Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

ziedth wrote: »
    ^ in guessing her name is Aoife :)

You know who I miss? The Eastern European Blonde one who used to work in the front bar of Harveys.

I'd say she is easily the best looking young one I have seen outside of the states.

Is her name Aoife?
    Just shows you how poor my chatting up technique is:o
    If she is the girl with the short hair, I'll try again next time I'm down there (I live in Tipp).

European women are stunning but more difficult to try to chat up (says the greatest chatup artist, who can't even get the barmaid's name:D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

Sals and Murphys are great bars for the live music. up and coming bands as well as established bands playing most if not all weekends and sometimes during the week too. free in and fairly cheap drink. in murphys you pay 10 quid for a 3 drink token that you can use whenever you like :) 3 pints of guinness and a band belting out a bit of thin lizzy for ten squids? ya cant go wrong :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

hinault wrote: »
    ???????

My name's not Aoife.

I was talking with Calvin about the barmaid in the Front Lounge. Girl with short hair. Stunning in my humble opinion.

lol it was a joke, her name is Aoife

^ in guessing her name is Aoife :)

You know who I miss? The Eastern European Blonde one who used to work in the front bar of Harveys.

I'd say she is easily the best looking young one I have seen outside of the states.

Take a trip to Smiths, you may see something you like ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

so did anyone get a job in the new place yet, seemingly the jobs were gone before they were advertised???:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Hoffmans wrote: »
    so did anyone get a job in the new place yet, seemingly the jobs were gone before they were advertised???:rolleyes:

Right this is my opinion on the Foundry seen as Hoffman’s was on about jobs in this place.

I’m a Carlow man myself and I have being in the Foundry in Carlow enough times. I have a very funny feeling this place won’t last in Waterford the reasons why you may ask.

Number 1

Door charge between € 5 and €12 Euros, Every other club, pub disco bar is free in. Apart from Masons on a Tuesday night and Harvey’s €2. Masons what you get for €5 half price drink a band and a club which is fair enough. Harvey’s what you get? Cheap enough drink.

The Foundry was asked will they be doing cheap drink. This was their answer quoted from their facebook

prices for drinks will be set according to legal regulations. The main reasons why drink prices vary is because of the quality of the drink. so if drinks are particularly cheap in one club it is probably because it is not a well known/good brand so it can be sold at a cheaper price- This makes the prices cheaper however using a cheaper brand comes with other consequences for the customer. We sell only the best & most trusted brands which will sold in accordance with regulations & at fair prices so no need to worry.

Reading in between the lines to their above answer they are saying no we are not going to sell cheap drink and we are going to have a big door charge.

Number 2

Why go to this venue so? The same music will be played in every other commercial pub or club around the city and much cheaper drink. Maybe for the first few weeks people will go to have a look or the sheep effect let’s follow where the crowd goes.

Don’t get me wrong im not blasting the Foundry its good to see a new Venue and people getting employment, but as Hoffman’s said about more than likely the jobs have being filled already before they were advertised. As I said before these guys have no competition in Carlow so they can charge what they want. It’s a very different story in Waterford very interesting times ahead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I think we should wait until the place opens before we judge them.

But that answer about drink prices is a pile of ****e. Pubs and clubs around the town that are selling cheaper drink are doing so because they need to. The drink is the same as always. That answer they gave was very ill informed actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

If all the jobs were gone why go to the expense of time and money of having several days of interviews last week and this week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

yet another bull**** rumour adyx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

That drinks price answer is actually insulting our Intelligence, I'd love to hear them explain how a smirnoff and Red bull from Masons is inferior to their smirnoff and red bull. I'm actually nearly angry after Reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

That drinks price answer is actually insulting our Intelligence, I'd love to hear them explain how a smirnoff and Red bull from Masons is inferior to their smirnoff and red bull. I'm actually nearly angry after Reading it.

completely agree, there is no difference in the drinks in each place, they obviously think people are stupid enough to think that it might be, then again there is always a few.

They might aswell have just pat us on the head and say "dont worry your little head".

Patronising f**kers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

They've pretty much hired everyone from rubys so they'll let them know what to expect

Well there's the answer, holdin interviews don't mean they have any more jobs to be handin out.... especially for genuine locals I'm told....

I know of a girl that had an interview, it was less the 15 min and very basic with the majority of it saying what they plan to do with muldoons and the foundry.

If I was skeptical man I would suggest that perhaps this big recruitment drive could be a clever kind of advertising.

Now it would be a very expensive form of advertising so I doubt it is but I'm weary of everything these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

what they are trying to say is that the Smirnoff & Red bull in another venue may be from a Smirnoff bottle... but its not Smirnoff vodka.

savic04 wrote: »
    what they are trying to say is that the Smirnoff & Red bull in another venue may be from a Smirnoff bottle... but its not Smirnoff vodka.

That is a very serious allegation if that's the case and they should be careful. I also don't believe this happens, i'm a vodka drinker and I would know say Huzzar vodka a mile away compared to Smirnoff.

Maybe your right though but I honestly can't see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I know of a guy who had an interview there 2 weeks ago and is starting his job there when they open, that one at least was above board :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

That is a very serious allegation if that's the case and they should be careful. I also don't believe this happens, i'm a vodka drinker and I would know say Huzzar vodka a mile away compared to Smirnoff.

As would I and a lot of others would too, in this day and age it's near impossible for publicans to get away with this type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

My sister had an interview for the foundry yesterday, she will know the outcome next week

• Registered Users Posts: 86,127 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Whats the best club/late bar in Waterford?

What are you into and age group Liz?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,127 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What are you into and age group Liz?

Thinking of heading there this weekend a group of us age wise ranging from 20 to 25

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Thinking of heading there this weekend a group of us age wise ranging from 20 to 25

In a nutshell:

Masons: Live band downstairs can be good, Scummy enough crowd who are young. Upstairs is like a teen disco, personally i wouldn't reccomend it.

Escape: Not your scene i'd say, same as upstairs in Masons, 18ish crowd.

The Front Lounge: Kind of Waterford fourms own pub, Live music, mid 20's crowd, decent music, small enough but worth a look if you like live music say check it out before 11.

Harveys: I'd say you best bet, Impressive smoking room, Charty music, Drink can be expensive if you don't buy Pints/Vodka & dash but i'd say you'll like it given you wouldn't be sick of the place like allot of us would. Least scummy crowd in town IMHO and would be your age group.

revolutions: I personally don't go in there to much but it does seem to have a decent crowd and might be worth a look.

That's all i got for the moment, Waterford isn't overrun with Late bar scene at the moment but you should still have a good laugh cause it'll all be new to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Boooourns

They're never going to come outright and say it but i think we all know whats going on in some places.
    I was out one night with my Wife and a few friends so we ended going for a late one in a local niteclub, she asked for a Vodka and coke and when she got it she had a smell and taste of just the vodka, she asked us to try it too and there was certaintly no vodka in it. Brought it back up and the barman had a dogs head on him but he eventually got her another one and the difference was pretty funny.
    I also hate this business when they find full bottles at the end of the night and then recork them and then when you get it it's flat, pretty disgusting that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Nice summary Ziedth.

Only other place that warrants mentioning is the Kazbar which has three floors. Ground floor is like a cattle mart and shit IMO. Middle floor has couches and other seating and is a bit more relaxed. Third floor has live music but is pretty small and gets way too hot way too quickly. I personally avoid it but some people like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I think I should have a document that I can copy and paste from whenever this question is asked :).

Well there's the answer, holdin interviews don't mean they have any more jobs to be handin out.... especially for genuine locals I'm told....

Who exactly are genuine locals? I've only lived here for 11 years, does that mean I shouldn't go for a job there?

Considering they went to the expense of hiring a room out in the Ramada for the interviews (again, 2 weeks worth), I doubt it was just a PR exercise.

Boooourns wrote: »
    They're never going to come outright and say it but i think we all know whats going on in some places.
    I was out one night with my Wife and a few friends so we ended going for a late one in a local niteclub, she asked for a Vodka and coke and when she got it she had a smell and taste of just the vodka, she asked us to try it too and there was certaintly no vodka in it. Brought it back up and the barman had a dogs head on him but he eventually got her another one and the difference was pretty funny.
    I also hate this business when they find full bottles at the end of the night and then recork them and then when you get it it's flat, pretty disgusting that one.

In all the pubs and clubs I've worked in not once has any of this ever happened. Your point about the vodka makes no sense either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

If I was skeptical man I would suggest that perhaps this big recruitment drive could be a clever kind of advertising.

Now it would be a very expensive form of advertising so I doubt it is but I'm weary of everything these days.

Not advertising, market research. Ever try to get someone to take part in a focus group or something? You have to pay them in some way (eg vouchers) to get them to come along.

If I was cynical I'd say they are doing market research on potential customers.

dayshah wrote: »
    Not advertising, market research. Ever try to get someone to take part in a focus group or something? You have to pay them in some way (eg vouchers) to get them to come along.

If I was cynical I'd say they are doing market research on potential customers.

that's another good point maybe even a bit of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Adyx wrote: »
    In all the pubs and clubs I've worked in not once has any of this ever happened. Your point about the vodka makes no sense either.

Hmm i'll break it down, there was no taste of vodka off the short of vodka she ordered, therefore there was no vodka in it but it did taste like water, when she got a new vodka that one did taste of vodka.

Your first sentance is that reffering to capping bottles? Because i know that goes on and where.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Boooourns wrote: »
    Hmm i'll break it down, there was no taste of vodka off the short of vodka she ordered, therefore there was no vodka in it but it did taste like water, when she got a new vodka that one did taste of vodka.

Your first sentance is that reffering to capping bottles? Because i know that goes on and where.

Care to let the people on here know?,because that is a serious accusation and it should be made light of.

Advertisement