayshah wrote: »
    I agree Ruby's was a stupid name too. I think its ok to name it after what it is known colloquially as. So if it was a foundry in the past, it would make sense to call it the foundry. Insomnia would be a decent name.

Although Dayshah's would be alright,i can imagine me saying it "right lads c'mon we head down to dayshah's me head is wreaked in here,we'll av no bother gettin our hole in that place, sure its always full of slappers",yeah it could work :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

DjBryn wrote: »
    is that for the building work or the new club?

One would assume the club. I doubt the bar staff have been hired onto help moving blocks... but these days you would never know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Targeting students would be one of the main reasons why they can change the name! Most only spend 4 years here so there's no real long term loyalty.

Judging by the work they're doing to the place, I can't imagine many of the features that were synonymous with rubys surviving. There's also an image associated with the rubys name, full of negativity.

Considering they're overhauling the venue, it's the perfect opportunity to change the name and develop a new image for the place rather than inherit a damaged reputation that would be difficult to change.

Sully wrote: »
    One would assume the club. I doubt the bar staff have been hired onto help moving blocks... but these days you would never know!!

I'd say most of the door staff built the place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

I heard that it's opening on Stephens Day? Anyone know?

blue-army wrote: »

Doubt it very much if the big sign they have over Ruby's saying 'opening march 2011',is anything to go by.

But i could be wrong,there is people in the 'know' here,so they will know ;)

AdMMM wrote: »
    Targeting students would be one of the main reasons why they can change the name! Most only spend 4 years here so there's no real long term loyalty.

Judging by the work they're doing to the place, I can't imagine many of the features that were synonymous with rubys surviving. There's also an image associated with the rubys name, full of negativity.

Considering they're overhauling the venue, it's the perfect opportunity to change the name and develop a new image for the place rather than inherit a damaged reputation that would be difficult to change.

Very good point made here,

What is the foundry like up there? I think someone told me before it's quality but very expensive. Is the woodman part of this place too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

blue-army wrote: »

no sometime in March, unless they have a magic wand:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Which just goes to show how way off rumours can be in this town. The place is completely gutted yet people are spreading rumours about it opening stephen's day. The mind boggles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Which just goes to show how way off rumours can be in this town. The place is completely gutted yet people are spreading rumours about it opening stephen's day. The mind boggles.

Ooh, they could open St. Stephens Day and call it 'Dereliction Night Club' :)

I'd go there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Woodman opening this friday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

If The Woodman opens this Friday I suggest impromptu beers

Strange that their facebook today said "opening soon". Why didn't they say this Friday I wonder.

They've updated it. The person updated their facebook is Carlow based methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

ziedth wrote: »
    Very good point made here,

What is the foundry like up there? I think someone told me before it's quality but very expensive. Is the woodman part of this place too?
    Yeah that's what everyone from college is telling me about The Foundry. Bit on the expensive side but they say they always have a good night there.

The Woodman, while being owned by the same people, will be operated as an entirely different premises to what will become of the old Rubys Lounge and Rubys Nightclub. I'd expect much of the same from the Woodman (possibly even the same interior?) as it was well able to stand on its own two feet but was dragged down along with the rest of The Tweedy Group. Haven't a clue what will happen with the licenses i.e. whether they open to 2am like the old Woodman.

The foundry wouldnt be far off Harveys on their drink prices and door charge on weeknds of between 10 and 13 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

I Heard the "New" ruby's is going to be over 21's.. anyone confirm this ?

-Kenny- wrote: »
    I Heard the "New" ruby's is going to be over 21's.. anyone confirm this ?

The last time i was in Ruby's it was an under 21's only policy and it was enforced ;)

• Advertisement

ha ha wont happen, The Foundry = students and kids

An over 21s policy might work for a small pub, but I don't see the sense of a disco refusing entry to the majority of its potential customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

If they are going to charge 15 euro in I cannot see them getting many customers especially the over 23 age bracket. I wouldn't pay that into a night club.

My dad always maintained that paying more than €5 into anywhere that doesn't have a live band playing is madness. I used to think he was being riduclous. Thats when I was 18. Im hittin 21 now and I completely agree with him.

I'll give The Forum Venue as an example. They started charging €5 before 12 again a few weeks back, but have had a live band on nearly every weekend. I'd pay a fiver in there any week, always had a great night with the resident DJ's, and they alternate between weeks as well so its not the same stuff week in week out.. The Forum Lounge would be €10, but go in around 8 and you're being given two sets of entertainment.

Last night they were asking for €15 on the door and opening at 10pm. You could wander between the lounge, the venue and the loft. 3 floors. They had Swamp Stompers and (someone else down I think) in the lounge, DJ and Torann in the Venue, DJ in the loft, and then Spraoi but together a short thing for midnight which was pretty cool. I got in at 11, went up to the loft for a bit, hung around the venue for the midnight spraoi thing, went downstairs for Swamp Stompers who were amazing and then back up for Torann to round out the night. I had a great night out, with a choice of venue or gig for €15.

STILL had people complaining about the door charge saying it was extortion. I fail to see how €15 for 3 floors and at least two gigs is extortion. This is coming from the same people who have no problem paying €10 into Harveys every week or €5 into the multicoloured closet that is Escape.

.....rant over....:pac:

You have to pay to enter Escape? I went there for my first time before Christmas and got in for free.

I suppose they just thought that I look so cool all the crowds would follow me in (which they did).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I should point out that Escape was free admission all night last night (New Years Eve), unlike some other venues, and is now free admission every night including friday and saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

This is coming from the same people who have no problem paying €10 into Harveys every week or €5 into the multicoloured closet that is Escape.

Harveys haven't been charging ten euro in for a long time now.Its free every night same as escape.

Okay well I haven't been in either recently....but you get the point. If you're gonna be charging in I'd expect something from it. Fiver entry, without a band, but free cloakroom would be grand even.

Ruby's would have the same DJ every week who would play the same music. Fair enough, thats what some people want. They want to hear a certain song and they know they'll get it somewhere every week.
    Escape/Revs do always seem to have some sort of promotion on different drinks in fairness.

Gettin back to the original point, if The Foundry opens and tries to charge €15 in they'll be sorely disappointed. And if everywhere seems to be offering free entry now to get people in the doors, they'll really have to pull out all the stops to justify the likes of €10 in.

And if everywhere seems to be offering free entry now to get people in the doors, they'll really have to pull out all the stops to justify the likes of €10 in.

You're right. Think of it, the disco capacity in Waterford will probably double when the Foundry (**** name) opens. They'll have to attract customers to make the use of their venue. If places are having difficulty now getting customers in the door when they have a cover charge, there is no way they'll get away with it when disco capacity doubles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

If the new owners of rubys have done any research they will realise that charging 15euro wont work at all down here and even charging 10euro in will be losing them more money then it will make them.Pubs are rarely anywhere near full on a normal weekend and thats with none of them charging in.So what kind of entertainment are they going to put on to justify 15euro entry.There are pubs all over town with live bands that u don't have to pay anything into.It will be interesting to see how they approach things.

Advertisement