Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rachel_

What about Oxegen and Muldoons??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

blue-army wrote: »
    Heard a rumour that 'The Foundry' is going to be over 21's or 23's. Could coincide with the charge maybe - Would people be willing to pay a 10er for that kind of crowd? Would go a long way to towards losing the Rubys name anyway!

If that is the case, surely it'd be 18+ on weeknights to compete with Harveys/Masons for the students.

Bollix wont happen, they cant afford to be choosey in Waterford, Harveys done the same when they opened and it didnt last a month

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Bollix wont happen, they cant afford to be choosey in Waterford, Harveys done the same when they opened and it didnt last a month

Harvey's was over 23's for a while though wasn't it?

ziedth wrote: »

It was indeed, and just an example what Waterford is like, Masons was packed last night, Harveys was dead, I dont know how a third venue is going to last

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Harvey's still is over 21's on weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

It was indeed, and just an example what Waterford is like, Masons was packed last night, Harveys was dead, I dont know how a third venue is going to last

the only way a new venue can last is if they offer something new

having it strictly over 21's or 23's can be really successful but it takes patince and its hard to stick to it. very tempting on quite nights to leave anyone in

a rock club would be an idea
    as would a techno club
    or a jazz club

either way it needs to be different to what is already there

Icky Thump wrote: »
    the only way a new venue can last is if they offer something new

having it strictly over 21's or 23's can be really successful but it takes patince and its hard to stick to it. very tempting on quite nights to leave anyone in

a rock club would be an idea
    as would a techno club
    or a jazz club

either way it needs to be different to what is already there

Fair enough if you are in Cork or Dublin, But Waterford is a small city It just wouldnt work im afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

+1
    Cannot see this business model of charging 15 euro in will work. I wouldn't pay it in and the majority of over 21 or 23's wouldn't either.
    Fair enough on student nights during the week you can market it to a different crowd but at weekends you want to get a decent mature crowd in there.
    Masons plan is pack it full of teeny boppers and sell as much drink as possible but a couple or mature crowd say late 20's early 30's wouldn't step inside there or have one pint and leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Was it messy in there?

Is there any good pubs around Waterford during the midweek.

angry_fox wrote: »
    Was it messy in there?

Is there any good pubs around Waterford during the midweek.

Yes very and to packed, A year ago Masons was very quiet and nothing has really changed in it must be the sheep effect:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Got word tonight that Sean Johnson has taken the Bowery

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

Anyone know what the Corpo originally paid for the Bowery and what it was sold to Mr. Johnson for? Not strictly nightlife related but just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

kryogen wrote: »

another place crossed my list! :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

kryogen wrote: »
    And if you only read on here then you would have found out that from me two months a go or so :p

who is Sean Johnson?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

who is Sean Johnson?

Fella who owns the Toddle on the Lower Yellow Road. Think he owns the Jute Factory as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Estate Agents love to put SOLD signs up on the premises they have...sold. It's like a big trophy for them. "Look at this big White Elephant. I've sold it!!!

And yet...it still says for sale.

demotivational_posters_skeptical_dog_Yes_yet_more_demotivationals-s492x454-89937-580.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Odats wrote: »
    Fella who owns the Toddle on the Lower Yellow Road. Think he owns the Jute Factory as well.

not sure tis the same fella , tho if it was he owns half the town literally including that big business pk opposite gemzine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

no doubt it was packed
    , with under 23's ............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Same guy, was told Thursday that he had bought it. I think he will be leasing it out though basically, going to do the work that the council want done first

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Odats wrote: »

I thought it was Sean Johnston, not the guy who owns Johnson dairy, different bloke, I could be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

I thought it was Sean Johnston, not the guy who owns Johnson dairy, different bloke, I could be wrong though

Same fella. i think his brother runs the dairy part of his business

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

so you'd never go back to geoffs because they dont have a late licence?

Yes.

I'm not from Waterford - how is one supposed to guess which pub has a late licence anyhow?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

RE-SESSION - Ok People we have Listened to everyones Opinions on Harveys - Heres our solution ... Starting Weds 19th . New Sound system New Lights New Dj box New Look Harveys ...

Every Weds €3 All Drinks - No Cover Charge
    Every Thursday €3.50 All Drinks - No Cover Charge
    Every Friday €4 All Drinks - No Cover Charge
    Every Saturday €4.50 All Drinks - No Cover Charge

We are Just Trying to Help In Waterford in the current climate so we did the following , New Promo guy, New Lights, New Dj Box New Soundsytem New Prices , all by next week . Then we move onto the Beer Garden to try out some new stuff for the summer including new Stage and Furntire . Harveys will be going Live Outdoors this summer ..

After all the criticism Harveys has gotten over its prices it looks like they have finally paid attention and changed things. We can no longer complain about rip off drinks in there it seems

^ I personally wouldn't be paying them to many complement's out of this move. They have to do this before the foundry opens to try and get people into the place. The recession has been here for nearly 3 years and they never touched their prices.

Having said that, great news.

^ I personally wouldn't be paying them to many complement's out of this move. They have to do this before the foundry opens to try and get people into the place. The recession has been here for nearly 3 years and they never touched their prices.

Having said that, great news.

To be honest at lot of people are thinking the Foundry is going to be the best thing to hit Waterford, I’m afraid a lot of people could be disappointed, Its not going to be anything like what’s in Carlow building wise, They are going to have a cover charge between €5 and €12 Euros, Its going to be nearly the same as Ruby’s was music wise and the same crowd mainly a younger crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Anyone know what was going on in Masons last night? At midnight last night the queue was out the door and around the corner. Must have been close to 100 people queueing, most looked like students. Was there a promotion or special night on? So many short skirts I nearly crashed the car!

To be honest at lot of people are thinking the Foundry is going to be the best thing to hit Waterford, I’m afraid a lot of people could be disappointed, Its not going to be anything like what’s in Carlow building wise, They are going to have a cover charge between €5 and €12 Euros, Its going to be nearly the same as Ruby’s was music wise and the same crowd mainly a younger crowd

I have no interest in the Foundry TBH, that craic is a young persons game. i'll be happy out with my €4.50 drinks In harvey's. A cocktail and shooter for under a €10 has win all over it :)

Actually, What is the story with muldoons? I looked in the window of peigs the other day and it seems they are doing serious work.

I have no interest in the Foundry TBH, that craic is a young persons game. i'll be happy out with my €4.50 drinks In harvey's. A cocktail and shooter for under a €10 has win all over it :)

Actually, What is the story with muldoons? I looked in the window of peigs the other day and it seems they are doing serious work.

Did you read the small print Zeidth:) Cocktails not included:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

some man for tellin the future, give us a lend of your crystal ball will ya

Advertisement