Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

No way really?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Ledger wrote: »
    That was quick :confused:

Im sure the boardsie who works there will say it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

And what about their nice metallic signage outside advertising the 7 nights a week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Tipex..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Well theres a lovely man with a ladder out the front right now and it looks like he's fixing the sign..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Welcome to Waterford I guess is the only thing to say. I'm taking bets what's next to come in:

5 Days a week

Only weekends

Cut/abolish entry price

Drinks promotions

The safe money is on the going back to only weekends for the summer while the students are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I imagine it will go in that order!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

ziedth wrote: »
    Welcome to Waterford I guess is the only thing to say. I'm taking bets what's next to come in:

5 Days a week

Only weekends

Cut/abolish entry price

Drinks promotions

The safe money is on the going back to only weekends for the summer while the students are gone.

Im taking bets on the direction posts on this topic will take:

Rubys closes

Ppl complain of the lack of nightlife in Waterford

A new club "The Foundry" announces its opening

Ppl complain that the new owners, being from Carlow,
    know nothing buoy,

Posts delight in its decision to not open Tuesday

Foundry closes down, posts say "I'll told ya so buoy"

Posts restart complaining about the lack of nightlife in Waterford.

Moral of story -- Be careful what you wish for!

God, your no fun :P

BTW, as someone who is currently out of work I take zero joy out of anybody loosing their jobs.

I was happy with the coming to town till they tried to treat us like fools by making out their high priced drinks are somehow a better quality to other drinks around town. That was it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Actually something that occurred to me is how many outsiders must look at this thread e.g. stag and hen parties, given the high ranking in Google. Some of the reviews here don't do The Foundry justice at all. Many of them are from people who wouldn't have darkened the door of Ruby's for reasons such as music taste or age.

At the end of the day, it is a hop, skip and jump better than what Ruby's was. The staff seem to have found a new enthusiasm for working there (probably glad to have a job again) and the place itself is unlike anything we have ever seen in Waterford in terms of level of design and technology involved.

If an outsider was read this thread, the impression they'd get is that the Foundry is full of scumbags, with fights constantly breaking out, topped off with DJ's that don't have a clue of what to play. In reality, The Foundry have some of the most experienced doormen in Waterford, a comprehensive CCTV system and DJ's that - while certainly not being world class - could hold their own anywhere.

The Foundry certainly isn't my preferred type of spot to hit, but that's because of my own personal taste and 9 times out of 10 I'd be going to Masons to see a band during the week and 10/10 would go to the Forum for Traffik on weekends. I have no doubt that if it was dance, RnB, Hip-hop that I was into, then I'd love the Foundry.

Personally I think we should be a bit mindful of what we say when there are potentially so many would-be visitors to Waterford looking at the thread. The regulars here might all know you prefer your late bars with mellow music etc but people who only come on and see this one thread definitely won't!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

Don't think anyone is trying to treat the people of Waterford like fools.
    It's just that sometimes the people of Waterford can be a bit sensitive when it comes to criticism. Don't know what has happened to the town over the past 10yrs or so. Got talking about it with other ppl & someone suggested that yes, ppl don't have the same disposable income but somehow they do have cash to throw around on mobile top-up's, internet charges etc. These "extras" did'nt exist 10yrs ago. Dunno exactly but I suppose the average person would top up/bill pay about 20euro a week, i-phones cost a bit to run aswell. All these little additional supposedly essential life fees would have been ploughed into the till of a pub 10yrs ago. So the question is are we better off now or then??

AdMMM wrote: »
    Actually something that occurred to me is how many outsiders must look at this thread e.g. stag and hen parties, given the high ranking in Google. Some of the reviews here don't do The Foundry justice at all. Many of them are from people who wouldn't have darkened the door of Ruby's for reasons such as music taste or age.

At the end of the day, it is a hop, skip and jump better than what Ruby's was. The staff seem to have found a new enthusiasm for working there (probably glad to have a job again) and the place itself is unlike anything we have ever seen in Waterford in terms of level of design and technology involved.

If an outsider was read this thread, the impression they'd get is that the Foundry is full of scumbags, with fights constantly breaking out, topped off with DJ's that don't have a clue of what to play. In reality, The Foundry have some of the most experienced doormen in Waterford, a comprehensive CCTV system and DJ's that - while certainly not being world class - could hold their own anywhere.

The Foundry certainly isn't my preferred type of spot to hit, but that's because of my own personal taste and 9 times out of 10 I'd be going to Masons to see a band during the week and 10/10 would go to the Forum for Traffik on weekends. I have no doubt that if it was dance, RnB, Hip-hop that I was into, then I'd love the Foundry.

Personally I think we should be a bit mindful of what we say when there are potentially so many would-be visitors to Waterford looking at the thread. The regulars here might all know you prefer your late bars with mellow music etc but people who only come on and see this one thread definitely won't!

That's a fair point actually. reminds me I must put that neutral overview into the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

ziedth wrote: »
    I was happy with the coming to town till they tried to treat us like fools by making out their high priced drinks are somehow a better quality to other drinks around town. That was it for me.

Actually this often happens to me, with soft drinks.

It really annoys me that if I specifically ask for a 7-up I'm often given Sprite. This is without asking me is it ok. I mean if someone asked for Heineken would you just serve them a Budweiser.

This has happened in Geoffs, Revolution, the Gingerman, and probably other places that don't immediately come to mind.

If its for me I let them pour the drink, and then tell them its not what I asked for. If the pub is out of the drink in question (or don't stock it) is it so tough to say, we don't do 7-up would you like a Sprite instead?

Similarly for Club Orange and Fanta. Fanta is crap, Club Orange is nice and is made in Ireland.

Regarding the Foundry, I hope their pricing policy fails, but I hope the place succeeds.

The giving the wrong drinks though that happens across Waterford is just unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

dayshah wrote: »
    Actually this often happens to me, with soft drinks.

It really annoys me that if I specifically ask for a 7-up I'm often given Sprite. This is without asking me is it ok. I mean if someone asked for Heineken would you just serve them a Budweiser.

This has happened in Geoffs, Revolution, the Gingerman, and probably other places that don't immediately come to mind.

If its for me I let them pour the drink, and then tell them its not what I asked for. If the pub is out of the drink in question (or don't stock it) is it so tough to say, we don't do 7-up would you like a Sprite instead?

Similarly for Club Orange and Fanta. Fanta is crap, Club Orange is nice and is made in Ireland.

Regarding the Foundry, I hope their pricing policy fails, but I hope the place succeeds.

The giving the wrong drinks though that happens across Waterford is just unprofessional.

The problem is that Sprite and Fanta are bottled/supplied by Coca Cola Ireland and you get very generous discounts with them for buying large quantities of stock. I'd say 7UP and Club will become even less common in pubs except where their stock volume doesn't make using Coca Cola as a supplier so enticing. Especially since most people are willing to drink Sprite and Fanta. I don't disagree with you though, Fanta is ****e!

Adyx wrote: »
    The problem is that Sprite and Fanta are bottled/supplied by Coca Cola Ireland and you get very generous discounts with them for buying large quantities of stock. I'd say 7UP and Club will become even less common in pubs except where their stock volume doesn't make using Coca Cola as a supplier so enticing. Especially since most people are willing to drink Sprite and Fanta. I don't disagree with you though, Fanta is ****e!

OK, I'd prefer if everywhere had club orange, but I understand the mark up is less (which is why lots of shops only sell Fanta).

What annoys me is being given the wrong drink without being asked, and sometimes without even being told.

In Revolution the bar man poured the drink into the glass, not on the sly or anything, but didn't give me the bottle. So if I wasn't observant I would have only realised when I tasted it.

OK, I'd prefer if everywhere had club orange, but I understand the mark up is less (which is why lots of shops only sell Fanta).

What annoys me is being given the wrong drink without being asked, and sometimes without even being told.

In Revolution the bar man poured the drink into the glass, not on the sly or anything, but didn't give me the bottle. So if I wasn't observant I would have only realised when I tasted it.

I think it depends on the pub TBH, like of you were having a drink in a hotel i'd be very surprised if the staff didn't say we don't have 7-up while in Harveys its (usually) a much busier bar so it's a case of serve you and onto the next person.

I can't say it's something that would bother me personally but I can understand why you'd be peeved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

In fairness if it was a quiet time of day or night, I would agree with you but at 1 o'clock on a Saturday night, if someone asks for a vodka and 7up with 3 more people waiting behind him, I wouldn't expect him to ask, nor would I ask myself. In my experience anyway, people tend to look at you like you have 2 heads or better yet, completely ignore you if you try to clarify their order beyond what they've asked for.

Like I said though, when it's quiet, it would be just common courtesy and trying to do it sneakily is just wrong.

Adyx wrote: »
    In fairness if it was a quiet time of day or night, I would agree with you but at 1 o'clock on a Saturday night, if someone asks for a vodka and 7up with 3 more people waiting behind him, I wouldn't expect him to ask, nor would I ask myself. In my experience anyway, people tend to look at you like you have 2 heads or better yet, completely ignore you if you try to clarify their order beyond what they've asked for.

Like I said though, when it's quiet, it would be just common courtesy and trying to do it sneakily is just wrong.

It would have happened when it was fairly quiet. Later I'd normally be drinking beer. I normally just have soft drinks if I go to the pub after being to the cinema or if I'm in a pub in the afternoon.

Normally I just ask, 'do you have club orange'? But a few times they say yes and then give me Fanta!!! I think there is as big a difference between Bud and Heineken as Coke and Pepsi or Fanta and Club Orange. Plus pint for pint soft drinks are more expensive than beer.

I suppose its just down to the owners not bothering to train staff properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Deise Dolly

Same thing seemed to be going on in Harvey's a while back and Ruby's before it closed. I asked for 2 vodkas and Red Bull and was given Burn instead of Red Bull. It was poured into the glasses by the bar man in Ruby's, which I thought was a bit odd. Usually they leave the mixer separate, but he possibly poured it in so I wouldn't ask to change it. I'm presuming they were pushing Burn because it's supplied by Coca Cola. I know it's a minor thing, but you should get what you ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

What make me laugh about this thread is the fact that for such a crap time around the city, Waterford is probably only second to Dublin for its Dance Music scene, the Acts that play here on a regular basis often don't play the bigger cities, Waterford dance community is renowned the world over for its a) hospitality b)atmosphere and c)knowledge .

I know its a niche market and is underground in many ways, but it still is a thriving scene and one of the few event based nights, that fills clubs or bars in this town. It often gets overlooked by the mainstream (99% on here, admittedly) but still nice to know that even in these times of recession etc, that groups of lads in town are willing to put their money where their mouth is for something they believe in, rather than just going to a Harveys, Masons or Foundary and then come on here give out because its not their thing..

I think its commendable of place like Revolution, Forum , and several bars etc that keep to the Live Music or dance music scene going in Waterford and make sure Waterford is on the list of the some of the better touring artists and DJs.

I really dont get why someone would come on here and give out about a venue because they keep doing this or keep doing that.. If a venue does something that I dont agree with or like , I just stop going. its not rocket science.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

It would have happened when it was fairly quiet. Later I'd normally be drinking beer. I normally just have soft drinks if I go to the pub after being to the cinema or if I'm in a pub in the afternoon.

Normally I just ask, 'do you have club orange'? But a few times they say yes and then give me Fanta!!! I think there is as big a difference between Bud and Heineken as Coke and Pepsi or Fanta and Club Orange. Plus pint for pint soft drinks are more expensive than beer.

I suppose its just down to the owners not bothering to train staff properly.

or the fact that 99% of the people either dont say its a problem or dont care.

Mpower85 wrote: »
    I work in the foundry waterford and mostly everynight theres a good crowd in there! nice atmosphere there, it is 10 times better then rubys! Rubys was a **** hole!!

Is it true the workers are barred from going in there on their nights off?
    What part of the place do you work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Mpower85

unfortunately it is closed every tuesday as masons are doin the 2.50 drinks. Well i was in there last thurs and got in for free and my boss didnt mind i was there! more customers the better! Im down in the cloakroom where rubys lounge used to be or im on the floor collectin the glasses!

unfortunately it is closed every tuesday as masons are doin the 2.50 drinks. Well i was in there last thurs and got in for free and my boss didnt mind i was there! more customers the better! Im down in the cloakroom where rubys lounge used to be or im on the floor collectin the glasses!

Oh thats one nil to Masons!! So no truth in workers been barred to go in there on their nights off?

1 nil to masons well thats the way its goin to happen! disaster last tues 85 people in there and i was sent home at 1pm! no truth about the workers been barred! i dont know where u heard that from! ;)

STIG83 wrote: »
    Oh thats one nil to Masons!! So no truth in workers been barred to go in there on their nights off?

workers are regularly barred from going drinking in their own place of work. I cant drink where i work mainly because id be given drink for next to nothin and probably for my buddys aswell.
    Why is everyone making the foundry the enemy?????

O Riain wrote: »
    workers are regularly barred from going drinking in their own place of work. I cant drink where i work mainly because id be given drink for next to nothin and probably for my buddys aswell.
    Why is everyone making the foundry the enemy?????

where do u work? well in fairness now i dont get free drink! im treated the same as everyone else there just cos i work there! thats mad never heard gettin barred from u work place! they be delighted to see us in there as long we dont cause trouble then they have to barr us!

where do u work? well in fairness now i dont get free drink! im treated the same as everyone else there just cos i work there! thats mad never heard gettin barred from u work place! they be delighted to see us in there as long we dont cause trouble then they have to barr us!

ah i dont work in waterford city now, i wudnt say its the norm but completely understandable why a place would do it(ours does it cause the stock is always waaaaaaaaaaaay down haha).

lol i was chancing my arm to get a free sambuca but no .....lol... we have a staff night out and goin to exchange, woodman and then the competition place masons! haha

• Advertisement

O Riain wrote: »
    or the fact that 99% of the people either dont say its a problem or dont care.

Well maybe if you did a Cert in Bar Management you would learn its general good practice to serve people the drinks they ask for. People shouldn't have to speak up to get the actual drink they asked for rather than a cheap knock off.

There is a huge difference between Coke and Pepsi, and Club Orange and Fanta. Perhaps your pub would do better if you served your customers in a professional manner, rather than serving lower quality drinks that you think are the same?

Advertisement