Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

This post wins in so many ways.

I really hope he had a good think about the pun he used :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

Looking at the Foundry facebook last night, the kids are jumping out of their prams with the new creche opening Monday:) Dosent look like the cover charge is bodering them. Really goes to show its the older crowd that have the cop on not to pay a cover charge.
    Its only looks likes everybody is excited about the opening.I know of 3 different posts at least that were talking about the fact no one else is charging and stuff and they were deleted off the facebook page.Looks like people arent allowed an opinion anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Mooley22 wrote: »
    Its only looks likes everybody is excited about the opening.I know of 3 different posts at least that were talking about the fact no one else is charging and stuff and they were deleted off the facebook page.Looks like people arent allowed an opinion anymore

They wont even answer people's questions. I think they're going to get a major shock if thisis how they treat their customers, frankly i think it's just pig ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

the sheep will go in there as they paid to go into Rubys for years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

In fairness it's just in sync with their attitude up to this point. Their arrogant marketing campaign which just said "ssssshhhh" and that was supposed to be enough because every other venue in Waterford is crap in comparison.

The way they practically accused all the venues that stock cheap drink of selling inferior drink.

And tbh I'm almost reluctant to comment anymore about the club because they seem to be so clueless that we'll actually be helping them with our comments.

• Advertisement

the sheep are getting wiser though, lots of people that I've been talking to in college have been saying they'll go in once to check it out but won't go in after that.

even they are realising that its stupid to pay in there when they can get into masons/escape for free or harveys for E2, and get better deals and prices on drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Yes, but back then there were also cover charges for oxygen and other places. Plus a lot has changes in the past 2 years.

The Tweedy group failed for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Ledger wrote: »
    They wont even answer people's questions. I think they're going to get a major shock if thisis how they treat their customers, frankly i think it's just pig ignorance.

A bit much to be deleting people's posts? :confused:

STIG83 wrote: »
    A bit much to be deleting people's posts? :confused:

thats what I'm saying. It's pig ignorance on their part

Ledger wrote: »
    thats what I'm saying. It's pig ignorance on their part

Why though? Happened to my sister and she will be working in there!!

• Advertisement

I'd imagine they won't allow any negative comments or questions that can't be spoon fed a crap handy answer.

I still honestly can't believe they tried to say that their drinks will be a higher quality and that's we they charging a high end price. If anybody falls for a line as stupid as that IMHO they deserve to be ripped off.

Why though? Happened to my sister and she will be working in there!!

I dont know. seems like they just dont wanto to know if someone tries to challenge oneof their many bad ideas and flaws.
    ziedth wrote: »
    I'd imagine they won't allow any negative comments or questions that can't be spoon fed a crap handy answer.

I still honestly they tried to say that their drinks will be a higher quality and that's we they charging a high end price. If anybody falls for a line as stupid as that IMHO they deserve to be ripped off.

i agree, i cant think how anyone could believe that crap.

^ They dont sound like nice people to work for!!

^ They dont sound like nice people to work for!!

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

And according to their signage they think their calendars are better than everyone elses

Their arrogant marketing campaign which just said "ssssshhhh" and that was supposed to be enough because every other venue in Waterford is crap in comparison.
    If you want to hear about their arrogance how about they are going to take all masons crowd within a month and have harveys closed within a week.All straight from one of the management from the dinn ri group.Think they will be in for a shock when their arrogance,greed and stupidity backfires

What will we give them before they go belly up? id say 8 to 12 months

Well tall ships and sproai should get them through to sep.If they dont get the students in sep they will be in big trouble and if they charge like they are planning to the students wont go near there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Im not sure Mooley the younger crowd are like sheep they will follow each other and some would be stupid enough to pay a cover charge and all the complaing a about door charges I really do hope people stay clear of the place

But if they dont get the students they will basically tryin to survive off just a saturday night trade and i dont think they will stick it out too long if they are only havin one busy night.Judging by the djs line up in there the young people wont stay going there for long

• Advertisement

From a local employment point of view ideally I'd like to see them get enough to tick over without them or anyone else closing down.

In reality, I think allot will depend on how the 17-21 year old Market react to their pricing. If what I think will happen transpires I can see them back peddling and matching whatever Harveys charge and try to undercut Masons.

Worst case scenario for the average drinker is that it's a runaway success and everywhere else up's their prices to match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 An12fr3

I've been follow this thread for a couple of months now. I'm a research student in DIT and have been researching nightclubs all over the country and europe for 10 years now.There are a couple of things that I believe have been completely missed here.

Firstly, The argument of price and comparison to Masons, Harveys etc to the Foundry Waterford is completely invalid as none of these venues are actually nightclubs.They are all late bars.At present there is no nightclub (population 300+) in Waterford.The last time I researched Waterford, when rubys and oxygen were both running their door policy was to charge outsiders/tourists and free for anyone that wanted to walk up through Muldoons etc.No wonder nobody from outside came to Waterford,and no wonder the nightclubs went belly up with this policy.

Second,If Waterford City is to become one of the top night spots in Ireland then it needs a modern state of the art nightclub with continual investment.I believe, but am not sure the Foundry have bought the 2 venues.With their history of nightclubs,surely they will achieve this.Look at Carlow,the same recession,yet every weekend people from all over the country go there.Fair enough it is one of the top 3 clubs in Ireland but the point is and going on research,Waterford City does not attract any catchment area outside the City.Carlow,and lets be honest,not exactly a metropolis takes people from all over south Leinster/Ireland to the town on Fri, Sat n Sun night.Not to mention the student business.This generates tourism,job growth,economy growth and direct employment.Waterford needs that!

Thirdly in my research,Waterford proved a quandary and hard to pin-point the reason why the nightclub scene completely hit the wall (All opinions greatly appreciated).I believe the people took the nightclubs for granted and the attitude of not paying (only city/town/place in Ireland btw) proved to backfire on the whole city as currently there are no nightclubs.The only place/town/city in Ireland.This is only my opinion but this is not good for the city or tourism of Waterford.

Fourth,In all my years of research,cheap drink usually ends one way for pubs and clubs,CLOSED,the list is endless all over the country!If it is the same owners as it appears to be in Carlow then they are surely in Waterfod for the long haul.Given their performance in Carlow (including competitors) I would fancy them to make a long and lasting impression in Waterford. Note:Friends in office came back from a Stag in Carlow and quote of week was 'why is there not a Foundry in Dublin?'

I would suggest that maybe Waterford should be encouraging one of the top nightclub operators in the country to its city but ultimately this is up to the people of Waterford. I'm looking forward to getting back to Waterford in the next couple of months to check out the Scene and hope you enjoy d comments :)

ziedth wrote: »
    Worst case scenario for the average drinker is that it's a runaway success and everywhere else up's their prices to match.
    That would be worse case for staff in the other bars aswell because harveys and masons are busy now because of the cheap drink and no cover charge.If they put the prices back up and charge on the door they will lose what ever custom they have left and be in serious trouble then.

An12fr3 wrote: »

Fourth,In all my years of research,cheap drink usually ends one way for pubs and clubs,CLOSED,the list is endless all over the country!If it is the same owners as it appears to be in Carlow then they are surely in Waterfod for the long haul.Given their performance in Carlow (including competitors) I would fancy them to make a long and lasting impression in Waterford. Note:Friends in office came back from a Stag in Carlow and quote of week was 'why is there not a Foundry in Dublin?'

So are you all set for your opening on monday?:)But being honest if people are always giving out about drink being too pricey and then the bars put their prices down,is that not a good thing.Masons and harveys are the busiest they have been in a long time because of the cheap prices.Hardly going out of business because of it.If they are so successful and having such a winning formula,why aren't they in dublin?

So are you all set for your opening on monday?:)But being honest if people are always giving out about drink being too pricey and then the bars put their prices down,is that not a good thing.Masons and harveys are the busiest they have been in a long time because of the cheap prices.Hardly going out of business because of it.If they are so successful and having such a winning formula,why aren't they in dublin?

my thoughts exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Are Masons and Harveys cheap or just cheaper than what they were during the Celtic Tiger rip off years?

Are Masons and Harveys cheap or just cheaper than what they were during the Celtic Tiger rip off years?

mostly just cheaper than what they were.

but if you take some of their deals into account they are cheap, if you see what i mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

AN12fr3 AKA Foundary management/PRO ....... very poor attempt at secretly bigging up your club!

Atleast be honest & brave enough to come on and defend yourself with your real name!

Best of Luck all the same ..... good to see something new on the scene & hopefully "the rising tide lifts all boats" theory will work here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

An12fr3 wrote: »
    Second,If Waterford City is to become one of the top night spots in Ireland then it needs a modern state of the art nightclub with continual investment.

Every reasonable person will agree that a business needs to cover its costs. So if the foundry gives a new experience, better than a late bar, people will pay extra (for the expense of maintaining a nice environment or good DJ). But if its basically the same as Masons, why pay the extra? I don't really see a big difference between Mason/Harveys and a nightclub, but maybe I'm just too old.

But anyway, they have their capital costs and their variable costs. They have to cover their variable costs. But the capital cost? They already sunk in €4m. That's gone now. I think they overpaid, and won't see it back. Now they can just make the most of it.

As I said, people will pay more if its something better, but aren't willing to be ripped off. €5 for a Monday night. Seriously?

I don't think this place will close. Dinn Rí may sell up and take a loss on the money they invested. But suppose someone bought it for €1million. I reckon then they could afford to keep prices low and turn a profit.

I would be willing to pay extra for a place with nice comfy couches. The bar would make less due to less people in the bar, but I'd be willing to pay for the comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 An12fr3

:) Not sure how to answer all them questions at once. I'll help you with a little insight though.The drink price crash in Bars (all over the country not just Waterford) came shortly after the Groceries Order Act of 2005.This act allowed off-licences-Tescos-etc to start below cost selling of alcohol to increase footfall.In turn as you have all noticed pubs had to drop their prices too as a direct result to compete with this and house parties,roughly around 2008.However, all over Ireland despite some promotions most places that have gone down the road of cheap drink have literally gone down the road in a 2 year time limit.

Back to the bones of my point, if you are getting a good nightclub product for the city then it should be a positive thing.If the Foundry want to employ me, Quote the Joker "If you're good a something never do it for free" ;)

Advertisement