Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Butternutz1

Hey dayshah what did the manager say when you complained about getting the wrong drink? I presume you complained .?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

O Riain wrote: »
    workers are regularly barred from going drinking in their own place of work. I cant drink where i work mainly because id be given drink for next to nothin and probably for my buddys aswell.
    Why is everyone making the foundry the enemy?????

There's a pub in Ross, that they woman running it won't let her husband or son drink there when they're off in case of getting into arguments with customers when a bit tipsy. I can see the logic in it tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Is it true that the foundry went free in last Friday and sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I was there on Friday and had to pay. €7 I think. We were there before midnight though so it might have changed later in the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Hey dayshah what did the manager say when you complained about getting the wrong drink? I presume you complained .?

I only ever said it to the bar man or waitress in question. If they give me fanta I don't take it and ask for orange juice instead (and maybe mix it with 7-up if I'm feeling flashy).

Usually they are polite about it, sometimes they put on a face. I never really felt the need to demand to see the manager about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Mpower85 wrote: »
    1 nil to masons well thats the way its goin to happen! disaster last tues 85 people in there and i was sent home at 1pm! no truth about the workers been barred! i dont know where u heard that from! ;)

well a mate of mine who works there has told me the staff cant drink there when they off, he not the only friend i have working there either to say it, kinda strange the confusion there isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Terry Cotta

savic04 wrote: »
    What make me laugh about this thread is the fact that for such a crap time around the city, Waterford is probably only second to Dublin for its Dance Music scene, the Acts that play here on a regular basis often don't play the bigger cities, Waterford dance community is renowned the world over for its a) hospitality b)atmosphere and c)knowledge .

I know its a niche market and is underground in many ways, but it still is a thriving scene and one of the few event based nights, that fills clubs or bars in this town. It often gets overlooked by the mainstream (99% on here, admittedly) but still nice to know that even in these times of recession etc, that groups of lads in town are willing to put their money where their mouth is for something they believe in, rather than just going to a Harveys, Masons or Foundary and then come on here give out because its not their thing..

I think its commendable of place like Revolution, Forum , and several bars etc that keep to the Live Music or dance music scene going in Waterford and make sure Waterford is on the list of the some of the better touring artists and DJs.

I really dont get why someone would come on here and give out about a venue because they keep doing this or keep doing that.. If a venue does something that I dont agree with or like , I just stop going. its not rocket science.

Yep. Waterford definitely has one of the best underground scenes in Ireland. Good things going on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

Is it true that the foundry went free in last Friday and sunday?
    Yep they were handing out free passes on the street if u didnt have a free pass it was 7 euro i think.I hear masons and harveys were both busier on saturday night which is surprisin considerin its only its 2nd saturday open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Yep. Waterford definitely has one of the best underground scenes in Ireland. Good things going on ;)
    It's nowhere near as good as it used to be but yeah we have a good enough scene here and at least there are still top DJs coming to play here on a regular enough basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

dayshah wrote: »
    Well maybe if you did a Cert in Bar Management you would learn its general good practice to serve people the drinks they ask for. People shouldn't have to speak up to get the actual drink they asked for rather than a cheap knock off.

There is a huge difference between Coke and Pepsi, and Club Orange and Fanta. Perhaps your pub would do better if you served your customers in a professional manner, rather than serving lower quality drinks that you think are the same?

Ah now you don't need a cert to be good at this job, I'd take experience over a qualification any day, especially for somewhere in Waterford.

Pepsi, Fanta and Sprite are not cheap knock offs either. In fact I'm pretty sure Fanta has been around a lot longer than Club. But in any case they all cost about the same and just because you don't like them doesn't make them lower quality There are plenty of people who do like the taste of those drinks. I prefer Pepsi to Coke for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

kryogen wrote: »
    well a mate of mine who works there has told me the staff cant drink there when they off, he not the only friend i have working there either to say it, kinda strange the confusion there isnt it?

I don't understand the logic to be honest. If they are worried about their staff giving out cheap drinks to each other then surely they shouldn't have hired people they couldn't trust in the first place and that won't stop staff giving cheap drinks to their friends when they are working.

I can understand the pub in Ross that was mentioned but it's comparing apples and oranges to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

ziedth wrote: »
    I don't understand the logic to be honest. If they are worried about their staff giving out cheap drinks to each other then surely they shouldn't have hired people they couldn't trust in the first place and that won't stop staff giving cheap drinks to their friends when they are working.

I can understand the pub in Ross that was mentioned but it's comparing apples and oranges to be honest.

Anyway who wants a busmans holiday :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

ziedth wrote: »

Fair point.

Adyx wrote: »
    Ah now you don't need a cert to be good at this job, I'd take experience over a qualification any day, especially for somewhere in Waterford.

Pepsi, Fanta and Sprite are not cheap knock offs either. In fact I'm pretty sure Fanta has been around a lot longer than Club. But in any case they all cost about the same and just because you don't like them doesn't make them lower quality There are plenty of people who do like the taste of those drinks. I prefer Pepsi to Coke for instance.

I agree experience is better if you learned from a good manager. But you'd be surprised the number of people in retail who can't get basic stock rotation right. I suppose its similar for bars. People who learned from a bad manager though might benefit from a course.

I agree Fanta isn't a knock off (now if someone gave me a bottle of Cadet Orange I'd probably ask to see the manager :) ) and some people prefer Sprite to 7-up and vice versa, but they are cheaper to the pub when you include the promotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Deise Dolly

Mooley22 wrote: »
    Yep they were handing out free passes on the street if u didnt have a free pass it was 7 euro i think.I hear masons and harveys were both busier on saturday night which is surprisin considerin its only its 2nd saturday open.

They were handing out free passes in City Square last week too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Mpower85

kryogen wrote: »

we are allowed to drink in there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭alphapa

masons doing 2:50 all drinks all week next week! bar wars ya gotta love em!!! id say the foundry is delighted at this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

The bar wars begins.

It's a nice goodbye to the students. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

It's a real sign of how far Masons are willing to go though isn't it?

• Advertisement

ya were not impressed lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Slightly off topic, but I need to ask.

Can anyone tell me what exactly Mason's smoking area is like? Been in there plenty of times but never to smoking area.
    However, I was ever so slightly out of my mind on Druids on Paddy's day and seem to remember being in there, and smoking, but I remember flooding and standing on pallets in an alleyway.

Can anyone tell me what the feck was goin on in that smoking area on Paddy's day?

Slightly off topic, but I need to ask.

Can anyone tell me what exactly Mason's smoking area is like? Been in there plenty of times but never to smoking area.
    However, I was ever so slightly out of my mind on Druids on Paddy's day and seem to remember being in there, and smoking, but I remember flooding and standing on pallets in an alleyway.

Can anyone tell me what the feck was goin on in that smoking area on Paddy's day?

its small and narrow!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Not from Waterford but have friends down there in college so id be down for nights out

Is it a bad thing Masons are doing 2.50 drinks?

People giving out about bar prices in Ireland for years but i find when a pub seems to do cheap deals people turn their nose at them alot

bigpink wrote: »
    Not from Waterford but have friends down there in college so id be down for nights out

Is it a bad thing Masons are doing 2.50 drinks?

People giving out about bar prices in Ireland for years but i find when a pub seems to do cheap deals people turn their nose at them alot

No, its a good thing. Waterford is now home of the Bar-Wars, go tell your friends :)

And they can stay in style as our hotels are Ireland's cheapest, but the same quality rating as elsewhere (eg for 3 star, 4 star etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

The Foundry should have known something like what Masons are doing would have happened, it wasnt going to be like open up a new club and get the crowds in there.

With any luck Waterford might become the Aldi of ireland. Maybe we should look into our own currency as well.

The Deise.

That was a beautiful meal...and it only came to 15 Deises. That's value for ya.

Harveys have up their prices in drink now!

Mpower...you officially have an agenda ;-)

• Advertisement

Mpower...you officially have an agenda ;-)

lol

Advertisement