Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I think it all depends on what they're offering for the money. A friend of mine was telling me about a time he was in The Foundry in Carlow. He said there were three or four different areas with different entertainment available in each. If they do that here and charge a tenner in I could see them doing ok. I'd imagine they'll also be aggressively marketing the venue outside of Waterford, trying to attract weekends away/stag and hen parties. With the new motorway Waterford is now a very accessible destination for these events. So they won't be relying solely on the natives.

Could be wrong on all of this of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

Hopefully they will put good entertainment on.The only problem is from what i remember the foundry in carlow is alot bigger then rubys(i could be wrong though)but they do own oxygen and muldoons so could do a deal where 10euro gives your an all access pass to all venues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

The Foundry in Carlow and the Foundry in Waterford will be chalk and cheese. The Foundry in Carlow is a massive Venue, with different levels, and the tower has bands, Ruby’s is half the size compared to what’s in Carlow, as said they will have live bands in Oxygen BUT the big problem is a cover charge and there will be no doubt a cover charge but I cant see it being €15 or they will have an empty club.

I personally can’t see it making a difference to the night life in Waterford, Clubs and pubs are really finding it hard to get bodies in, and up here in Carlow, there is no competition so the Foundry can screw people and get away with it. I really do think these guys are in for a shock when the open in Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭I Love Cheese

I certainly wont be paying any cover charges over 5 Euro. I'm happy to pay the 5 into Masons on a Tuesday because all drinks are 2.50 and can make my money back. They also have a band and Dj upstairs.
    I have now noted that Escape have taken away the cover charge on a Friday and Saturday night to try bring some of the crowd back from Masons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I'm happy to pay the 5 into Masons on a Tuesday because all drinks are 2.50 and can make my money back.

Even pints???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

dayshah wrote: »
    Even pints???

Yes its called thirsty tuesdays starts from 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

I certainly wont be paying any cover charges over 5 Euro. I'm happy to pay the 5 into Masons on a Tuesday because all drinks are 2.50 and can make my money back. They also have a band and Dj upstairs.
    I have now noted that Escape have taken away the cover charge on a Friday and Saturday night to try bring some of the crowd back from Masons.

Very true, Ever since rubys closed. Escape started doing great business but then people everywhere got sick of the place so it started falling behind when masons got refurbished. i can easily see escape closing when the Foundry opens,

On the cover change side of things... if it is just over 18's they would nearly have the cheek to charge the 15 squids because there's a crowd.

-Kenny- wrote: »
    Very true, Ever since rubys closed. Escape started doing great business but then people everywhere got sick of the place so it started falling behind when masons got refurbished. i can easily see escape closing when the Foundry opens,

On the cover change side of things... if it is just over 18's they would nearly have the cheek to charge the 15 squids because there's a crowd.

Did Masons get Refurbished? It looks nearly the same as what it was when Tweedy had it, apart from a few lights and the sound, I have a a feeling Masons will get hit more than other venues but people might not like the Foundry, who knows what will happen

Did Masons get Refurbished? It looks nearly the same as what it was when Tweedy had it, apart from a few lights and the sound, I have a a feeling Masons will get hit more than other venues but people might not like the Foundry, who knows what will happen

Well OK refurbished was kind of the wrong word, it got "spiced" up lets say . But Escape i personally think will get the worst of it unless Flash can pull a miracle out of his Ar$e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

I think everyone will be prety suprised when The Foundry opens cause Id put money(if I had any) on this place being a complete success. The Foundry in Carlow is a great venue that will always gaurentee a great night out and this place will be no different.It was a businuss plan to buy what was Rubys not a quick decision to take out competition, and as its a business plan the place will be set up to make money back. Not by overcharging by a huge amount but by giving the people what they want which will get them in the doors! In this economic climate the lads running the place will know they have alot of work to do to get the crowd in.
    The will have the usual things I suppose but they will get good bands and as the whole place seems to be gutted out it looks like they will be reinventing the whole layout and possibly will have a proper set up for a band which can do no harm. As for where they(possible bands) will be set up thats one to think about, maybe as one poster said between muldoons or oxygen a 3 in 1 pass for the night.
    Like most places it will probally be free before midnight with a charge after, this aint as bad as could be just go in a little earlier, and drink promos every night.
    The people going on about how sh1t the name is is bo!!ix? The Foundry carlow is a great place for a night out, they want to transfer that image to waterford. The amount of people I know that disliked going into rubys and went to harveys instead:eek:!! I was one of them but il deffo be checkin out The Foundry Waterford!:D
    People need to face the fact that alot of people seen Rubys as a kip, with naming it The Foundry the hope to get rid of that perception.

• Advertisement

mikeym wrote: »
    Yes its called thirsty tuesdays starts from 9.
    Ah, just copped the Tuesday part. Knew it was too good to be true. Anyway, better than nothing :D

The people going on about how sh1t the name is is bo!!ix?
    The name is bo!!ix. (At least better than The Village though). In Carlow the Foundry is a big place, sort of like ... a foundry. Ruby's aint.
    Well OK refurbished was kind of the wrong word, it got "spiced" up lets say . But Escape i personally think will get the worst of it unless Flash can pull a miracle out of his Ar$e.
    In fairness to Mr Flash (who I don't particularly like) he is very flexible, is in it to make money, and knows how to do this. I'm sure he'll think of something to differentiate it from the other places. Escape is small, but he can use that to his advantage. Maybe have something like The Junction used to be.

I think everyone will be prety suprised when The Foundry opens cause Id put money(if I had any) on this place being a complete success. The Foundry in Carlow is a great venue that will always gaurentee a great night out and this place will be no different.It was a businuss plan to buy what was Rubys not a quick decision to take out competition, and as its a business plan the place will be set up to make money back. Not by overcharging by a huge amount but by giving the people what they want which will get them in the doors! In this economic climate the lads running the place will know they have alot of work to do to get the crowd in.
    The will have the usual things I suppose but they will get good bands and as the whole place seems to be gutted out it looks like they will be reinventing the whole layout and possibly will have a proper set up for a band which can do no harm. As for where they(possible bands) will be set up thats one to think about, maybe as one poster said between muldoons or oxygen a 3 in 1 pass for the night.
    Like most places it will probally be free before midnight with a charge after, this aint as bad as could be just go in a little earlier, and drink promos every night.
    The people going on about how sh1t the name is is bo!!ix? The Foundry carlow is a great place for a night out, they want to transfer that image to waterford. The amount of people I know that disliked going into rubys and went to harveys instead:eek:!! I was one of them but il deffo be checkin out The Foundry Waterford!:D
    People need to face the fact that alot of people seen Rubys as a kip, with naming it The Foundry the hope to get rid of that perception.

Problem number one in Waterford, Sunday to Thursday apart from Wednesday night, there is barely enough people out to fill one Venue.

The next problem trying to get people in Early won’t happen, Ok fair enough trying drinking promos, but no other venue has a cover charge in the city, Harvey’s did try this and it back fired big time, also Escape and they had to drop the door charge

The majority of people don’t come out until after 12 or later, its easy to sit up in Carlow and say we are going to do all these things, I’m sure they do have their research done with a business plan etc. Spend a week in Waterford and look around people do not have the money

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

I noticed that there wee doing work above the woodman, is it possible that the foundry is being extended out that direction, grant it the studding that was going up had the looks that it might be the toilets moving. Which would still create a bit more space.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I just can't see myself going there, it will always be rubys to me.

If Harveys do go ahead with the rumored makeover(being turned into a club) I honestly fear I'll have nowhere to go when the ladies in the group are with us.

I can live with Masons but if I'm honest I have seen more serious fights in the three times I have been there since the "makeover" then I ever saw in Harveys so I'd avoid the place if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

dayshah wrote: »
    In fairness to Mr Flash (who I don't particularly like) he is very flexible, is in it to make money, and knows how to do this. I'm sure he'll think of something to differentiate it from the other places. Escape is small, but he can use that to his advantage. Maybe have something like The Junction used to be.

There will only ever be one Junction. :mad: And no offence to him but I wouldn't rely on Flash to be able to create something similar.
    I noticed that there wee doing work above the woodman, is it possible that the foundry is being extended out that direction, grant it the studding that was going up had the looks that it might be the toilets moving. Which would still create a bit more space.

Above the Woodman is all offices/staff areas but there would be some room to put something in there. At the least, that area needed a new & better layout.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There seems to be a planning notice on the For Sale sign for the Bowery, but I cant locate anything on the council planning section of the site for there. Any ideas?

Weren't they ordered to clean it up? Could be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I was in the Front Lounge on St Stephens night.

Good night, excellent band (called Monroe).
    Staff in the pub were excellent and friendly.

(we got kicked out at 23.00hrs from Geoffs and were looking for a late night drink : won't be going back to Geoffs again).

hinault wrote: »
    : won't be going back to Geoffs again).

:)

• Advertisement

(we got kicked out at 23.00hrs from Geoffs and were looking for a late night drink : won't be going back to Geoffs again).

Front Lounge is a good spot I was in there myself Stephens night.. Lets hope it can last longer than twister vicks or any other pub that goes there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Front Lounge is a good spot I was in there myself Stephens night.. Lets hope it can last longer than twister vicks or any other pub that goes there

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

+2

I had a great night in The front Lounge too (even though they didn't have any foo fighters :)) when we were in there for the boards beers last month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

+3

Was in The Front Lounge the night before Xmas Eve, the 23rd, & was
    very pleasantly surprised. Nice crowd. Late 20s-mid 30s+. My age group!
    No drunk young fellas making ejeits outta themselves. The bouncers on
    the door were probably responsible for weeding them out! Inside they music was good, the booze free flowing & the atmosphere excellent. Can't see why the place wont prosper if they continue in the same vein. Best of
    luck to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Anyone have any idea what is happening to Bill Martins Hib...there is a planning notice up on it, and they have taken out the bricked up windows, it is in a good location for a pub/cafe if you consider the massive amount of people that will be down that way with the Tall Ships during the summer....

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭EoinHeffernan

so you'd never go back to geoffs because they dont have a late licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Anyone have any idea what is happening to Bill Martins Hib...there is a planning notice up on it, and they have taken out the bricked up windows, it is in a good location for a pub/cafe if you consider the massive amount of people that will be down that way with the Tall Ships during the summer....
    They're going to turn it into a ground floor cafe. Brave man trying to make that a success given the location!

AdMMM wrote: »
    They're going to turn it into a ground floor cafe. Brave man trying to make that a success given the location!

Firstly you'd think people would learn the first time around basing their whole business around Waterford Crystal.

Surely that place would be nothing more then a shell and a serious amount of work would have to be done to it.

I'd them all the best of luck and I'm a man who enjoys him coffe so i'll swing in for one for sure when it opens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Mooley22 wrote: »
    If the new owners of rubys have done any research they will realise that charging 15euro wont work at all down here and even charging 10euro in will be losing them more money then it will make them.Pubs are rarely anywhere near full on a normal weekend and thats with none of them charging in.So what kind of entertainment are they going to put on to justify 15euro entry.There are pubs all over town with live bands that u don't have to pay anything into.It will be interesting to see how they approach things.
    Heard a rumour that 'The Foundry' is going to be over 21's or 23's. Could coincide with the charge maybe - Would people be willing to pay a 10er for that kind of crowd? Would go a long way to towards losing the Rubys name anyway!

If that is the case, surely it'd be 18+ on weeknights to compete with Harveys/Masons for the students.

Advertisement