Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

AdMMM wrote: »
    Think I ended up in Escape. Was off my box.

Love this comment! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Was out in London last night. Just not the same as back home on St. Patrick's Day though. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

As this thread is very long, does anyone care to give a summary of what's open now and type of music/crowd they cater to?

Also, I'm curious were many in the Foundry last night? I'd expect last night was quiet after people celebrated Lá Fhéile Pádraig, but I'm curious if people were deterred by the cover charge. How was town in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

dayshah wrote: »
    As this thread is very long, does anyone care to give a summary of what's open now and type of music/crowd they cater to?

Also, I'm curious were many in the Foundry last night? I'd expect last night was quiet after people celebrated Lá Fhéile Pádraig, but I'm curious if people were deterred by the cover charge. How was town in general?

To answer your some of your question. The foundry is Waterford's newest creche, full of kids but they are paying the charge but no sign of the older crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

dayshah wrote: »

Might be an idea to do a little run down on each venue/pub of note and edit it into ATBB's OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I have often done a little summary whenever someone asks. I think the FadeStGirl thread was the most recent one I did.

AdMMM wrote: »
    I have often done a little summary whenever someone asks. I think the FadeStGirl thread was the most recent one I did.

Can you did up a link? I'm on the mobile site. I'll throw into the OP tomorrow at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Here ya go:
    Anyway, Nightlife in Waterford is currently going through (what we hope to be) a re-invention. The only nightclubs that are open at the moment are (in no particular order, lest I be accused of favouritism);

Masons - Aggressively targeting students with special nights (e.g. €3 Thirsty Tuesdays) with decent bands downstairs and a club upstairs which has recently upgraded their sound system to something that makes you feel like you're in the middle of an earth quake at times.

Harvey's - Historically expensive and for a while was one of the only places in Waterford to have a door charge. Great smoking area which also has a cocktail bar (Skittles come highly recommended). I'm really not a fan of the dancefloor though. Seems to be just stuck in the corner of the place and just looks odd.

Escape - An extension to the gastrobar that is Revolution. You can really make a night of it here with food being served until midnight (although admittedly I've never seen anyone dare order a steak at 11:55). They have some great cocktails here too and the club is just up the stairs. Have bands playing downstairs regularly too and when they have the entire place open i.e. Escape club upstairs, the Basement Bar downstairs and Revolution itself, it's very impressive with something for everyone.

The Forum - Located at the top of the town. Traditionally an Indie club on Saturday nights but has really found its feet since launching Decades in the Lounge part of it downstairs. Only open weekends unless they have bands on (e.g. Villagers last Monday night).

I've enjoyed myself on nights out where I've ended up in Dignity too. Pole conveniently located in the middle of the floor too so you can show off (or in my case, fall off) in style. Lots of themed nights there as well so if you want something different, it's a good bet. Not sure if they have a late license on weekdays.

The Kazbar and the recently opened Front Lounge (not named after the gaybar in Dublin ) also have late licenses on the weekend with the former trying to be all things to all people in a limited space while the latter is going after those who want to see a decent band and listen to decent music afterwards.

You'll also have The Woodman opening up this weekend, it's an old mans pub (and I mean that in the nicest possible way) but I always made sure to include it in any pub crawls I was on in town.

In the first half of next year, you'll have the new Rubys open, branded as The Foundry, and I'm guessing that the work they're doing on the pub across the road from it (formerly Muldoons) will also be nearing completion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

you all need to give up with this 'creche' business and stop being so patronising. if it wasnt for these so called 'kids' waterford wouldnt have a nightlife at all

kkdela6 wrote: »
    you all need to give up with this 'creche' business and stop being so patronising. if it wasnt for these so called 'kids' waterford wouldnt have a nightlife at all

you can't blame people for not wanting to be in the same venue as the average 17-21 crowd. IMHO people who are 26+ just have different tastes to those (i'm assuming) your age be it music, loudness, vibe or even drinks. it's not saying that we are better then them just different. there are of course exceptions to both sides but this is my experience

You won't believe this but in 10 years (again assuming your 18ish) you will be in your late 20's early 30's and you'll be amazed at how different your tastes are to those in their teens. and we'll be touching our 40's complaing about you in your 20's :)

just a fact of life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

ziedth wrote: »
    you can't blame people for not wanting to be in the same venue as the average 17-21 crowd. IMHO people who are 26+ just have different tastes to those (i'm assuming) your age be it music, loudness, vibe or even drinks. it's not saying that we are better then them just different. there are of course exceptions to both sides but this is my experience

You won't believe this but in 10 years (again assuming your 18ish) you will be in your late 20's early 30's and you'll be amazed at how different your tastes are to those in their teens. and we'll be touching our 40's complaing about you in your 20's :)

just a fact of life.

ah yeah i understand that alright, and truth be told i cant stand nightclubs anyway, i'm more of a pub man :) i just think its unfair to be speaking about the young people as if they are a burden, imagine a nightclub full of 30 year olds! im only 22 myself but it really is the students and , ahem 'kids' that keep the bit of nightlife we have left going not just in waterford but everywhere! its not the young people that are the problem, its the scumbags :/

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭aziz

its not the young people that are the problem, its the scumbags :/[/QUOTE]

never a truer word spoken:D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭theillest

Yeah too many **** around Waterford in general,i blame it on who ever decided to put every nightclub in one city on one street so when half 2/3 o clock hits every drunk clown looking for a fight is on the same street...

Besides that,the foundry seems like a bit of a ****ing joke,like if people wernt paying ten euro to get in to Rubys,why would any person with any sort of sence pay ten euro to got to the foundry?The djs playing in there are the same djs that have been residents in harveys and rubys and where ever else for YEARS...most of em in their 40s at this stage no disrespect to them or anything but Waterford has so many new young djs,between Intersection,Untz,Posh funk,etc etc...and the cti filled with djs doing sound engineering,all who are well capable of doing exactly what any of these djs are up to.Personally i reckon waterfords nightclub owners need to get new fresh faces with a bit of innovation rather than just playing a few now 67 cds back to back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 HighKingOfIre

theillest wrote: »
    Yeah too many **** around Waterford in general,i blame it on who ever decided to put every nightclub in one city on one street so when half 2/3 o clock hits every drunk clown looking for a fight is on the same street...

Besides that,the foundry seems like a bit of a ****ing joke,like if people wernt paying ten euro to get in to Rubys,why would any person with any sort of sence pay ten euro to got to the foundry?The djs playing in there are the same djs that have been residents in harveys and rubys and where ever else for YEARS...most of em in their 40s at this stage no disrespect to them or anything but Waterford has so many new young djs,between Intersection,Untz,Posh funk,etc etc...and the cti filled with djs doing sound engineering,all who are well capable of doing exactly what any of these djs are up to.Personally i reckon waterfords nightclub owners need to get new fresh faces with a bit of innovation rather than just playing a few now 67 cds back to back...

Could we get that in bullet points please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

I don’t think the djs that they have now were in Ruby’s looking at their facebook, but I agree with you some of the djs they have in their are not suited to a club at all and the age group they are playing to, they are old lads more suited to a Muldoon’s crowd. No offence lads:) I have heard some fantastic commercial djs around Waterford from behind the bars I have worked in. But then again with the younger djs starting off as you have said are they reliable? Are they used to playing to large crowds in clubs? I presume you can’t jump out of your bedroom and straight into a club I presume it takes years. And as you mention posh funk etc their style of music would not be suited to a mainstream club. The crowd that go to the Foundry want now 67 crap. But I agree they should give local commercial djs a chance obviously who ever is hiring the foundry djs hasn’t a clue about dj's

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭theillest

to many people who dont know how to behave after drinking

foundry has same djs that have been playing around waterford for the past how ever many years

waterford has plenty of young tallent djs

waterford needs new djs rather than lads who are old enough to be the croweds dads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

to many people who dont know how to behave after drinking

foundry has same djs that have been playing around waterford for the past how ever many years

waterford needs new djs rather than lads who are old enough to be the croweds dads

Ageist nonsense. There are plenty of 'older' DJs capable of playing mainstream pop, R&B, Techno etc. Andy McCloskey for one. Blame the clubs for the DJs they hire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

They're just going for safe, tried and trusted, through the books DJs. Too much of a risk for them going for DJs that want to make a name for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

What place if any in the city is the best spot for some dance music that is not the basic chart stuff?

Few of us heading down in a few weeks.Last time we were there we ended up in Escape/Revolution and its was a decent place but the music was the todayfm playlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

raven136 wrote: »
    What place if any in the city is the best spot for some dance music that is not the basic chart stuff?

Few of us heading down in a few weeks.Last time we were there we ended up in Escape/Revolution and its was a decent place but the music was the todayfm playlist.

what's the age group?

most places in waterford will only play the chart stuff I'm afraid though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

True true, problem there is theres an ole clic with the club craic
    rubys used to use two precorded cdr,s most nites of the week with some guy mc/dj'ing in the box,lol
    Same craic with the jobs most went to old happy tweedyball clic....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Ledger wrote: »
    what's the age group?

most places in waterford will only play the chart stuff I'm afraid though

Few of us aged 18-28 in the group.Most places are the same the country wide.

What is traffik like?Is it an indie club or a gig venue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Can't comment on traffik I'm afraid sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Revolution basement bar is the only place in the centre of town for the not so obvious dance tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

Mostly house music down this way raven if that's ye're thing. Traffic is a indie club alright but also have bands from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,565 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Upstairs in Masons

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

The basement at the back of revolution is the ONLY regualr. Usually weekly dance music club, usually locals and all the best djs from around the world.

When are you down and il find out who is playing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 viking2011

try the basement bar in Revolution,
    dance club most saturday nights
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=55088627637
    or
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=722978238

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Mpower85

An12fr3 wrote: »
    I've been follow this thread for a couple of months now. I'm a research student in DIT and have been researching nightclubs all over the country and europe for 10 years now.There are a couple of things that I believe have been completely missed here.

Firstly, The argument of price and comparison to Masons, Harveys etc to the Foundry Waterford is completely invalid as none of these venues are actually nightclubs.They are all late bars.At present there is no nightclub (population 300+) in Waterford.The last time I researched Waterford, when rubys and oxygen were both running their door policy was to charge outsiders/tourists and free for anyone that wanted to walk up through Muldoons etc.No wonder nobody from outside came to Waterford,and no wonder the nightclubs went belly up with this policy.

Second,If Waterford City is to become one of the top night spots in Ireland then it needs a modern state of the art nightclub with continual investment.I believe, but am not sure the Foundry have bought the 2 venues.With their history of nightclubs,surely they will achieve this.Look at Carlow,the same recession,yet every weekend people from all over the country go there.Fair enough it is one of the top 3 clubs in Ireland but the point is and going on research,Waterford City does not attract any catchment area outside the City.Carlow,and lets be honest,not exactly a metropolis takes people from all over south Leinster/Ireland to the town on Fri, Sat n Sun night.Not to mention the student business.This generates tourism,job growth,economy growth and direct employment.Waterford needs that!

Thirdly in my research,Waterford proved a quandary and hard to pin-point the reason why the nightclub scene completely hit the wall (All opinions greatly appreciated).I believe the people took the nightclubs for granted and the attitude of not paying (only city/town/place in Ireland btw) proved to backfire on the whole city as currently there are no nightclubs.The only place/town/city in Ireland.This is only my opinion but this is not good for the city or tourism of Waterford.

Fourth,In all my years of research,cheap drink usually ends one way for pubs and clubs,CLOSED,the list is endless all over the country!If it is the same owners as it appears to be in Carlow then they are surely in Waterfod for the long haul.Given their performance in Carlow (including competitors) I would fancy them to make a long and lasting impression in Waterford. Note:Friends in office came back from a Stag in Carlow and quote of week was 'why is there not a Foundry in Dublin?'

I would suggest that maybe Waterford should be encouraging one of the top nightclub operators in the country to its city but ultimately this is up to the people of Waterford. I'm looking forward to getting back to Waterford in the next couple of months to check out the Scene and hope you enjoy d comments :)

I know for a fact they bought muldoons and oxygen too! they told me in the interview for the foundry! 3 million they spent on it and omg it looks amazing in there and def cleaner then rubys!! lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Mpower85

I work in the foundry waterford and mostly everynight theres a good crowd in there! nice atmosphere there, it is 10 times better then rubys! Rubys was a **** hole!!

Advertisement