Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Care to let the people on here know?,because that is a serious accusation and it should be made light of.

I'll certaintly mention it if it's ok with the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

No I'm afraid we can't name the place without proof such as a story in the paper. Be like saying venue x deals coke under the bar it's not as bad as story as tgat but it's still a very serious accusation.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Butternutz1

Boooourns wrote: »
    Hmm i'll break it down, there was no taste of vodka off the short of vodka she ordered, therefore there was no vodka in it but it did taste like water, when she got a new vodka that one did taste of vodka.

Your first sentance is that reffering to capping bottles? Because i know that goes on and where.

Wow that is really a silly accusation , like adyx I too have worked in quite alot of bars and clubs in town and what you are claiming simply does not happen . What I believe happened is either one of two things as you said it was a night club / late bar so you probably had a few drinks before going there and probably couldn't tell the difference between vodka and rum. Or what's most likely when the barperson was serving the drink he scooped in some water from melted ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

What about skanky pints?,do the busier pubs use the fast flow muck

The thing I'll say in defence of boooourns is that maybe the bar person was not putting in vodka and pocketing the money from the till cause the stocks would still balance.

I can't imagine a bug venue knowingly getting bar staff to do it. It leaves to much of a trail that could get them into serious **** of caught.

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    No I'm afraid we can't name the place without proof such as a story in the paper. Be like saying venue x deals coke under the bar it's not as bad as story as tgat but it's still a very serious accusation.

I thought that would be the case as there's no evidence to back it up and it's a pretty dangerous thing to say, i probably should have said nothing haha. I'll assume some people know the place i'm on about. I've recieved one flatbottle 3/4 full in there once, brought it back and was given another one no problem. It's rare when it's happens but i've seen other examples.
    Wow that is really a silly accusation , like adyx I too have worked in quite alot of bars and clubs in town and what you are claiming simply does not happen . What I believe happened is either one of two things as you said it was a night club / late bar so you probably had a few drinks before going there and probably couldn't tell the difference between vodka and rum. Or what's most likely when the barperson was serving the drink he scooped in some water from melted ice.

Honestly we weren't drunk that night but the scooped water makes sense as there was definitley no alcohol in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Hmm i'll break it down, there was no taste of vodka off the short of vodka she ordered, therefore there was no vodka in it but it did taste like water, when she got a new vodka that one did taste of vodka.

Your first sentance is that reffering to capping bottles? Because i know that goes on and where.

In your post you said that you got the taste and smell of just the vodka, then said there was no vodka in it. That's why it made no sense.

As for your point about bottles being re-capped at the end of the night, it is possible that it was supplied that way (sorry Ledger! :P ) but honestly I have never seen that happen in any of the major clubs in Waterford and I've worked in most of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Adyx wrote: »
    In your post you said that you got the taste and smell of just the vodka, then said there was no vodka in it. That's why it made no sense.

As for your point about bottles being re-capped at the end of the night, it is possible that it was supplied that way (sorry Ledger! :P ) but honestly I have never seen that happen in any of the major clubs in Waterford and I've worked in most of them.
    So because you worked in most clubs you are an expert on what happens in EVERY pub in Waterford :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

When did he claim he was an expert? He's just giving an opinion ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Your going on my list.:mad:

ha but seriously,

the very odd bottle like this does get by unfortunately, not making excuses but this usually is due to producers not wholesalers like us (yeah I know, passing the buck again :p)

We don't handle the bottles at all, unless the crate is unfit for use in which case we switch the bottles to another crate which is ok for use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Butternutz1

I thought that would be the case as there's no evidence to back it up and it's a pretty dangerous thing to say, i probably should have said nothing haha. I'll assume some people know the place i'm on about. I've recieved one flatbottle 3/4 full in there once, brought it back and was given another one no problem. It's rare when it's happens but i've seen other examples.

Honestly we weren't drunk that night but the scooped water makes sense as there was definitley no alcohol in it.

No thats not what i meant im sure you werent drunk, I meant that after having a few drinks your tastebuds wouldnt be as effective as if you were having your first drink.

Try it some night, you would be surprised how many people who know there drinks would get mixed up and sometimes even think that there was no alcohol.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Is he allowed even give a hint as to where this alleged re capping of bottles and attempted sale of water as vodka?

Best not given the seriousness of the claim,

the time we were talking about the Kilmac debs in the woodlands we pretty much gave out map coordinates as to where the school was located and some posters could and couldn't get where we were talking about and it left a bad feeling around.

I guess if you want to say if it was a late bar/pub or quiet/busy and leave it at that.

always pm's too :)

Actually,

Now that I think of it is there any website that has a list of what bands are playing in the city on a particular date? like this weekend? you know regardless of who owns the venue and so on.

Entertainment.ie provides a good free service but it relies on the venue providing the information for them.

Pity really, something like they have for Sproai every week showing a grid of nights, times, venue and what band would be very handy. I'll check that out ATBB cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

vodka and rum. Or what's most likely when the barperson was serving the drink he scooped in some water from melted ice.
    So thats what you get when ya order a double??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I didn't believe that this carry on actually happens until I was talking to someone who works in a bar in Dublin and he gets rewarded for dipping the rim of glasses in rum/vodka and using half measures instead of full!

I think the places that rely on a lot of local trade would be less inclined to do this but I would definitely be on the look out for this kind of stuff at busy times such as bank holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I can only vouch my my own place of work and say that I have never seen anyone who works with me, havent heard anything to make me think it happens where I work, and I havent done it myself. Wouldnt see the point tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Iv worked in numerous bars and this never happens, every bottle you open is sealed, every empty bottle is recycled, the trouble you would have to go to to water down drinks, jesus people are just paranoid, ive had people come back to me sayin "that's watered down so it is" its incredible.

• Advertisement

once a customer gets something in their heads its hard to change their minds.

Like they say: the customer is always right.
    even when they are completely, and utterly f*cking wrong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I work in a bar too which I was hesitant to believe him. I for one for never do it. I'd recap the bottle of coke if they change their mind and ask for Diet because I know I'll sell the split a few minutes later but that would be about it.

Ah sorry about that, i reread it and saw i left out a word.
    No thats not what i meant im sure you werent drunk, I meant that after having a few drinks your tastebuds wouldnt be as effective as if you were having your first drink.

Try it some night, you would be surprised how many people who know there drinks would get mixed up and sometimes even think that there was no alcohol.:)

Yep and i have no prob with that, it was just in this case it had no alcohol haha. Trust me on this one, a few of us tasted it, never happened again in there, place is now closed down just in case anyone is paranoid!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

dayshah wrote: »
    So because you worked in most clubs you are an expert on what happens in EVERY pub in Waterford :rolleyes:

Brilliant use of sarcasm there, well done. I never claimed to be an expert on every pub in Waterford, but I have worked in more than my fair share so I would have a better idea than most people of what went on in those places and even in the dodgiest pub there was never some sort of plan to rip people off by watering down drinks, selling stale re-capped bottles or to pass off Huzzar vodka as Smirnoff (by the way, there is little to no difference in the price, they are very similar quality-wise).

I honestly cannot get over the paranoia of Irish people: "the publicans are watering down our drinks", "the barstaff are pocketing our change", "they're not hiring staff - they're doing market research". I can accept that the first two go on in limited amounts but the way people go on as if it was standard practice is ignorant at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

Were Club La fined years ago for doing something with Vodka or something along the lines of that? selling cheap stuff as Smirnoff ? I'm open to correction on that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Does anyone know if Harvey's is over 21s on Fridays?

I always thought it wasn't but one of my friends got turned away last Friday for only being 18?

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Harvey's is over 21s on Fridays?

I always thought it wasn't but one of my friends got turned away last Friday for only being 18?

in my experience they just bring that one out if they don't wanna let you in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Ledger wrote: »
    in my experience they just bring that one out if they don't wanna let you in.

Yeah I was thinking that..

Seems awfully unfair! :pac:

• Advertisement

Looks horrible tbh.

Advertisement