Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Harveys were one of the main catalysts for the drastic rise in house-drinking for students and other groups, and now they're paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

It's true ya know. When I started college 8 years ago it was definately more common to meet up in say Kazbar/Geoffs/ulysses and the like compared to these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

ziedth wrote: »
    It's true ya know. When I started college 8 years ago it was definately more common to meet up in say Kazbar/Geoffs/ulysses and the like compared to these days.

The same for me. Now I did go to UL so not Waterford related, but still we'd have a few cans early in the house, around 7 usually, and then head to the pubs on campus, then to town. One of my favourite things is going into a pub sober and gradually losing the run of myself!!! :D

Nowadays I see students falling about the place walking in the Cork Road into town. They're absolutely hammered before they even make it to a pub or club so must not spend much when they get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

How can they get back the early drinkers? Promos before 22.30?
    Put on a decent band at 21.00?

(I use the 24 hour clock because I'm ever so sophisticated :))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Anyone hear that Harveys are going charging at the door again? putting on a €2.00 charge, last time they put a charge on the door, it went down in flames on them.
    They seem to not realise when the Foundry opens in March it will do damage to Harveys.
    This is what they said on their Facebook page:
    Harveys Realise that our new drink prices are working well for all our customers and to maintain these prices for the future months,Harveys will put token charge of €2 Per night on the door to sustain the low prices. And even better, Harveys Will allow all customers free entry b4 11pm Each Night. In Hard economic times we hope we can make a diffference ..

They just been greedy now
    Here the link to their page: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=144971868896627&set=o.162964763747170&ref=nf#!/Harveysbarwaterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

The thing people don't seem to realise is since harveys dropped all the drink prices there hasn't been a massive surge in the amount of people going there on a night.its not as if it went from having nobody to havin around 1000.Therefore the only choice left is either a small door charge or put the drink price back to what it was.People will give out more if the drink goes back up so what can ya do?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Goose_Hyypia

Anybody know of any pubs in Waterford showing the Superbowl ?

You can go somewhere else Mooley,

Assume that the average person has
    three drinks in Harveys and a vodka and orange costs €5.50 on a Saturday night (that's what they were when I had them) then you are actually paying €6.17 each for your three drinks. That's not that good no mater what way they spin it.

I for one will be taking my chances in Masons. €5 for a vodka and "Red Bull" is well worth the risk of getting started on that you often get in Masons. .

Edit: maybe a hotel for the superbowl, much much to late for a pub IMHO.

id say masons or the front lounge would be your best bet for superbowl.Surprisin there isnt a pub doing a big superbowl party

You can go somewhere else Mooley,

Assume that the average person has
    three drinks in Harveys and a vodka and orange costs €5.50 on a Saturday night (that's what they were when I had them) then you are actually paying €6.17 each for your three drinks. That's not that good no mater what way they spin it.

I for one will be taking my chances in Masons. €5 for a vodka and "Red Bull" is well worth the risk of getting started on that you often get in Masons. .

Edit: maybe a hotel for the superbowl, much much to late for a pub IMHO.
    The point i was tryin to make was that harveys have not gained many new customers from the new prices so in order to keep the drink prices lower for the people that do go there often and that like the place the only way to do that is a small door charge or hope its all of a sudden gets pack every night and i don't think thats going to happen.At the same time its hard to justify a door charge these days anyway but i just wanted to give the reasoning behind the charge.

• Advertisement

Oh I understand and I'm not having a go at you mooley. I honestly think theyare to late to the party with the "cheap" drinks to make a dent in town.

Harveys has been my bread and Butter in reality for 4 years. There just comes a point in my opinion that you have to react to prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I think the €2 charge is plain nuts.

If they didn't get the crowds back in after the price cut its because people felt they were taken for a ride the past while. You aren't going to get any customer loyalty by milking customers for all they are worth.

They should keep the prices low to try gain some customer habit/loyalty before The Foundry opens. I think any cover charge for a pub is crazy. I often go to a pub with the intention of just having one drink, but end up staying for a few hours if I'm having a good time. If I plan on having one I'm not going to pay a cover charge for the sake of one drink. I'll just go somewhere else (even if that other place is a bit more expensive).

You can't run a business in this climate thinking, oh we aren't getting the customers in so we better up the price. People have a load of choice where to go (and even more choice in the coming months). Businesses have to realise if they aren't getting the customers they have to either cut prices or shut up shop.

I suppose maybe the €2 charge after 11 might be (a stupid in my view) attempt to get people in earlier.

But having said all that, the Kavanaghs are no fools.

They need to give it more time for people to start going back to harveys before they put any charge on.The drink prices have only been lowered for about 3weeks.Alot of people feel they have been overcharged down there for a long time and it will take more then 3weeks to get them people near the place again.

When the foundry opens,if they do charge 5 or 10euro on the door,with normal drink prices.The 2euro charge wont seem as bad but at the moment its a bad move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Masons really has come out of the shadows in the last 12 months in fairness to them even though I wouldn't be a huge fan of the place. It's going to be interesting after paddys weekend (as everywhere will likely be swamped the weekend of).

was in masons two weeks ago (a Saturday night) and it was messy. Walked into the men's toilets and both sinks full of puke. There was a live band playing and they were bad. A scummy element of a crowd in there as well.

Funny you should say. About 15 of us were in there last weekend and say out of the 8 guys in the group (none of us scummy) each of us were started on at various points in the night.

Now, the band were good and Drink isn't that badly priced but the is a serious scumbag element in the place.

I'm kinda hoping the the foundry will take them and masons downstairs will develop a kinda fourm feel to it.

Last time i was in Harveys i paid €6 for a Kopparberg, so much for a drop in drink price, well i know they said pint bottles of Bulmers and cocktails are not included in the price drop either, no mention of Kopparberg though, its the only drink i would have in there because i usually on pints but for some reason i never had a good pint of Carlsberg in Harveys, whatever they do to it.
    And if this redevelopment goes ahead, i think it will be a waste of time and money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Funny you should say. About 15 of us were in there last weekend and say out of the 8 guys in the group (none of us scummy) each of us were started on at various points in the night.

Now, the band were good and Drink isn't that badly priced but the is a serious scumbag element in the place.

I'm kinda hoping the the foundry will take them and masons downstairs will develop a kinda fourm feel to it.

nobody started on me :( but the place was full of what i would describe as rodents

but i always found masons a good spot for soccer games on the Saturday or sunday afternoon and for the champions league

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭ec18

STIG83 wrote: »
    Last time i was in Harveys i paid €6 for a Kopparberg, so much for a drop in drink price, well i know they said pint bottles of Bulmers and cocktails are not included in the price drop either, no mention of Kopparberg though, its the only drink i would have in there because i usually on pints but for some reason i never had a good pint of Carlsberg in Harveys, whatever they do to it.
    And if this redevelopment goes ahead, i think it will be a waste of time and money.

shocked you've gotten a good pint of carlsberg anywhere! :eek: :P

^Alot of the pubs around town do good pints of Carlsberg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Masons is full of kids if you are 20 you would feel old in the place, The Foundry are going to make Harveys looks very cheap. Door charges every night and no cheap drink

• Advertisement

People were so messy in Masons last weekend, i went for a walk up to the second floor and a girl was panned out on the floor, people were just looking over her, hope she was ok though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭ec18

i was making fun of the beer not the pubs :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I was in Waterford City again last night and went to the Front Lounge.
    Another terrific night I have to say.
    Will definitely go back there again - if only to to try to chat up the stunning looking barmaid who works there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

hinault wrote: »
    Will definitely go back there again - if only to to try to chat up the stunning looking barmaid who works there ;)

some bit of gear alright

I was in Harveys last night and the barmaid told me they had no scotch, no scotch, likeWTF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

some bit of gear alright

I was in Harveys last night and the barmaid told me they had no scotch, no scotch, likeWTF

I would expect that in Harvey's to be honest - if it's not popular with young students, it's unlikely to be found in there. Only thing guaranteed to be in stock is vodka and soda water.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Adyx wrote: »
    I would expect that in Harvey's to be honest - if it's not popular with young students, it's unlikely to be found in there. Only thing guaranteed to be in stock is vodka and soda water.
    I've never seen a student drink soda water in my life?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

AdMMM wrote: »
    I've never seen a student drink soda water in my life?!

It's not for the customers. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

hinault wrote: »

Is that you Aoife??

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

kryogen wrote: »
    Is that you Aoife??

;)

???????

My name's not Aoife.

I was talking with Calvin about the barmaid in the Front Lounge. Girl with short hair. Stunning in my humble opinion.

• Advertisement

^ in guessing her name is Aoife :)

You know who I miss? The Eastern European Blonde one who used to work in the front bar of Harveys.

I'd say she is easily the best looking young one I have seen outside of the states.

Advertisement