Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Did you read the small print Zeidth:) Cocktails not included:D

:eek:...........:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

leg wrote: »
    After all the criticism Harveys has gotten over its prices it looks like they have finally paid attention and changed things. We can no longer complain about rip off drinks in there it seems

I think the collapse of the Tweedy monopoly is the best thing to have happened to Waterford night life. Now pub prices are coming down I think it will reduce home drinking (I think home drinking is not the best for society).
    So many short skirts I nearly crashed the car!

Reminds me of when I was working on a van. The fella I was with some young lady in a short skirt walking by and said she was a car accident waiting to happen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

O Riain wrote: »
    some man for tellin the future, give us a lend of your crystal ball will ya

Aren’t I just, Wait and see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

dayshah wrote: »
    I think the collapse of the Tweedy monopoly is the best thing to have happened to Waterford night life. Now pub prices are coming down I think it will reduce home drinking (I think home drinking is not the best for society).

Reminds me of when I was working on a van. The fella I was with some young lady in a short skirt walking by and said she was a car accident waiting to happen :D

I don't think the price collapse has anything to do with the break up of the Tweedy "monopoly". Supply is exceeding demand, simply as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Anyone know what was going on in Masons last night? At midnight last night the queue was out the door and around the corner. Must have been close to 100 people queueing, most looked like students. Was there a promotion or special night on? So many short skirts I nearly crashed the car!

J90 were playing there last night and they would be fairly popular with students.

I wouldn't go into Harvey's again if they were giving drink away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Adyx wrote: »
    J90 were playing there last night and they would be fairly popular with students.

I'm showing my age. Have never heard of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Escape also reducing their prices.

If the likes of Harvey's, who are full every Wednesday by midnight, are being forced to lower their prices on that night then it just goes to show you that the students have absolutely **** all to spend on nights out and are all wasted by time they get in there!

I'm showing my age. Have never heard of them!
    They've been around for at least 10 years now I'd say in various line-ups. They're very good at what they do.

Loved J-90 in the college days myself. Strange that they are still as popular seeing as there would be a whole new group of students there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

mental, they had 3€ drinks int Baker St/Oblivian, they couldn't fill the place at the weekend, people wouldn't be "seen" going in there, nowadays its the trendy thing to get as much cheap bottles as possible!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 The Good Doctor

mental, they had 3€ drinks int Baker St/Oblivian, they couldn't fill the place at the weekend, people wouldn't be "seen" going in there, nowadays its the trendy thing to get as much cheap bottles as possible!!

is it still €3 a drink in there nowadays?

Pub there is now "The Front Lounge" with it being ±€4 for a pint. One of the guys involved posts here a lot under the name "abouttobebanned"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

is it still €3 a drink in there nowadays?

I'm not sure to be honest

The guys who are behind the refurb of Rubys/The Foundry are staying in one of the hotels in town and I've been told that the downstairs area won't have a bar at all and will merely be a reception area for the club upstairs. Would assume that cloakroom would be located down there which should give way for extra space to be utilised upstairs.

Such a design choice is what I'd consider to be proof - and admission on behalf of the owners - that there simply aren't enough people going out in Waterford to warrant the amount of square footage that has previously been dedicated to nightclubs in Waterford!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Did someone mention a techno club?

Possibly one of the biggest names in techno is coming to Waterford next week, Paul Ritch, and the gig had to be moved from masons to the new Venue in Tramore!

Would the guys in 'The Front Lounge' be up for running something along the lines of a techno gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

AdMMM wrote: »
    The guys who are behind the refurb of Rubys/The Foundry are staying in one of the hotels in town and I've been told that the downstairs area won't have a bar at all and will merely be a reception area for the club upstairs. Would assume that cloakroom would be located down there which should give way for extra space to be utilised upstairs.
    Thought as much myself after seeing what downstairs looks like. The stairs takes up 1/3 of the room anyway, and the old steps into The Woodman are now a smoking area for The Woodman so that leaves just over half a room left. No point at all attempting to make it into a bar, just turn it into a large cloakroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I don't think the price collapse has anything to do with the break up of the Tweedy "monopoly". Supply is exceeding demand, simply as that.

Well that doesn't really make much sense given that the supply of pubs has fallen. The huge fall in demand is more to do with it.

Nevertheless, in Tweedy's time if there wasn't the business mid-week he could just close one of the venues. Now instead we places like Mason's trying to get as much business as they can by dropping their price.

The big increase in competition will of course happen when Ruby's reopens. I don't think its a coincidence that Harvey's drop their prices in advance of it reopening. They know what's coming their way in a few months, and need to win back customers. They want to lose the rip-off tag. They are probably pooing in their pants in anticipation of Ruby's reopening.

I date the break up of Tweedy's dominance to the opening of Revolution and Harvey's. He thought he could corner the market, but was wrong.

But sure Bob Tweedy was a saint, who only ever had the interests of Waterford at heart.:rolleyes:

Such a design choice is what I'd consider to be proof - and admission on behalf of the owners - that there simply aren't enough people going out in Waterford to warrant the amount of square footage that has previously been dedicated to nightclubs in Waterford!

that's good news for boards own the front lounge. I'm surprised they have gone down that route but it makes allot of sense. The old enterance to Rubys was awful when you think about it and I doubt would get anyone from outside the city in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

hopefully won't have to stand in the cold and wet if there's a Queue outside, wit that huge staircase in it there was never going to be a bar in it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

eeloe wrote: »

Possibly one of the biggest names in techno is coming to Waterford next week, Paul Ritch, and the gig had to be moved from masons to the new Venue in Tramore!

Would the guys in 'The Front Lounge' be up for running something along the lines of a techno gig?

Really wouldn't suit the bar Eeloe. You need to get TEN opened again for that type of event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DjBryn

Ten was the place for de ' pots n pans ' alright

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

I ventured into the Front Lounge on Friday night for a few scoops. Place looks well but as was before in the premises the music is way too loud and having a chat can be ruled out. There was a band in there and you had to wait for the breaks in between songs to talk to your mates, during songs we were just staring and each other downing pints. Good to see Ralf back on the doors though, really nice fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

ziedth wrote: »
    Actually, What is the story with muldoons? I looked in the window of peigs the other day and it seems they are doing serious work.

Apparently they are breaking it up to make 2 or even 3 different rooms which will aim for Live acts, maybe Djs etc.. going for the Forum market apparently

I heard that from a guy who was involved with the planning... that was a while ago, but seems to be true I would think..
    supposed to be making a cafe bar/restaurant downstairs in one smaller part of it, and then having a large music venue which can be fully opened out into a full venue space or split into different parts..

as i said how true that is, im not sure anymore.. was some months ago I heard

eeloe wrote: »

think that waas more to do with the guys running the gig themselves not Masons

savic04 wrote: »
    Apparently they are breaking it up to make 2 or even 3 different rooms which will aim for Live acts, maybe Djs etc.. going for the Forum market apparently

I heard that from a guy who was involved with the planning... that was a while ago, but seems to be true I would think..
    supposed to be making a cafe bar/restaurant downstairs in one smaller part of it, and then having a large music venue which can be fully opened out into a full venue space or split into different parts..

as i said how true that is, im not sure anymore.. was some months ago I heard

That sounds the most plausible direction for it to take seeing as they're going for the whole "Foundry in Waterford" thing and Ruby's is too small to include a club and decent live venue.

I'd say they weren't too happy when they inspected their new purchase properly. That place was in bits before Tweedy even bought it. I hope they do the job properly including the wiring and plumbing.

Interesting idea alright, it'll be a good while yet from what I saw glancing in.

Has anyone heard further rumors about Harveys being done up?

I thought it was never meant to happen or it was dead in the water but a couple of the lads were on about it over the weekend. Crazy stories like they are gutting the place to the bone and a total reshape. Not sure I believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

ziedth wrote: »
    Interesting idea alright, it'll be a good while yet from what I saw glancing in.

Has anyone heard further rumors about Harveys being done up?

I thought it was never meant to happen or it was dead in the water but a couple of the lads were on about it over the weekend. Crazy stories like they are gutting the place to the bone and a total reshape. Not sure I believe it.

according to their facebook its a new sound and lighting system, I think thats a bit of a crazy story:) They did a write up last year about opening a club, but no sign of that

according to facebook they are doing live acts in the summer outside and maybe some other stuff aswell as new lights, new soundsystem and all that
    Im not sure dance music DJs or decent live bands will fit into the whole Harveys scene but that remains to be scene

maybe they know the Foundary added to masons disco upstairs, will seriously take from thier clients, so they are after a new range of people , who they prob wouldnt allow in there in the past :)

Was in Harvey's last night for the first night of their "relaunch" and was surprised to see that it wasn't packed. The DJ Box has been located to a more centralised location which kind of makes the entire club floor the dancefloor rather than being stuffed into a corner. The relocation of the DJ box has made the smoking area a real bottleneck to get to so they definitely didn't think too long about the logistical repercussions in that regard.

The bars didn't seem that busy at all and I'd almost hazard a guess that they took in less than would have on previous Wednesdays thanks to their new pricing policy. It's obvious that they're trying to get students to buy drink but I think the simple fact is that the house-drinking culture is so embedded in todays students that every student is well on their way before heading to a club and either can't afford to buy a drink when they go out or, in the case of them having money, couldn't even stomach the thought of buying a drink.

In an effort (I presume) to spice things up, they had fire blowers outside in the smoking area putting on a show. They took up the entire centre area which again contributed to the place being more difficult to move around and navigate than it should have been.

I think Masons have definitely won the war this college year and with The Foundry to open up shortly and with a team of on-campus promoters already recruited, I predict the spectacular demise in popularity of mid-week Harvey's.

• Advertisement

Masons really has come out of the shadows in the last 12 months in fairness to them even though I wouldn't be a huge fan of the place. It's going to be interesting after paddys weekend (as everywhere will likely be swamped the weekend of).

Advertisement